View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Will Davis's PI call 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Will Davis's PI call
Finster wrote:
I've always been a proponent of having more refs on the field, specific to a duty, as in ball refs, and in bound refs, penalty refs, instead of asking then all to do everything.

You can't add much on the field, but you could put a bunch of them on the sidelines, they would not be a part of the ref discussions, they would just say what they saw, the theory being that more eyes will get to the truth more often.

So say 6 refs saw a play and 2 say X and 4 say Y, well then 4 it is.

It's not like the NFL can't afford it.

So to solve human error lets introduce more error prone humans. You can't be serious. Say hello to the 5 hour game. Refs are going to make mistakes based on angle, view and yes even bias comes into play. With that said, the ONLY way to mitigate it would be to allow for reversal of those calls where its obvious to everyone in the house the call was unjust.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:18 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Soooo, let the fans decide, uh, ok.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:55 am

Finster wrote:

Read much? "give the coaches 1 extra red flag per game"

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:59 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:
Finster wrote:

This comment made it sound as if you want the fans to decide.

Quote:
With that said, the ONLY way to mitigate it would be to allow for reversal of those calls where its obvious to everyone in the house the call was unjust.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:05 am

* context
The previous post ... ie the one he responded to had my suggestion. "Everyone in the house" is hyperbole. Often used to emphasize the obvious.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:14 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
* context
The previous post ... ie the one he responded to had my suggestion. "Everyone in the house" is hyperbole. Often used to emphasize the obvious.

I get it, I'm just telling you why he responded the way he did.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:23 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Finster wrote:

Evelyn Woodhead sped reddin' course.

But in all seriousness, Rich is correct, I was responding to your last comment, but I have no problem giving another red flag, however you were complaining about the game taking longer when I suggested extra refs that would not be part of ref convos, just info gatherers, which I don't think would add much time, but red flags do add extra time.

My point about the extra refs is based on human error, the more eyes the less likely error happens, in theory at least, unfortunately football is not like tennis, where you can simply automate most calls, so humans have to do it, many times there is no ref that had a good look at it, if there were more refs then someone is more likely to see it.

Until something changes though, we're just going to have to live with the bad calls.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:11 am

I don't get the inability to string more than one post together. You could just include turnovers/scoring plays as an "automatic" review and make sure no plays are exempted ...ala judgement calls. So a OL holding call that calls back a TD would be reviewed in the booth. You could add refs in the booth to help expedite that. I think as long as there are "judgement" calls you're going to have mistakes. Coaches can be fired because they lost 1 more game than they needed to. So the importance of getting it right, outweighs everything else. In the case of this preseason, they're introducing more of these judgement calls. It has the ability to wreck the integrity of the game....especially if those calls are not consistent as pointed out above.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:01 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
I don't get the inability to string more than one post together. You could just include turnovers/scoring plays as an "automatic" review and make sure no plays are exempted ...ala judgement calls. So a OL holding call that calls back a TD would be reviewed in the booth. You could add refs in the booth to help expedite that. I think as long as there are "judgement" calls you're going to have mistakes. Coaches can be fired because they lost 1 more game than they needed to. So the importance of getting it right, outweighs everything else. In the case of this preseason, they're introducing more of these judgement calls. It has the ability to wreck the integrity of the game....especially if those calls are not consistent as pointed out above.

Well turnovers and scoring plays are automatically reviewed in the booth, the problem with holding calls is that you can only review some of them, so it would not be an even playing field so to speak, because you can't review most holding calls, so since you can't evenly review holding plays that remains a problem.

My idea of extra refs would help that I think, because in my theory you would have refs that were looking for holding specifically, that would be the only thing they would be looking for, if they see something they would signal to the big ref, and they would be under strict orders to only call what they actually saw, not what they think they saw, there's too much of that right now.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:24 pm

Quote:
Well turnovers and scoring plays are automatically reviewed in the booth, the problem with holding calls is that you can only review some of them, so it would not be an even playing field so to speak, because you can't review most holding calls, so since you can't evenly review holding plays that remains a problem.

I was speaking about ALL turnovers and scoring plays, so yes the normal ones with no flag on the field and the others where a penalty is called. The ones where a penalty is called it supercedes the turnover. A lot of those judgement calls are simply BS. How many holding or PI calls get called incorrectly and reverse a score or a turnover.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2