View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
 Koa Misi- DE/OLB- 2nd round pick 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Koa Misi- DE/OLB- 2nd round pick
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/ ... ?id=496820

Quote:
Five mock-busters who could make the 1st Round: OLB Koa Misi, Utah: Roughly half of the NFL is now planning on operating primarily out of the 3-4 alignment. That fact makes established pass rushers like Misi ones to watch on draft day. Possessing an explosive first step as a defensive end for the Utes, the 6-3, 251 pound Misi impressed scouts in linebacker drills in workouts. Both he and Virginia Tech's Jason Worilds are viewed as locks for the second round, but an early run on the position could push either into the first round. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

Video: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1245666

ESPN Insider wrote:
ESPN INSIDER

OVERALL FOOTBALL TRAITS:

Production 2
2006: First-team all-conference defensive end helped Santa Rosa Junior College to a division title and a bowl invitation.
2007: (13/11) 67 tackles, 8 TFL, 2.5 sacks, 2 PBU, 2 FR. Played DE for the first two games, moving to tackle when injuries struck.
2008: (13/13) 68 tackles, 8. 5 TFL, 3 sacks, 6 PBU, 3 FF, 1 FR. Second-team all-Mountain West.
2009: (12/12) 71 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 5 sacks, 3 FF. First team All-Mountain West.

Height-Weight-Speed 3
Adequate height, weight and top-end

Durability
2009: Misses season opener with back injury.

Intangibles 2
Lined up at defensive tackle, defensive end and outside linebacker while at Utah. Father played football for Hawaii. 2007: Academic All-MWC. 2008: Won Utah's defensive Iron Ute award.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER SPECIFIC TRAITS:

Instincts/Recognition 2
Can be a step slow recognizing screens but shows above-average instincts overall. Keeps head up, locks long arms out and locates the ball quickly. Moving from end to outside linebacker should also help him read keys and locate the ball because won't get engulfed by offensive tackles as much. Showed good awareness and positioning in underneath zone coverage at Senior Bowl.

Strength/Toughness 2
Isn't big enough to consistently hold ground against the run if asked to line up at end in the NFL but plays with good leverage and stouter than size suggests. Above-average upper body strength and appears more than capable of setting the edge at the outside linebacker position.

Range vs. Run 3
Takes sound pursuit angles and shows good lateral mobility when scraping down the line of scrimmage but top-end speed and range appear just adequate on film.

Tackling 3
Flashes the ability to deliver the big hit and wraps up when gets hands on the ball carrier but doesn't show great body control or agility in space. Concerned about open field tackling.

3rd Down Capabilities 3
Physical and has shown the ability reroute tight ends at the line of scrimmage on film. Reason to be optimistic about ability to develop serviceable underneath man-to-man cover skills. While listed at 263 pounds on roster weighed 244 pounds at the Senior Bowl and appeared more fluid there than he did on film. Adequate range in zone coverage but doesn't appear fast enough on film to consistently turn and run with NFL tight ends and backs. Greatest strength is rushing the passer. Doesn't have elite closing speed but quicker than fast. Uses hands to prevent tackle from locking on to frame, gets underneath outside shoulder and then bends back inside. Flashes the ability to get under offensive tackle and drive them back into the quarterback's lap. Gets hands up when sees quarterback start throwing motion and times jumps fairly well. Has ample experience rushing out of a two-point stance.

1 = Exceptional
2 = Above average
3 = Average
4 = Below average
5 = Marginal

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/pl ... 2/koa-misi

Quote:
EXPERT COMMENTS

ESPN SCOUTS INC

What he brings: Misi is going to make the transition from defensive end to outside linebacker, but we believe it will be a smooth transition. He has experience rushing the quarterback out of a 2-point stance and we had many chances to see him move in space at the Senior Bowl, where he had a strong week. Although he doesn?t have elite measurables, he is tough enough to set the edge against the run and he is a dynamic pass-rusher.

How he fits: Miami's two most productive pass-rushers at the linebacker position -- Joey Porter, who had nine sacks, and Jason Taylor, who had seven -- are gone. Cameron Wake provides a lot of pass-rush upside, but still needs a lot of grooming. Misi's transition from defensive end to outside linebacker will improve the team quickly versus the run and, the Dolphins hope, in time against the pass. link

SI Analysis
Miami fills the need at outside linebacker opposite former CFL star Cameron Wake, taking Misi over the more highly touted Sergio Kindle from Texas. Misi is relentless and physical, possessing the non-stop motor and mindset that Bill Parcells always covets. link

Pro Football Weekly's Nawrocki
The Dolphins greatest need was arguably at the rush linebacker position, having cut Joey Porter and not resigned Jason Taylor. Misi does not have prototypical size or length, but he can convert his strength into power and has a motor that does not stop. He could compete with SLB Charlie Anderson for a starting job out of the gate. link

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:21 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Koa Misi- 2nd round pick
Never heard of him so he must suck.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Quote:
Read & React: Very good football instincts -- sniffs out screens, misdirection and cut blocks. Reads routes and knows where the hot read is in coverage.

Run defense: Explosive coming off the edge if untouched, flexible enough to chase down backs. Lacks the bulk to play end on early downs at the next level, but is strong enough as a linebacker on the edge to be an effective run stopper. Smart on containment and takes away the cutback lane. Punches linemen coming out to block, can disengage to make a play. Gets through trash to find the ball. Excellent chase and hustle down the line or downfield.

Pass defense: Very fluid in his drops, turns hips and gets deep quickly. Will struggle getting off lineman blocks, but seems to find creases to get to the ball in traffic. Good ball awareness whether blitzing or dropped into zone coverage. Gets his hands up when unable to reach the quarterback. Beats cut blocks with his hands and agile enough to recover. Strong enough to handle tight ends on the edge but needs to improve his hand usage on the line. Hustles back to get to open receivers in zones.

Tackling: Excellent tackler, strong upper body and brings his hips to explode into ballcarriers. Breaks down in space and has the agility to rein in elusive players. Tracks down quicker players from behind in space with pure hustle. Will be a force on special teams, playing inside on coverage units.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Played mostly defensive end for the Utes, quick off the edge and plays through the whistle. When standing up, he has nice closing speed to the QB and some shiftiness to defeat running backs inside or turn the corner on lineman outside. Also uses his hands to keep lineman off balance and get around their outside shoulder. Will need counter moves and learn how to blow up blocks in the backfield.

Intangibles: Team captain. High character player praised by his coaches for work ethic. Suffered back injury in preseason practice, worked hard to miss only the first game of 2009 season.

Phinfever Live!!!

RIP, Tom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:28 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

The Dolphins picked him in the 2nd so I hate him and cant wait to read all the posts and hear all the reporters talk about what a dumb pick this was....

:pumpiron: :fart: :embarrassed:

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:45 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

He looks like he has a non-stop motor and some serious closing speed..I like this pick already.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:02 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

fonzy wrote:
He looks like he has a non-stop motor and some serious closing speed..I like this pick already.

Well since you went on the serious + positive approach. I am with you on that, specially seeing a 3-4 OLB thats also good in coverage & against the run. I think its a big need after loosing Porter & Taylor, I like Wake, but he needed this kind of help....

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:04 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

obviously we were one of the teams extremely concerned with Kindle's knee and potential need for microfracture surgery.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:16 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

i like the pick after reading his bio. the bad pick so far in round 2 is t.j. ward of the browns. imho :war:

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:17 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I think Koa is going to be a very solid contributor for years to come. I don't think that he will be a superstar but a guy we certainly not lose games because of.

If we could pick up Jacoby Ford and then hopefully squeeze out Major Wright we would be in perfect position.

Another guy i really like is Ricky Sapp out of Clemson.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:19 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:

could not have said it better myself

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:28 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I added Scouting info and "expert" analysis after the pick in the very first post in this thread. So, go back and reread The Hen's post to see more info.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:44 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
His name is pronounced "KO-a MEE-see," but his full name is Nawa'akoa Lisiate Foti Analeseanoa Misi.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 7186.story

Phinfever Live!!!

RIP, Tom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:50 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
I added Scouting info and "expert" analysis after the pick in the very first post in this thread. So, go back and reread The Hen's post to see more info.

But you missed out on PR's analysis. Nothing else matters.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

eleaf wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

:)

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I hope he turns out to be a day 1 starter. I'm starting to see that our FO really likes these Utah prospects.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

eleaf wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Don't anyone ever give their analysis on players unless they're certified by the NFL. Just trying to save you guys the wrath of E:Leaf ......
:fart:

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MIAcubano13 wrote:
I'm starting to see that our FO really likes these Utah prospects.

Because they drafted one guy from there?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:16 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Iowafin wrote:
MIAcubano13 wrote:

Sean Smith...

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
MIAcubano13 wrote:

Sean Smith...

I thought he was referring to this year's prospects.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:20 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: Koa Misi- DE/OLB- 2nd round pick
i thought Kindle would have been the pick--- but Misi... ok...

looks good...hope he makes some plays for the Fins!!!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Here's a video I found of him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/nf ... n/19217537

Like I was saying in the chat, I think he is this year's Clay Mathews. Not as heralded seeing as he is from Utah, but I think he can have a similar impact. I'm concerned about his size though. They list him at 251, but he played at 235-240.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Ireland...Misi to play outside for Dolphins, can play anywhere...

Randy Starks most likley to Nose (inside).....

http://www.miamidolphins.com/miami-dolp ... al-feature

Phinfever Live!!!

RIP, Tom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:22 pm
Profile YIM
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The Hen wrote:

Interesting, Randy Starks is a beast. He could probably take over NT, even though I think that Odrick can Play NT as well. I mean everyone talks about needing a huge mass at NT, but last time I checked Jason Ferguson Is under 310lbs.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:43 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Wow two words come to mind after watching that video...

CLOSING SPEED

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:57 pm

The Hen wrote:

That's aweful. I'm pretty disapointed actually. I do it in Madden cause it's awesome, but I don't think it's going to be a waste of his abilities.

We'll see, obviously they know more than I or any of us, so, we'll see.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I love the Misi pick. I was hoping for Kindle or Misi. They hit it with Misi...he's gonna be a stud.

Maybe off topic, but since we're discussing Starks moving to NT and there's been word about a new defense....I was wondering if that new defense had Starks off-center in a 1-technique, Langford in a 3 and Wake in a 5, then Odrick in a 5 and Misi as some kind of "Warrior" back (We used it in a defensive scheme that made a certain player the joker/wild player so he could line up wherever to apply pressue)

It'd be more of a 5-2 than a 3-4.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Iowafin wrote:
I love the Misi pick. I was hoping for Kindle or Misi. They hit it with Misi...he's gonna be a stud.

Maybe off topic, but since we're discussing Starks moving to NT and there's been word about a new defense....I was wondering if that new defense had Starks off-center in a 1-technique, Langford in a 3 and Wake in a 5, then Odrick in a 5 and Misi as some kind of "Warrior" back (We used it in a defensive scheme that made a certain player the joker/wild player so he could line up wherever to apply pressue)

Wouldn't Wake playing a 5 technique mean he is playing inbetween the guard and the tackle?? Or just over the tackle? Don't know how that would pan out.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:54 pm

I don't like all these "techniques"... makes everything so confusing my head starts to spin!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Quote:
Primarily a defensive end during his three seasons at Utah, Misi will battle holdovers Cameron Wake, Charlie Anderson, Quentin Moses and Erik Walden for the chance to replace Jason Taylor and Joey Porter at outside linebacker.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 4916.story

Phinfever Live!!!

RIP, Tom

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:07 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The Hen wrote:
Quote:
Primarily a defensive end during his three seasons at Utah, Misi will battle holdovers Cameron Wake, Charlie Anderson, Quentin Moses and Erik Walden for the chance to replace Jason Taylor and Joey Porter at outside linebacker.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 4916.story

Versatility is a theme here. Misi can play all the Linebacker positions that includes inside next to Dansby. Odrick is versatile and so is Jerry.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:13 am

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:18 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Wouldn't Wake playing a 5 technique mean he is playing inbetween the guard and the tackle?? Or just over the tackle? Don't know how that would pan out.

Ok, so move Wake just outside the tackle on the weak side. Langford on the weakside 3 gap, Starks strongside 1 gap, Odrick strongside 5 and Misi outside.
I was doodling last night trying to figure out what would go where, and I guess I came up with this 5-2 that was just essentially a 4-3 "Over" formation.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:12 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowafin wrote:

Looks like you hit it right on the head. The column from Armando Salguero seems to suggest that is what Mike Nolan had in mind with Starks playing off center.

Mike Nolan has me excited with how he is going to use his personnel. He is a much more aggressive coach than Paul Pasqualoni.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:27 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
• Utah linebacker Koa Misi: ``When you want a 3-4 outside linebacker, this is the guy you want,'' ESPN's Mel Kiper said. ``Real quick. Tremendous sustained intensity level. That's what impressed me.'' . . . Misi had just eight sacks combined in 2008 and '09 -- ``very average sack production against midlevel competition,'' Pro Football Weekly said, ``but his competitive, high-intensity football temperament gives evaluators comfort he will develop into a solid pro.'' . . .

Misi, Charlie Anderson and Cameron Wake are the top options for two starting outside linebacker jobs; Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said Misi doesn't have Wake's outside speed ``but he is a very creative rusher'' and ``tremendous'' in pass coverage.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/24/1 ... z0m4C8z0oU

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]