View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Ryan Tannehill vocal at Miami Dolphins minicamp, ready to ma 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Ryan Tannehill vocal at Miami Dolphins minicamp, ready to ma
Quote:
Possibly buoyed by a meeting with Don Shula, Dan Marino and Bob Griese, Ryan Tannehill was vocal Tuesday at minicamp and is ready to assume a more leadership role.

How’s this for a dinner party:

Three generations of Miami Dolphins quarterbacks – Bob Griese, Dan Marino and Ryan Tannehill.

And their host? Only the winningest coach in NFL history.

A few weeks back, Don Shula organized the A-list quarterback summit at one of his popular steakhouses.

“We talked football,” Tannehill said Tuesday. “Heard some old stories and had a good time. It’s nice. You have two Hall of Fame players, a Hall of Fame coach sitting at the table with you, there’s just so much knowledge, so much experience.”

Perhaps some of Marino’s legendary temper rubbed off on his young successor.

Because Tannehill was red-hot during Tuesday’s minicamp-opening practice, chewing out receivers Rishard Matthews and Gerald Ford on separate occasions.

In part, it was boiled-over frustration after he threw an interception and misfired on several other occasions.

But it was also a glimpse into Tannehill’s new place in Miami’s hierarchy: Atop the player leadership pyramid.

“To come out here and have that on our first day of minicamp is really kind of unacceptable,” he told reporters after practice. “Now I’m more apt to step up and say something and make a statement. That’s part of playing the quarterback position. Now I feel more comfortable. I have the respect of my teammates around me and I can do that".

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/06/17/4 ... miami.html

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:15 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Ryan Tannehill vocal at Miami Dolphins minicamp, ready to ma
Going to be a special season.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:38 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

To be a fly on the wall at that dinner . .

Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:43 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

its about time Tanne is getting frustrated enough to express it. & I'm glad he's feeling the need to show the WR's this is his team!

Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:45 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I dont get the yelling at the first minicamp while bringing in a new offense, this is explanation time not yelling time, a true leader is not yelling right now, he's explaining, now is a time for talking, getting on the same page, patience is the key right now.

Then I think, who the F is he to be yelling at anyone, he screws up as much or more then everyone else, yelling does not equal leadership, in fact when yelling at a time when there is no cause is a lack of leadership, and will cause division, and is a real good way to lose the team because other players will start to ridicule you, after all who is he to be yelling when he is throwing picks and continuing to miss the deep ball, maybe Lazor should be yelling at him...

You can't just start acting like Marino, if Marino played like Tanne then he wouldn't be Marino, Marino established himself as the leader of the franchise before he started yelling at players, if TTanne has a similar season to last year then this will probably be his last year here, he has in no way established himself as the leader of this franchise, when Dan yelled at Duper, Duper could not reply by saying "shut the F up until you can complete a deep ball".

HHaving said all that, I do believe he was just fired up after the HOF diiner he had and will settle back down, as he should, leadership should never be faked or forced, it should be natural, not every great QB is a yeller either, each to his own type of leadership that is natural to the individual, and for Tanne, first things first, become a better QB, establish yourself as the man before you start acting like the man and earn the respect of your team, then you can become the leader, until then your just another guy in a foxhole, not the general.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finster wrote:
I dont get the yelling at the first minicamp while bringing in a new offense, this is explanation time not yelling time, a true leader is not yelling right now, he's explaining, now is a time for talking, getting on the same page, patience is the key right now.

Then I think, who the F is he to be yelling at anyone, he screws up as much or more then everyone else, yelling does not equal leadership, in fact when yelling at a time when there is no cause is a lack of leadership, and will cause division, and is a real good way to lose the team because other players will start to ridicule you, after all who is he to be yelling when he is throwing picks and continuing to miss the deep ball, maybe Lazor should be yelling at him...

You can't just start acting like Marino, if Marino played like Tanne then he wouldn't be Marino, Marino established himself as the leader of the franchise before he started yelling at players, if TTanne has a similar season to last year then this will probably be his last year here, he has in no way established himself as the leader of this franchise, when Dan yelled at Duper, Duper could not reply by saying "shut the F up until you can complete a deep ball".

HHaving said all that, I do believe he was just fired up after the HOF diiner he had and will settle back down, as he should, leadership should never be faked or forced, it should be natural, not every great QB is a yeller either, each to his own type of leadership that is natural to the individual, and for Tanne, first things first, become a better QB, establish yourself as the man before you start acting like the man and earn the respect of your team, then you can become the leader, until then your just another guy in a foxhole, not the general.

As I said in another post, he said a few words to each guy. Lets not pretend he ripped them up and down for lacking ability. That isn't the case here. Not sure why the press is making such a big deal out of it.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:21 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Finster wrote:

When a player with a reputation of not working hard or putting 100% effort gives up on a play, like Rishard Matthews reportedly did in the one instance Tannehill got vocal, you yell.

He either has to get it or he goes.

In the other instance, it was a rookie in his first day of practice running the wrong route. That's when you pull them aside and explain.

Additionally, we're getting second hand accounts on these incidents, so we're not getting full context. I don't think it is fair to make a judgment either way on whether Tannehill was right or wrong for doing what he did.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]