Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: Fins-Pats Game
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:04 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
Mike Wallace estimates the Dolphins revealed "maybe 15 percent" of their playbook in the preseason.
New OC Bill Lazor's system came across as relatively tame in August, while coach Joe Philbin said the tempo wasn't where he wanted it to be. However, aside from Ryan Tannehill and Wallace's continued inability to get on the same page on deep balls, there's been no reason for alarm. A Chip Kelly disciple, Lazor's system should be a major improvement on Mike Sherman's.
Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:38 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Like Rock said, it's a legal move. It's just to get in our head. Go out there, beat em off the line, cover well, and no stupid mistakes and we can get a W.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:39 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

no stupid mistakes

key right there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:53 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Rock Sexton wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
well then you should care..because he may not be playing because he shot off his mouth.

you i don't care guys are funny.

And the guys who think beating a Gronk-less Patriots team is a badge of honor are funny.

It matters.

Whatever it takes to get into the playoffs. Every win counts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:18 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I want this to be a tone setting game.

After the 3-0 start last year some people were saying don't get too excited as each game had ominous mistakes. They were correct.

Win or lose on Sunday, this game needs to be efficient. We need to see Tannehill being consistent and either driving them to victory or keeping it close. We need not see foolish turnovers. And we need to see a defense that doesn't look lost.

I'm not worried about Gronk or beating a Gronk-less Pats. They beat plenty of good opponents without him last year. I'm worried about Miami's offense staring down the now healthy Wilfork and Mayo who can force them to be one dimensional.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:49 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I predict the first half to be close and we are shouting D!!!!! The 2nd half Billy makes adjustments and we start throwing too much, RT throws a pick and we lose. Pats take it 17-13 in a heartbreaker.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:29 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
well then you should care..because he may not be playing because he shot off his mouth.

you i don't care guys are funny.

And the guys who think beating a Gronk-less Patriots team is a badge of honor are funny.

It matters.

Whatever it takes to get into the playoffs. Every win counts.

You mean like 2008?, I don't know Rich, being a pretender is even worse than just not making it, or just as bad at least, if we're not good enough to beat decent teams without their key players then we're just not that good.

Getting stomped on in that playoff game was heart rending and embarrassing, I prefer to be a team that doesn't care whether Gronk is playing, the thought being, we can beat them with or without Gronk. We could say that now, but if we're truthful with ourselves we also have to say that we can lose to them with or without Gronk.

Good teams don't care who's suiting up, "bring 'em on" is the mentality, we used to be like that, I really loved that, I want to return to having that type of team.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:31 am 

Finster wrote:
You mean like 2008?, I don't know Rich, being a pretender is even worse than just not making it, or just as bad at least, if we're not good enough to beat decent teams without their key players then we're just not that good.

Getting stomped on in that playoff game was heart rending and embarrassing, I prefer to be a team that doesn't care whether Gronk is playing, the thought being, we can beat them with or without Gronk. We could say that now, but if we're truthful with ourselves we also have to say that we can lose to them with or without Gronk.

Good teams don't care who's suiting up, "bring 'em on" is the mentality, we used to be like that, I really loved that, I want to return to having that type of team.

You can either go in the wrong direction, continue to be mired in mediocrity or go in the right direction.

Getting into the playoffs is a step in the right direction.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:39 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
I'm not worried about Gronk or beating a Gronk-less Pats. They beat plenty of good opponents without him last year. I'm worried about Miami's offense staring down the now healthy Wilfork and Mayo who can force them to be one dimensional

wilfork and mayo ......you mean the staples to the worst defense in nfl history talk about over rated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:06 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The typical Dolphins fan after beating a Pats team missing integral players: "See I told you we were better!"

The typical Dolphins fan when the Dolphins are missing integral players and lose to the Pats: "But but but but we didn't have so-and-so".

The litmus test will always come from beating a healthy top tier ball club and ultimately getting into the playoffs and NOT getting curb stomped while they're there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:48 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

You can either go in the wrong direction, continue to be mired in mediocrity or go in the right direction.

Getting into the playoffs is a step in the right direction.

You mean like 2008 again Rich? That was kind of my point, just making the playoffs doesn't make you better, we haven't had a winning season since that playoff appearance.

Getting better as a team is the right direction, playoffs will come if you're a better team, if we play really well and go 10-6 and miss the playoffs I'd be happy, backing into the playoffs at 9-7 because you were fortunate enough to play some teams with significant injuries doesn't make you any better than you actually are.

Last edited by Finster on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:16 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

You can only play the team that is in front of you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:26 pm 

Finster wrote:
You mean like 2008 again Rich? That was kind of my point, just making the playoffs doesn't make you better, we haven't had a winning season since that playoff appearance.

Getting better as a team is the right direction, playoffs will come if your a better team, if we play really well and go 10-6 and miss the playoffs I'd be happy, backing into the playoffs at 9-7 because you were fortunate enough to play some teams with significant injuries doesn't make you any better than you actually are.

Teams have backed into the playoffs going 9-7 and made deep runs because they got hot a the right time.

And times have compiled 12-4 or 13-3 seasons and got thumped in the first round by those teams that backed into the playoffs.

Whatever it takes to get to the playoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:26 pm 

Makchell wrote:
You can only play the team that is in front of you.

And you can only go deep in the playoffs if you make the playoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:28 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

And you can only go deep in the playoffs if you make the playoffs.

Yep, and every year the SB winner gets some type of break(s).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:28 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Finster wrote:
You mean like 2008 again Rich?

In 2008 Miami did not have a QB to build around. Pennington was good, but that team would have been 7-9 and he might have been benched if not for the Wildcat. Henne would have needed a top 5 offense surrounding him to sniff the playoffs. And yes, I know you don't believe in Tannehill.

Based on what I've seen and read via the writers, Tannehill MIGHT be able to do enough to lift the team. As I've said, it almost scares me how optimistic Omar Kelly is about the passing game and now his parrot at ESPN (James Walker) is saying similar things. Normally you hear those two say the offense blows and there are too many question marks.

Now I don't want to turn this into another Tannehill love/hate thread, but if they are accurate in their observations then Miami could have something to build around. If true I want them to take a next step into the playoffs, even if they get trounced. Next year, trim the fat and raise the expectations...and repeat annually.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:54 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
In 2008 Miami did not have a QB to build around. Pennington was good, but that team would have been 7-9 and he might have been benched if not for the Wildcat. Henne would have needed a top 5 offense surrounding him to sniff the playoffs. And yes, I know you don't believe in Tannehill.

Based on what I've seen and read via the writers, Tannehill MIGHT be able to do enough to lift the team. As I've said, it almost scares me how optimistic Omar Kelly is about the passing game and now his parrot at ESPN (James Walker) is saying similar things. Normally you hear those two say the offense blows and there are too many question marks.

Now I don't want to turn this into another Tannehill love/hate thread, but if they are accurate in their observations then Miami could have something to build around. If true I want them to take a next step into the playoffs, even if they get trounced. Next year, trim the fat and raise the expectations...and repeat annually.

It's been the most interesting phenomena watching Dolphins fans talking about Omar's stance given all the hatred spewed at him every year. Of course when he is glowing about a hot button player like Tanny, suddenly his opinion has more merit.

Just an observation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:01 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Just an observation.

I think jammer is just "observing" what Omar is saying about RT since he is negative. I also don't believe Jammer is endorsing Omar, he's hopeing Omar is right for once. Jammer?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:08 pm 

Rock Sexton wrote:
Of course when he is glowing about a hot button player like Tanny, suddenly his opinion has more merit.

I think you struck out on how you are interpretting this...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:49 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Just an observation.

I think jammer is just "observing" what Omar is saying about RT since he is negative. I also don't believe Jammer is endorsing Omar, he's hopeing Omar is right for once. Jammer?

I wasn't insinuating anything about Jammer. Just talking about the affect I've seen across the internet from many other Dolphins fans.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:57 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

Getting better as a team is the right direction, playoffs will come if your a better team, if we play really well and go 10-6 and miss the playoffs I'd be happy, backing into the playoffs at 9-7 because you were fortunate enough to play some teams with significant injuries doesn't make you any better than you actually are.

Teams have backed into the playoffs going 9-7 and made deep runs because they got hot a the right time.

And times have compiled 12-4 or 13-3 seasons and got thumped in the first round by those teams that backed into the playoffs.

Whatever it takes to get to the playoffs.

Well I don't know of any teams that have backed into the playoffs and won a SB besides Balt, some teams have come together late in the season and made a SB run, that's a bit different.

My point is the team has to get better, playoffs or not, sustained high level of play is what gets you a chance at a SB ring.

Team records are not the point, the team playing well and sustaining it through multiple seasons is what I'm talking about, and what I want again. If we start out bad, say 2-6, and finish with a 8-8 record, looking like a strong up and coming team I will be happy.

Good teams don't "worry" about getting to the playoffs, they expect it, just like I did during the Marino era, the Pats aren't worried about it, they expect it, when we're better than they are then they can worry about it for a change, and we can expect it, for a really nice change.

I've actually pretty much forgotten what it's like, to just expect the playoffs, I'd love to experience that feeling again, of rooting for a quality NFL team.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:12 pm 

Finster wrote:
If we start out bad, say 2-6, and finish with a 8-8 record, looking like a strong up and coming team I will be happy.

Well if you're happy with moral victories, more power to you...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:34 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:
If we start out bad, say 2-6, and finish with a 8-8 record, looking like a strong up and coming team I will be happy.

Just brush by that(backed in) Raven team :haha I would never !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:03 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

:hithead:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:30 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

The Giants backed in twice recenttly and won it all both times.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:31 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
CSN New England expects the Patriots to use OLB Jamie Collins and CB Darrelle Revis on Charles Clay in Sunday's Week 1 opener.
Clay will also see a lot of slot CB Kyle Arrington. But the Patriots know how dangerous Clay can be, and they game-planned to stop him last season by sticking Aqib Talib on him in Week 15. Clay caught one pass for six yards. Collins is an athletic freak, and we'd expect him to cover Clay most of the time when Revis is trailing Mike Wallace. Clay is more TE2 than low-end TE1 this week.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:00 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rock Sexton wrote:
It's been the most interesting phenomena watching Dolphins fans talking about Omar's stance given all the hatred spewed at him every year. Of course when he is glowing about a hot button player like Tanny, suddenly his opinion has more merit.

Just an observation.

All I've said about Kelly is it makes me nervous, I've never endorsed him. I simply expected him to say the usual Tannehill is too inconsistent line. The other writers have said he's better too, they just tend to focus on how he and Wallace still have issues. I don't want to get my hopes up only to be let down again.

The only credit I'll give to Kelly is that he hasn't been wrong on a QB since I've been following the Fins. He called Pennington a true leader, Henne was empty hope, Moore outplayed Henne prior to 2011 and Tannehill wasn't ready to overcome a team full of problems last year. Maybe he's right on this now or maybe he's just getting the QB crowd off his back. But he's been pretty accurate on the QBs. My beef with him is his arrogance and inability to see beyond his own point of view. Sometimes he isn't overly gracious or polite to the readers who pay his salary. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:25 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:

And beat a undefeated team. Wouldn`t be like winning a real super bowl though. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:26 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
CSN New England expects the Patriots to use OLB Jamie Collins and CB Darrelle Revis on Charles Clay in Sunday's Week 1 opener.
Clay will also see a lot of slot CB Kyle Arrington. But the Patriots know how dangerous Clay can be, and they game-planned to stop him last season by sticking Aqib Talib on him in Week 15. Clay caught one pass for six yards. Collins is an athletic freak, and we'd expect him to cover Clay most of the time when Revis is trailing Mike Wallace. Clay is more TE2 than low-end TE1 this week.

Collins is a player.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:43 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Finster wrote:
. If we start out bad, say 2-6, and finish with a 8-8 record, looking like a strong up and coming team I will be happy..

I understand what you are saying, but have to disagree. Miami started '11 0-7, but finished 6-3. In '05 Miami started 3-7, but finished 6-0.

The point, neither team did anything the next yr.

If Miami starts out 2-6, I expect Philbin to be fired and Miami have a new Qb next yr, unless the reason Miami is losing is not Tanny. I do not recall a yr over the last 20 when I looked at the Phins & thought this team is building a winner. They do things that might win games now, but does nothing to build upon. Most of the issue in Miami has been poor coaching, poor personal moves & just simply doing the wrong thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:06 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Collins is a player.

Jordan should be this guy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:03 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Finster wrote:
. If we start out bad, say 2-6, and finish with a 8-8 record, looking like a strong up and coming team I will be happy..

I understand what you are saying, but have to disagree. Miami started '11 0-7, but finished 6-3. In '05 Miami started 3-7, but finished 6-0.

The point, neither team did anything the next yr.

If Miami starts out 2-6, I expect Philbin to be fired and Miami have a new Qb next yr, unless the reason Miami is losing is not Tanny. I do not recall a yr over the last 20 when I looked at the Phins & thought this team is building a winner. They do things that might win games now, but does nothing to build upon. Most of the issue in Miami has been poor coaching, poor personal moves & just simply doing the wrong thing.

Everyone seems to be missing the point, forget the record, I'm talking about BEING A GOOD TEAM, plain and simple, be a good team and the playoffs will come. I'm not trying to yell here, it just seems that my point is flying right by everyone and I have to over emphasize the words.

Those were not good teams, neither was the playoff team in 08, when we finished 11-5, so whats the answer?

Be a good team is the answer, we have a patch work line, a starting safety is out for 4 games, a new GM, a new offense, there may be struggles early, it happens, but if we finish as a good team then a brighter future is ahead.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:23 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:

I would have to say you and I have different ideas about what backing into the playoffs means.

The last time they won the SB, they won 3 of their last 4 games to get to 9-7, including back to back blow out victories to finish the season, that is not backing into the playoffs.

Then there is the infamous shoot out with the undefeated Pats to finish the season, they already had won the spot in the previous game, but they decided to play all the starters and try to win the game, lost 35-38 and were 10-6, but were inspired by their "moral victory", again, that doesn't qualify as backing in.

They got hot at the right time, they didn't back in, they played well going in.

The Ravens lost 4 of their last 5 games to finish 10-6, they had been 9-2, thats backing into the playoffs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:36 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

If we start out bad, say 2-6, and finish with a 8-8 record, looking like a strong up and coming team I will be happy..

I'd be pissed off.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:37 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

The Dolphins are & have been a good team for quite some time. Its just that those darn refs have it in for us & the particular design of the football & the way it bounces always works against us. If not for those things we would have a few recent super bowl wins under our belt. I am not making excuses now ... but you know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:41 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I honestly believe this team has the talent to be a post season contender for sure, whether they are prepared to match up against some of the top tier teams is another story.

I think this team will go as far as the coaching staff can take them. RT has talent, and can make plays in various ways. The square peg round hole philosophy in order to "develop" players needs to go. We need a staff that will make adjustments in order to utilize the players skill, not force them to try and be something different.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:43 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I think this team will go as far as the coaching staff can take them. RT has talent, and can make plays in various ways. The square peg round hole philosophy in order to "develop" players needs to go. We need a staff that will make adjustments in order to utilize the players skill, not force them to try and be something different.

I agree and I'll also add this staff must make in game adjustments.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:08 am 

Finster wrote:
Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

:hithead:

Yes, I have the same sentiment towards your posts in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:10 am 

Finster wrote:
Everyone seems to be missing the point

It is more difficult to hit a moving target.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:16 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:
Everyone seems to be missing the point

It is more difficult to hit a moving target.

you were'nt suppose to notice that.

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next