View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Galicia: 4 Bold Predictions for the 2014 Miami Dolphins 

Which Bold Prediction Sounds the Most Likely?
Miami's offense will be top 10 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Miami's offensive line will have two Pro Bowlers 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Dion Jordan will have more than 5.5 sacks in 2014 73%  73%  [ 11 ]
Cameron Wake will win Defensive Player of the Year 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Galicia: 4 Bold Predictions for the 2014 Miami Dolphins 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Galicia: 4 Bold Predictions for the 2014 Miami Dolphins
This guy is a great writer for the 'Fins, always a good read with this dude regardless of the B/R label:

Quote:
Bold Prediction: Miami's Offense Will be a Top 10 Unit:

This might just be the cold medicine talking (for the last week I've been hampered by a severe cold that is about as stubborn as a Joe Philbin press conference), but this Dolphins offense has the ability to be something special, no?

Last year's Dolphins offense was the picture of mediocrity, finishing 27th in offense in terms of yards, while finishing 26th in points scored.

The reason for this boils down to Ryan Tannehill's growing pains, a porous offensive line and a West Coast offensive scheme that was state-of-the-art when I was watching Alf during its first run on television.

The scheme was predictable and archaic, and at times, not only was I able to guess what plays would be run before the snap, but most fans were also able to do the same.

If fans and a handsome hack writer could guess what plays the Dolphins were going to run, don't you think an NFL defensive coordinator could?

This year brings a change, thanks to new offensive coordinator Bill Lazor.

Lazor was Philadelphia's quarterbacks coach last season, when the Eagles gave us an offense that was state of the art now, as I splurged on an Amazon purchase of every season of Alf.

Now how responsible Lazor was for the offense is debated, as Eagles head coach Chip Kelly is looked at as the mastermind behind said offense, but it doesn't hurt that Lazor was around Kelly and could pick up a few tips.

Throw in a new-and-improved offensive line (which we will get to), and you'll see a much-improved, potentially top-10 Miami offense.

The offense will be helped out by another prediction; this one is not so bold.

Bold Prediction: Miami's Offensive Line Will Feature Two Pro Bowlers

Last season, the Miami Dolphins had one offensive lineman make it into the Pro Bowl, and it seemed like it was one too many.

Miami's offensive line was horribly awful in 2013, which in the end is the real reason why the Dolphins were 8-8 and watched the playoffs on the couch.

I didn't even think Mike Pouncey was deserving of his Pro Bowl slot. Individually he was decent, as seen here on Pro Football Focus (subscription required), but considering what the team didn't do, I can't defend his placement as a Pro Bowl player too much.

Luckily, that will change this season, as the Dolphins will have a much-improved offensive line, including a very much-improved Mike Pouncey, and Pouncey and someone else will get an invite to the Pro Bowl in 2014.

Bold Prediction: Dion Jordan Will Have More Than 5.5 Sacks in 2014

There's been a lot written about Dion Jordan during OTAs, from his weight gain to praise from his coaches.

Does this translate into Jordan having a successful season? I'm going to go with yes.

He won't start, but in 2014 he will have much more playing time, especially on third-and-long situations.

At that point, he'll be on the field with Cameron Wake and Olivier Vernon and be allowed to just pin his ears back and go after the quarterback.

Enough of those plays should get Jordan to amass more than 5.5 sacks in 2014, giving him a successful season.

Bold Prediction: Cameron Wake Will Win Defensive Player of the Year

This might sound like crazy talk when you consider that the NFL is lousy with pass-rushers right now.

It's not as crazy as you think. Wake will be the defensive player of the year in 2014.

It's primed to be a "comeback" season for Wake, who only registered 8.5 sacks in 2013 while being the focus of double-teams throughout the season.

Now let's add in Vernon and Jordan, and Wake will get some more room to work with. It's conceivable that he will double his sack total in 2014.

He also tends to do well in even-numbered years, but that's a coincidence.

Wake is Miami's best defensive player (with all respect to Brent Grimes) and will be the league's best in 2014, as he helps lead the Dolphins to the playoffs.

Sorry I spoiled the last slide for you.

Less Bold Prediction: Olivier Vernon Will Have More Than 10 Sacks in 2014

I mentioned on the last slide that Jordan wouldn't start for the Dolphins. That's because Olivier Vernon will, and he will get more than 10 sacks this season.

The reason Vernon will have more sacks is simple: more plays. While Jordan will mainly play when Miami wants to rush the quarterback (or give either Vernon or Wake a breather), Vernon is Miami's starting defensive end alongside Wake.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2093 ... i-dolphins

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:06 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Galicia: 4 Bold Predictions for the 2014 Miami Dolphins
Easy choice, Dion to have more than 5.5 sacks. I'm guessing 9+ for him.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
Easy choice, Dion to have more than 5.5 sacks. I'm guessing 9+ for him.

I never really thought 5.5 sacks for Dion in a 16 game season was very "bold" to begin with, but the rest are pretty solid predictions. I agree.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The other 3 choices are huge achievements compared to 5.5 sacks.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think that two on the offensive line have already been pro bowlers.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AQNOR wrote:
I think that two on the offensive line have already been pro bowlers.

Yes they have, it's more difficult to accomplish when both are on the same team though. It'd be an awesome change of pace to see it happen. It wouldn't really matter much if they both made it, and the other 3 at LG, RG and RT bombed throughout the season.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:50 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

what ....no all of the above!!!

Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:20 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Miami's Oline already has 2 pro bowlers so I would say that was not really a bold prediction and seems the most likely to happen.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]