All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:27 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

When Pouncey went down, I knew what we have on the roster would give us problems at Center. Maybe someone will step up, but a smart idea would be to bring in a veteran there. I would have every available C in for a work out and pick the best one.

Barry Jackson wrote:
### The Dolphins shook up their first-team offensive line, which is once again the team’s most worrisome position, during Wednesday’s practice after two more botched snaps from center Shelley Smith, giving him four over the past two days.

During the second half of team drills, Nate Garner replaced Smith with the first team at center, while rookie third-round pick Billy Turner replaced Dallas Thomas with the starters at right guard.

Meanwhile, Thomas got some work at right tackle, a position he played at times in practice last season.

Branden Albert is set at left tackle, while Daryn Colledge (left guard) and Ja’Wuan James (right tackle) are likely starters.

But the two other positions have proven problematic in light of Mike Pouncey’s hip surgery, which will force him to miss a chunk of the season.

Smith, who has never played center in an NFL game, has mishandled at least six snaps in five training camp practices. He lost his spot with the first team Wednesday after a low snap resulted in a fumble that was recovered by Isaaka Aaitui.

Smith said he wasn’t surprised he was replaced by Garner, who started two games at center last season and 19 games at various positions in his five seasons. But if the Dolphins determine Smith isn’t the answer at center, Smith would seem the logical starter at right guard.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:49 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Like I said, move Smith to right guard and sign Satele.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:51 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:

I've heard that Satele hasn't been signed because he may be dealing with an injury. Teams are waiting to see if he gets healthy. Also the Phins may be waiting for teams to make their first cuts to pick up a veteran center.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:41 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MdDolfan wrote:
Rich wrote:

I've heard that Satele hasn't been signed because he may be dealing with an injury. Teams are waiting to see if he gets healthy. Also the Phins may be waiting for teams to make their first cuts to pick up a veteran center.

I doubt we can pick up anybody good with the first set of cuts, more like the last set of cuts, and they may be waiting for that, but then it' can be a scramble to teach the new C the O.

They will probably watching the cast offs closely this year for a couple positions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:39 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

get Koppen or Satele, someone that has had some marginal success playing center.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:48 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

at least Benton knows when to cut his losses and march on

Quote:
Dolphins C Nate Garner has been working with the first-team offense "most of this week."
It appears the Shelley Smith experiment is over. Smith, who had "never played center at any level," struggled with errant snaps throughout the first week of training camp. Smith will likely move back to his more comfortable guard role while Garner handles the center duties. Free agent Samson Satele is also an option.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]