All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:15 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I seriously doubt that he is at serious risk. He'll make the 5th spot at worst.

Quote:
Matthews has struggled during the early part of camp, and is no higher than the No. 5 receiver. He's competing with Armon Binns, Damian Williams and converted RB Marcus Thigpen for one or two spots. Miami has privately questioned Matthews' focus in the past, and he recently admitted to being late to team meetings. Releasing Matthews would create $556,597 in 2014 cap space.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/766 ... d-matthews

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:30 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I've never heard of Damian Williams before this camp. Binns & Thigpen have had ample opportunities imo. If Matthews cant prove hes more valuable then those guys then he deserves to be cut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:32 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Anything on Matt Hazel?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:35 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Thigpen does have some value on ST.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:55 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Steve Zissou wrote:
I've never heard of Damian Williams before this camp.

Stud collegiate at Southern Cal 3rd Rd. pick of the Titans. Not much in the NFL. Should be able to return kicks at the worst.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:58 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dphins4me wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:

Stud collegiate at Southern Cal 3rd Rd. pick of the Titans. Not much in the NFL. Should be able to return kicks at the worst.

Thanks man but i think you see my point when you look at the Titans WRs the past few years. I hope he is useful on ST because I'm sick of watching Thigpen not figure it out

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:59 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Matthews was one of the stars of practice today...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:05 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Finster wrote:

He usually is a solid preseason player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:40 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

swerve13 wrote:
Anything on Matt Hazel?

Doesn't sound like he's getting much time outside of the 3rd team. But I've heard a few guys say he looks good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:43 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Steve Zissou wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:

Thanks man but i think you see my point when you look at the Titans WRs the past few years. I hope he is useful on ST because I'm sick of watching Thigpen not figure it out

Thigpen had a big year in 2012..It's not like he has been sucking for a long time. Lets see if he dedicated himself this offseason.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:00 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

If I remember correctly Thigpen also has played the RB position too. It could be that position flexibility might help him some.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:35 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

At this point we owe nothing to Thigpen or Matthews. If Hazel, Binns or Williams looks more promising, just go with them, we have a strong top 4 already.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:20 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Binns was pretty impressive before he got hurt last year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:29 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think Thigpen is the one who's roster spot is in serious jeopardy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:08 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Zissou wrote:
Finster wrote:

He usually is a solid preseason player

He was pretty solid when given the opportunities late last season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:10 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Gibson, playing on a left knee that was surgically-repaired seven months ago, had a visible limp and then stopped about halfway through practice and went into the training facility.

He emerged about a minute later, practiced briefly, but then stopped practicing altogether soon afterward.

When practice ended Gibson was wearing shorts and a T-shirt with an ice pack on his left knee. Rishard Matthews replaced him as the first team slot receiver.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:05 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The arrival of Landry puts Matthews in a position to battle for the 5th or 6th spot, where ST contribution will be a factor. He's a proven backup with the versatility to play slot or wide. I tend to think he'll be on the roster.

I'm watching Gibson this preseason...........if he returns to last year's form.........then the battle is between Hartline & Landry for the outside WR position. Not saying it's going to happen, but if Landry beats out Hartline, the Phin's have incredibly over paid for a No. 4 receiver (Hartline).

Hartline's Contract......
$12.5M guaranteed (signing bonus + 2013-14 base)

Year.......Year Base.......Signing Bonus.........Cap Hit
2018......UFA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:43 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

shularino wrote:
then the battle is between Hartline & Landry for the outside WR position.

I highly doubt that is going to be the case... it doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:00 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:

Yep no disrespect, but this logic doesn't add up to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Would they dare cut Gibson? with his big contract and balky knee.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:27 pm 

swerve13 wrote:
Would they dare cut Gibson? with his big contract and balky knee.

Gibson doesn't have a big contract.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:38 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

And 6 mil. for a rec. With back to back 1000yd seasons is not crazy money..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
And 6 mil. for a rec. With back to back 1000yd seasons is not crazy money..

I wouldn't say crazy, but he's making a lot more than he's worth imo, he just barely cracked 1000 as the primary WR on a pass happy team, he gives next to nothing in YAC, has only 10 TD's for his entire 5 year career and has a low catch %, imo he's very replaceable and is worth around 4 mil.

You could say that 2 mil is not a big deal but 2 mil here, 2 mil there, 4 mil over here, and it adds up, the better organizations don't overpay for players so they can get the most out of their money.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:13 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I wish we would have taken a speed receiver like jonathan brown after we took landry. With hopes that after year 1 those 2 would become big piecee of the offense and then we wouldnt be married to wallace or hartline if we wanted to salary dump.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:36 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:

Yep no disrespect, but this logic doesn't add up to me.

OK, I'll elaborate............Landry lined up at WR in LSU, though most saw his true strength at slot, he's quite capable at both. At this point, he's exceeding expectations.......the Owner even called him out.............."Jarvis Landry is somebody I think everybody is really excited about, speaking to the coaches," Ross said. "I think he's really going to be somebody that's going to surprise a lot of people and really bring some excitement to this team."

Everything's a prediction at this point...............but I believe Landry's versatility, strength and blocking means he's going to be an every down player. You certainly want him on running situations and in the redzone. He may well prove to be superior in all situations.

Hartline's a good receiver, but he's a minimal threat in the redzone and he's not known for his physical toughness. I can see several redzone and running packages with Landry & without Hartline. Though all 4 receivers will see considerable play under Lazor.........over time it may become clear Hartline's the 4th man.

Another point, I can't see Hickey wanting to pay Hartline an average of $6+ mil for years '15 - '17. Per Bleacher Report........".........cutting Hartline would count for about $4.2 million of the 2015 cap if things do not pan out for him in Miami by then. If the Dolphins were to to utilize the June 1 cut rule, the cut would cost $2.1 million against the cap for 2015 and 2016."

Though a $4.2 mil cap hit isn't great..........It's a better scenario than dishing out $18.1 mil through '15 - '17.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:45 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
I wish we would have taken a speed receiver like jonathan brown after we took landry. With hopes that after year 1 those 2 would become big piecee of the offense and then we wouldnt be married to wallace or hartline if we wanted to salary dump.

Tannehill has yet to prove he can hit a "speed" Wr with any consistency. He needs guys more like an Anquan Boldin.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:09 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

NFLJunkie wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Tannehill has yet to prove he can hit a "speed" Wr with any consistency. He needs guys more like an Anquan Boldin.

And that is what Landry is, but you also need a speed guy (Wallace) to clear out the defense and occupy a corner and safety. Jonathan Brown, who Arizona drafted is that type of receiver.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:40 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

And that is what Landry is, but you also need a speed guy (Wallace) to clear out the defense and occupy a corner and safety. Jonathan Brown, who Arizona drafted is that type of receiver.

A speed WR does you no good if the defense can man him up all day with their scrubs because you can't hit the deep ball. Seriously, Mark Duper had quite possibly some of the worst hands but once he broke free down the field...Marino hardly missed. Manning hardly misses. RT has yet to hit one where Wallace didn't have to break stride.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:42 pm 

NFLJunkie wrote:
A speed WR does you no good if the defense can man him up all day with their scrubs because you can't hit the deep ball. Seriously, Mark Duper had quite possibly some of the worst hands but once he broke free down the field...Marino hardly missed. Manning hardly misses. RT has yet to hit one where Wallace didn't have to break stride.

Trying to throw a deep route does you no good if you're getting planted 158 times in a season.

I'm sure Manning and Marino were not getting dropped on their asses consistently when they were hitting all those deep routes.

By the way, how did Manning's deep throws look when the Seahawks were dropping him on his a$$ play after play?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:54 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
By the way, how did Manning's deep throws look when the Seahawks were dropping him on his butt play after play?

Very good point.

So, Damian Williams is making an impression ... and he can also play special teams (which Matthews does not).

Quote:
If former Tennessee Titans receiver Damian Williams remains this impressive, the decision on the fifth receiver job --- among Williams, Rishard Matthews, Armon Binns and others --- will become even more difficult. Williams keeps making catches, including a 30-yarder from Matt Moore against Will Davis.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:21 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Trying to throw a deep route does you no good if you're getting planted 158 times in a season.

I'm sure Manning and Marino were not getting dropped on their asses consistently when they were hitting all those deep routes.

By the way, how did Manning's deep throws look when the Seahawks were dropping him on his butt play after play?

Manning's throws sucked against Seattle....even when there was no pressure. Manning has always sucked in the big game. Go look it up. Marino and Manning aren't getting planted because they're getting rid of the football. He can't hit the deep ball. Can he learn? remains to be seen. All I said was it is a waste to have another speed WR on the team when your young QB can throw darts up to about 20yds into tight coverage. You need guys with good hands and can use their body. Landry is going to flourish with RT...just watch it happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:12 am 

NFLJunkie wrote:
He can't hit the deep ball.

We don't know that because he is the most hit/sacked QB in the NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:52 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

How much of it is Tanne's fault though, he was under pressure 33% of the time, less than the NFL avg of 35%, so is Tanne the larger part of that problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:03 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

alot of it is on tannehill...he needs to do a better job of reading pressure and moving in the pocket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:15 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

As I said in another thread, Matt Moore the "good" deep ball guy is struggling to Wallace on deep patterns in TC. Yet he and Tannehill appear to be connecting with other receivers on deep passes.

Coincidence?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 pm 

Finster wrote:
Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

How much of it is Tanne's fault though, he was under pressure 33% of the time, less than the NFL avg of 35%, so is Tanne the larger part of that problem.

Do you think the Dolphins offensive line was a piss poor unit last season?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:32 pm 

Kev1321 wrote:
alot of it is on tannehill...he needs to do a better job of reading pressure and moving in the pocket

What constitutes "a lot"?

We had terrible play at right tackle, right guard and left tackle. Our tight ends and running backs were not good at blocking, especially our running backs at picking up blitzers. Our running game went nowhere. And to top it all off, our offensive system gave the play with Go and Go Go...

So given all of those ingredients, how do we quantify a lot?

Does Tannehill get sacked or hit 158 times if he has decent pass protection from the offensive line and other blockers? Or do you believe we already had a decent offensive line and tight ends/running backs blocking?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:02 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a ... -sack-rate

I am not sure if this will help but an article about QB's and their responsibility as far a sacks are concerned.

Here is another on QB hit's.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra- ... whack-mole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:49 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

From today's practice day report...........

"For the record, I've watched Tannehill for 3 training camps and this is the first year he's EVER been on point throwing deep. Progress!"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:24 pm 

AQNOR wrote:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/2013-quarterbacks-true-sack-rate

I am not sure if this will help but an article about QB's and their responsibility as far a sacks are concerned.

Here is another on QB hit's.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra- ... whack-mole

What I gather from those numbers is that Tannehill bears about a 20% responsibility for sacks and hits.

That means there is still an 80% responsibility on other factors.

So it seems like the famous 80-20 rule applies.

Also tie into that the analysis by PFF that says he is among the league's best when throwing out a clean pocket and it only adds to the argument that the key to making him successful is to provide adequate protection.

No different than almost any other NFL quarterback.

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next