Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:24 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
“He came in the same way I came in -- undrafted, having to prove himself,” Shelby said of Wake, who was undrafted out of Penn State, “and look at him now, a Pro Bowler, so why not take notes from that guy?”

The results of the “Cam Wake Off-Season Program” have been impressive. Shelby, with his quicker first step, is now contending for a job in the Dolphins’ Speed Package, the pass-rush grouping that features four speedy defensive ends whose sole purpose is making life miserable for quarterbacks.

The Speed Package consists of starting defensive ends Wake and Olivier Vernon alongside Shelby and Dion Jordan. Shelby owes much of his role to improved conditioning.

“I don’t want to say it was an issue (last season),” Shelby said, “but my burst has gotten better. Running extra with Cam definitely helps…He runs a little bit too much. In the weight room I can usually keep up.”

As it turns out, conditioning is a big part of Wake’s offseason workouts. Wake, the three-time Pro
Bowl selection known for his high motor and unrelenting pursuit of the quarterback, especially in the fourth quarter, demands more of himself, and that’s the way he trains.

“As a D-end, rushing against guys that weigh a hundred pounds more than you, it’s third-and-10 in the fourth quarter and everybody’s looking at you like you have to have more gas in the tank, you have to get to the quarterback or you have to chase that running back down,” Wake said.

“So I put a different standard on myself, I’m going to run with the DB’s (defensive backs), I don’t care if I’m 260 (pounds), I’m going to run with (cornerback) Brent Grimes and (wide receiver) Mike Wallace and whoever. I’m going to make their time.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 9071.story

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:56 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I really believe if you can completely dominate in one area your team will benefit more then a team that is "good" in all phases. Miami needs to play to the strength of their dline. No stunts or too many blitzes. Just let the dline dominate so the rest of the defemse can play freely. If four guys can dominate 5 up front it should be a win every play. Aside from the offense's eepoor play i thought miami ran too many stunts last year and that led to gaping holes that the dlinemen voided for big gains in the running game. Should be am easy fix but weve seen every coaching staff in miami history bang their head against a wall so who knows lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:29 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
Shelby, with his quicker first step, is now contending for a job in the Dolphins’ Speed Package, the pass-rush grouping that features four speedy defensive ends whose sole purpose is making life miserable for quarterbacks.

I like it! And I have to say that Shelby did impress me last year. I hope he and the rest of that speed package can make life miserable for the quarterback ... and running backs if they decide to run on 3rd and long.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:43 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
ESPN Dolphins reporter James Walker pegs RE Olivier Vernon as a player whose stock continues to rise.
Vernon led the Dolphins with his 11.5 sacks last season and returned to have a dominant spring. "He's real, real good," said new LT Branden Albert, who was beaten by Vernon for two sacks in a scrimmage last week. Vernon remains ahead of last year's No. 3 overall pick Dion Jordan for the starting job opposite LE Cameron Wake. The defensive line is the clear strength of the team in Miami.
Source: ESPN.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:49 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wake, like so many great players, is a work out maniac, if Shelby has taken the "Wake " way, all it can do is help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:41 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

This is the most exciting news I've heard this offseason. Not just Shelby continuing to make strides but the thought of him being fast alongside the other 3 horsemen . . Nasty.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:26 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Was Jordan working with these guys in the off-season? I can only assume we made the big play for him............not anticipating much from Vernon or Shelby. Which is a bit strange considering Vernon came out a year early, we drafted him in the 3rd round and I believe he played to expectations his rookie year. He's obviously someone we saw a great deal of upside.

Still not sure what role Jordan will play this year.............I have my doubts it will be worthy of the No. 3 overall pick. If it's any conciliation, most of the 2013 First Round Draft Class under-performed their rookie season.

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]