Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:45 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
According to the Miami Herald, "there's a hope in Dolphins camp" that Lamar Miller "can play the role of LeSean 'Shady' McCoy" in new OC Bill Lazor's offense.
Lazor spent 2013 on Chip Kelly's staff as Philly led the NFL in rushing and yards per carry (5.1). Miller lacks McCoy's lateral explosiveness, but he is a speed back who's dangerous in space. Earlier in July, Miller met with McCoy to discuss "how to thrive in the system Lazor has brought from Philly to South Florida," and also watched Shady's game tape. Per beat writer Adam Beasley, Miller "has been clearly ahead" of Knowshon Moreno "every step of the way." "He looks good, he looks stronger than he’s ever been," said coach Joe Philbin of Miller, who gained 6-8 pounds of offseason muscle. "I don’t think he’s sacrificed any speed whatsoever." Miller is shaping up as a potential steal at his seventh-round ADP.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:47 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I stand by what I said earlier about Miller and Wallace being fantasy steals that can help win championships. You dont have to waste high picks on them. I actually like Tannehill as a value pick too, on my bench, he helped my team out down the stretch last season. He had steady numbers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:03 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

So far Miller has proved that he is good running the ball in space, but not so much anything else, he will continue to be a hit or miss player until he can get better in other areas, if he can.

A good change of pace RB at this point of his career imo.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:10 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Also, they are saying he can play the role of McCoy, but he isn't McCoy, I could play the role of McCoy, and I'd be even worse, but lets not forget that Shady was an elite RB before Lazor arrived.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:17 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Miller really hasnt had the chance yet. Very good college runner that flashed big potential his rookie year, then he got dropped into a meatgrinder last year. He'd get blown up almost before he could take the handoffs from Tannehill. Never had any running room to create yards. Hopefully they can get some push this year up front.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
His goal: Break more tackles, which will improve both his rushing total (709) and average (4.0) from a year ago.

“He looks good, he looks stronger than he’s ever been,” Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said. “I don’t think he’s sacrificed any speed whatsoever.”

Miller proved that on the first day of live hitting at camp. During team drills Sunday, he took the handoff and simply ran away for a blitz before it could get to him, breaking loose for what might have been a touchdown in a game.

That rare ability has many in the Dolphins organization still bullish on the University of Miami ballcarrier after two nondescript pro seasons.

Miller was the change-of-pace back behind Reggie Bush as a rookie, then won the starting job over Daniel Thomas in Year 2. Many within the organization thought that Miller would be the league’s next breakout player, but it didn’t happen.

Why? There are plenty of reasons: a pass-happy approach by then-coordinator Mike Sherman, arguably the worst offensive line in team history, and Miller’s trouble creating for himself when a clear hole wasn’t there.

Sherman is gone, the line is revamped and the brawnier Miller now has stiffer competition, at least on paper. Moreno, whenever he does get healthy, will get a chance to push Miller for depth-chart supremacy.

But if Dolphins brass intended to light a fire under Miller with the signing, it worked. He worked with fellow Hurricane Frank Gore during the offseason, and associates rave about his renewed focus and motivation.

“I think competition is the best thing for a guy,” Miller said. “It brings the best out of someone.”

If Miller wants to be Miami’s version of McCoy, he’d be well-suited to mimic his friend’s consistency.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/27/4 ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:35 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I had Miller , Wallace & Tannehill on my fantasy team last year. Did not go so well but I am sure they will be triplets part 2 this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:28 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

The Frank Gore thing didn't work last year...Moreno will help more than any of this fluff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:16 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

A decent offensive line will help out more than anything...Miller just needs some room to operate.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:11 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
A decent offensive line will help out more than anything...Miller just needs some room to operate.

The entire offense will fall into place if the OL holds up. It's as simple as that, it's the anchor of the offense now...it's all going to be up to how they perform if we are going to remain scoring 19 PPG.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:49 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Finster wrote:
Also, they are saying he can play the role of McCoy, but he isn't McCoy, I could play the role of McCoy, and I'd be even worse, but lets not forget that Shady was an elite RB before Lazor arrived.

Thats hilarious because its true.

Glad to hear Miller is trying this year tho, even if he is a wanna be. He wasn't real motivated last year

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:19 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Zissou wrote:
Finster wrote:

Thats hilarious because its true.

Glad to hear Miller is trying this year tho, even if he is a wanna be. He wasn't real motivated last year

I'm glad too, I think he's got real open space abilities and if he could become solid in another couple areas then he could be more of an every down RB and hence be more effective just by simply getting on the field more.

There are too many football scenarios where you don't want him on the field as he is, unless he's made some real offseason progress, and that is the thing he has to change, he has to be relied upon to at least get in the way of oncoming rushers, not asking him to actually be a good blocker, just get in the guy's way, and then he can be used in the pass game, if he's any good at it, because we haven't seen a large enough sample size to even judge him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:16 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:

^^^^
This. And a less predictable offense won't hurt either. Bubble screens, draws, swing passes should open things up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:01 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse wrote:
I had Miller , Wallace & Tannehill on my fantasy team last year. Did not go so well but I am sure they will be triplets part 2 this year.

There are a lot of rave reports coming out of camp about Miller. Unfortunately we heard this last year. The silver lining is Lazor. I think he can pull off what we've all seen as good flashes of talent from Miller.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Good to see Lamar Miller slither through a hole in the second-team defense for what likely would have been a long touchdown run if the play had been allowed to continue. What the Dolphins want to see from Miller is hitting holes quickly and also making something of plays where the blocking isn’t necessarily great.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]