View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Dolphins Roster Bubble: Daniel Thomas 

Does Daniel Thomas make the final 53?
Yes 62%  62%  [ 8 ]
No 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 13

Dolphins Roster Bubble: Daniel Thomas 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins Roster Bubble: Daniel Thomas
Quote:
Player: RB Daniel Thomas

2013 stats: 406 rushing yards, four touchdowns

Why he could make it: Lamar Miller and Knowshon Moreno are locks. But after that, Thomas remains the early favorite to land the No. 3 running back job. Thomas has the experience advantage competing with youngsters Mike Gillislee and Damian Williams. Gillislee and Williams will have to show a lot in training camp and the preseason. Thomas was Miami’s short-yardage back last year. Finding a niche again this year is his best chance to make the 53-man roster.

Why he couldn’t make it: Thomas is a draft bust who may be out of chances. He is a 2011 second-round pick of former Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland, who had a penchant for holding onto his draft picks, regardless of performance. But new general manager Dennis Hickey doesn’t have the same attachment to Thomas. There is a crowded field of running backs, and Thomas is firmly on the hot seat.

Chances to stick: 55 percent

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/ ... iel-thomas

Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:18 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Dolphins Roster Bubble: Daniel Thomas
I say he doesn't make it. For all his size, he doesn't really run with power. I think the door is wide open for Gillislee to take that third roster spot.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
I say he doesn't make it. For all his size, he doesn't really run with power. I think the door is wide open for Gillislee to take that third roster spot.

As sad as this sounds, I don't think Gillislee will outperform Thomas in camp. I see DT just barely making the roster as the 3rd RB on the depth chart. I hope I'm wrong though, Gillislee obviously has more upside since it seems Thomas has already reached his mediocre ceiling.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:47 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

It's hard to say. With the addition of Knowshon Moreno you'd think he'd be out, but is there anyone behind him better and able to beat him out? I really don't think so. Also, he's on the books for $1,029,756. The Dolphins can deal with that number for another year.

Barry Jackson wrote:
### The Dolphins are making considerable use of running backs in the passing game, and Daniel Thomas was particularly impressive in that regard today.

“Our backs are going to line out and catch balls,” Tannehill said. “When you have [backs] who have good hands and can make people miss, it adds a whole other dimension to your offense."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:04 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

It all depends on what their plan is behind Moreno and Miller, do they want to stick with the steady but unspectacular primary back up or a faster shiftier player with more ceiling but needs time to develop.

If there are no injuries at RB then DT will hardly ever see the field, and they may be inclined to put Miller in as a starter if Moreno gets hurt, or if Miller gets hurt they probably want a back up thats like Miller not DT.

If they keep 4 RBs then I would think DT is a part of this team for 1 more year, unless someone impresses in TC.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:55 am

To me, the RB position is one of those positions where you either have it or you don't. It's pretty black and white.

You either have the power to run up the middle and drag defenders or you don't.

You either have the quickness to hit the hole and make people miss or you don't.

You either have the speed to get outside and to the second level or you don't.

You either have wiggle or you don't.

You either have vision or you don't.

Those are things that if you don't have, you will never have.

Daniel Thomas has displayed none of these attributes. Ever.

For a 230 lbs back, he goes down easily. He's not fast. He is not quick. He is not elusive. He is not even good at what he is supposed to be good at, which is pass protection.

He's a waste of roster space.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:09 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

He had a few good games last year if I remember correctly.

I would be all for him making the roster and competing. Gillislee hasn't shown jack either. At least Thomas has performed in a game.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:12 pm

IamPZ wrote:
He had a few good games last year if I remember correctly.

One is not the same as a few.

The guy had 406 yards in a 16 game season and has averaged under 4 ypc his entire career.

Quote:
I would be all for him making the roster and competing.

Shouldn't he compete before making the roster?

Quote:
Gillislee hasn't shown jack either. At least Thomas has performed in a game.

Can't show jack when the coaching staff doesn't play you as a rookie.

Thomas has performed in a game and underperformd in a whole bunch of them. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Well, this injury news swirling around Moreno certainly increases his chances.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:08 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm still mad we didn't draft Terence West. Heard he looks great in Cleveland this summer and they're expecting a big rookie season.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:42 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

After reading that Moreno may need surgery on his knee, I think Thomas now remains on the roster.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:05 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I agree Tony, Thomas stays now.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:22 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I think the one thing that is being ignored in this whole thread is Thigpen.

Yes, I think its been made clear that he has converted to WR, but WR is stacked right now. Miami has like 13 receivers on the roster, and Hartline, Wallace, Landry are locks to make the roster. Assuming they keep 6, Binns, Gibson, and Matthews are the early favorites for the other 6. Projections aside.... The only way Miami is carrying more than 7 WRs on the roster will be for ST duty..... which is probably the only way Thigpen makes the team in that regards....

BUT.... Thigpen can be shifted back to the RB field pool.... especially with the idea that Miami RBs will be doing more line outs and such. Thigpen may be better suited to be the #3 RB..... if not #4

So I guess what I am saying is Thigpen will be the x factor in the RB roster positioning.

1. Moreno
1a. Miller
3. Thomas/Gillespie/Thigpen

Odd man out.... well... Thigpen is our returner...... Thomas is our "thumper" and a bad one at that.... Gillespie was supposed to be a good blocking back and the youngest.

I guess it comes down to potential vs consistency....... DT is 2.5 yards and a helmet falling forward. Gillespie is more dynamic, but will he ever get a real chance?

Honestly, with Philbin in a make or break year..... I think Gillespie gets cut... They seem to like DT for some reason that we are all blind too. I think DT makes the roster, and i think its the wrong decision

Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:21 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

E very back othet than thigpen has been consistantly average or worse. No big play ability or make guys miss. They just gain whatever yards the oline allows for. I think thigpen deserves at least a shot to be the full time back. Maybe hed also be awful but he at least has shownt he ability to make guys miss.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]