View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Ryan Tannehill likes what he sees from Dolphins' new offense 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Ryan Tannehill likes what he sees from Dolphins' new offense
Quote:
By Chris Perkins, Sun Sentinel

5:30 p.m. EDT, June 18, 2014

DAVIE —

Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill has nothing but good things to say about offensive coordinator Bill Lazor's new system, which is loaded with pre-snap motion designed to create mismatches.

"I like a lot of things about it," Tannehill said. "I think we have a good run package. It spreads the field, creates running lanes inside. We get the ball all over the field to all of our playmakers and create matchups. That's fun for me. We have the guys that can win those one-on-one matchups.

"When you can spread them out, isolate them and get those one-on-one matchups, it's fun for me to distribute the ball."

Tannehill, who seems comfortable in the new system so far, said his offensive teammates have also given Lazor's offense a thumbs-up.

"I think they like it," Tannehill said. ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 5864.story

Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:26 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Ryan Tannehill likes what he sees from Dolphins' new offense
I'm resisting the urge to get too excited about this offense.

I've read so many good things now I'm convinced its a media tactic designed to draw the fans in. & I'm not falling for it this time haha

Seriously tho, what if this system is just what Tannehill needs to maximize his talents? Eek!

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

what's amazing is just changing the snap count up, will make them better.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:01 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Kev1321 wrote:
what's amazing is just changing the snap count up, will make them better.

I heard on some plays, instead of GO for pass or GO GO for run, they are going to use STOP for pass and STOP STOP for run.

That should really throw the defense off.

STOP STOP!

Oh, they ain't running no play boys... just stand around!

Touchdown!

Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:09 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Landry is the guy that I was excited to see us draft. I think he'll be another OJ McDuffie as far as dependability.

Quote:
Receiver Jarvis Landry is progressing quickly. The second-round draft choice is getting looks both outside and in the slot. Ryan Tannehill said Landry has some of the strongest hands he’s ever seen. This guy could be a real player from the start.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... e-preview/

Quote:
Brian Hartline and Mike Wallace are entrenched on the outside, but there is opportunity for Landry in the slot. The slot position was heavily targeted by Ryan Tannehill in 2013.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9405/jarvis-landry

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:35 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Wasn't really sure where to put this and can't put the link on because it is ESPN Insider, but Mike Sando did a survey with 26 sources (2 HCs, a bunch of DCs, some talent evaluators, etc) and asked them to rank QBs on a scale of 1-5 (1 being elite, 5 being awful).

Tannehill ranked 23 out of the 32 with the average score being 3.32.

The comment that stuck out to me was a defensive coordinator saying he is a game manager where everything has to be right for him to be OK. Not the best arm, not the best release and when his team played they didn't fear him.

Ouch!

Only other comment was a pro personnel guy who said Tannehill should be in the 2nd tier (where average score would be under 2.5).

Guys who were below Tannehill: McCown, Schaub, Henne, Manuel, Cassel, Hoyer, Fitzpatrick, Locker and G. Smith.

Guys just ahead of him were Bradford, Palmer, RG III and Dalton.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:44 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
Wasn't really sure where to put this and can't put the link on because it is ESPN Insider, but Mike Sando did a survey with 26 sources (2 HCs, a bunch of DCs, some talent evaluators, etc) and asked them to rank QBs on a scale of 1-5 (1 being elite, 5 being awful).

Tannehill ranked 23 out of the 32 with the average score being 3.32.

The comment that stuck out to me was a defensive coordinator saying he is a game manager where everything has to be right for him to be OK. Not the best arm, not the best release and when his team played they didn't fear him.

Ouch!

Only other comment was a pro personnel guy who said Tannehill should be in the 2nd tier (where average score would be under 2.5).

Guys who were below Tannehill: McCown, Schaub, Henne, Manuel, Cassel, Hoyer, Fitzpatrick, Locker and G. Smith.

Guys just ahead of him were Bradford, Palmer, RG III and Dalton.

That sounds about right to me, he has a lot of minor issues, most of them are coachable, the real problem is the amount of issues, none of them major but enough of them so that they as a whole are a major concern, footwork, reads, anticipation, seeing the rush, accuracy and leadership are all areas of concern, it's a lot on your plate to try to improve in each area.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:01 pm

Finster wrote:
That sounds about right to me, he has a lot of minor issues, most of them are coachable, the real problem is the amount of issues, none of them major but enough of them so that they as a whole are a major concern, footwork, reads, anticipation, seeing the rush, accuracy and leadership are all areas of concern, it's a lot on your plate to try to improve in each area.

That's why it is important to have a running game and pass protection when developing a young QB. No matter how polished they are coming out of college, if they do not have a run game or pass protection, they are going to struggle that much more. You look at a Matt Ryan and he came to the NFL surrounded by superior talent and was able to shine early. Last season, everything fell apart and his game followed suit.

So imagine a player like Tannehill, who was considered "raw". He is going to need that running game and pass protection even more than a "finished" product like Ryan or Luck.

And what has happened is he has begun to develop some bad habits because he has so much going against him from poor pass protection to a poor running game to a lack of a consistent go to guy to a vanilla system and poor playcalling of Mike Sherman.

That's why I find it remarkable that he put up the numbers he did in 2013.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Miami Dolphins starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill remains a polarizing figure entering his third season in the NFL.

Despite a mediocre 15-17 career record, some believe he has the tools to become Miami’s quarterback for years to come. Others point out his weaknesses, such as a lack of a deep ball and, at times, holding the ball too long as reasons he can't take the next step. There seems to be a love/hate relationship developing with Tannehill as he enters a crucial year for himself and the Dolphins’ organization.

ESPN.com NFL Insider Mike Sando further examined the Tannehill dichotomy in his excellent piece Insider ranking 32 quarterbacks into four tiers (one being the best, four being the lowest). No quarterbacks landed in the lowest tier. Sando surveyed 26 league insiders, which included general managers, head coaches, pro personnel evaluators and even some players.

Tannehill finished at the bottom of the third tier and was ranked 23rd out of 32 quarterbacks. Here was Sando's explanation: ...

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/ ... rd-rank-qb

Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:27 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Doesn't matter how creative this offense is. If the line can't proTect Tranny long enough, it's gonna be the same song and dance as last year. As of right now, the only true upgrade has been done at left tackle. All other positions on the line could be just as bad as last year, or worse.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:06 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

All flowers and sunshine with you, huh Tommy? I have higher expectations than that, but you may end up being right. We'll see.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]