View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Bill Lazor intends to get Dolphins offense firing straight 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Bill Lazor intends to get Dolphins offense firing straight
Quote:
By Omar Kelly, Staff writer

12:40 p.m. EDT, June 7, 2014

According to league insiders, to make a spread offense work, like Miami is installing, a team needs a few components.

The first is an athletic quarterback. Tannehill fits that mold.

The next ingredient is a tailback who can hit outside runs (Lamar Miller) and catch pass efficiently enough to maximize the screen game (Knowshon Moreno). A versatile tight end (Charles Clay) or two is important because it creates the element of deception. Then the offense needs a receiver or two who can stretch and space the field. That's Wallace's specialty.

Screens are routinely thrown to tailbacks and tight ends. Quick hitches to wide receivers. And there's the constant threat of runs off draw plays, roll outs and naked bootlegs.

"The concept of the spread offense is to spread everyone out so we create bigger lanes to run through," Eagles coach Chip Kelly said, describing his concepts, which have begun to alter both the college and pro landscape.

And finally, an offensive line suited for a zone blocking scheme is a must. This is a work in progress.

The team utilizing a spread offense also needs a defense that can handle the burden that comes with using an up tempo offense, which might sputter at times, increasing the defenses snap count, and applying additional pressure to defenders.

For the offense to run like a train station the quarterback needs to keep everything on schedule.

"If the quarterback is accurate and decisive, ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... &track=rss

Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:14 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Bill Lazor intends to get Dolphins offense firing straight
Quote:
By Omar Kelly, Staff writer
And there's the constant threat of runs off draw plays, roll outs and naked bootlegs.

Good, so we have completed the "develop him as a pocket passer" phase for RT, not we can get him moving more...

:awe:

Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It's time we finally take advantage of Tannehill's athleticism. Rollouts and pistol formations.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:54 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

I am one of those guys that think this may actually hurt Tanne's development as a QB, there is an inherent problem with mobile QBs, a problem that Tanne has been working on, the foot work, as a pocket QB your feet turn your body so your feet are constantly tapping the ground, this is so your always in position to throw, if you look left you turn your entire body to the left with tapping happy feet.

Mobile QBs tend to play flat footed in the pocket because if your going to run it's best to have both feet firmly on the ground, quite contrary to proper QB footwork, it leads to a lot of passes thrown with poor form which of course leads to poor accuracy, this is the biggest bugaboo for mobile QBs and why nearly all of them struggle with consistency.

I'm of the opinion that it's best to train him as a pocket QB, if you look at the top QBs in the league they're nearly all pocket QBs, all of the elite QBs are pocket QBs, because 1 fact is never going to change, you can do more damage from the pocket then anywhere on the field, because it's the perfect vantage point on the field.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:01 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I hear you Finster, but I believe RT can be a pocket passer that can run to extend plays. Like Big Ben and dare I say Steve Young?

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I also believe he could play more like Big Ben. They were even able to move Foles around with success.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:46 pm

Makchell wrote:
I hear you Finster, but I believe RT can be a pocket passer that can run to extend plays. Like Big Ben and dare I say Steve Young?
swerve13 wrote:
I also believe he could play more like Big Ben. They were even able to move Foles around with success.

I'm not disagreeing with the concept, but the truth is those guys are pocket QBs, A Rodgers is another great example, he has some wheels and is pretty nifty, but he really scares you from the pocket, Ben, Steve and Rodgers are gifted players at making something out of nothing but they're pocket QBs and are very efficient in the pocket, something Tanne hasn't gotten down just yet.

That's why I wonder if all these changes aren't going to actually hurt him in his learning stages, this is the first new offense he's learned and it's much more complicated as far as reads and timing, and reads and timing is an area where he has his lapses.

He does have the athleticism to be an elusive QB but has to become a better pocket QB to really reap the benefits of it because when you are dangerous from the pocket coverage tends to be deeper which helps open those areas, but if your not scaring the other team from the pocket the coverage is usually closer and there are less opportunities.

It really is kind of a tough position for a learning QB to be in, changing gears like this, not what you would call optimal, but he is a very hard worker, smart and coachable, so those are good things.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finster wrote:
I am one of those guys that think this may actually hurt Tanne's development as a QB, there is an inherent problem with mobile QBs, a problem that Tanne has been working on, the foot work, as a pocket QB your feet turn your body so your feet are constantly tapping the ground, this is so your always in position to throw, if you look left you turn your entire body to the left with tapping happy feet.

Mobile QBs tend to play flat footed in the pocket because if your going to run it's best to have both feet firmly on the ground, quite contrary to proper QB footwork, it leads to a lot of passes thrown with poor form which of course leads to poor accuracy, this is the biggest bugaboo for mobile QBs and why nearly all of them struggle with consistency.

I'm of the opinion that it's best to train him as a pocket QB, if you look at the top QBs in the league they're nearly all pocket QBs, all of the elite QBs are pocket QBs, because 1 fact is never going to change, you can do more damage from the pocket then anywhere on the field, because it's the perfect vantage point on the field.

You are overthinking, big time IMO...

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:20 am

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Finster wrote:

You are overthinking, big time IMO...

I'm not sure I understand your comment, or at least as it correlates to my comment, I am simply reiterating what is already a long established problem of the mobile QB, footwork, every single mobile QB that comes in the league has a lot of footwork work to do, that's no secret, as is nearly all the quality QBs in the league being pocket QBs.

So, since I was just reposting what are essentially football footnotes, what I stated is pretty much lacking in independent thought, just a concern that these pitfalls that have consumed many a QB may indeed hamper our young QB, I am simply worried about history repeating itself, I don't think you can call that big time overthinking, imo.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:57 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Getting really psyched for this season. We open up with a win & never look back.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:03 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I agree with your statement about footwork.

Also, I think there is something different about T-Hill....His speed is different from most mobile QB's.

I wanna say, from what i see.... Tannehill runs like a white boy. On top of that, he is relatively tall... So what i mean by that is it seems to take him about 3-4 steps before he switches out of first gear... AND... He runs forward, his body isnt centered when he runs, which can be a good thing since he has not shown the fear in laying out forward for the extra yard/pylon.

So while i think changing footwork mechanics could be an issue.... i think it wont be. The way T-Hill runs, i dont think it matters if he is toe-tapping vs flat footed... he's still not gonna hit his speed until the 4th step. Because of the way he runs, he's a straight line runner too, his uncentered posture doesnt cater to juking, or being an elusive runner.

I may be talking in circles.... But T-Hill runs more like Rodgers or Steve McNair....... LESS like Vick, Wilson. Those two are dependent upon quickness and juking..... T-Hill is more about steamroll speed and straight line running..... you may even say that Cam Newton runs this way too, except Newton has a great first 2 steps and finds his gear alot faster.....

Either way... T-Hill should be developed as a pocket passer, and a run 2nd option will always be there for him if he is confident in his running. Which basically means, that we dont necessarily need to turn him into a dual threat qb for him to have a ground game.... but more so, ALLOW him to have a ground game..... tell him he is allowed to be more like big ben a bit, and make something happen if it presents itself

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:25 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

SkyHigh314 wrote:
I wanna say, from what i see.... Tannehill runs like a white boy.

LOL, don't know why anyone would honestly care to read any further after that "analysis".

Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finster wrote:

You have to subscribe to the idea that Tannehill can be an elite/top QB if you are using this approach. I think he has the tools to be successful, but I don't think he'll ever be Rodgers/Manning/Brady/etc.

The Foles comparison is probably the easiest to do. I would never argue that he is a top QB but he was successful because Kelly put him in a position to make plays. A lot of the time that came on moving out of the pocket and throwing on the run. Maybe defenses will catch up to it in year 2, who knows. But I think that is the correct formula for Tannehill as well because he doesn't throw guys open or throw with great anticipation.

If Eli Manning and Joe Flacco can win Super Bowls while surrounded by a good supporting cast then I think it is possible for Tannehill as well. He's shown he can get a hot streak going.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]