View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Dolphins offense will not be a surprise to Belichick. 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins offense will not be a surprise to Belichick.
Dave Hyde wrote:
The Patriots just had mid-week practices with and a preseason game against Philadelphia. No doubt Bill Belichick picked good friend and Philadelphia coach Chip Kelly's mind about his offense, which Bill Lazor has brought a lot of to the Dolphins. In other words, the Dolphins won't have as much a strategic surprise with this new offense in the opening games as they might have had.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 9243.story

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:45 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Post Re: Dolphins offense will not be a surprise to Belichick.
Umm..

Lazor was an offensive coach LONG before Chip Kelly came along in the NFL.

2003- offensive quality control under Dan Reeves
2004/5- offensive assistant under Joe Gibbs
2006/7- QB coach with Mike Holgren and Jim Mora in SEA
2010- University of Virginia OC
2013- QB coach with the Eagles

Lazor and Kelly only coached together for 1 season....

Yes, the players say the offense is like the Eagles from last year..... IN PHILOSOPHY!! Meaning, its UP tempo, and its going to take ideology from Kelly's Blur offense from Oregon.

Fact is this. The Patriots run a version of the spread offense.... and there is enough game video from the Eagles last year to understand what is going on with the speed/tempo.

Glad Belichick picked Kelly's brain.... what did he pick his brain on? Whats Lazor's social security number? Yea thats my point.

Just because Lazor is using elements of Kelly's system does not mean it IS kelly's system. It will be his own... which is exactly why Lazor is a dangerous hire to the rest of the league.

Who really knows how Lazor will call plays on Sunday? No one, he's never been in a position to do as such at this level. Combine that with a new personnel..... yea Belichick can pick Kelly's head all day long........ And Kelly will say something like "Well here are a few routes we had DeSean run that you will probably see from Wallace"...... thing is, they are 2 different players, so how can you prepare for that.

It'd be like saying: "He liked to run the Power with Csonka off to the right of the formation. You should expect that play to show its head because that was his bread and butter..... But the personnel will be... DeAngelo Williams"

Lazor was a good hire because he is a FOOTBALL MIND... the complete opposite of what Coyle is showing his ugly head to be. Lazor is gonna take themes, and put them to use in this offense.
Tannehill is gonna be Tannehill..... not Foles
Miller will be Miller... not Shady McCoy
Hartline will be Hartline..... not Riley Cooper
Wallace will be Wallace.... not DeSean

This offense will not be a surprise to Belichick, because the skill positions are the same.... but the formations, motions, play design, and execution will be.....

Miami will win opening day. Im thinking 24-17 with Tannehill putting up 2 TDs, and Brady with only 1

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:07 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I am sure the thing that eats at Belichick night and day is how to stop the prolific Dolphins offense

:haha :fart:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:24 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Miami will win opening day. Im thinking 24-17 with Tannehill putting up 2 TDs, and Brady with only 1

It's not a stretch by any means to predict that...in general, the NFL and a lot of the fans still think of the Pats as they were several years ago. They upgraded their secondary for sure, have a better O-Line, and as blasphemous as this may sound...come game day, I think both QBs will be wildcards as to who outperforms the other.

Miami beating New England in reality is not near as big of an upset as it would have been years ago, but the majority of NFL people still think of it that way. Most reports are saying Gronk will be out for the opener, and Clay is in. All in all, there are many cases to think of Miami as the straight up favorite going into that game. Browner will be out the first 4 games, as will Reshad Jones so both secondaries are on par with each other.

New England's LB core isn't good, but we all know Miami's is one of, if not the worst in the league. As much bad publicity as our OL gets, the LBers will be the unit that holds this team back the most this season...and will reflect badly on a very good Miami DL and secondary this season. I will be very disappointed if Miami lets New England sweep them this year like they have in the past. It just isn't the same match up it used to be, and the division is looking more competitive than ever.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:28 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Just saying... It seems like every time Miami has a "new offense" and gets the Pats early in the season.... Miami wins.

Wildcat?!?
Marino's epic return season opener..

There's plenty of examples. This is a new look offense.... its fresh, not necessary the most innovative, but its definitely not going to give them any film to plan for....

Plus, Tannehill played well against them.. i smell a close game, and factoring in the absence of Gronk.... probably a win

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:40 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I actually like New England's linebackers alot. Collins, Mayo and Hightower...young studs.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:11 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
I actually like New England's linebackers alot. Collins, Mayo and Hightower...young studs.

He is using drones to video tape now?

Collins is playing real good...Mayo gets beat alot and coming off an injury and Hightower not so great yet imo. but young so maybe he is better this year.

Wish we had signed Spikes though...Could have used that guy.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
Dave Hyde wrote:
The Patriots just had mid-week practices with and a preseason game against Philadelphia. No doubt Bill Belichick picked good friend and Philadelphia coach Chip Kelly's mind about his offense, which Bill Lazor has brought a lot of to the Dolphins. In other words, the Dolphins won't have as much a strategic surprise with this new offense in the opening games as they might have had.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 9243.story

Yeah I am sure Chip Kelly gave him the Eagles play book. "It's cool Bill, just get it back to me when you can." :fart: :no:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:14 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

He will be surprised when we blow him out week 1.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:45 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

FINesse wrote:
He will be surprised when we blow him out week 1.

Bring back the Wildcat?

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:18 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Wouldn't it be more impressive to beat the Pats with the staples of your offense rather than with a strategic surprise?

Granted the Wildcat season was the only successful one we've seen in about a decade but that wasn't something that could be sustained.

I'm almost convinced that Moreno will be the "go to" running back so with that said I want to see:

Tannehill pick apart the defense with smart throws
Moreno average 4 yds per carry
The receivers produce solid YAC
The d line get pressure on Brady
The linebackers to actually tackle
The secondary preventing 3rd down conversions

While that all sounds too basic it will be the measuring stick for how good this team can be. If they rely on surprise and trickery then they'll be figured out by game 4 and we'll watch another regime change next winter.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Miami "usually" plays the Patriots tough, however you are still facing a HOF Coach whereas the Dolphins have Phildo. Hopefully, the fins get off on the right foot with a "W" as that would be a HUGE way to start the season by winning game one and knocking off the top AFC EAST opponent.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:10 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Quote:
Tannehill pick apart the defense with smart throws
Moreno average 4 yds per carry
The receivers produce solid YAC
The d line get pressure on Brady
The linebackers to actually tackle
The secondary preventing 3rd down conversions

Tannehill seems fine in his passing right now. 7 for 7 in game 1..... 9 for 14 in this last game where i saw at least 3 of those incompletions not being on him (that non PI against hartline, there was an elbow digging into his numbers tackling hartline before the ball got there,... Wallace's screen drop, and the deep Wallace bomb non call PI).

I think the biggest problem will be NE jumping routes... especially in the second half. Tannehill looks deadly on the inside slants this season.... a pleasant change from the 10 yard outs that got predictable last season....

Moreno is not going to get 4 YPC. Miami will not be able to run right or left traditionally. Thats what I've gathered from the preseason. They will be shotgun draw running, or stretching to the sidelines for positive yards... Moreno is good..... but Miller and Williams are the only ones to be able to turn a corner.. Moreno will fall forward, but wont have enough yardage to average over 4 per carry.

The D Line always gets pressure on Brady. That has never been the issue... its the back of the defense. If they can hold their covers for 3 seconds, Brady will be sacked at least 3 times...Worried mostly about the Nickle being forced to cover LaFells/Gronk.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:17 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Chip Kelly and Bill Lazor only coached one year together and they ran Chip Kelly's offense. Lazor had his own system when he was the OC at Virginia. Since Lazor was not the OC in Philly, it doesn't matter what Kelly runs.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:18 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

We're not going to be seeing the Pats from the beginning of last year, they were a much better team by the end of the year, and they got better in the offseason.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:20 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Yea... but we will be seeing a pats team that:

1- top wide receiver Dobson is just getting cleared to run after a foot injury. The took a few weeks to gel between him and Brady..... they have desperately paired Dobson's locker next to Brady's trying to create a union circa Randy Moss in 2007....

Quote:
Aaron Dobson's locker has been moved next to Tom Brady's.
Perhaps it's nothing, but it reminds of the 2007 season when new Patriot Randy Moss was given a locker next to Brady. Dobson, finally back at practice following foot surgery, is ideally the guy that will emerge on the outside. Although Kenbrell Thompkins has been the first-string "X" throughout the preseason, he was passed up by Dobson midway through last season.
Related: Kenbrell Thompkins
Source: ESPN Boston

BTW- Brian Tyms is suspended.... Leaving New England with injured Dobson
1- Edelman
2-Thompkins
3- Amendola
4-LaFells

BTW- on LaFells

Quote:
Brandon LaFell's "inconsistent hands" have "drawn notice" early at Patriots camp.
LaFell had eight drops on 90 targets last season. As a new player in the Patriots offense, he's going to have to shine in camp to climb the depth chart. LaFell is starting off at least behind Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola, and will also eventually be leapfrogged by Aaron Dobson (day to day, foot).

Sounds rough on the WR department, Amendola allegedly has only been taking reps on 3 and 4 WR sets.

2- Stevan Ridley fumbled... and was benched.... Espn Boston is reporting that the benching is not about the fumble but more about the workload?

Quote:
ESPN Boston reports Stevan Ridley's benching in Friday's preseason game "might have been more about workload than a message from the coaching staff."
Ridley started and played 16-of-91 snaps, but didn't return after his second-quarter fumble. He finished with nine carries for 45 yards. Bill Belichick said he thought Ridley's fumble "was close," and could have been overturned if challenged. Ridley shouldn't lose his role as the primary early-down back based on one preseason play, but he can't afford any turnovers in New England's third or fourth exhibition games. He's a boom-or-bust fantasy RB2.

discontent amongst the RB ranks? Ridley is out of shape/can't handle the workload, Vereen isnt getting carries.... the #3 RB only managed 2.7 ypc.... wheres the running game? I think Miami can defend it!
Sounds like the RB's are doing just as rough as the WR's!

3- Gronkowski is saying that he will play all 16 games. He JUST started participating in 11 on 11 drills..... odds are, EVEN IF he is ready to go.... he won't be a full go with his injury history, they probably will want to be cautious on their approach with him

Quote:
Rob Gronkowski (knee) says he plans to play all 16 games.
Speaking after returning to 11-on-11 drills on Monday, Gronk said he's experienced no setbacks in his recovery from his torn ACL and MCL. Although playing all 16 games might be Gronk's plan, there's no guarantee it's the Patriots'. Coach Bill Belichick won't tip his hand before Week 1. The body of evidence suggests Gronk will be ready to go for the opener, but it's not something fantasy owners can take for granted.
Source: Mike Reiss on Twitter

3- Wilfork. They are claiming he's ready...But he's 32 years old and over 325 LBs... being limited in 11 on 11 drills, no preseason reps.... kinda hard to just get a big boned body back into game shape after a major injury isnt it? I would assume the big fat man will take at least 3-4 games to regain his old form.... But I am certain that his 2011 2 INT season with 39 TFL's days are long past him.... He's no Gerald McCoy... I think we'll survive

Quote:
Patriots NT Vince Wilfork (Achilles') is practicing without restriction.
Wilfork will likely he held out of some 11-on-11s, but he's full steam ahead for Week 1. That being said, we'd expect him to see very limited action in the preseason. There's simply no reason for the Patriots to take the risk.
Source: ESPN Boston Jul 24 - 6:39 PM

I dont know.... I could find dirt all day. Yes, It will not be the same team as last September.... It also will not be the same team as last December either.

Brady is having a hard time with his receivers... the trend of the last 3 preseasons.....Their DL is banged up... Looks like Will Smith is not even going to make the roster as it stands right now, and Wilfork is a shadow of himself. Their running game is not looking too hot either.... Blount being gone is a big loss it appears....Gronk isnt 100%..... Looks like the perfect opportunity to kick em while they are down with our new look Offense

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finster wrote:
We're not going to be seeing the Pats from the beginning of last year, they were a much better team by the end of the year, and they got better in the offseason.

Miami beat the Patriots 24-20 on 12/15/13.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:58 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

But can the defense surprise brady? Last year the defense was pretty good against them in two meetings...the second half collapse i blame on sherman and the officiating. Sherman is gone, so will the officials officiate fairly? Besides the eagles have different players so game planning is different

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Did anybody else pay attention to jimmy garappalo this preseason? He was scary good. I hate that the Pats landed him.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
Did anybody else pay attention to jimmy garappalo this preseason? He was scary good. I hate that the Pats landed him.

The double qb set is scary.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:13 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:

So next year Brady is traded to Dallas a la Bledsoe? haha

I wish Rotoworld would admit the Mallet pick was dumb now but they love everything NE does. Just had to get that out

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:20 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I watched the game. Garapolo was in for garbage time and played well for a rookie and better than Mallet ever has but i doubt he would be starting for any team as a rookie. Tymes was his main target. And Jonas Gray his running back :haha

Gray ran hard doubt he gets cut.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]