View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Marino files concussion lawsuit 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Marino files concussion lawsuit
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ainst-nfl/

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Marino files concussion lawsuit
Those 1980s uniforms are SO nice...it's a shame we changed logos/color scheme. Must have been a great era to watch football.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

What ever happened to Marino taking a role with the team?

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I got fired from CBS. I'm going to jump in & try to get some free money. Just lost what respect I had left for Marino. Cheated on his wife, now a money grubber.

The other former players filing suit with Marino are

Erik Affholter ( Played 1 yr in the NFL )
Richard Bishop ( Played 8 yr in the NFL )
Bruce Clark ( Played 10 Yrs in the NFL )
Chris Dugan ( He is a Kicker, yes a Kicker )
Anthony Grant ( Cannot Find him )
Mark Green ( Played 4 Yrs in the NFL )
John Huddleston ( Played 2 Yrs in the NFL )
Ethan Johnson ( Played 1 Yrs in the NFL )
LaCurtis Jones ( 10 Games in the NFL )
Peter Manning ( 9 Games in the NFL )
Moses Moreno ( 9 Games in the NFL )
Toddrick McIntosh ( Played 2 Yrs in the NFL )
Jackie Wallace ( Played 1 Yrs in the NFL )
Dwight Wheeler ( Played 9 Yrs in the NFL )

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
The other former players filing suit with Marino are

Erik Affholter ( Played 1 yr in the NFL )
Richard Bishop ( Played 8 yr in the NFL )
Bruce Clark ( Played 10 Yrs in the NFL )
Chris Dugan ( He is a Kicker, yes a Kicker )
Anthony Grant ( Cannot Find him )
Mark Green ( Played 4 Yrs in the NFL )
John Huddleston ( Played 2 Yrs in the NFL )
Ethan Johnson ( Played 1 Yrs in the NFL )
LaCurtis Jones ( 10 Games in the NFL )
Peter Manning ( 9 Games in the NFL )
Moses Moreno ( 9 Games in the NFL )
Toddrick McIntosh ( Played 2 Yrs in the NFL )
Jackie Wallace ( Played 1 Yrs in the NFL )
Dwight Wheeler ( Played 9 Yrs in the NFL )

It's a shame to see Marino's names being mixed in with those guys...don't recognize any of them.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It might be a shame that he is doing this, but it doesn't change how I feel about his past and the memories he gave me playing for the Miami Dolphins. For me, his personal decisions are his personal business. Not my place to judge.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:17 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Disappointed, do you really need it Dan? Thought he was bigger than that.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:42 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Filing a lawsuit is not money grubbing its making ise of the justice system. A giant corporation that wrings people should be held accountable and without lawsuits we would see even more people be taken advantage of
Kudos to dan and everyone filing against the nfl i hatew hen people think lawsuits are about money when the money just happens to be the concession for injustice

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:57 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I got fired from CBS. I'm going to jump in & try to get some free money. Just lost what respect I had left for Marino. Cheated on his wife, now a money grubber

I hate to say it, but I feel the same way. He lost on an investment as well, shame.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:24 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Manhattan wrote:
Filing a lawsuit is not money grubbing its making ise of the justice system. A giant corporation that wrings people should be held accountable and without lawsuits we would see even more people be taken advantage of
Kudos to dan and everyone filing against the nfl i hatew hen people think lawsuits are about money when the money just happens to be the concession for injustice

In this case its money grubbing. Some of those players played more high school football/ more pee wee football than NFL, yet they are not filing a lawsuit against the HS or their local pee wee leagues. Why?

Guaranteed everyone of them that has a son has them in football.

Also, to say the NFL hid anything concussions only proves how stupid these guys really are. I never played college football, yet I knew that slamming my body/head around was not good for it.

Its not lost on me that Dan lost his CBS gig & now he is after some money. He lost 14 million on one investment.
Quote:

1. Dan Marino

Dan MarinoDan Marino, a former quarterback for the Miami Dolphins with a decorated NFL career, recently suffered a major financial setback after losing big in a major investment.

The nine-time Pro Bowler and current analyst with CBS’ The NFL Today, has accumulated millions over his career, but it seems he lost a major portion of that money in one investment in a company called Digital Domain from which he purchased 1,575,525 shares.

The company is popular for producing the famous hologram of dead rapper Tupac Shakur at the Coachella celebration earlier this year. However, the company recently filed for bankruptcy, taking Marino’s stock with it.

According to reports, the 51-year old Marino’s investment may have resulted in a loss of $14 million. (Image: bonanzasports.net)

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:28 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

i hatew hen people think lawsuits are about money

ummmm

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:31 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
I got fired from CBS. I'm going to jump in & try to get some free money.

I doubt if he needs the money.

PFT wrote:
"...claiming the league concealed the risk of concussions ..."

I don't think the NFL or the players knew the how bad concussions were to the brain as far as long term effects. They may as well sue themselves as well since they knew some of the risks and continued to play.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:40 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

the nfl knew one thing and told them another.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:03 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

The timing is a bit suspicious.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:43 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Manhattan wrote:
Filing a lawsuit is not money grubbing its making ise of the justice system.

So the woman that sued McDonalds because she spilled hot coffee on herself is just making use of the justice system?

Well, then it is time to change the justice system.

We must have the most litigious society in the world.

It is no wonder so many scumbag attorneys are so well off. They can invent new reasons to sue people.

"Hey my client slipped and fell while burglarizing this person's house, so they are liable for his medical bills!"

That's what happens today and it makes our justice system a joke.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:28 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Rich wrote:
Manhattan wrote:

So the woman that sued McDonalds because she spilled hot coffee on herself is just making use of the justice system?

It is no wonder so many scumbag attorneys are so well off. They can invent new reasons to sue people.

"Hey my client slipped and fell while burglarizing this person's house, so they are liable for his medical bills!"

But the cup didn't say it was hot!!!

Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:39 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

:awe:

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:31 am
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

Manhattan wrote:

This is all about money. All civil lawsuits are about money, some are justified, some are ridiculous.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:34 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Yes the woman who spilled coffee on herslf was making use of the legal system. Look it up. She got third degree burns and had to have skin graphs and almost died nobody should be in that situation from spilled coffee. Mcdonals had numerous cases of spilled coffee causing these sorts of burns but it wasnt ubtil they were penalized millions of dollars that they made a change. Corporations dont make change until they are harmed and they are harmed by massive money hits. The nfl is making changes to to its safety as a direct result to them losing money on these filings.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:34 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

And as for the burglar incident it just show the legal system works. He won because the law says even if you trespass you cant be liable for an injury so go after that absurd law rather than thr justice system.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:37 pm

Manhattan wrote:
Yes the woman who spilled coffee on herslf was making use of the legal system. Look it up. She got third degree burns and had to have skin graphs and almost died nobody should be in that situation from spilled coffee.

No one told her to spill the coffee on herself.

This is why we have people faking neck injuries and setting up accidents so they can sue someone and make easy money...

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Relax guys Marino backed out of the lawsuit

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:42 pm

Manhattan wrote:
And as for the burglar incident it just show the legal system works. He won because the law says even if you trespass you cant be liable for an injury so go after that absurd law rather than thr justice system.

He won because a jury of morons thought he should win.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:50 pm

Top 10 Frivolous Lawsuits

Quote:
In February 1992, Stella Liebeck ordered a cup of coffee to go from McDonalds. Liebeck was sitting in the passenger seat of her nephew's car, which was pulled over so she could add sugar to her coffee. While removing the cup's lid, Liebeck spilled her hot coffee, burning her legs. It was determined that Liebeck suffered third degree burns on over six percent of her body. Originally, Liebeck sought $20,000 in damages. McDonalds refused to settle out of court. However, they should have. Liebeck was ultimately awarded $200,000 in compensatory damages, which was reduced to $160,000 because she was found to be twenty percent at fault. She was also awarded $2.7 million in punitive damages.

In September 1988, two Akron, Ohio-based carpet layers named Gordon Falker and Gregory Roach were severely burned when a three and a half gallon container of carpet adhesive ignited when the hot water heater it was sitting next to kicked on. Both men felt the warning label on the back of the can was insufficient. Words like "flammable" and "keep away from heat" didn't prepare them for the explosion. They filed suit against the adhesive manufacturers, Para-Chem. A jury obviously agreed since the men were awarded $8 million for their troubles.

In 1992, 23-year old Karen Norman accidentally backed her car into GalvestonBay after a night of drinking. Norman couldn't operate her seat belt and drowned. Her passenger managed to disengage herself and make it to shore. Norman's parents sued Honda for making a seat belt their drunken daughter (her blood alcohol level was .17 - nearly twice the legal limit) couldn't open underwater. A jury found Honda seventy-five percent responsible for Karen's death and awarded the Norman family $65 million. An appeals court threw out the case.

In May 2003, Stephen Joseph of San Francisco sued Kraft foods for putting trans-fat in their Oreo cookies. Joseph wanted an injunction to order Kraft to stop selling Oreos to children. Once the media caught wind of Joseph's lawsuit, the media blitz became too much for him to handle. He decided to drop the suit.

In 1997, Larry Harris of Illinois broke into a bar owned by Jessie Ingram. Ingram, the victim of several break-ins, had recently set a trap around his windows to deter potential burglars. Harris, 37, who was under the influence of both alcohol and drugs, must have missed the warning sign prominently displayed in the window. He set off the trap as he entered the window, electrocuting himself. The police refused to file murder charges. Harris's family saw it differently, however, and filed a civil suit against Ingram. A jury originally awarded the Harris family $150,000. Later, the award was reduced to $75,000 when it was decided Harris should share at least half of the blame.

In 1991, Richard Harris sued Anheiser-Busch for $10,000 for false advertising. Harris (no relation to the above-mentioned burglar) claimed to suffer from emotional distress in addition to mental and physical injury. Why? Because when he drank beer, he didn't have any luck with the ladies, as promised in the TV ads. Harris also didn't like that he got sick sometimes after he drank. The case was thrown out of court.

In 1998, Kellogg sued Exxon because customers might confuse the gas station's "whimsical tiger logo" with Kellogg's mascot, "Tony the Tiger." It didn't matter, of course, that Exxon had already been using this logo for 30 years. A federal court tossed the suit. Kellogg appealed the case claiming the Exxon tiger walks and acts just like Kellogg's "Tony."

In 2003, Richard Schick sued his former employer, the Illinois Department of Public Aid. Schick sought $5 million plus $166,700 in back pay for sexual and disability discrimination. In fact, Shick was so stressed by this discrimination that he robbed a convenience store with a shotgun. A jury felt his pain and awarded him the money he was seeking. The decision was then reversed. Unfortunately, the $303,830 he was still awarded isn't doing him much good during the ten years he's serving for armed robbery.

In 1995, Robert Lee Brock, a Virginia prison inmate, decided to take a new approach to the legal system. After filing a number of unsuccessful lawsuits against the prison system, Brock sued himself. He claimed his civil rights and religious beliefs were violated when he allowed himself to get drunk. After all, it was inebriation that created his cycle of committing crimes and being incarcerated. He demanded $5 million from himself. However, since he didn't earn an income behind bars, he felt the state should pay. Needless to say, the case was thrown out.

In 1996, Florida physical therapist Paul Shimkonis sued his local nudie bar claiming whiplash from a lap dancer's large breasts. Shimkonis felt he suffered physical harm and mental anguish from the breasts, which he claimed felt like "cement blocks" hitting him. Shimkonis sought justice in the amount of $15,000, which was denied.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The South Florida Sun Sentinel is reporting this afternoon that Marino, 52, plans to withdraw from a suit filed in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia. Marino and 14 other players were recently added to a suit claiming the league was negligent and careless in its treatment of head trauma.

“It was never Marino’s intention to initiate litigation in this case, but to ensure that in the event he had adverse health consequences down the road, he would be covered with health benefits. They are working to correct the error,” a source told the Sun Sentinel.

The paper said Marino and his lawyers were uncertain how his name was placed on the suit. It could be pulled from court documents later today, the paper said.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... aws/ngC6S/

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:51 pm

I'm going to sue Manhattan for the mental anguish he has caused me today by making his arguments.

He should have plenty of money to pay me at least 7 figures. He is, afterall, one of the five boroughs in the largest city in America... possibly the richest of the 5 boroughs. He taxes the crap out of his citizens and charges a ridiculous amount in tolls to get into him, so he should have plenty of funds to pay me and I can bring down the big bad borough.

Take that, Bill de Blasio!

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:56 pm
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

Let me guess Manhattan, you are a card carrying Union member and a Democrat? I'm sure I am pretty close, based on your arguments. If not a Union member, a defense attorney perhaps...SMH.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:56 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Manhattan wrote:
Yes the woman who spilled coffee on herslf was making use of the legal system. Look it up. She got third degree burns and had to have skin graphs and almost died nobody should be in that situation from spilled coffee. Mcdonals had numerous cases of spilled coffee causing these sorts of burns but it wasnt ubtil they were penalized millions of dollars that they made a change. Corporations dont make change until they are harmed and they are harmed by massive money hits. The nfl is making changes to to its safety as a direct result to them losing money on these filings.

I don't think they've changed anything except for putting a warning on the cup of coffee.

Quote:
In 1994, a spokesman for the National Coffee Association said that the temperature of McDonald's coffee conformed to industry standards.[2] An "admittedly unscientific" survey by the LA Times that year found that coffee was served between 157 and 182 °F, and that two locations tested served hotter coffee than McDonald's.[27]

Since Liebeck, McDonald's has not reduced the service temperature of its coffee. McDonald's policy today is to serve coffee between 80–90 °C (176–194 °F),[28] relying on more sternly-worded warnings on cups made of rigid foam to avoid future liability, though it continues to face lawsuits over hot coffee.[28][29] The Specialty Coffee Association supports improved packaging methods rather than lowering the temperature at which coffee is served. The association has successfully aided the defense of subsequent coffee burn cases.[30] Similarly, as of 2004, Starbucks sells coffee at 175–185 °F (79–85 °C), and the executive director of the Specialty Coffee Association of America reported that the standard serving temperature is 160–185 °F (71–85 °C). Retailers today sell coffee as hot or hotter than the coffee that burned Stella Liebeck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v. ... estaurants

Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
Manhattan wrote:

The woman had 3rd degree burns on a good portion of her body.. the coffee was over 300 degrees.. about twice what it should have been.. she asked them yo simply pay the medical bills.. they offered her less then 10%... There is a documentary on netflix about it.. things are not always what them seem rich...

Last edited by randylvc on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:02 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Updates from Tuesday, June 3

Dave Hyde of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel is reporting that Dan Marino will be withdrawing the lawsuit against the NFL:

According to a source, Marino, 52, and his lawyers will be in discussions to withdraw from the lawsuit that was filed in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia.

“It was never Marino’s intention to initiate litigation in this case, but to ensure that in the event he had adverse health consequences down the road, he would be covered with health benefits. They are working to correct the error,” a source said to the Sun-Sentinel.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2083 ... i-dolphins

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:04 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

randylvc wrote:
the coffee was over 300 degrees..

Well, it's not McDonalds fault that she was burned by gas then.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Well, the proof is in, Marino wanted money, took a bunch of crap for it and backed out. Yeah, he wanted justice....

Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:34 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Wow i didnt know there were such narrow minded folks in here. Coffee isnt water, dave, so it would not have been a gas at 300 degrees, but even if she were burned by the steam of the coffee, yes mcdonalds would be liable because there is no reason for it to be that hot. And yes dave, more has changed since, they lowered the temp of the coffee bya bout 130 degrees. Like mentioned above there is a documentary on it and it talks about all the "frivilous" lawsuits which arent frivilous at all but if you think so then i hope your never in a situation where you will be forced to change your mind.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:31 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Manhattan wrote:
Wow i didnt know there were such narrow minded folks in here. Coffee isnt water, dave, so it would not have been a gas at 300 degrees, but even if she were burned by the steam of the coffee, yes mcdonalds would be liable because there is no reason for it to be that hot. And yes dave, more has changed since, they lowered the temp of the coffee bya bout 130 degrees. Like mentioned above there is a documentary on it and it talks about all the "frivilous" lawsuits which arent frivilous at all but if you think so then i hope your never in a situation where you will be forced to change your mind.

I think the real problem that people have with the lawsuit is the amount rewarded, in many peoples minds it becomes frivolous because of the amount, and in truth it is a bullcrap case, McDonalds should have paid her med bills and any lost wages and nothing beyond that, 6 mil for spilling coffee on yourself is ludicrous, can you sue a knife company after you cut yourself, claiming the knife was too sharp?

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:12 pm

Perhaps Dan was just going for these guys who didn't make money, just a thought.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

randylvc wrote:
The woman had 3rd degree burns on a good portion of her body.. the coffee was over 300 degrees..
Believe you are a touch high on the temp.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:36 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I think youre confusing what she sued for. She didnt sue because she spilled it. She sued because the coffee was unreasonably hot at 190 degreess. She awarded 2.6 million, not 6 and the money was and here is the key word PUNITIVE or in other words punishment to the corporation for negligence. That amount isnt arbitrary and judges and courts take into consideration what would be considered punitive, so no rich you would not be able to sue me punitively even if i were a burrough because dont make profits.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:57 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

http://www.hotcoffeethemovie.com/Default.asp
Heres the link to the movie if.anyone is interested. I think its important to learn the whole story rather than make generalized and judgemental statements. Thats why i spoke up about it has nothing to do with my job as a warehouse employee in ny or my political affiliation which is not democrat though i dont really see what that has to do with the justice system. In my opinion the two.parties are in agreement of overriding every precedent and excluding the spupreme court checks and thats why i think the justice system is the one thing keeping us from complete tyranny

Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:04 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Finster wrote:
I think the real problem that people have with the lawsuit is the amount rewarded, in many peoples minds it becomes frivolous because of the amount, and in truth it is a bullcrap case, McDonalds should have paid her med bills and any lost wages and nothing beyond that, 6 mil for spilling coffee on yourself is ludicrous, can you sue a knife company after you cut yourself, claiming the knife was too sharp?

McDonalds and the 72 year old lady worked out a final settlement in private. No one knows what the settlement was. I would think that the medical bills and lost wages (I doubt if she was working) were paid. That is just good business to do that. BTW, has anyone not been frustrated driving behind a 72 year old person? I do just about every single day. Their perception is way off.

Netflix has the coffee movie: http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70167106 . I would say that no one is really interested, but it is the offseason and we've talked more about the coffee lady than we have about Marino.

:haha

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:08 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
randylvc wrote:
The woman had 3rd degree burns on a good portion of her body.. the coffee was over 300 degrees..
Believe you are a touch high on the temp.

LOL. At 300° water is a gas. Water starts to boil at 212°F.

:headscratch

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next