View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 POSTGAME NOTES: Dolphins Gain 490 Net Yards 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post POSTGAME NOTES: Dolphins Gain 490 Net Yards
Quote:
• The importance of the next-to-last preseason game:

Since 1978 when the NFL cut the preseason from six games to four games while also increasing the regular season from 14 to 16 games, the Dolphins now hold a 23-14 record in their next-to-last preseason game. In those 22 seasons prior to today where they won the game, the Dolphins went on to make the playoffs 18 times - or 81.8 percent of the time.

The 18 seasons were: 1978-79, 1981-85, 1987, 1990, 1992, 1995, 1998-2000, 2002-03, 2005 and 2008.

In addition, the Dolphins have finished 8-8 twice since 1978 after winning their next-to-last preseason game, in 1986 and 1996. That means that only twice since the preseason went to four games have the Dolphins won their next-to-last game and went on to suffer a losing season, which happened in 1988 and 2009.

And then there’s what happened around the NFL in 2013. The 12 playoff teams last season had a combined record of 9-3 in the next-to-last preseason game, and it should be noted that playoff participants Green Bay and Seattle faced each other, with Seattle winning 17-10. The only other teams to lose the next-to-last preseason game and still reach the postseason were the New England Patriots and the Cincinnati Bengals.

Since 2008, every eventual Super Bowl champion has won its next-to-last preseason game except the 2011 New York Giants.

• Miami outgained Dallas 490 total net yards to 251 total net yards. ...

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/artic ... 5ceed4246f

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:22 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: POSTGAME NOTES: Dolphins Gain 490 Net Yards
I have to say that I felt letdown by Tannehill and the offense last night. I felt offensively they moved the ball well, but could not finish what they started ... which has been their usual effort since the Wannstedt years. Mistakes in the red zone on third down. Tannehill threw well for the most part, but Lazor is another OC calling a lot of short passes for him. I understand this is a west coast offense, but if we want the medium to deep passes to be respected then we need to throw more of those passes rather than the less risky short passes.

I'm still a Tannehill supporter, but I need more from him. This was a game where we had a balanced attack as the running game was working, and the OL had a good game, so I expected
a touchdown in the first half. In his two previous games he delivered and looked very efficient.

Again, this is the preseason, and Tannehill has looked better this preseason than he has the last two years. There is improvement.

RotoWorld wrote:
Ryan Tannehill completed 13-of-21 passes for 119 yards and an interception in the Dolphins' third preseason game. The Dolphins' offense shredded the Cowboys' defense for 232 yards while Tannehill was on the field, but penalties and turnovers held Miami to only three points. The most egregious of those turnovers belonged to Tannehill, who stared down Brian Hartline before throwing the ball straight to Cowboys CB Tyler Patmon on his final play of the night. Tannehill also struggled with deep accuracy Saturday night, missing a wide-open Mike Wallace by a good five yards. Despite his struggles, Tannehill has the upside to be a solid QB2 in what should be an improved offense. Tannehill is 28-of-41 for 291 yards, one touchdown, and an interception this preseason.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7417/ryan-tannehill

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am hoping that these were hiccups or aberrations. Tanny still has 2 weeks to work on it until game time. : )

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:03 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Tannehill is 28-of-41 for 291 yards, one touchdown, and an interception this preseason.

That pesky TD/INT ratio shows up again, 1/1. He will never be a franchise QB with that TD/INT ratio. We will see in 2 weeks.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:53 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Well if he keeps missing a wide open Wallace in space, that won't improve. I wish to hell he'd quit trying that stupid lob throw... it isn't him. Just throw a freakin frozen rope right to him.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:02 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

NFLJunkie wrote:
Well if he keeps missing a wide open Wallace in space, that won't improve. I wish to hell he'd quit trying that stupid lob throw... it isn't him. Just throw a freakin frozen rope right to him.

Tanne reserves the frozen rope for receivers that are within 10 yards of him, :hithead: like the 2 passes that bounced off Miller's and Hartline's hands...

He doesn't have a QB feel for the game.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:47 am

Quote:
Tanne reserves the frozen rope for receivers that are within 10 yards of him, like the 2 passes that bounced off Miller's and Hartline's hands...

He doesn't have a QB feel for the game.

Peyton Manning had that problem when he came into the league. RT is deadly accurate on his throws, keeps his WRs healthy by throwing away from big hits, and generally gets an A for anything under 25yds.
Moore scares me on every out pass or comeback pattern. Over the middle he is accurate but often sets the WR up for a hit.

Deep ball - no contest...Moore throws a pretty deep ball.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]