View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Phins TE Charles Clay can expect more attention this season 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Phins TE Charles Clay can expect more attention this season
Quote:
By Chris Perkins, Sun Sentinel

6:22 p.m. EDT, June 8, 2014
DAVIE—

Dolphins tight end Charles Clay had a breakout season last year with a career-best 69 receptions for a career-best 759 yards and a career-best six touchdowns. And people noticed.

Now, one of Clay's biggest challenges for the coming season will be getting used to the attention he'll command on and off the field. ...

In last season's 24-20 victory over New England, the Patriots were determined to stop Clay. And New England accomplished its mission, holding Clay to one reception for six yards.

"They gave a lot of different looks," Clay said. "They put (cornerback Aqib) Talib on me at times. They had guys trying to jam me, different things just to throw off my timing. They're one of the best teams when it comes to doing that."

It came at a price, however.

All the resources Patriots devoted to Clay allowed wide receiver Mike Wallace to account for six receptions for 105 yards and a touchdown.

Coach Joe Philbin called it one of Clay's best games all season, ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:18 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post Re: Phins TE Charles Clay can expect more attention this season
Can't cover everyone in Lazor's offense. Here's to hoping Landry breaks out as a secret weapon the way Clay did last year.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:11 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

This isn't a knock on Clay because I like him & i think he is a unique talent, but I think of him as comparable to the 6th man on a basketball team. You know, the kind that comes off the bench so he doesn't get the recognition as the starters & yet he's able to score more because hes not guarded as the starters are.

I think he made the absolute most of his opportunities last year & I hope he continues to perform at a high level, but I wouldn't be surprised if 2013 was his career high.
69 catches 760 yards (11yard average) 10 receptions at 20+ yards & 6 TDs.

Seems like an anomaly to me but wouldn't it be sweet if for the first time in a long time our new OC recognized & found ways to use the Dolphin players skill sets? Thats the only way I see Clay repeating those numbers

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:46 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
It came at a price, however All the resources Patriots devoted to Clay allowed wide receiver Mike Wallace to account for six receptions for 105 yards and a touchdown. Coach Joe Philbin called it one of Clay's best games all season

That is the ultimate compliment to Clay in that Belichick, the master defensive guru, used his best cornerback to cover Clay. If Wallace can have a big day under Sherman's offense, just think what the offense can do under Lazor.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:55 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
Quote:
It came at a price, however All the resources Patriots devoted to Clay allowed wide receiver Mike Wallace to account for six receptions for 105 yards and a touchdown. Coach Joe Philbin called it one of Clay's best games all season

That is the ultimate compliment to Clay in that Belichick, the master defensive guru, used his best cornerback to cover Clay. If Wallace can have a big day under Sherman's offense, just think what the offense can do under Lazor.

Help us, Lazor-wan Kenobi you are our only hope. Just gettin my geek on.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]