View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Clayton:to win AFC East team need QB to match Brady's skills 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Clayton:to win AFC East team need QB to match Brady's skills
Here's hoping that Tannehill can continue to develop. Year 3 should be very telling. I think Clayton leaves out the protection that Brady also gets.

Quote:
Q: The Patriots have won the AFC East 10 of the last 12 years. Buffalo, New York and Miami seem to always be rebuilding or simply cannot field quality teams. Is it ownership, the GMs, poor coaching or some other factor that is preventing them from putting together teams to challenge New England?
Al in Cheyenne, Wyoming

JOHN CLAYTON: It's not the ownership. It's not the GMs. It's not bad luck. It's the quarterback. The Patriots have Tom Brady. Miami, Buffalo and New York don't. The situation is no different than what was going on in the AFC South when Peyton Manning was in the division. We're seeing the same thing in Denver now that Manning is there. To win the AFC East, a team needs a quarterback who can match Brady's skills. Making it tougher for the AFC East is that while Brady is doing his magic on offense, Bill Belichick is doing more magic with his schemes. Look how many quarterbacks the Dolphins have been through since Dan Marino. Until Brady retires, it's going to be tough for teams in the AFC East to catch New England

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:58 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Clayton:to win AFC East team need QB to match Brady's skills
NE has a Hall of Fame QB and I agree that is an advantage. However, my gut feeling tells me that for the first time in a while, the AFC East will be a dog fight. I don't see NE running away with the Division like in years past, but the QB play is the main catalyst as well as a strong defense.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:02 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Finhead34 wrote:
NE has a Hall of Fame QB and I agree that is an advantage. However, my gut feeling tells me that for the first time in a while, the AFC East will be a dog fight. I don't see NE running away with the Division like in years past, but the QB play is the main catalyst as well as a strong defense.

What made Shula such a great head coach is that he could adjust the style of his team based on the talent he had. He also was smart enough to always invest in a good offensive and defensive line. He didn't skimp when it came to the trenches. With Marino, he changed his offensive line skillset by drafting great pass blockers. Marino had a lot of time to read the defense and he had that quick release. Unfortunately, when JJ got here he wanted a running game and jettisoned Marino's offensive line for run blockers that could not actually pass or run block. Danny also needed to get into a rhythm. Marino eroded quickly under JJ.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:07 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Yeah Dave, I agree about Shula and Belicheck for the Pats really is a great strategy adjuster as well. For instance, how many times have we seen the Patriots get manhandled in the first half, only for adjustments to be made and the Pats come back and finish for the win. That is the type of coaching those guys get and although I personally don't care for him, you have to recognize how smart the guy is and he is cognizant enough to always focus on hiding his team's weaknesses and getting the most out of his players.

The stigma of winning period is instilled in NE from the HC just like back in the Shula days.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]