View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Shelley Smith back in at RG 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Shelley Smith back in at RG
Quote:
Well, Shelley Smith and Dallas Thomas will both get work at right guard Saturday but it seems Smith will be the starter there.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Hold your breath, guys. We need this.

Quote:
Dallas Thomas heads to the bench after getting destroyed in both the run and pass games during Miami's first two preseason games. Smith entered camp as the starting center after Mike Pouncey got hurt. That transition didn't work, and he's back at his more natural position. Smith is an above-average run blocker
- Rotoworld

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:30 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Shelley Smith back in at RG
It scares me that we are so uncertain at the guard position at this point in the preseason.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
It scares me that we are so uncertain at the guard position at this point in the preseason.

It is this kind of repeat crap that will get a head coach fired. They had ALL off season to fulling secure this needs and here we go deja vu worrying about the line once again.

Time will tell....

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The line will be problematic until Poucey gets back. Pouncey was taken off the practice field Wednesday, I haven't seen an update.........so I'll take no news as good news.

I'm not sure what the plan is for Satele.......one option is to put Pouncey on the PUP & cut Satele when he returns. The more favorable option is Satele plays well at Center, Pouncey comes back by Game 5, keep Satele as backup C and possibly plug him in as guard.

I'm not blaming Hickey or Philbin for the O line yet, there was so much work to be done,......they were not going to go from Horrible to Great in one year. If they can just get to middle of the road and be creative with Tanny's rollouts , they can avoid some of that interior pressure. I'm afraid the running game will struggle all year.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:51 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

shularino wrote:
The line will be problematic until Poucey gets back. Pouncey was taken off the practice field Wednesday, I haven't seen an update.........so I'll take no news as good news.

I'm not sure what the plan is for Satele.......one option is to put Pouncey on the PUP & cut Satele when he returns. The more favorable option is Satele plays well at Center, Pouncey comes back by Game 5, keep Satele as backup C and possibly plug him in as guard.

I'm not blaming Hickey or Philbin for the O line yet, there was so much work to be done,......they were not going to go from Horrible to Great in one year. If they can just get to middle of the road and be creative with Tanny's rollouts , they can avoid some of that interior pressure. I'm afraid the running game will struggle all year.

I would hang on to Satele, he is our 3rd or 4th best lineman, and with him behind Pouncey we are actually deep at one Oline position!

:yay:

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:39 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I dont really get the cause for Pessimism!

Miami is going into a season with 5 new starters on the Offensive line!!!! Not many teams EVER have to do that.... Yet by week 1.... and confirmed by Week 2 of the Preseason.... we have inked in the Day one starters at 4 of 5 positions..

Just saying...

Quote:

Im happy we are certain at the other 4 positions so early!!

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:49 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

He's right where Hickey signed him to play. We sure wasted a lot of bonding time bouncing players around.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:01 pm
Profile WWW

Big Dave wrote:
He's right where Hickey signed him to play. We sure wasted a lot of bonding time bouncing players around.

I know right, here's a guy who has played mostly at RG, so when every thing else fails, lets try him at RG...

Satele should have been signed the day they found out about Pouncey and Smith should have been playing where he was meant to play to begin with. He has been a marginal player so why try to teach him an even harder position.

I just wish this team would start making more sound football sense again.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finster wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

I know right, here's a guy who has played mostly at RG, so when every thing else fails, lets try him at RG...

Satele should have been signed the day they found out about Pouncey and Smith should have been playing where he was meant to play to begin with. He has been a marginal player so why try to teach him an even harder position.

I just wish this team would start making more sound football sense again.

I disagree....What type of message does it send to your team if you just go get someone off the street in this case..Without trying out the guys you already have. The back ups or up and coming talent deserve there chance(and it was brief)..You're over playing the value of Satele and the fact he is a vet and can catch up with whats going on pretty quick . He has been here, what 6 or 7 weeks by the time it counts. Thats alot of practices and preseason time to catch up.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:31 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Kev1321 wrote:

I disagree....What type of message does it send to your team if you just go get someone off the street in this case..Without trying out the guys you already have. The back ups or up and coming talent deserve there chance(and it was brief)..You're over playing the value of Satele and the fact he is a vet and can catch up with whats going on pretty quick . He has been here, what 6 or 7 weeks by the time it counts. Thats alot of practices and preseason time to catch up.

The best player starts. If you want to start you beat the best person at your position. That's the message that should be sent in my opinion. I would love it if our young players rose up to win that position battle. Now, if you have a returning starter, the position is his until he gets beat. We did not have a returning starter at RG.

RotoWorld: "Dallas Thomas heads to the bench after getting destroyed in both the run and pass games during Miami's first two preseason games."

As far as Satele, I am with Finster on this one. Satele is a veteran center. The position is too important to play around with. He is the leader of the offensive line and sets the tone.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:13 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

SkyHigh314 wrote:

Miami is going into a season with 5 new starters on the Offensive line!!!! Not many teams EVER have to do that.... Yet by week 1.... and confirmed by Week 2 of the Preseason.... we have inked in the Day one starters at 4 of 5 positions..

Just saying...

Quote:

I get what you are saying. But the pessimism is that the LG, C and RG can't run block. So far the first string RB's are gettting dropped 5 yards deep in the backfield. Pouncey's injury was something Miami couldn't have seen coming. But if I am a defensive coordinator game planning against Miami. I put in a game plan to stuff a weak run game and then blitz Tannehill to death while taking away Hartline and Clay. The Bill's game could be ugly. Miami cannot afford to be a one dimensional offense again this year. I am wondering if Miami will be able to grab someone after the last round of cuts that can come in and help. And I am not sure why Nate Garner isn't getting a chance to start at RG. I hope something clicks with Shelley Smith and he can improve to being a mediocre RG. Hopefully Lazor will use draws, screens and let Tannehill roll out to help slow down the pass rush.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:07 am

SkyHigh314 wrote:

Just saying...

Quote:

Is that simply because of lack of depth though? That's the real question for me, there is no depth behind a shaky line.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:57 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Only on a Miami MB would a backup OLman get a thread. :cry:

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:06 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:
Only on a Miami MB would a backup OLman get a thread. :cry:

You've got a lot of free time to check message boards?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

You've got a lot of free time to check message boards?

Today I do. Its a Sat. Morning. Yes, I have free time. Been raining outside so cannot get out, so yes I am enjoy the down time & kicking back & catching up.

I wish I had the time to be a NFL expert on offensive schemes , defensive schemes, cap working, all NFL player and draft prospects and religiously keeping up with the rankings from a website. Not to discount the free time to police a MB informing people what they can & cannot post while also deliberately trying derail threads for personal reason.

Right now I can only dream of one day having that much free time.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:34 am

Dphins4me wrote:
I wish I had the time to... derail threads for personal reason.

Um... you obviously do, more than anyone else.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:41 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Um... you obviously do, more than anyone else.

:) :haha :) :haha :)

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:53 am

Makchell wrote:

If not for Pouncey's injury, I think Smith is the right guard throughout camp.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:58 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

What's going on with Turner? I thought he did well in the first preseason game. ??

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:52 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

The running game was good with Smith....lousy with Thomas. Pass protection was decent with Smith, Lousy with Thomas... I think I can call this one.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
The running game was good with Smith....lousy with Thomas. Pass protection was decent with Smith, Lousy with Thomas... I think I can call this one.

You're right man, hopefully we solved one problem.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:42 pm

The starting offensive line looked good tonight, but I get the feeling Dallas's front 7 isn't that good.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Rich wrote:
The starting offensive line looked good tonight, but I get the feeling Dallas's front 7 isn't that good.

Baby steps Rich...our starting 5 last year didn't look good very often.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:48 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Bingo Rich, and that's why I'm not feeling all warm and fussy, I'm not taking the positives from last night's game. We scored 3 points in the first half, which is sorry.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
What's going on with Turner? I thought he did well in the first preseason game. ??

Turner left in a walking boot...turf toe problem.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:14 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:

Turner left in a walking boot...turf toe problem.

Toe issues. Ouch. Painful..

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:12 am

Makchell wrote:

Bingo Rich, and that's why I'm not feeling all warm and fussy, I'm not taking the positives from last night's game. We scored 3 points in the first half, which is sorry.

Probably take a shark in the mug for you to get feelin' jazzed :haha

Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]