View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
 'Fins Stadium Deal Officially Approved 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post 'Fins Stadium Deal Officially Approved
Quote:
South Florida will soon be back in the business of hosting Super Bowls after the Miami-Dade County Commission gave approval Tuesday to a deal that paves the way for major renovations of Sun Life Stadium.

The commission by a vote of 7-4 gave support to a plan for the county to pay incentives to the Miami Dolphins for hosting major events. In return, Dolphins owner Steve Ross will proceed with a $350 million project to modernize the 27-year-old stadium.

Under terms of the deal negotiated between the Dolphins and Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez, the team will continue to pay property taxes on the stadium. Ross will largely fund the renovation but may seek a state subsidy recently approved for stadium construction to help with the cost.

The renovations would help upgrade the 27-year-old stadium's lights, sound system, seats and other facilities so it could make strong bids a Super Bowl and other big events. It would also add a canopy over the seats, but not the field, to protect fans from the South Florida heat as well as the rain.

Dolphins President and CEO Tom Garfinkel told the commission that Ross will be ready to break ground on the project within a few weeks.

"Shows the commitment our owner has to making this a world-class organization," Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said of the approved stadium upgrades.

South Florida is tied with New Orleans for hosting the most Super Bowls with a total of 10. But South Florida hasn't hosted a Super Bowl since 2010. The next Super Bowl available for bid is in 2019, and finalists are expected to be selected in October.

The deal commits Miami-Dade to use tourist development money to pay the Dolphins $4 million for each Super Bowl hosted at Sun Life, and $3 million for a college football national championship game. A college playoff game, which Sun Life is slated to host every three years under the new Bowl Championship Series system, would bring $2 million.

Smaller sporting events generating 55,000 ticket sales, such as an international soccer match, would be worth $750,000, though the payout would be limited to $1.5 million in a year.

If the stadium were to host a World Cup soccer final, the payment would be $4 million, with a non-final match worth $3 million.

The amount that could be paid to the Dolphins in any year would be capped at $5 million.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl- ... 5599.story

Construction will begin in the next few weeks, phase one will be done before the start of the 2015 season and the entire project is scheduled to be completed before the start of the 2016 season.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: 'Fins Stadium Deal Officially Approved
I am personally looking forward to these changes and this will really modernize the facility and just as importantly bring back a 12th man atmosphere as they will be bringing the seats in much closer to the playing field, so the fan noise level will effect the games again and have that Orange Bowl effect like the ol days.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:34 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Why not just go all the way & dome it?

Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:30 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Finhead34 wrote:
I am personally looking forward to these changes and this will really modernize the facility and just as importantly bring back a 12th man atmosphere as they will be bringing the seats in much closer to the playing field, so the fan noise level will effect the games again and have that Orange Bowl effect like the ol days.

Now, that's what I am talking about!

Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:39 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:

So they can have that unique advantage of playing opponent's in the South Florida heat. The canopy is only covering the seats, the field will still be completely uncovered.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:30 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Worlds largest awning?

Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:06 am

The heat is not much of an advantage.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:

If you are the Oakland Raiders it is. Or any other team coming down south in a dark colored uni while Miami wears their all whites. My football team had their primaries as all black, and it sucked playing in the South Florida heat with them on. It definitely makes a difference.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:49 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
FINesse wrote:

If you are the Oakland Raiders it is. Or any other team coming down south in a dark colored uni while Miami wears their all whites. My football team had their primaries as all black, and it sucked playing in the South Florida heat with them on. It definitely makes a difference.

I agree 100%, also the players down here are more adjusted to playing in it, people adjust to the area they live in, some better than others, but Miami and Denver are very good examples of that, Denver's advantage is much better though since it lasts all season and our advantage is only early in the season, actually maybe that's what Fineese was referencing, since it is only early season itt's not that much of an advantage, but there are only a few teams with any type of real atmospheric advantage.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This deal also ends any possibility of the Dolphins leaving South Florida for the next 30 years.

"As part of the deal, the Dolphins agreed to not relocate outside of Miami-Dade for the next 30 years."

Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:
This deal also ends any possibility of the Dolphins leaving South Florida for the next 30 years.

"As part of the deal, the Dolphins agreed to not relocate outside of Miami-Dade for the next 30 years."

:yay:

Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Besides worrying about the heat for the opposing players, moving the seats closer to the field is HUGE.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:10 pm

The best home field advantage is having the better team. No worries there.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse, of course you need a winning team above anything else, but being that they are renovating everything, I am very happy they are bringing the seats in closer. That stadium will become much much louder and that is part of the Ross plan.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:17 pm

No doubt Finhead & I get it. Im just saying that Joe Robbie Stadium or whatever the name is never has really given us a home field advantage & I am not sure it will. Simply put it is not the Orange Bowl & of course on some levels that is a good thing. I think its easier for cold weather teams to play in the heat than warm weather teams to play in the cold. In the past few years I have seen Oakland , Cleveland , NY , NE , etc all comedown here & win. (those were just games that I attended).
Plus if you are going to have these other events from concerts , to wrestling to whatever , with the climate here & the afternoon rain storms during this time of year especially .... just go all the way & retractible dome it like the Marlins did.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:

Thats the best part of this news.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:42 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

bobby0112 wrote:

Uh... there just so happens to be a neighborhood called Miami-Dade in the greater Los Angeles area... so let's double check the fine print on that one... :haha

Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse, you say they may not ever get home field advantage, well until that is proven you are correct today, but the plan by Ross is to bring the seats as close to the field as the NFL will allow and I can guarantee you that alone will at least vastly improve the annoyance against the opposing teams.

I have been to many game at this stadium and a couple of games in particular, a Monday night game a few years back against the Jets and then last year when we won against the Patriots at home where the stadium was rocking loud, but the whole problem when they configured Joe Robbie Stadium was the fact they built the stands so darn far from the field.

Anyway, not to go on and on, but I am super excited about this and actually I like the idea that they are leaving the elements over the playing field, yet making it more comfortable for the fans by putting a cover over those areas.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:55 am

Finhead34 wrote:
FINesse, you say they may not ever get home field advantage, well until that is proven you are correct today, but the plan by Ross is to bring the seats as close to the field as the NFL will allow and I can guarantee you that alone will at least vastly improve the annoyance against the opposing teams.

I have been to many game at this stadium and a couple of games in particular, a Monday night game a few years back against the Jets and then last year when we won against the Patriots at home where the stadium was rocking loud, but the whole problem when they configured Joe Robbie Stadium was the fact they built the stands so darn far from the field.

Anyway, not to go on and on, but I am super excited about this and actually I like the idea that they are leaving the elements over the playing field, yet making it more comfortable for the fans by putting a cover over those areas.

Fans will have to actually start showing up to gain the advantage though, because even with closer seats and a giant awning if it continues to be a half full stadium it doesn't have the desired effect.

The thing is though, it will work when it needs to, when we become a good team fans will start showing up and that is actually when you really need it, when your actually a contender, and according to the design it will probably be even louder than the Orange bowl, that is a good play-off advantage.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:37 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Someday soon Finster, the Dolphins will become relevant again and I will be enjoying my season tickets! I am 12 rows off the field now, eventually as I hope to gain some seniority these next few years, I will be moving down a bit more and enjoy being loud against the opposing team!

I plan to fly out to as many as I can attend this fall too. Cannot wait for the season to start.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:02 am

From your type pad to Gods ear brother, it has been a long time in the desert and I am thirsty.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:22 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finster wrote:
From your type pad to Gods ear brother, it has been a long time in the desert and I am thirsty.

Ain't that the truth...I have never seen this team at a respectful level throughout my time following them. Gotta miss the John Beck, Henne, White, Ginn Family, Camrillo, Saban, and Cameron days. They are the reason why I loathe the previous logo, it has such a stink attached to its image and resembles the franchise's darkest years.

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:00 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

FINesse wrote:

You would have to think Ross looked at that and the cost was to much, or more than he wanted to spend. As it is, 350M is a chunk of change.

I give Ross a lot of credit for doing this. He could have continued to try to push for funding. He is doing something a lot of owners would not do.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:01 pm

Will be nice if the fans actually show up & stay until the end of the game. This South Florida fan base is so band wagon jumper. The arena was empty at the end of those Heat games last week and that is a team that wins. Also very hard to have a home field advantage when you are out numbered.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
The arena was empty at the end of those Heat games last week and that is a team that wins. Also very hard to have a home field advantage when you are out numbered.

Any home arena of a team that was down 20 + points with 7 minutes to go would be emptied. It pisses me off how people only attribute that to Miami because it's total bullshi. Same thing happened in OKC this post season, but nobody says a darn thing about it.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:01 am

Last season the arena emptied when they were down by 5 and came back to win vs. San Antonio. Bosh even was critical of the fans.
Look , afc , I get it ...I know how you feel about South Florida ... but at some point you have to give in & admit that this is a terrible sports town.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:12 am

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Finster wrote:

Ain't that the truth...I have never seen this team at a respectful level throughout my time following them. Gotta miss the John Beck, Henne, White, Ginn Family, Camrillo, Saban, and Cameron days. They are the reason why I loathe the previous logo, it has such a stink attached to its image and resembles the franchise's darkest years.

I definitely get where your coming from East, but for us old timers that old logo represents the glory years of this franchise, every SB appearance the Fins have had has been with that old logo, Dan Marino never wore another logo, but I do understand your point from your perspective.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
Last season the arena emptied when they were down by 5 and came back to win vs. San Antonio. Bosh even was critical of the fans.
Look , afc , I get it ...I know how you feel about South Florida ... but at some point you have to give in & admit that this is a terrible sports town.

I know we don't have the best fans, all I'm saying is we get more of a bad rep than we deserve when the same exact thing happens in blue collar towns like OKC and Indianapolis all the time, but no one pays no mind because it doesn't fit their Miami bashing agenda.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:41 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finster wrote:
I definitely get where your coming from East, but for us old timers that old logo represents the glory years of this franchise, every SB appearance the Fins have had has been with that old logo, Dan Marino never wore another logo, but I do understand your point from your perspective.

No, no, no dude....lol I love the old vintage late 60s-early 90s logo. I am talking about the one players like Henne, Beck, White, the Ginn Family, etc all represented:

And Dan did wear that garbage in the final couple years of his career...the only semblance of greatness that can possibly be associated with it.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:43 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

No, no, no dude....lol I love the old vintage late 60s-early 90s logo. I am talking about the one players like Henne, Beck, White, the Ginn Family, etc all represented:

Don't forget Eddie Moore!

:)

Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:49 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I would love them to go back to the 1984 Uniforms!!

Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:42 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Just wondering...

This new awning... It's not going to be fully transparent.... Will it cause weird shadow spots on the field? I can foresee a situation where on a 4 pm game..... one endzone is fully in the shade.... and by the end of the game, the other one becomes the shaded endzone based on the sun shifting throughout the 3 hour game...

Should make for an interesting dynamic, having to worry about shadows and strategizing for the optimum endzone throughout the game

Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:30 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

From Barry Jackson this morning:

Barry Jackson wrote:
With their stadium deal approved, the Dolphins won’t ever again need to worry about Norman Braman, with whom they met previously to try to persuade him to stop speaking out against Stephen Ross’ 2013 bid for public funding. And no, Braman doesn’t approve of this agreement, either; Ross will finance renovations but will be paid by the county for luring big events.

“Why are we spending so much time coming up with ideas to help a guy worth $6 billion?” Braman asked. “I’d like as much ingenious thought given to improving the quality of life in our community, coming up with ways to keep libraries open. It’s still welfare for billionaires.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:28 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

ouch.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:33 am

"welfare for billionaires", lol.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:25 am

Didn't Norman Braman try to do the same thing in Philadephia?

Don't his businesses also benefit from subsidies and tax breaks (hint: yes)?

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:42 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I would think that this stadium deal will bring in a lot of capital to the area in revenue .... especially if they can bring a Super Bowl to Florida.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]