View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Coaches need access to locker rooms 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Coaches need access to locker rooms
ESPN wrote:
Coaches need access to locker rooms

Ron Rivera had no idea.

His first two seasons as the Carolina Panthers head coach, Rivera stayed out of the locker room. He was a former player, an All-America linebacker at Cal and a second-round draft pick in 1984 by the Chicago Bears, for whom he played nine seasons and won a Super Bowl. Rivera knew the code: No coaches in the locker room.

But after the Panthers went 6-10 in 2011 and then 7-9 in 2012, Rivera took a group of approximately seven players out to dinner. He wanted to know what they thought about the team, the culture and the program he was trying to build.

"All of a sudden, I start hearing all the bitching and moaning," Rivera said. "This happened. That happened. I'm thinking, 'I didn't see any of that.' But I didn't see it because I wasn't down there, and that was my fault, not theirs."

That's when it clicked for Rivera. That's when he realized the code from the 1980s and 1990s was not going to work in the modern-day NFL. Players now come into the league more pampered. Technology has advanced. Society has evolved.

It is just different now.

The prevailing feeling among the coaches and front-office executives I've talked to is that the best way to avoid another Richie Incognito-Jonathan Martin imbroglio such as the one that engulfed the Miami Dolphins last season is for teams to be more transparent. All doors need to be open. Coaches must be welcome in the locker room, and their office doors must remain open.

There must be a healthy dialogue and exchange of information, whether through a player relations representative or a veteran leadership committee, so that players can give head coaches feedback without fear of retribution.

As the great Bill Walsh said: Keep that locker room open.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:54 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post Re: Coaches need access to locker rooms
Philbin probably read this and was like, "f@(king A", no wait! it was Philbin so more like "gosh darn jimminy crickets golly gee wiz, I feel for ya Ron", or something that effect.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:35 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

If players do not respect, believe in and buy into the HC, putting camera's in the locker room 24/7 will not change things.. This staff needs to prove to these players they are competent enough to do the job IMO...

This will just make people mumble under their breath, and byotch about the bad decisions at the bar after work.... byotch about that pathetic rookie the coach keeps giving reps to because of his draft position. Etc...

Gotta wonder if the bar hopping was the actions of immature idiots, or co-workers heading out to blow off steam and talk sh about other co-workers and bosses....

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:10 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

10acjed wrote:
... putting camera's in the locker room 24/7 will not change things...

I don't think it says anywhere about putting cameras in the lockerroom ... just that coaches need to go into the lockerroom to get a pulse on their team.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Big Dave wrote:
10acjed wrote:
... putting camera's in the locker room 24/7 will not change things...

I don't think it says anywhere about putting cameras in the lockerroom ... just that coaches need to go into the lockerroom to get a pulse on their team.

Yeah it was an exaggeration, and the point is not what a HC needs to do, but that the HC needs to have the respect of his team. Otherwise whats the point? Cna sit in that locker room all day and not get the pulse of the team because they are afraid to speak up....

Joe Philbin had veteran leaders step to him and try to form that connection between coaches and players.
Those players were Long, Dansby and Bush. The following off season all three were let go...

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]