View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Why might Koa Misi excel as the Dolphins' MLB? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Why might Koa Misi excel as the Dolphins' MLB?
I think what Omar is trying to say is that Misi is very coachable and does what he is taught. Hopefully Misi has the instincts for the position because that is a very important quality for a MLB in the 4-3.

Omar Kelly wrote:
Because Misi is reliable and dependable, and typically does exactly what he’s asked to do by his coaches. Misi is the Chad Henne of linebackers. He's very Robotic, and easy to program. If you tell him to do something expect it will be done, which means new linebacker coach Mark Duffner, who is very respected in NFL circles, could make this work.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... l+Blogs%29

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:37 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Why might Koa Misi excel as the Dolphins' MLB?
Dave, I know the players have to produce and do their assignments, but I believe hiring Mark Duffner as the linebackers coach is going to make a world of difference. I really expect a vast improvement in this position in 2014. That guy is among the best backer coach in the NFL.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:13 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
Dave, I know the players have to produce and do their assignments, but I believe hiring Mark Duffner as the linebackers coach is going to make a world of difference. I really expect a vast improvement in this position in 2014. That guy is among the best backer coach in the NFL.

I don't know the guy's background, what teams or notable players did he coach?

Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:44 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

East: Here is a snapshot on Duffner:

He spent the previous eight seasons in Jacksonville under three different head coaches – Jack Del Rio, Mike Mularkey and Gus Bradley. He helped develop veteran linebacker Paul Posluszny into an elite player making his first Pro Bowl appearance this year and first by a Jaguars linebacker since 1999.

Posluszny and Russell Allen became the first linebacker duo in franchise history to each record 200 or more tackles in a season, as Posluszny notched a career-best 231 with three interceptions and two sacks and Allen added a career-high 201. Three of the Jaguars’ top four seasons by a defensive player in terms of tackles were recorded under Duffner’s watch, which is why his departure was bittersweet for Bradley.

“Well, it was really quick. I can say that. He was a great man with our organization,” said Bradley on Monday after the South Team’s first practice. “I know the players are going to miss him. It was a situation where we sat down and talked. It’s a unique situation for him. We both talked about it. We’re sad to see him go, but I know, ultimately, he’s happy. He’s got great friends that are part of the organization, guys he coached with for many years, and has that type of relationship.” This guy can develop linebackers and get the very best out of them.

Duffner has coached linebackers for the past 17 years (3 years mixed in as Defensive Coordinator for the Bengals). He was the Bengals' linebackers coach from 1997-2000, then was elevated to defensive coordinator by then-head-coach Dick LeBeau in 2001, a post he held for two seasons. Under his stewardship, the Bengals set a franchise record for sacks in 2001, with 48. Duffner was vital at teaching an attacking style of defensive from the linebackers with aggressiveness of pressuring the QB and a style Lebeau carried with him to Pittsburgh.

Overall, Duffner, 52, has spent well more than 30 years of experience as a coach and has been an assistant in the NFL for nine seasons.

A former head coach at Holy Cross (1986-91) and Maryland (1992-96)

He joined then-coach Mike Sherman's staff in Green Bay in 2003 and was considered key to the development of standout middle linebacker Nick Barnett, the team's No. 1 draft pick in 2003.

In addition to his head coaching stints, Duffner also coached at the college level at Ohio State under Woody Hayes (1975-76) and the University of Cincinnati (1977-80). He was an assistant at Holy Cross for five years (1981-85) before being promoted to head coach in 1986.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]