All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:10 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I feel much better about the position now that we are going to bring in 4 to compete for a spot on Monday.

Quote:
Dolphins summon former Dolphins center Samson Satele for audition

The Dolphins' search for a roster replacement for injured Mike Pouncey will extend beyond guard Daryn Colledge.

A source said tonight that the Dolphins also have booked center Samson Satele for a workout on Monday.

Colledge and Satele are expected to be joined by two other linemen at Monday's workout. The identity of the other two was not immediately known.

Satele, drafted 60th overall by Miami in 2007, started his first two NFL seasons for the Dolphins before being traded to Oakland in March 2009 for a sixth-rounder and an exchange of fourth-round picks.

The Dolphins parted ways with Satele after signing free agent center Jake Grove, a regrettable move in retrospect.

Satele, 29, then started three seasons for the Raiders, before moving on to Indianapolis, where he started 11 games in 2012 and 13 in 2013.

Pro Football Focus rated Satele 31st among 35 qualifying centers last season ---- 18th as a pass blocker but last as a run blocker. He allowed one sack.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:02 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Pro Football Focus rated Satele 31st among 35 qualifying centers last season

That's not bad, 2nd to last center in the NFL.....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:14 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Where did he rank the year before?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:56 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Not sure.... But wasnt part of the problem with Satale that he was a "Slow" snapper?

I think i remember hearing that when he snapped the ball there was a long delay and it was screwing up Beck/Lemon's footwork having to wait for the ball to get to their hands.

I think I also heard something about Luck not liking to take snaps from under center with Satale. That he was a great shotgun snapper, but his Pro set snaps drag.

I dont think I remember anything out of his Oakland days though..

Just figured i'd throw it out there..... No sources to back it up... I just remember a few mentions on the broadcasts and a Dungy/Luck interview as the only credible evidence on the matter....

Is it possible to be a "slow" snapper? Im not even sure that makes sense

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:48 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't agree with the PFF ranking on Satele, he's better than 31st, he isn't a good C but he is adequate, imo he's always been an underrated C, he does have his struggles against the top flight DT/NTs, but so does everybody, he does end up scrambling at times but he quietly doesn't give up many sacks, even if he is getting bull rushed and is scrambling a bit, he has an ability to stay in front of the guy, giving the QB every second he can.

I'm not saying he's good, all I'm saying is you could do worse, imo he's avg, he doesn't always "look" avg because he does end up scrambling a lot but he is a good scrambler and he does end up doing an adequate job imo, it just looks awkward at times.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:06 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It seems that offensive linemen that excel in run blocking are incredibly hard to find nowadays...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:14 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
It seems that offensive linemen that excel in run blocking are incredibly hard to find nowadays...

Which is strange since we are always hearing that offensive linemen like to run block more than pass block. Jimmy Johnson sacrificed pass blocking for run blocking and got neither.

Nothing like shooting for the best available here ...

:headscratch

Quote:
### According to a league source, add veteran center Steve Vallos to the list of players who have been summoned to Dolphins headquarters for a Monday audition.

Vallos joins Samson Satele and Daryn Colledge (see below) as players scheduled to work out for the team on Monday.

Miami is searching for a veteran who can help compensate for the loss of center Mike Pouncey, who is expected to miss between two and six regular season games after hip surgery.

Vallos, 30, has played in 59 games over seven seasons, with nine starts. He played two years in Seattle, two in Cleveland, and for Philadelphia, Jacksonville and Denver the past three seasons.

He appeared in 15 regular season games for Denver last season, according to NFL.com, but logged only nine offensive snaps, according to ProFootballFocus.com. But he was forced into action during the Super Bowl because of an injury to Denver's center.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:50 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Finster wrote:
I don't agree with the PFF ranking on Satele, he's better than 31st, he isn't a good C but he is adequate, imo he's always been an underrated C, he does have his struggles against the top flight DT/NTs, but so does everybody, he does end up scrambling at times but he quietly doesn't give up many sacks, even if he is getting bull rushed and is scrambling a bit, he has an ability to stay in front of the guy, giving the QB every second he can.

You're focusing on pass protection and yes he is an adequate pass protector. The reason he is rated so low is because he is an atrocious run blocker. You also have to take into account the number of snaps that accumulate his grade. He had 839 snaps, most of the other starting centers had 1000 or more.

If you sort the rankings by pass blocking, Satele is ranked 19th.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]