Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:53 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
June 21, 2014 10:45 am ET
Pat Kirwan
NFL Insider

... The question of which teams have the deepest rosters at this point in the year is an important one and I look at certain criteria to answer the question. ...

After looking at all 32 teams, I felt 16 of the 32 teams had a decent enough answer at the backup QB question to move on to the other 11 categories. Keep in mind that rarely does any team have a great answer to all of these questions but after the QB here are the rest of the questions to be answered. Be careful not to just fill in names but ask yourself just how good the player is for each category.

1. ...

So, as I combed through all the rosters looking for the teams with the best depth, which doesn't necessarily mean they are the best teams on paper if all the teams stay healthy (but we all know that is unlikely) I arrived at the top two teams and five honorable mention teams.

The honorable mention teams are the Redskins, Buccaneers, Dolphins and a tossup between the Eagles and 49ers. I like Kirk Cousins (Washington), Mike Glennon (Tampa Bay) Matt Moore (Miami) and Mark Sanchez (Philadelphia) and not so sure about Blaine Gabbert, but at least he has 28 starts and the rest of the 49ers' depth is pretty good. As for Washington, Tampa Bay, Miami and Philly, they don't satisfy all the categories but they did better than most teams hitting on at least nine of the 13.

The top two teams when it comes to depth are the Bengals and Seahawks almost in a dead heat. ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat ... tle-has-it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:19 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

And something the Dolphins haven't invested in, in a long time

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:50 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

If you accept the author's opinion that the Phins have somewhere around the 5th best depth of NFL teams, at least when he wrote the article, then I would think it happened over a longer than shorter period of time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:06 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

If Hartline and gibson are healthy then Miamis depth is good at
QB, WR, TE and DL
Outside of that an injury at LT, LB, CB or S could spell disaster for Miami

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:08 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Manhattan wrote:
If Hartline and gibson are healthy then Miamis depth is good at
QB, WR, TE and DL
Outside of that an injury at LT, LB, CB or S could spell disaster for Miami

I disagree on several areas. 1st, I don't believe TE to be a position of depth for us. It's Clay (who isn't even really a traditional TE) and then a whole bunch of unproven guys. There is no proven quality depth there. Egnew? Sims? Rookies? Sorry, that's not quality depth.

2nd, I think we are pretty set at RB. Not great, but solid tandem with Miller and Moreno.

Depth on the O-line, CB and S are concerns. I'm not so much concerned about our depth at LB as I am our starters.

Considering we are counting on our D to carry the load this year, there sure are a lot of question marks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:19 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Why does clay need to be a tradiotnal te to be good depth? And of course lb depth is a concern if you dont even care for the starters. That is a weak unit.
And Dion sims is a fine compliment for clay. Egnew isnt great but hes a third string that has seen nfl snaps. Not many teams can boast that
How are we set at rb? Miller hasnt done much. He has excuses sure but id take half the league's starters over him and even some backups. Thomas is thomas, no good. And moreno is hurt and fat
Some of the worst depth at the position since samkon gado was taking a beating

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:59 pm 

Manhattan wrote:
Why does clay need to be a tradiotnal te to be good depth?

He doesn't. It was a side thought... but Clay does not constitute depth by himself, and Sims and Egnew haven't shown anything to make me feel confident that our depth is good there.

If your point about a 3rd stringer seeing significant playing time is a good thing, than our RB situation is a lot better than our TE situation. That said, I did say it wasn't great; just we've got three guys who have seen a lot of snaps. I personally still have hope that Miller is going to step up this year because of his fit for the system, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:30 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

We drafted for depth in '13, no starters, all backups.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:37 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
We drafted for depth in '13, no starters, all backups.

:haha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:40 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Depth is critical for championships, but just as critical is starter quality, you can have the deepest team in the league and still not be that good if your starters are just a little better than your depth.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]