View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Dallas Thomas gets 2nd chance to make better 1st impression 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dallas Thomas gets 2nd chance to make better 1st impression
Quote:
By Omar Kelly, Sun Sentinel

8:07 p.m. EDT, June 9, 2014

Dallas Thomas won't lie to himself, or to the world by saying he didn't have opportunities to earn a starting spot on the Miami Dolphins' disappointing 2013 offensive line.

Thomas was the first lineman the Dolphins plugged in to replace an injured John Jerry early in last year's training camp, had Thomas performed well the starting job was his. He didn't.

The Dolphins moved Richie Incognito to right guard for a couple of practices to experiment with Thomas as the starting left guard in camp, but Thomas' performances didn't improve.

This is Thomas' second chance to make a good first impression on John Benton and Jack Bicknell Jr., Miami's new offensive line coaches. Instead of playing all over the offensive line like last season, where he worked at every spot but center, the Dolphins have allowed Thomas to settle in at guard.

"We wanted to give him a home to where at least he can kind of get his feet in the ground a little bit, feel some level of comfort from an assignments standpoint and technique standpoint. It's a little bit different. It's not two totally different worlds, but it's different," coach Joe Philbin said of the coaching staff's new approach with Thomas.

"It's not necessarily that that's where he'll ultimately end up, but right now we wanted to kind of let him get somewhat acquainted with the new system, the new scheme playing at guard," Philbin said. "He's done relatively well."

But it is still early, and the pads won't come on until the second week of training camp in August. ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:12 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Dallas Thomas gets 2nd chance to make better 1st impression
Barry Jackson wrote:
### Though rookie third-round pick Billy Turner shared first-team left guard snaps with Dallas Thomas on the first day of offseason practices, Thomas said he has received most of the reps since, and coaches are encouraged by how he has looked playing alongside Branden Albert.

He played just three offensive snaps last season --- despite the Dolphins’ offensive line deficiencies --- and says he struggled mentally learning multiple positions and also physically with his surgically-repaired shoulder, which “held me back. Last year, I was like, ‘What’s going on?’ I got rusty not playing, and you develop some bad habits. I played my senior year at guard [at Tennessee]. I’m very comfortable there. Starting is my goal.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]