All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6934
Steve Zissou wrote:

Your difference of opinion isn't as much of the problem as the fact that AP isn't around for his children.

Don't make it a personal thing. If any of you are there consistently for your kids you're already a better parent than AP, no matter how you believe in discipline

It does bother me when adults want to use the term beating/abuse when talking about disciplining a child. In fact it is a disservice to use those terms to children who have actually been abuse. Over use of the words take away the meaning of the word. Kinda like calling anyone a racist who is not a Obama fan.

Use the correct term. A switch is not a stick. Yes, both are wood. A stick generally is not bendable, where a switch is. No child has ever been harmed by a switch to the legs/butt other than their attitude.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 pm
Posts: 1997
Location: Lakeland, FL
Dphins4me wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:

Your difference of opinion isn't as much of the problem as the fact that AP isn't around for his children.

Don't make it a personal thing. If any of you are there consistently for your kids you're already a better parent than AP, no matter how you believe in discipline

It does bother me when adults want to use the term beating/abuse when talking about disciplining a child. In fact it is a disservice to use those terms to children who have actually been abuse. Over use of the words take away the meaning of the word. Kinda like calling anyone a racist who is not a Obama fan.

Use the correct term. A switch is not a stick. Yes, both are wood. A stick generally is not bendable, where a switch is. No child has ever been harmed by a switch to the legs/butt other than their attitude.


I mostly agree man. Spanking left marks on my butt every time, whether it was a belt, a wooden spoon, or just the hand. (my poor mom probably wore her arm out on me) & I would never ever call it abuse because she knew how I was supposed to act.

Now when my dad wouldn't stop punching me or hitting me in the head that was abuse. Until I was finally strong enough (well past 4yo) to stand up to him & tell him I will go to members of the church to help us get through this, it wouldn't stop. To this day we have great relationship & I would say he's a wonderful father, he just had one shortcoming.

Where I take exception is the BIble reference. No where in that book does it call for us to be mocking or so proud as to act like one man has everything figured out better than the next. That attitude doesn't resolve or help or even make the world a better place.

I respect your sticking to your convictions but you're not going to undo years of bastardization to morals in this country by firing back at someone who told you to "read a book" haha


& none of you are going to change anyones opinion on the proper way to raise your children when all you're doing is attacking each other!

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:20 am 
Offline
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 am
Posts: 4213
Location: Sweet Home ALABAMA!
Steve Zissou wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:

Your difference of opinion isn't as much of the problem as the fact that AP isn't around for his children.

Don't make it a personal thing. If any of you are there consistently for your kids you're already a better parent than AP, no matter how you believe in discipline

It does bother me when adults want to use the term beating/abuse when talking about disciplining a child. In fact it is a disservice to use those terms to children who have actually been abuse. Over use of the words take away the meaning of the word. Kinda like calling anyone a racist who is not a Obama fan.

Use the correct term. A switch is not a stick. Yes, both are wood. A stick generally is not bendable, where a switch is. No child has ever been harmed by a switch to the legs/butt other than their attitude.


I mostly agree man. Spanking left marks on my butt every time, whether it was a belt, a wooden spoon, or just the hand. (my poor mom probably wore her arm out on me) & I would never ever call it abuse because she knew how I was supposed to act.

Now when my dad wouldn't stop punching me or hitting me in the head that was abuse. Until I was finally strong enough (well past 4yo) to stand up to him & tell him I will go to members of the church to help us get through this, it wouldn't stop. To this day we have great relationship & I would say he's a wonderful father, he just had one shortcoming.

Where I take exception is the BIble reference. No where in that book does it call for us to be mocking or so proud as to act like one man has everything figured out better than the next. That attitude doesn't resolve or help or even make the world a better place.

I respect your sticking to your convictions but you're not going to undo years of bastardization to morals in this country by firing back at someone who told you to "read a book" haha


& none of you are going to change anyones opinion on the proper way to raise your children when all you're doing is attacking each other!


Do I hear the faint sound of John Lennon "Imagine" coming from your area Steve? Do I? :)


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Columbia, SC
Dphins4me wrote:
I viewed the pictures. Looks pretty much typical results from a switch. I had one taken to me several times growing up.


I agree with your sentiments on this 100%. Hell, my grandma use to tell me to go out and get a switch and if it was to little, she go get one.

This is a different time we live in though. You can't discipline kids like you use to back in our time. Maybe that why we have so many young kids with problems.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 pm
Posts: 1997
Location: Lakeland, FL
Coots wrote:
Do I hear the faint sound of John Lennon "Imagine" coming from your area Steve? Do I? :)


Ha!

I'd say I'm closer to the Marley side of the sound. Either way, turn it up, brotha!

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 2159
Steve Zissou wrote:
Coots wrote:
Do I hear the faint sound of John Lennon "Imagine" coming from your area Steve? Do I? :)


Ha!

I'd say I'm closer to the Marley side of the sound. Either way, turn it up, brotha!


"don't worry, 'bout a thing, cuz every little thing, is gonna be alright"

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:11 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6934
Steve Zissou wrote:
Where I take exception is the BIble reference. No where in that book does it call for us to be mocking or so proud as to act like one man has everything figured out better than the next. That attitude doesn't resolve or help or even make the world a better place.
I was kinda making a funny with that comment. He just said read a book.

As I stated. Before taking advice from someone make sure they have a clue as to what they speak of.

Steve Zissou wrote:
I respect your sticking to your convictions but you're not going to undo years of bastardization to morals in this country by firing back at someone who told you to "read a book" haha
Not trying to change anyone's mind. Just want truth and honesty in portraying discipline. I personally do not agree that a 4 yr old needs a switch, but I'm also not going to say he doesn't when I have no idea to the child or actions that lead to that decision.

Steve Zissou wrote:
none of you are going to change anyones opinion on the proper way to raise your children when all you're doing is attacking each other!
Not attacking him, just attacking his post of calling a switch a stick. discipline as beating. A beating is what you referenced you father doing. Anything above the waist is not cool for myself, but there is a reason God gave us padding on our backside.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 6850
So this happened in May and we went all off season into mini camp thru preseason into the season(game one) And they sideline him for game 2(against of course you know who) and now it's ok for him to come back for game 3 :hithead:

Are you #@&% kidding me God-ell....Did Kraft call this in or what?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:43 pm
Posts: 907
the Vikings presser was a joke. Other players charged with domestics got let go right away. AP, he gets let off the hook because he was sorry. Eff that noise. Had the Queens won yesterday, bet you AP is still off the roster right now.

_________________
Miami Dolphins, Fist Pump Like Champions in 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016!
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6934
00xtremeninja wrote:
Other players charged with domestics got let go right away.

Can you provide the names. The ones I know of are still employed outside the railroading of Ray Rice.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:43 pm
Posts: 907
was referring to Vikings players specifically. A.J. Jefferson was cut by the Vikings in November after he was charged with domestic assault. AP gets charged, arrested for child abuse and it's all good as long as he can help the team win.

_________________
Miami Dolphins, Fist Pump Like Champions in 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016!
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6934
00xtremeninja wrote:
was referring to Vikings players specifically. A.J. Jefferson was cut by the Vikings in November after he was charged with domestic assault. AP gets charged, arrested for child abuse and it's all good as long as he can help the team win.

That is easy then. Talent. If you are going to be a distraction to the team, then you had better have the talent that teams want to put up with that distraction.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:43 pm
Posts: 907
Dphins4me wrote:
00xtremeninja wrote:
was referring to Vikings players specifically. A.J. Jefferson was cut by the Vikings in November after he was charged with domestic assault. AP gets charged, arrested for child abuse and it's all good as long as he can help the team win.

That is easy then. Talent. If you are going to be a distraction to the team, then you had better have the talent that teams want to put up with that distraction.


WTF does talent and being a distraction have to with it?! A distraction to the team is going out and getting stumbling drunk every night, showing up to practice and going half speed, but putting up big numbers on a Sunday/Monday/Thursday. Beating the piss out of a kid (and now more than one kid) is wrong, regardless of how talented a player is.

I don't care if he sells tickets, merch, and is an all pro, it's wrong and illegal. Cut his sorry child abusing a$$ like Rice.

_________________
Miami Dolphins, Fist Pump Like Champions in 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016!
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6934
00xtremeninja wrote:

WTF does talent and being a distraction have to with it?!
Everything.

00xtremeninja wrote:

A distraction to the team is going out and getting stumbling drunk every night, showing up to practice and going half speed, but putting up big numbers on a Sunday/Monday/Thursday. Beating the piss out of a kid (and now more than one kid) is wrong, regardless of how talented a player is.
Of course its wrong, but what good comes from cutting him? Another team will pick him up and talk about 2nd chances. Never understood why teams are expected to move on just to allow another team the opportunity to move in.

Buffalo moved on from Marshawn Lynch only to watch him turned into one of the best RB in football.

If a team moves on then they had better be moving on because of moral reasons, not public pressure.

00xtremeninja wrote:

I don't care if he sells tickets, merch, and is an all pro, it's wrong and illegal. Cut his sorry child abusing butt like Rice.
Of course you do not care. You do not have billions of dollar invested in the team. Do not kid yourself, few truly care enough to move on from the team, if any. Rice would not have been cut if he were still a top RB, which goes back to the talent.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:26 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8951
You got it Scot. Corporations sell out everyday in the name of money.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5846
Location: Wellington, FL
Coots wrote:
10acjed wrote:
Give a kid a tap on the butt to let him know your serious is a lot different than multiple welts from being beaten with a stick...

Sorry, but if your stuck in 1925 and hit your kids with switches, you deserve the same.... Read a F'n book on parenting and discipline without violence...


This is the epitome of what is wrong with this country. So the poor kid got a welp or two. Don't discipline your kids, read a book and figure out how to do it the right way. Clearly your definition of violence is a lot different than mine. Then trying to justify and belittle people by telling them they are somehow outdated and ignorant or in your words... "go read a F'n book". That's a typical progressive agenda move these days... "you're outdated, go read a book".

Our society, more specifically the CULTURE our society is creating is about as sick as it gets. We're doomed.



Problem is I respond to a topic, which is about Adrian Peterson and people get offended, and think Im talking about them...

I am not on some island here, AP is not playing, he is going to face a judge... Disagree with me all you want. Fact remains what he did was wrong...

4 year old child with welts from a stick.... Sickening...

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6934
10acjed wrote:

Problem is I respond to a topic, which is about Adrian Peterson and people get offended, and think Im talking about them...


Not sure why anyone would think that way. Must have been in the translation. I'm sure "they are yours" & "you love them" -"Beat the hell out of them" were not directed towards the person you quoted.


10acjed wrote:
Hey they are yours, you love them.. Beat the hell out of them for all I care.... :yay:

My opinion doesnt matter...


You are the one that took things personally.


Last edited by Dphins4me on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6934
10acjed wrote:

I am not on some island here, AP is not playing, he is going to face a judge... Disagree with me all you want. Fact remains what he did was wrong...
Neither is AP.

Maybe he did do wrong. Is it prosecutable wrong? I work with some black man who has provide me with some details of his upbringing. He grew up in a bad area and knowing their mom would beat their arse if they screwed up kept him out of trouble.


10acjed wrote:
4 year old child with welts from a stick.... Sickening...
Just call it a tree branch or tree trunk so one can gain more shock value.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:08 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8951
While Reebok is upset since it goes against their moral code of business. I guess having clothes and shoes made in China with children working in horrible conditions is moral. I believe it's called child abuse. Or Budlight being upset yet their market is hicks who get drunk and beat the eff out of their wives. I love the holier than now BS in the country.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:12 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8951
Now Nike is suspending AP's deal, I guess the children Nike uses in China isn't abuse. Wake up people...


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6934
Makchell wrote:
While Reebok is upset since it goes against their moral code of business. I guess having clothes and shoes made in China with children working in horrible conditions is moral. I believe it's called child abuse.
That is different. No pictures.



Makchell wrote:
Or Budlight being upset yet their market is hicks who get drunk and beat the eff out of their wives. I love the holier than now BS in the country.

A. Foster called them out on that.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:18 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 6850
Quote:
With good reason. Across the nation on Super Bowl Sunday, traffic accidents spike. Domestic violence goes up. People eat themselves sick, drink until their bladders are too full to urinate (trust us: more painful than it sounds), gag and choke on aluminum beer can tabs



ESPN


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5846
Location: Wellington, FL
Dphins4me wrote:
10acjed wrote:

I am not on some island here, AP is not playing, he is going to face a judge... Disagree with me all you want. Fact remains what he did was wrong...
Neither is AP.

Maybe he did do wrong. Is it prosecutable wrong? I work with some black man who has provide me with some details of his upbringing. He grew up in a bad area and knowing their mom would beat their arse if they screwed up kept him out of trouble.


10acjed wrote:
4 year old child with welts from a stick.... Sickening...
Just call it a tree branch or tree trunk so one can gain more shock value.


I call it what it is...
Quote:
switch
swiCH/Submit
noun
noun: switch; plural noun: switches
1.
a device for making and breaking the connection in an electric circuit.
"the guard hit a switch and the gate swung open"
synonyms: button, lever, control, dial, rocker
"the switch on top of the telephone"
COMPUTING
a program variable that activates or deactivates a certain function of a program.
2.
an act of adopting one policy or way of life, or choosing one type of item, in place of another; a change, especially a radical one.
"his friends were surprised at his switch from newspaper owner to farmer"
synonyms: change, move, shift, transition, transformation; More
3.
a slender flexible shoot cut from a tree.
synonyms: branch, twig, stick, rod

"a switch of willow"





As I have said, do what you want with your kids.. Not my problem.. I am commenting on AP, and my feelings on using any object to hit a child with the idea it teaches them right from wrong is dated and barbaric.

My parents talked to me, explained why it was wrong.. When I did not listen, I sat inside and watched my friends play and have fun. Not switches or physical punishment...

Just cause someones mom beat them and they had a tough upbringing does not make it right to continue the behavior for generations to come...
Its called evolution...

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6934
10acjed wrote:
I call it what it is...
Don't confuse synonyms with the actual meaning. Flexible is the key work in that. A stick is not flexible.


10acjed wrote:
As I have said, do what you want with your kids.. Not my problem..
So you only have an issue with it when it happens to kids of famous people. Regular kids being abuse is not something you are concerned with. Aren't you just a basket full of caring.

10acjed wrote:
I am commenting on AP, and my feelings on using any object to hit a child with the idea it teaches them right from wrong is dated and barbaric.
Respect would disagree with you.

10acjed wrote:
My parents talked to me, explained why it was wrong..

Great that worked for your parent. Kinda simple minded to think all kids will respond to this the same way. Just as some kids you could actually abuse would not stop them from doing wrong. Parents have to find what works for each kid. Even kids from the same household can respond differently.

10acjed wrote:
When I did not listen, I sat inside and watched my friends play and have fun.

Watch your friends play? Seriously? Glad it worked on you, because that would have been some sweet punishment.


10acjed wrote:
Not switches or physical punishment...

Again kinda simple minded to think discipline is a one size fits all.

10acjed wrote:
Just cause someones mom beat them and they had a tough upbringing does not make it right to continue the behavior for generations to come...
You have to be a narcissist. You think raising kids is cookie cutter and what your parent did will work for everyone, because it worked on you. It doesn't.


10acjed wrote:
Its called evolution...
Considering the way the youth are growing up. Not what I would call evolution. I do not know when the first school shooting took place by a child, but its becoming more & more common. Yet, we continue to think timeouts work.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 6850
:hithead:

Seriously.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5846
Location: Wellington, FL
Your entitled to your opinion same as me. AP is facing criminal charges for what he did, so if this is the type of punishment you agree with, make sure the cops dont find out..

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6934
10acjed wrote:
Your entitled to your opinion same as me. AP is facing criminal charges for what he did, so if this is the type of punishment you agree with, make sure the cops dont find out..
You have already made it very clear you do not care about kids outside the ones who allow you a soap box to preach on.

There are kids out there who are actually being abused and few care. Oh they say they do, but what do they do to help? Not a dang thing.


BTW, you are the one that took this to a personal level, simply because I replied to your post. Not really sure why you were so emotionally sensitive about someone not agreeing with your every word.

I noticed you fail to respond to hardly anything in this thread other than lashing out at someone who dares to question you. If this is such a emotional topic for you, they why do not care about all kids and not just the ones of famous people?

How did you overcome the emotional abuse you suffered at the hands of your parents punishment? Had to be traumatic having to sit & watch others play for 15 -30 minutes..

Do you have kids? I have already told you how I have raised mine. Heck I've never ( Yes, never ) had to reprimand my 13 yr old son. Not even a time out, so I must be doing something right.

Only had to reprimand my 11 daughter once when she was 5 for back talking her mother after several attempts to discontinue it. So I must be doing something right.

What is the last resort for you or in your case parent if you do not have kids? If a simple timeout does not work? What then? Longer time out?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 6850
:) :)


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5846
Location: Wellington, FL
I get emotional because I see welts on a 4 year old child and it makes me sick... Dont like it, stop responding...



Being you have found a way to raise children without breaking off a switch on the rear end you should tell us?
a smack on the butt and welts on bare skin are two different things.. You wrap them into one...

You tell me you do this to your children and I would report you.

But you dont, you just defend those who do because one time you had to spank your daughter....

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6934
10acjed wrote:
I get emotional because I see welts on a 4 year old child and it makes me sick... Dont like it, stop responding...
I have ask you several question that I am interested in hearing the response. Are you just ignoring the questions or refusing for a reason to reply?

I just think its silly to be overly emotional on the subject at this level.

Can't any form of discipline be spun into abuse ( Mental or Physical )


10acjed wrote:
Being you have found a way to raise children without breaking off a switch on the rear end you should tell us?
I found what works for my kids. Who am I to say what works for your kids? I would break a switch off in a heart beat if I felt that is what the situation called for.

10acjed wrote:
a smack on the butt and welts on bare skin are two different things.. You wrap them into one...
What would you say to someone who views that smack on the butt as child abuse?

10acjed wrote:

You tell me you do this to your children and I would report you.
Its why we have kids walking around who lack respect for their parents or other adults. They have been raised by parents who did not care enough to bust their arse when needed.

Some parents today want to be their child's friend, not parent. As a parent your job is to prepare you child for the world and the world is a cruel world, that will chew them up and spit out soft(weak) people.

10acjed wrote:

But you dont, you just defend those who do because one time you had to spank your daughter....
I do not need to, because God gave me two kids who have grown up knowing I'm their dad and not a friend. I'm not a emotional parent who screams when I'm upset. They know I mean business just because I open my mouth. I do not see the harm in a good arse busting if called for. It should not be the first line of discipline, but to remove it is wrong.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4823
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
10acjed wrote:
My parents talked to me, explained why it was wrong.. When I did not listen, I sat inside and watched my friends play and have fun. Not switches or physical punishment...


So does everyone else operate like you do? That's not fair, everyone is unique, and has a different mental build up than others. Maybe it worked for you, but does nothing for someone else. It's easy to judge someone else without walking in their shoes. You don't sound like you were a problem child, some parents have to use other techniques than just words to get something across to their kids because those kids have more demons inside them and just don't respond or listen. We are all different.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5846
Location: Wellington, FL
I apologize if my responses do not agree with you or your views.. I have personal reasons this stuff bothers me that wont be shared here.

I come here to talk about football, I should have remembered that. But seeing the pictures really bothered me.

Have a good day.. Go Dolphins

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6934
10acjed wrote:
I apologize if my responses do not agree with you or your views.. I have personal reasons this stuff bothers me that wont be shared here.

I come here to talk about football, I should have remembered that. But seeing the pictures really bothered me.

Have a good day.. Go Dolphins

I'm not asking nor expecting you to apologize for how you believe. My objection was you were not willing to listen to an opposing PoV. I'm not thrilled with it being a 4 yr old and AP needs to be told "Dude, not the right choice" as it was not the best approach for a 4 yr old. Especially if he is not in the child's life on a daily basis. Both parents needs to be on board with discipline.

It does concern me that the public is so upset with this, but yet could not care less about the poor little boy in the projects who is having a parent using cigarettes as discipline.

From my PoV punishment needs to come from the parent that is raising the child. A weekend parent is not in the child's life enough to teach behavior. The proper thing that he should have done, is told the child that is wrong and passed along the information to the mother who then could reinforced it on a daily basis. If she agreed with AP.

I'm just not thrilled AP is being ostracized for it.

To think all physical discipline is abuse, when its located on the backside, does not set well with myself consider the moral decay I'm seeing from youth as a whole.

I will say involved parents and a happy home are the best form of raising kids and why mine have been such great kids. Mine have grown up with two parents having more interest in them than other things. No TV/Computers in the bedroom is a major reason. Only thing in their bedroom is a bed and that is the only time they are in their bedroom for any length of time.. If they are home, then they are in a room with us.

Hope there is no hard feeling after this discussion. Peace.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r