View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 goodbye Rishard Matthews 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post goodbye Rishard Matthews
Quote:
Rishard Matthews - WR - Dolphins
The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins "haven't been happy" with Rishard Matthews for "tardiness, lack of attention to detail and other issues."
In other words, he'll have to have a monster camp and preseason to earn the Dolphins' final receiver spot. Matthews hopes a recent meeting with coach Joe Philbin helped his cause. "I had some (missteps) my first couple years being young," Matthews, who turns 25 in October, said. "They want me to be more professional off the field, as well as on the field. ... Coach Philbin sat down with me and gave me the ropes. We’re definitely on the same page." Matthews is facing an uphill battle with draft picks Jarvis Landry and Matt Hazel added to the Dolphins' crowded receiver corps.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:08 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: goodbye Rishard Matthews
What is this a quote from? I hope its not true because i thought he was really going to.break out this season

Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:06 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Manhattan wrote:
What is this a quote from? I hope its not true because i thought he was really going to.break out this season

From the Herald. Not sure he's earned a roster spot IMO. I definitely don't think he's a better slot man than Landry or Gibson.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:36 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If he is cut it will be just another example of Phibin lack of leadership & ability to actually coach up a player.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:42 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
If he is cut it will be just another example of Phibin lack of leadership & ability to actually coach up a player.

Now that is an interesting statement. While he has been a big success for us as a 7th round draft pick, he has never had his head into the game. The coaching staff has always been frustrated with his lack of attention to detail and he has consistency issues. Now, after getting notice from new GM Hickey via the draft that the Dolphins want to upgrade that WR group, he has decided to be tardy and continue his lazy attitude (all things seem to point to that). Somehow he has not gotten the message.

He actually had a good year last year. I'm kind of scratching my head on this one.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/b ... numgames=1

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:52 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here's where RotoWorld got their information:

Barry Jackson wrote:
### The Dolphins haven’t been happy with Rishard Matthews for tardiness, lack of attention to detail and other issues --- one reason why they used a second-round pick on Jarvis Landry instead of being content with Matthews as their fourth receiver. Matthews admits it surprised him that Miami drafted two receivers (Landry and Matt Hazel).

But Matthews tells us he hopes a recent meeting with Joe Philbin cleared things up. “I had some [missteps] my first couple years being young,” he said. “They want me to be more professional off the field, as well as on the field. That’s part of maturing. Little stuff, maybe being late to a couple of meetings. Coach Philbin sat down with me and gave me the ropes. We’re definitely on the same page.”

Even though Matthews has been productive, those ancillary issues have left him battling Armon Binns (who has looked very good), Damian Williams and former running back Marcus Thigpen for the fifth receiver job, barring injuries. Matthews has one less ally here with Jeff Ireland’s departure.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:00 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Funny, Omar Kelly was reporting on practices and Matthews was starting.

Who knows what goes on that we the fans do not know about i.e. late for meetings and whatever else is on him, but if he keeps producing on the field, he will be on this roster. However, hopefully for his sake, he changes whatever he needs to do to conduct himself as a professional.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:06 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Finhead34 wrote:

Who knows what goes on that we the fans do not know about i.e. late for meetings and whatever else is on him, but if he keeps producing on the field, he will be on this roster. However, hopefully for his sake, he changes whatever he needs to do to conduct himself as a professional.

You're right, Karl. This is the time of year that coaches motivate their players by dropping them on the depth chart and criticizing those that they want to raise their level of play. Anything goes right now and we shouldn't get too wrapped up in all the rumors floating around.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:

Not really. If he has been doing what he has been reportedly doing and Philbin sat him down and addressed it with him as was reported above, then it is now on Matthews, not Philbin.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:22 am

Finhead34 wrote:

Means absolutely nothing when Gibson and Hartline are coming off injuries.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Yep Dave, exactly, but then again in the off season there is nothing to write about except for constant speculation of reports.

Omar Kelly just posted out yesterday that the Dolphins could keep SEVEN receivers: Wallace, Hartline, Matthews, Landry, Gibson, Binns and Williams. Apparently the Williams thought is because he is a huge target at wide out and big red zone threat.

Personally, I don't know about 7 roster spots locked in at receiver, but you never know and of course this is just June and so much can happen before the season starts back up.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:26 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Means absolutely nothing when Gibson and Hartline are coming off injuries.

Agreed Rich. Also, all the behind scenes comments by coaches I do believe as Dave mentioned could be motivating these guys and knowing the way Philbin is and his structured approach, Matthews very well could have needed some talking to and between potential injuries and other guys stepping up, Matthews is no guarantee for playing time, but based on him getting a shot and coming on a bit the last part of last season, I am sure he will be given every opportunity.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:30 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Finhead34 wrote:
Omar Kelly just posted out yesterday that the Dolphins could keep SEVEN receivers: Wallace, Hartline, Matthews, Landry, Gibson, Binns and Williams. Apparently the Williams thought is because he is a huge target at wide out and big red zone threat.

I like Omar, and I find his articles entertaining, but I think he has a long way to go to be more credible. Armando Salguero has definitely improved over the years, but he was about the same way years ago. Heck, you don't think that I got to be the genius that I am overnight (don't answer that one;)?

I don't see how we keep 7 receivers at all unless we move Williams to tight end or something. The quality at receiver is good, so, you don't want to limit what you have at other positions of need.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:42 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I dont get too hung up on names, I expect many of them to change... Seems to me Philbin is still sorting through the roster Jeff put together for him, and will need to find the right players for him..

Unlike great NFL coaches, Philbin needs a certain type of player to work with. He cant just "coach up" any guy you hand him.
He is Joe Philbin, not Don Shula...

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:52 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dave, Omar Kelly for better or worse is usually at most all of the Dolphin practices/functions. He is pretty blunt about what he sees. Not saying he is always right and not everyone cares for him, but we are limited on folks that give us the kind of drilled down Dolphin updates and he constantly tweets about the Dolphins, so it is a good portal for information either way.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:29 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

While we are still at the pajama party it's impossible to tell how the team is going to be, there's a different pajama superstar every year, when they start hitting in pads then we will start to get an idea.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:15 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Pajama super star?? :haha

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:42 pm

Finster wrote:
While we are still at the pajama party it's impossible to tell how the team is going to be, there's a different pajama superstar every year, when they start hitting in pads then we will start to get an idea.

Like the pajama party metaphor.. :haha

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:45 am

I'm always happy to make folks laugh, glad that Rich and Finhead got the humor, it doesn't always translate without inflection and facial emphasis.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:00 am

Finster wrote:
I'm always happy to make folks laugh, glad that Rich and Finhead got the humor, it doesn't always translate without inflection and facial emphasis.

Trust me, I get ya.

Use these.

:) :haha :fart: :ann0y: :yay:

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:22 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Pajama party... now that's funny.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:13 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

:haha It was funny!!

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Not really. If he has been doing what he has been reportedly doing and Philbin sat him down and addressed it with him as was reported above, then it is now on Matthews, not Philbin.

I do not necessarily disagree, but the point was Philbin lack of ability to reach players to get the best out of them.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:11 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Keep in mind that we are implementing a new offense this year. If guys don't fit into it, they're as good as gone. Three guys that could very well be out of a job at the end of August are Matthews, Michael Egnew and Marcus Thigpen.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Keep in mind that we are implementing a new offense this year. If guys don't fit into it, they're as good as gone. Three guys that could very well be out of a job at the end of August are Matthews, Michael Egnew and Marcus Thigpen.

The last two have not showed the ability to play in this league or play well in this league. Matthews has at least produced.

Besides good coaches do not just cut good players because they do not fit in. They find a way to use the talent they have. Its things like this that keep Miami avg. Letting talent go for nothing in return. Matthews should carry some valve.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:44 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dphins4me wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:

The last two have not showed the ability to play in this league or play well in this league. Matthews has at least produced.

Besides good coaches do not just cut good players because they do not fit in. They find a way to use the talent they have. Its things like this that keep Miami avg. Letting talent go for nothing in return. Matthews should carry some valve.

But Philbin doesn't know that. He cut three leaders on his team in 2012 and their positions all regressed in 2013. He is not a good coach and frankly, I don't know how he kept his job with this mess.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]