View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Bubble Watch: Evaluating the Dolphins’ roster 

Who will not make the final Dolphins roster?
RB Daniel Thomas 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
OG Danny Watkins 26%  26%  [ 15 ]
QB Pat Devlin 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
WR/KR Marcus Thigpen 18%  18%  [ 10 ]
WR Rishard Matthews 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
TE Michael Egnew 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
OLB Phillip Wheeler 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 57

Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Swerve's first blog for Phinfever. Click the link to add to his hits.

http://phinfever.com/index.php/9-blog/5 ... ins-roster

Quote:
by Mark Grimm (Swerve13)

Daniel Thomas
This could be Thomas’ last stand with Miami. Another Ireland failed project that may be on the way out. He hasn’t done much since Ireland traded up to get him in the 2011 draft. He has shown flashes of potential since then but is way too inconsistent as a runner and a pass blocker. Between the salary-cap savings and his underachieving play on field, there is a very good chance Thomas does not make the team this time around. He will be competing with Mike Gillisee for one roster spot at tailback and Gillisee is more affordable.

Danny Watkins
The Danny Watkins experiment is probably over after signing Shelley Smith and drafting Billy Turner. Dallas Thomas appears to be ready to make a run at a starting spot at guard opposite Smith, and Turner and Brenner fill out the rest of the guard depth. The writing is on the wall.

Pat Devlin
Devlin's roster spot may be in jeopardy after not showing much during his time in Miami. Undrafted free agent Brock Jensen looks to have more upside than Devlin. He’s a big kid with a live arm and is the FCS all-time winning quarterback. The Dolphins may also decide to roll with only 2 quarterbacks. They almost did last year.

Marcus Thigpen
The writing is on the wall now that Thigpen has been moved into the crowded receiver core. He’s going to have a hard time cracking the top 6 at WR. The one thing that can save Thigpen is his multifaceted skill set as a returner/runner/receiver...but he does leave alot to be desired as a return man. His return averages and his decision making regressed this past season.

Rishard Matthews
Another Jeff Ireland pick that is owed nothing by the new GM. The Dolphins haven’t been happy with Rishard Matthews for tardiness, lack of attention to detail and “other” issues, and it’s why they used a second-round pick on Jarvis Landry instead of being content with Matthews as their fourth receiver. Matthews was quoted as saying. "They want me to be more professional off the field, as well as on the field. ... Coach Philbin sat down with me and gave me the ropes. We’re definitely on the same page." He'll have to have a big time preseason to earn the Dolphins' final receiver spot.

Michael Egnew
Looks like at least our new coordinater knows how to play to Egnew’s strengths using him out wide and off the line away from linemen, but Egnew is still a long shot to make the cut and he’ll have to have an outstanding camp to make it. He’s competing with 2 recent draft picks Dion Sims and Arthur Lynch. Sims is a massive tight end with upside ability and Lynch is a solid Fasano-like tight end that fills a role we need.

Phillip Wheeler
Wheeler was horrific in his first season with the Dolphins. Pro Football Focus credited him with a whopping 18 missed tackles and graded Wheeler out as its worst 4-3 outside linebacker. Releasing Wheeler would cause a $4.2 million cap penalty for the Dolphins, so Hickey may be reluctant to cut him.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:16 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post Re: Bubble Watch: Evaluating the Dolphins’ roster
My vote was for Michael Egnew at OLB, I think he'll have a tough time making as a TE, never mind OLB.

Dry humor for those who appreciate it.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:22 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dang! we have 2 Michael Egnews now Dave? One on offense and defense. New poll, would you rather have Egnew or Wheeler at weakside linebacker? LOL

Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:32 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I voted all the above except Wheeler.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:59 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The roster isnt overflowing with talent. Who stays if these guys are cut? Armon binnso ver matthews? No way. Not much depth at linebacker and theres a big cap hit for wheeler so you cant cut him. Cant just look at the name and say hes not good so cut him that gets you into trouble. At this point the only guy who doesnt have a spot is danny watkins.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:12 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

And why was drafting landry a sign they werent content with matthews? It had nothing to do with hartline and gibson having severe knee injuries/?

Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I actually see a very talented roster comparative to the rest of the league. Even though I'm not a huge PFF advocate I saw they just recently graded the NFL rosters and ranked us 13th out of 32. Thats very high praise. Philbin is a dope if he can't get this team to the playoffs.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:16 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

swerve13 wrote:
Dang! we have 2 Michael Egnews now Dave? One on offense and defense. New poll, would you rather have Egnew or Wheeler at weakside linebacker? LOL

What choo talkin bout, Willis? That would be Phillip Wheeler at TE;)

Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

They might have the 13th most talented based on starters but the backups and depth is pretty weak so i dont know who stays if you let these guys go if they those other guys would be any better.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Manhattan wrote:
They might have the 13th most talented based on starters but the backups and depth is pretty weak so i dont know who stays if you let these guys go if they those other guys would be any better.

I'm sure PFF graded out the entire roster and not just the starters. Who knows. Miami definitely does have talent though, that's for sure. It's exciting to know that we have two real play makers on offense for a change with Clay and Wallace.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Oh I don't know, there's an awful lot of talent on the bench too:
Dion Jordan
Earl Mitchell
Derrick Shelby
Jordan Tripp
Jelani Jenkins
Jamar Taylor
Walt Aikens
Jimmy Wilson
Billy Turner
Sims and Lynch
Lamar Miller
Matt Moore
Jarvis Landry
Armon Binns

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:59 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Wheeler with his contract is uncuttable.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:40 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Wheeler with his contract is uncuttable.

According to Over The Cap, cutting Wheeler this year would leave the Dolphins with $10,600,000 of dead cap space. Cutting Wheeler next year would leave us with $4,200,000 of dead cap space. Man, he took the money and retired.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Dolphins

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:09 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
ESPN Dolphins reporter James Walker said WR Rishard Matthews is the "leader in the clubhouse" for the team's third receiver position.
The reports on Matthews this offseason have been all over the map, with some saying he is a candidate to be cut and others saying he will win the slot-receiver job out of camp. Walker falls into the latter category, citing WR Brandon Gibson's (knee) injury concerns and rookie WR Jarvis Landry's inexperience as reasons Matthews will win the job. Despite this report, we still see Gibson as the favorite to leave camp with the job.
ESPN.com

Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

These guys haven't even made it into pads yet. I take the depth chart with a grain of salt with the exception of the obvious starters. Matthews based on his experience may land the 3rd spot, but way too early.

There just isn't much to write about right now.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:34 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

swerve13 wrote:
Oh I don't know, there's an awful lot of talent on the bench too:
Dion Jordan
Earl Mitchell
Derrick Shelby
Jordan Tripp
Jelani Jenkins
Jamar Taylor
Walt Aikens
Jimmy Wilson
Billy Turner
Sims and Lynch
Lamar Miller
Matt Moore
Jarvis Landry
Armon Binns

I guess youd have to define talent. Moore is a very good backup, but you have 4 rookies two of which from small schools. Not saying they arent or cant be good but nobody around the league looks at those names and thinks "talent". Binns doesnt make the team and im calling it now
Lamar miller and dion jordan didnt play very well but i guess you could say talented based on measurabbles. Jamar taylor hasnt played a down either. I dont know just looks like your reaching. Positive is great especially in the offseason but this looks like a homer list

Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm reaching? How many other teams have loaded benches? you can say what you want about these guys' production so far, but they're all talented, It's not easy to start in the NFL. These are guys that were top 150 in their draft classes. Looks as if you want Pro Bowlers backing up other Pro Bowlers. Thats why there is a salary cap to limit how many stars are on one roster. You might play too much Madden football bro.

Last edited by swerve13 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
nobody around the league looks at those names and thinks "talent"

Are you serious man? So you dont think other GMs think Dion Jordan, Billy Turner, Jamar Taylor, Jarvis Landry and Lamar Miller are talented? Is that why Philly wanted to give us their 1st round pick for Jordan?

Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:31 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
nobody around the league looks at those names and thinks "talent"

Are you serious man? So you dont think other GMs think Dion Jordan, Billy Turner, Jamar Taylor, Jarvis Landry and Lamar Miller are talented? Is that why Philly wanted to give us their 1st round pick for Jordan?

No offense, but I have to agree with City, DJ was bad last year, Turner, Landry and Taylor are unknown commodities and Miller may very well be our starter again this year thanks to roly poly Moreno.

I would say your original list has more potential talent then actual talent with time being the keeper of that knowledge right now.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:29 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

If you notice i said miller and jordan are talented and i never said i wanted pro bowl backups. Im just saying there are a lot of roster spots available

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I've been following Brock since he attended our church and played for my Alma mater. A fellow pastor on our staff has been in contact with him weekly. He said him and Tanny go to church together and that he is a really nice guy. He said the competition has been heavy between him and Devlin.
I hope Brock makes the third spot.
:yay:

Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phin wrote:
I've been following Brock since he attended our church and played for my Alma mater. A fellow pastor on our staff has been in contact with him weekly. He said him and Tanny go to church together and that he is a really nice guy. He said the competition has been heavy between him and Devlin.
I hope Brock makes the third spot.
:yay:

cool

Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]