Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:10 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
By Omar Kelly Sun Sentinel

8:11 a.m. EDT, July 3, 2014

I've become convinced Miami Dolphins fans have battered wife syndrome when it comes to quarterback talk.

Anytime anyone objectively discusses a Dolphins quarterback since Dan Marino South Florida fans become ultra sensitive. Their panties get in a bunch because they feel like their franchise's SUPPOSED savior is under attack. ...

Nevermind Tannehill was actually statistically rated the NFL's 24th best quarterback last season based on his production in year two as an NFL starter.

Ignore what he's done because Dolphins fans will excuse last year's performance (60.4 completion percentage, 24 touchdowns and 17 interceptions) on the O-line, the lack of a running game, his weaponry, poor coaching, the defense, or how the moon was aligned with the stars on Sundays.

It is never ever the quarterbacks fault he threw half a dozen interceptions in the season finale against the New York Jets, preventing the Dolphins from reaching the playoffs for the first time since 2008. ...

Nobody is saying Tannehill can't, or won't do better in year three as an NFL starter, or in year one of a new spread offense being installed by Bill Lazor.

He can, and I'm optimistic this will be his best season as an NFL starter. But how far up the list can he go? ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... l+Blogs%29

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:31 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It's absolutely mind boggling how this dope still has a job....STILL...seriously, WTF was the PBP thinking?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:50 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
It's absolutely mind boggling how this dope still has a job....STILL...seriously, WTF was the PBP thinking?

Omar can be condescending and narcissistic, but he's well connected and occassionally hits the nail on the head. I actually don't see anything wrong with this article. RT has shown good potential, but needs to prove himself worthy of the "franchise QB" lable this year. He hasn't done it yet. That's all he's saying.

The fat jerk Bill Parcells said "you are what your record says you are." In this case, RT is what his rating says he is. Look at any rating system and you'll see he's not a top 10 QB yet. If he is after this year, the doubters will go away (not far away though) and he will earn his spot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:59 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Tannehill may not be a top 16 quarterback yet, but he's about as good as Andrew Luck so far... so he's not doing too bad 2 years into his career by keeping pace with the top pick in that draft who was suppose to be some 'generational quarterback'.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:02 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
Omar can be condescending and narcissistic, but he's well connected and occassionally hits the nail on the head. I actually don't see anything wrong with this article. RT has shown good potential, but needs to prove himself worthy of the "franchise QB" lable this year. He hasn't done it yet. That's all he's saying.

The fat jerk Bill Parcells said "you are what your record says you are." In this case, RT is what his rating says he is. Look at any rating system and you'll see he's not a top 10 QB yet. If he is after this year, the doubters will go away (not far away though) and he will earn his spot.

I have no issue with what he said about RT, he is right, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to point out the painfully obvious like he does. My issue with him is his constant bashing of the fan base because he is the one with his "panties in a bunch" after all the reality checks he probably reads on message boards just like this. As you said, he is a narcissist, do you honestly think he has never read these boards? Lol. What a clown.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:09 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

For a little perspective:
-Last year Tannehilll passed for more yards than Luck, Griffin and Wilson.
-From the 2012 class only Wilson has thrown more touchdowns than Tannehill.
-he completed a league high 67% of his passes inside the 10 yard line.
-All while being sacked a league high 58 times.
-He even outdueled Luck last year when they met.

When you consider just how awful his coordinater and line were, and the fact that we had zero run game supporting him, his numbers are actually amazing. It's almost like Philbin was trying to make him fail and he still moved the ball.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:12 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I don't know that much about Omar but it is probably not message boards but his twitter account that he is reacting too when he talks about fans.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:16 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
I don't know that much about Omar but it is probably not message boards but his twitter account that he is reacting too when he talks about fans.

I realize that...I was just saying that I guarantee you he reads both, because he can't get enough of himself.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:41 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Imo Tannehill is not about as good as Luck. I think in turnovers INT AND FUM, 3rd downs and 4th quarters, and in scrambling there is a significant difference.

I think Luck is better in the intangible quality of leadership.

I hope Tannehill catches and surpasses Luck and all other qb's in all positive categories this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:00 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

AQNOR wrote:
Imo Tannehill is not about as good as Luck. I think in turnovers INT AND FUM, 3rd downs and 4th quarters, and in scrambling there is a significant difference.

I think Luck is better in the intangible quality of leadership.

I hope Tannehill catches and surpasses Luck and all other qb's in all positive categories this year.

turnover wise it's a wash. In passing production Tannehill has been better and more accurate. Luck is the better runner. I'm only guessing that Luck is better on 3rd down.

So far Luck has been a bit overrated because of his college hype. Lots of football writers have written about this. So far I think Wilson is the superior quarterback of the 2012 class. And if Foles repeats what he did last year I'd consider him up there too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:12 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Last year Tannehill had 17 ints and 3 fum. Luck had 9 ints and 1 fum. 20 vs 10 is significant to my thinking. Last year Tannehill had an 60.4 % accuracy vs 60.2% for Luck.

In quantity of yards thrown and accuracy there is a similar comparison, in quality of play at the position of QB, just my opinion, I think Luck is showing a significant edge, so far.

Imo Luck is making improvements to his play that is distancing himself from Tannehill.

I hope Tannehill catches up and passes him this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:46 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

AQNOR wrote:
Last year Tannehill had 17 ints and 3 fum. Luck had 9 ints and 1 fum. 20 vs 10 is significant to my thinking. Last year Tannehill had an 60.4 % accuracy vs 60.2% for Luck.

In quantity of yards thrown and accuracy there is a similar comparison, in quality of play at the position of QB, just my opinion, I think Luck is showing a significant edge, so far.

Imo Luck is making improvements to his play that is distancing himself from Tannehill.

Luck had 5 fumbles last year, not 1. And we're talking about their careers so far, not 1 year. Tannehill has a few more interceptions but Luck has a few more fumbles. It's a wash. They are both still middle of the pack quarterbacks thus far IMO. Luck slightly better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:08 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

He threw half a dozen picks? I think this guy is confused

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:21 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Luck had 5 fumbles last year, not 1. And we're talking about their careers so far, not 1 year. Tannehill has a few more interceptions but Luck has a few more fumbles. It's a wash. They are both still middle of the pack quarterbacks thus far IMO. Luck slightly better.

Thanks for the correction on the fumbles. I was looking at the wrong line for both players. So last year Luck had 9 - INT/ 6 - FUM (15) and Tannehill had 17 - INT/ 9 - FUM (26). Still a significant difference imo. http://www.nfl.com/player/ryantannehill/2532956/profile

http://www.nfl.com/player/andrewluck/2533031/profile

I was not talking about the whole 2 yr career so far but the improvement that I think Luck has made that Tannehill has not yet made. imo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:05 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

When all is said & done , Tannehill will be the stud from that QB class.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:34 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:
Tannehill may not be a top 16 quarterback yet, but he's about as good as Andrew Luck so far... so he's not doing too bad 2 years into his career by keeping pace with the top pick in that draft who was suppose to be some 'generational quarterback'.
Miami is in the playoffs both years if Luck is their Qb ( Thanks for those meaningless wins in 2011 ). Statistically that may be similar, but Luck has the "It" factor a Qb needs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:35 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

FINesse wrote:
When all is said & done , Tannehill will be the stud from that QB class.

That would be sweet. I think at worst he will be the 2nd best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:45 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Dphins4me wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Miami is in the playoffs both years if Luck is their Qb ( Thanks for those meaningless wins in 2011 ). Statistically that may be similar, but Luck has the "It" factor a Qb needs.

Could not have said it better. Luck strives in those crunch time moments. Thats what tannehill needs more of.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:53 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

He works for the Sun Sentinel.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:27 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Tannehill may not be a top 16 quarterback yet, but he's about as good as Andrew Luck so far...

Stats wise perhaps Swerve, but at this point and hands down, I would take Andrew Luck's poise and leadership and QB's smarts over Tannehill. In my opinion, these two are not on the same page....yet I hope as I do want Tannehill to improve, but Luck has that QB field awareness built into his QB genes where Tannehill at this point does not.

Again, just my opinion, but these two are still pretty far apart.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:35 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Year 3 is huge.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:06 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Not sure why we are bothering with this comparison. Luck is from an NFL bloodline and has been groomed to be a top QB since childhood. Tannehill is a good football player who didn't start playing QB in college until his junior year. One had the best coaching, the other...eh.

You should expect Luck to be superior and Tannehill to be a developmental guy who may end up being a good starter.

And if we're really being honest here than we need to admit that Luck isn't captain clutch in every game and Tannehill isn't the dog some make him out to be. We've seen Luck wilt under pressure and Tannehill make some clutch 4th quareter throws. Its not a black and white issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:49 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

swerve13 wrote:
For a little perspective:
-Last year Tannehilll passed for more yards than Luck, Griffin and Wilson.
-From the 2012 class only Wilson has thrown more touchdowns than Tannehill.
-he completed a league high 67% of his passes inside the 10 yard line.
-All while being sacked a league high 58 times.
-He even outdueled Luck last year when they met.

When you consider just how awful his coordinater and line were, and the fact that we had zero run game supporting him, his numbers are actually amazing. It's almost like Philbin was trying to make him fail and he still moved the ball.

Thanks for the perspective, Swerve. I think Tannehill will be an outstanding quarterback back for us, but the offensive line has not been a decent unit his whole career with us. I see great potential, but if this is the year that he is supposed to show what he has then I think fans could be disappointed again. He has 5 new linemen in front of him now. Having Albert protecting his blindside is going to be a huge plus, but losing our anchor and leader in the middle is devastating. I have always felt the center sets the tone.

Quarterbacks are evaluated by wins, playoffs, and Super Bowl rings. Luck has led his team to two 11-5 seasons and two playoff appearances. Tannehill has had a much harder time as the Dolphins did not have the personnel and coaching (Sherman) that has helped Luck or Wilson. Also, let's face it ... he choked the last two games of the season. Those will lower analysts evaluations of him despite that he has the stats. The NFL needs to see that he see that he is a leader that will push his team to the next level as Luck and Wilson have shown to be able to do. Then again I remember a quote that said .....

Shula was smart enough to invest in offensive linemen when he had Dan Marino. JJ started the downward spiral on our OL.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:39 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

jammer wrote:
Not sure why we are bothering with this comparison. Luck is from an NFL bloodline and has been groomed to be a top QB since childhood. Tannehill is a good football player who didn't start playing QB in college until his junior year. One had the best coaching, the other...eh.

You should expect Luck to be superior and Tannehill to be a developmental guy who may end up being a good starter.

And if we're really being honest here than we need to admit that Luck isn't captain clutch in every game and Tannehill isn't the dog some make him out to be. We've seen Luck wilt under pressure and Tannehill make some clutch 4th quareter throws. Its not a black and white issue.

That was my point, regardless of what these guys here think about Luck, he's not that much better than Tannehill. It's years worth of media hype about Luck pumped into their brains. As of yet, Luck is just a muscled up version of Jake Plummer. People applaud him when he has a glorious comeback win, yet they totally disregard the fact that he is the one who put his team so far behind in the first place with his poor decisions, fumbles and hero throws. So far he is nowhere near elite....and neither is tannehill. Anything can happen in the next 3 years. Jury is still out.

Last edited by swerve13 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:43 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Dave, I know Luck got the Colts to win his division, but its a lousy division with no Patriots in the way like what Tannehill has to deal with.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:33 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
He works for the Sun Sentinel.

...Lol I knew that, just typed the post faster than I thought it out.

:hithead:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:50 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees are top tier
Roethlisberger, Cutler, Rivers, Eli Manning and Romo second tier
Luck, Dalton, Tannehill, Wilson, Smith, Kaepernick, Flacco, Ryan, Foles third tier
Everyone else is interchangable. I dont think Newton and RG3 are that good and will probably be phased out within 3 years. RG3 more than Newton

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:01 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:

That was my point, regardless of what these guys here think about Luck, he's not that much better than Tannehill. It's years worth of media hype about Luck pumped into their brains. As of yet, Luck is just a muscled up version of Jake Plummer. People applaud him when he has a glorious comeback win, yet they totally disregard the fact that he is the one who put his team so far behind in the first place with his poor decisions, fumbles and hero throws. So far he is nowhere near elite....and neither is tannehill. Anything can happen in the next 3 years. Jury is still out.

Not sure why you are calling out Luck for turnovers when Tannehill turned the ball over significantly more in their most recent football year.

I think Luck has clearly improved over Tannehill. That I think so has nothing to do with media hype. I ascribe it to clear headed thinking. : ) I disagree with your evaluation of Luck.

I hope and expect that Tannehill will improve this year. imo if he plays as good as Luck did last year then Miami will make the playoffs.

Last edited by AQNOR on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:09 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:

I am curious who are the ones that need to be honest, who is the we, is it a reference to an opinion you used to hold or something else?

Is it anyone on this thread that is making Luck out to be captain clutch and Tannehill a dog?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:08 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

AQNOR wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Not sure why you are calling out Luck for turnovers when Tannehill turned the ball over significantly more in their most recent football year.

I think Luck has clearly improved over Tannehill. That I think so has nothing to do with media hype. I ascribe it to clear headed thinking. : ) I disagree with your evaluation of Luck.

I hope and expect that Tannehill will improve this year. imo if he plays as good as Luck did last year then Miami will make the playoffs.

Ya well Luck wasnt under seige every time he yelled hike either, and didnt have the Go-Go offense handicaping him too. I've read so many football sites and Magazines recently say how overrated Luck is, and that he has bottom 10 passing numbers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:10 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

AQNOR wrote:
jammer wrote:

I am curious who are the ones that need to be honest, who is the we, is it a reference to an opinion you used to hold or something else?

Is it anyone on this thread that is making Luck out to be captain clutch and Tannehill a dog?

a bunch of people right in this thread saying Luck would have us in the playoffs both years, I'm not so sure of that, with our line and lousy coaching.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:42 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Andrew Luck as Dave said has led his team to two 11-5 seasons and the playoffs. AND in his first two years as an NFL QB. Safe to say Luck can get even better too.

Let's HOPE Tannehill gets us to that place in his third year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:46 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:

People applaud him when he has a glorious comeback win, yet they totally disregard the fact that he is the one who put his team so far behind in the first place with his poor decisions, fumbles and hero throws. So far he is nowhere near elite....
Brett Farve will go into the HOF doing just that. The end result is does he win the game?

Last edited by Dphins4me on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:39 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

a bunch of people right in this thread saying Luck would have us in the playoffs both years, I'm not so sure of that, with our line and lousy coaching.

I don't think that the team Luck has been on has been stellar or overly loaded with talent although it may have been slightly better than the Phins overall but I could be wrong about that and am mostly depending on others not my own observations.

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-co ... ndrew-luck

I understand we have a difference of opinion between the current skill levels between two NFL QB's. I don't agree with you but I certainly respect your different opinion.

I think we also differ in understanding of posts too. Saying that a qb who you think is better than another qb could have a team in the playoffs makes one captain clutch and another a dog seems a stretch to me.

Any way thanks for the good discussion and GO PHINS! Here's to a dominating season by Tannehill and company.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:55 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AQNOR wrote:
jammer wrote:

The royal we man. (Lebowski reference).

No one in particular, just all of us in general. Its a figure of speech. I think Luck is a better QB, was expected to be better, and should be held to a higher standard. I think he also has a better team and better coaching, at least on offense. He had Harbaugh grooming him in college.

Yeah, I guess the reference of Luck having Miami in the playoffs is probably what triggered my post. And myself and others here have said Tannehill on the 49ers with a guy like Harbaugh grooming with + elite running game would be a successful QB. I'm not sure Luck has Miami in the playoffs both years. MAYBE last year if he hits on a few deep passes that Tannehill missed. But don't forget, a bunch of Tannehill picks were last second heaves. Luck has been sloppier with his decision making.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:10 pm 

AQNOR wrote:
I don't think that the team Luck has been on has been stellar or overly loaded with talent although it may have been slightly better than the Phins overall but I could be wrong about that and am mostly depending on others not my own observations.

Indy has better offensive pieces, we have better defensive pieces. So maybe talent is a wash.

It comes down to division.

The Colts are in a division with Jacksonville and Houston, two doormats, and Tennessee, a perennial .500 team being their stiffest competition.

The other teams in the Colts division went a combined 13-35.

Meanwhile, we share a division with the Patriots and the other teams in our division went 26-22.

So some may argue if you switch the QBs, we go to the playoffs. I say if you switch the divisions, we go to the playoffs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:41 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I agree with that Rich

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]