Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:22 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Miami Dolphins

Overrated: ILB Dannell Ellerbe --­­ They paid him a lot of money to sign as a free agent from Baltimore last season and he was a major disappointment. I thought he'd be much better than he was for the Dolphins. He needs a bounce­-back season.

Underrated: DE Jared Odrick ­­-- In a season of turmoil in Miami, he turned in his best season. The former first­-round pick has turned into a quality starter on their line.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pet ... am-by-team

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:43 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Evn though Elllerbe was not great last year I have a tough time labeling him overrated, because imo he had yet to have a rating, all he had ever been before Ireland threw him a bunch of money, was a back up, this was another of Irelands experiments that didn't pan out, at least so far, so how can a guy who just had his first starting season in the NFL have a rating to be over.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:13 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Didnt Ellerbe start the entire season with ravens before coming to miami?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:14 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Underated especially on this forum is charles clay. He was in top 100 and people scoffed at that. Hes a top 5 te in the league

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:13 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

well now that Gonzalez has retired the top 6 tight ends are:
1 Jimmy Graham
2 Gronk
3 Vernon Davis
4 Julius Thomas
5 Jordan Cameron
6 Jason Witten-even though he's gettin old
Could even throw Gates in here when healthy...also getting old

I like Clay alot but lets hold off on the top 5 talk for now.
He's in the 2nd tier with Pitta, Olsen, Fleener, Bennett and Jordan Reed

Then there are young soon to be breakout guys like Ebron, Ertz, Eifert and Ladarius Green who actually are more physically gifted than Clay that can overtake him this year.

I think of clay as more of an h-back who compares well to Chris Cooley. He's a nice chess piece but not a franchise tight end IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:15 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Manhattan wrote:
Didnt Ellerbe start the entire season with ravens before coming to miami?

He actually started 7 games as a Will linebacker, not the middle. I think the Ravens were hoping to moved him to MLB last year but they backed off of Ellerbe once the Dolphins gave him big time money in free agency.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:26 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Speaking of TE's and underrated, imo Heath Miller is one of the most underrated players in the NFL and is a top 3 TE, he's like an extra Olineman and he never drops passes and is very productive, last year he had an injury but he'll be back in top form this year as one of Ben's top targets.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:36 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finster wrote:
Speaking of TE's and underrated, imo Heath Miller is one of the most underrated players in the NFL and is a top 3 TE, he's like an extra Olineman and he never drops passes and is very productive, last year he had an injury but he'll be back in top form this year as one of Ben's top targets.

I've loved Heath Miller's game for the past 8 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:13 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Finster wrote:

Yes I forgot Heath because he was out last year. Another aging injured tight end but the total package during his career.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:11 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Until gronk plays another game hes not on the list. He was injury prone in college and notjing has changed.
Jordan cameron is better than clay? How do you figure? I dont remember ever seeing him break three tackles spin juke another and score a td. In the snow.
Like I said hes underrated here. And julius thomas could very well be a product of the system in demver. Put clay in that offense. Obviously its opinion but i dont think you can just throw those guys in the top 5 and say they are clearly top 5 when the only guys who are clearly the head of the class are graham and davis.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:39 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Manhattan wrote:
Until gronk plays another game hes not on the list. He was injury prone in college and notjing has changed.
Jordan cameron is better than clay? How do you figure? I dont remember ever seeing him break three tackles spin juke another and score a td. In the snow.
Like I said hes underrated here. And julius thomas could very well be a product of the system in demver. Put clay in that offense. Obviously its opinion but i dont think you can just throw those guys in the top 5 and say they are clearly top 5 when the only guys who are clearly the head of the class are graham and davis.

:haha This post is so funny and homerish I can't even take it serious. So one play by Clay makes him better than Cameron? He beat Clay in every statistical category while playing with a revolving door of awful quarterbacks. And Gronk doesnt count? LOL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:30 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

One play? Not only did he do it twice in the snow, but he did it multiple times throughout the season. Rob gronkowski has played in 17 games in the last three years. It's not even a given he'll be back ever so no not until he plays again should he be listed as the best tight end in the league. Otherwise you might as well put jermichael finlay in the top 5 too

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:34 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

1 Graham
2 Davis
3 Witten
4 Antonio Gates
5 Charles Clay
Clay is better than Cameron because cameron isn't a running threat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:35 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:
Finster wrote:

Yes I forgot Heath because he was out last year. Another aging injured tight end but the total package during his career.

Gronkowski has played a total of 18 games the last two years...That's a joke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:01 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Yes, Gronkowski has injury problems, we all know that. But when healthy he is the most complete tight end in the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:03 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I'd say the most underrated Dolphin is always Cameron Wake. He always ends up like 85th on that stupid NFL network countdown when he belongs in the top 20 or 30.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:09 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

'but when healthy' he hasn't been for two years that's the point

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:14 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Manhattan wrote:
'but when healthy' he hasn't been for two years that's the point

Idk about you i would take him playing half the season over clay. In his 6 1/2 games compared to clays 16 he played this year. He only produced 2 less tds than clay and 150 yards less receiving than clay. Add to the fact that gronk is the best blocking TE in the NFL. He is elite and in my book the best TE in the NFL but since he is injury prone ill give that to Graham.

1. Graham
2. Gronk
3. Cameron
4. Davis
5. Witten
6. Rudolplh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:00 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

But your not getting him for 6 games. he may never play again. he hasn't played for over a year, and even that year he only played half of it. But i guess my sentiment remains true. Hes not rated very highly among people, but hes a gamebreaker.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:46 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

where are you getting your information? He's suppose to be ready week 1 vs. Miami.
Look I hate New England as much as anyone but Gronk's a stud. You're being a bit homerish with Clay.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:05 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Here's a question. Gronk or Clay? I don't want to hear if Gronk is healthy, I'd take Gronk. I want to hear right now today. Would you take injury prone Gronk or an up and coming playmaking TE in Clay? I'd take Clay. Gronk is too injury prone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:22 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Don't know how you can consider Odrick Underrated...

Every broadcast spot lighted him at one point in the game.
Every coach spoke praise of him last season.
The most memorable interviews out of the locker room were from him (with his ridiculous hair cuts)
I think every one and their mother knows that Odrick is a quality starter...

Not sure how that can be considered underrated...

Most Underrated:
Misi- always quiet from his spot on the D. And he is great in Run support. Not necessarily a great player.... but has been a stable starter for some time, follows through his assignments, and is way under the radar.

Grimes- Still never getting the respect. Easily a top 5 CB last year, and he isnt even in the conversation. Its all Peterson, Revis, Sherman, etc...... Even Cromartie gets more attention than Grimes in the media (and yes, Cromartie creates his own drama, but still)

Shelby- Theres a huge shadow he lives in, behind Wake, behind Mr #3 overall, and behind Vernon, to most outside the team he is an afterthought. Time to wake up, Miami has one of the best DE rotations in the NFL.

Hartline- Sorry, back-to-back 1000 yard seasons..... and only the 9th Dolphin to even reach that mark. Hypothetically speaking, that easily puts Hartline into the Convo about top 10 WRs on Dolphins all time list..... and for a team with a long fabled history.... Hartline doesnt get any love.... I know we've had the discussion over and over again.... but in terms of underrated, especially in light of the clipped article, Hartline should garner more respect amongst the journalists....

Fields- Easily a top 5 punter.... Yes, kickers get no love, but still..... NO ONE every mentions his name.... but you hear enough nonsense about the Pats punter on the circuits.... whats his name? Mesko?

I would say those players deserve mention in the underrated category...

As far as Overrated....

Jones- understanding that his role changed alot last year, and the production faded.... But how can you go from being one of the top young safeties in the NFL to an after thought in one season after getting a big contract... Not knocking him, but I never saw elite player from him.... I saw good. The Hype outweighed the expectation there.

Clay- Sorry. He's a good H-Back. Had a great year.... but at some point in the season, he became one of the ONLY options. T-Hill could not get the ball to Wallace to save his life. Hartline was double covered most of the season. And everyone else started getting hurt. Clay stepped up and did his part but if it werent for the Keller injury, the Gibson injury, the lack of a running game, and the lack of Chemistry with Wallace.... Clay would have been a 22 reception, 285 yards type of player that we would be swooning for some one else right now.

Pouncey- Allegedly a top 2 Center in the NFL.... but coming off one of the worst offensive line units in the Nfl, if not the worst. Overrated coming out of college, Absolute childish moron, I do not think i have to elaborate there... And at the end of the day, What has he really done? Is he talented? Yes... is he tough, sure, why not.... but ummmm.... not sure how you can get a pass based on talent after the embarrassment of last season in that group.

Daniel Thomas- Even where he is rated, its too high... DT is like the high school senior that is dating the coach's daughter. He gets playing time based on an insider's privelege. You know the team is better when he has his helmet off, under the bench, and his jersey doesnt even have a skid mark.... DT should have been sent back to the practice squad if possible, rather than wasting snaps that this O desperately needed. Even to call him a serviceable backup is a stretch in my mind, hence OVERRATED.

Matt Moore- Heard a couple of comments about Miami having the best Back up QB in the league... I find that ridiculously hard to believe. If Miami did, there were definitely situations where Moore could have been inserted to pick up the garbage. Fact is, he never did. His status as a well paid back up QB in this league is based on what? a stretch of 7 games where he played admirably on a below average team in clean up duty? No seriously, he was team mvp a few years ago. I get it.... i give that award out of default, the rest of the team sucked...... he got that honor based on no one else worthy of getting an award, not because he actually was valuable. Sure he's kept quiet, and been a good teammate, and a good little soldier. But he is 100% expendable..... and yet, there is a camp of people that could actually think that he would be a better option as a starter right now..... Do we need to bring back clips from his carolina days.... enough said

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:34 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Here's a question. Gronk or Clay? I don't want to hear if Gronk is healthy, I'd take Gronk. I want to hear right now today. Would you take injury prone Gronk or an up and coming playmaking TE in Clay? I'd take Clay. Gronk is too injury prone.

Good question Mak, a whole TE for half a season or a half TE for a whole season...

:haha

Food for thought.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:17 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Clay has had one good year and has never cracked 800 yards or 6 TD's. Let me see him have a 1,000 season or 10 TDs before we crown him. Give me Gronk or Graham.

Gronk only played 11 games in 2012 and outproduced Clay's 2013 full season with 790 yards and 11 TDs.
Gronk has 3 seasons of double digit touchdowns.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:12 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Clay has had one good year and has never cracked 800 yards or 6 TD's.

He caught 6 TDs last season...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:52 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Clay has had one good year and has never cracked 800 yards or 6 TD's.

He caught 6 TDs last season...

I said cracked 6, which means 7 or more.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:17 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Makchell wrote:

I would take gronk he's the whole package he can catch and block . I like clay hes a good player and like you said up and coming but at the same time I think last years stat line is close to his ceiling. I feel like he'll never be that dominant TE who can block great which once again Gronk can. Which is one of the main things i like in a TE. Overall I think clay would be a perfect player to use in a role like the patriots used Hernandez with a true TE being our number 1 TE.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:38 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

better player.... Gronk... not Clay

who would I rather have? Clay.

Call me crazy all you want. Honestly, I like Clay's speed.... he has the ability to catch and run, as evidence with those 2 longer catches this season...

Gronk doesnt have that ability. Does he seperate? absolutely. Is he freakishly tall and strong, absolutely..... But Gronk is more of a catch and truck.... He'll fall forward but hes gonna get contact.

With the way this NFL is headed with low hits, and Gronk's size in general, and the fact that he almost always is in contact during receptions.... its just too vulnerable. To have all that money locked up into a TE.... that are fragile..... And they are. VERY FRAGILE.... too much athletic talent packaged up in too big (and heavy) of a body, will result in legs landing the wrong directions, arms falling in the wrong positions, and other just straight up injuries.....

Look at Keller's injury that put him out for a season.... That same hit on some one 40 lbs lighter than him probably wouldnt have been AS serious.

I personally would rather a player like Clay, that can cause breakaway seperation, and is more compact. I think we can say that Clay is a home run threat on every passing play.... I dont know if you can say that about Gronk outside of the 20 yard line. And with that said I would rather Charles...

Now, who is a better player? Gronk by a mile and a half. No question about it..... But if Clay can improve in what he does well..... I would rather him in a second... (think 4th year franchise Madden mode Clay LOL)

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]