View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Miami's offensive goal: Score 25 points per game 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Miami's offensive goal: Score 25 points per game
ESPN's James Walker wrote:
Philbin said it’s hard to set a specific goal for Miami’s new offense under offensive coordinator Bill Lazor. But one thing he’s believed in was success comes with scoring 25 points per game, which equates to 400 points per season. The Dolphins struggled to score consistently last season and averaged just 19.8 points per game.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... -clay-back

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Miami's offensive goal: Score 25 points per game
The Dolphins averaged 11.81 offensive possessions a game last year. 3 TD's and a FG gets them to 24 points a game. Sometimes scoring TD's instead of settling for FG's is the difference. Having an offense that reduces 3 and outs, negative rushing plays, sacks, fumbles, interceptions and drive killing penalties would score more points. And having a defense that causes turnovers, a great punter and return man would really help the cause.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:35 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

You're right Bobby and it also keeps the D "fresh" instead of relying on them...cough cough Jimmy Johnson/Wanny.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:13 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

So far they've failed to reach that goal in their first two preseaSon games

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:07 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Dont be surprised if they reach that goal in the first half ... Lazer powered!

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:21 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dave Hyde wrote:
Ten of the 11 teams that averaged 25 points last season made the playoffs (Chicago was the exception).

So, again, is this realistic for the Dolphins? Answer: A lot of questions have to come through. The line. Running back Knowshown Moreno. Some of these receivers have to find the end zone more. Ryan Tannehill. Finally, there's offensive coordinator Bill Lazor's system. I'm hesitant to think X's and O's make that much of a difference considering this is the fourth new offense in five years with the Dolphins. But Philadelphia jumped from 17.5 to 27.6 a game from 2012 to 2013 when Chip Kelly arrived (and Lazor was part of the staff).

The Dolphins wouldn't need a double-digit leap like that. But look at the past decade of scoring to see how far 25 points a game looks:

2013 - 19.4 pts/gm (26th ranking)

2012 - 18 (27th)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 1154.story

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:41 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

It's a good goal to shoot for, it probably should be the goal every year, but I do think we'll have to run the ball better to achieve that.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:49 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

We lost 4 games by 4 points or less last year.

Even if we won 2 of those we would've been 10-4 going into the last two dives

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:52 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Steve Zissou wrote:
We lost 4 games by 4 points or less last year.

Even if we won 2 of those we would've been 10-4 going into the last two dives

Poor game preparation against teams they should have throttled (Buff twice, TB, the Jets) and poor halftime adjustments that lead to losses (ie, Carolina, New England, Baltimore). There's 7 of your 8 losses last year and they're all on the coach. Ross 's biggest mistake was not letting Philbin go last off season

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:07 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

25 points per game is nice..

Only 10 teams last year Allowed 25 points per game...

Also remember that Miami was 8th in scoring defense last year Allowing 20.9 points per game..

I get the idea that more points means more wins... Miami averaged 19.8 points per game. So while the Defense was in the top 10, and clearly were the reason we were in so many games....

I think the goal should be simpler than 25 points per game.

Lets worry about a positive point differential.... (Miami was a negative 17)

And set a more probable goal of 22.5 points per game...

I'd also like to point out... of the 12 playoff teams last season, 10 of them were in the top 12 when it came to scoring defense (Arizona & Miami the only outstanding).

I just think it's SEXY to talk about offenses, and high scoring offenses..... but what it really comes down to, Miami is a defensive team... thats been the miami calling card since Marino retired.... Philbin's comment was obviously feed the media, and fans what they want to hear.... a pipe dream

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:36 am

SkyHigh314 wrote:

Also remember that Miami was 8th in scoring defense last year Allowing 20.9 points per game..

I get the idea that more points means more wins... Miami averaged 19.8 points per game. So while the Defense was in the top 10, and clearly were the reason we were in so many games....

I'd also like to point out... of the 12 playoff teams last season, 10 of them were in the top 12 when it came to scoring defense (Arizona & Miami the only outstanding).

I just think it's SEXY to talk about offenses, and high scoring offenses..... but what it really comes down to, Miami is a defensive team... thats been the miami calling card since Marino retired.... Philbin's comment was obviously feed the media, and fans what they want to hear.... a pipe dream

Definitely fair points, but on the other side of the ball, every single playoff team avg more than 22.5 points a game, only the defensive heavy Panthers avg under 24.4 points per game, with an avg of 22.9.

Only 2 other teams avg under 25 points a game, Indy at 24.4 and the Chargers at 24.8, so 11 of the 12 playoff teams were near or over 25 points per game.

It's a real thing to shoot for if you want to make the playoffs, 15 teams avg at least 24.4 points per game last year, thats half the league, if it's a pipe dream for us then we're probably in trouble.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Dont be surprised if they reach that goal in the first half ... Lazer powered!

I won't be.............. I'd be SCHOCKED!

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finster wrote:
It's a good goal to shoot for, it probably should be the goal every year, but I do think we'll have to run the ball better to achieve that.

Me too. I think the issues at RG and the lack of a running game are going to be a serious problem. Miami is going to have to find a a way to run the ball. Hopefully the o-line will get better as the season plays out. Getting Pouncey back sooner than later will help.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finster wrote:
SkyHigh314 wrote:

Definitely fair points, but on the other side of the ball, every single playoff team avg more than 22.5 points a game, only the defensive heavy Panthers avg under 24.4 points per game, with an avg of 22.9.

Only 2 other teams avg under 25 points a game, Indy at 24.4 and the Chargers at 24.8, so 11 of the 12 playoff teams were near or over 25 points per game.

It's a real thing to shoot for if you want to make the playoffs, 15 teams avg at least 24.4 points per game last year, thats half the league, if it's a pipe dream for us then we're probably in trouble.

Some of that has to do with soft schedule. We'll see how many of those repeat.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]