Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:41 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
By James Walker | ESPN.com

"Well, it I’m not mistaken, we got the ball around the 15-yard line and we had, up to that point, 48 or 49 yards of offense. I wanted to come into halftime and give our team a chance to get back into the game. I think we did exactly what I was hoping we would do: Not give them the ball back and get an opportunity to make it a one-possession game. That’s what we did."

Philbin essentially lost confidence in his offense and his quarterback. That sent a poor message to his entire team before halftime.

The Dolphins have practiced two-minute drills constantly since training camp, and it's actually an area of strength for Miami's offense. ...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... half-gaffe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:45 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

We were moving the ball, had three time outs and let the clock run out. It was an embarrassing display of coaching.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:47 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I have been pretty neutral on Philbin so far. But this is bad.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:19 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Horrible. 2 minutes and 3 timeouts is an enternity in football. His logic sucks, I look at it as score at least 3 points and go into halftime with a positive attitude instead of "our offense sucks", let's regroup. Philbin is an idiot. Please gogo or go out the door.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:23 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
Philbin is an idiot. Please gogo or go out the door.

Going into the half, a fistpump would give the offense a lift. Instead we put our tails between our legs.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:25 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
We were moving the ball, had three time outs and let the clock run out. It was an embarrassing display of coaching.

He's embarassing to look at and sounds like a moron when he speaks. He looks like a corn farmer, not an NFL head coach.

SELL THE TEAM LOSS!!! FIRE JOE PHILBIN!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:23 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Old uniforms look weird to me now

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:36 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Quote:
I think we did exactly what I was hoping we would do: Not give them the ball back and get an opportunity to make it a one-possession game. That’s what we did.

Somebody get this guy a testosterone booster because this attitude is way too weak for this game.

& he could have even continued to run the ball while using the timeouts. He sounds full of it to me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:37 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I would like to see us wear dual Aqua one week. Our White jerseys looked a lot better after they added the flashy numbers. Not like it matters, but, hey...somethin to talk about other than today's game.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:43 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

But on Philbins quote....he was more worried about us screwing up, as our offense was abysmal, giving them the ball back deep in our territory, and them scoring. And they were legitimate concerns, but I think we should have drove down and tried, giving potential for us to take the lead with a good first drive.

I'm sure Hickey had a talk with Philbin about that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Could it be he had zero confidence in the OL and QB?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:59 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I thought it was a good move. If we started taking shots and we fumbled or they got a INT (which probably would have happened considering how we were preforming) we would all be saying "Why didn't he just go to half time and regroup!!!??"

I don't think Philbin cares what we think no matter how you slice it. He knows, Ross knows, Tannehill knows this is their last season to put it together.

There is not much sense in crying and moaning about the little things. Just watch the 2014 Miami Dolphins and get over it.

Right now, you can say the Pats game was a fluke or... the bills game was a fluke. I'm leaning towards the Bills game being a fluke. I guess we'll find out against the Chiefs.

One thing is for sure, we need to get healthy and stay healthy fast.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:18 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:

Uhhhh yeah. Most definitely.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:27 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Sea got beat by a much lesser SD team on the road. SF got beat at home by the same team that lost to the same Bills team that just beat Miami.

Chill people.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:18 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

1st and 10 at MIA 12 (2:21) (Shotgun) D.Williams up the middle to MIA 17 for 5 yards (C.Bryant,
Two-Minute Warning

2nd and 5 at MIA 17 (2:00) (Shotgun) D.Williams right guard to MIA 20 for 3 yards

3rd and 2 at MIA 20 (1:26) (Shotgun) R.Tannehill right tackle to MIA 26 for 6 yards

1st and 10 at MIA 26 (:52) (Shotgun) L.Miller left tackle to MIA 29 for 3 yards

Should have called a TO even if you are being conservative here.

2nd and 7 at MIA 29 (:19) (Shotgun) L.Miller left tackle pushed ob at MIA 35 for 6 yards

3rd and 1 at MIA 35 (:13) (Shotgun) L.Miller up the middle to MIA 41 for 6 yards
END QUARTER 2
MIA DRIVE TOTALS: 6 plays, 29 yards, 2:21

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:40 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

If Joe wanted to be conservative and run the ball, that is fine. We could have run the ball in the hurry up, or called timeouts on first downs and had a chance for a fg try. There was no reason to not at least try to move the ball on the ground. Buffalo had 1 timeout, they would have taken it to the half had we punted.

I don't know why he didn't consider 3 points there being worth taking a small risk. Did he expect the defense to shut out Buffalo in the second half? 9 points down and ur offense looks terrible, that 3 would have been valuable IMO

Bottom line- They realize what they have at qb. They know he fails time and again at making big plays, so they figured there was a better chance at a turn over then the qb making a great play.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:02 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The team reflects Philben pure and simple. Unfortunately the NFL is not that cerebral and emotion can make up for lack of strategy. Trust your eyes. When the fins play with emotion they are competitive, like when Moreno came into the game vs. Pats. Fact is the Fins don't have enough of those type guys to overcome the head coach who weekly, when the team struggles, makes decisions that reflect a lack of trust in the players. The team reflects a play not to lose personality and I think he has imprinted this attitude on the Coaches and players. So when the going gets tough, the Fins wilt.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:44 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dphins4me wrote:
Sea got beat by a much lesser SD team on the road. SF got beat at home by the same team that lost to the same Bills team that just beat Miami.

Chill people.

The reason I'm here is so I can talk about the team, Thats how I Chill haha I assume others feel that way too

PADOLFAN wrote:
The team reflects Philben pure and simple. Unfortunately the NFL is not that cerebral and emotion can make up for lack of strategy. Trust your eyes. When the fins play with emotion they are competitive

I think thats a big key. This team needs a real Captain.

Tannehill never gets mad . . . I know its an unfair comparison but just try to imagine Marino running out the last 2+ minutes of the half because the coaches told him to sit on it LMAO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:47 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

think thats a big key. This team needs a real Captain.

Tannehill never gets mad . . . I know its an unfair comparison but just try to imagine Marino running out the last 2+ minutes of the half because the coaches told him to sit on it LMAO

The ironic part about it is that the team practiced the 2min drill and the hurry up fast tempo offense. it was a perfect time to use it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:50 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Makchell wrote:
think thats a big key. This team needs a real Captain.

The ironic part about it is that the team practiced the 2min drill and the hurry up fast tempo offense. it was a perfect time to use it.

No joke! I was so excited when we got the ball back cuz Tanne usually thrives in the hurry up. Its great for him & vice versa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:12 pm 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I can almost forgive Philbin when we were backed up on our 12...But once we moved it out to the 30 with about a minute left - no excuse not to take a few shots up field. Especially with the new PI rules in place. At the 40 with :13 remaining, take a shot! Very weak...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:17 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:

Chill people.

Seattle was sandwiched with the Denver game coming up this week. They didn't roll out the most aggressive gameplan and not to mention played in some blistering heat for what SD is used to.

That being said, I don't care what other teams are doing. I only care about what the Dolphins are.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:24 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

:hithead:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:40 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

NFLJunkie wrote:

Good point Junkie. He saw the team come back big in the 2nd half last week. Going 3 & out would have been a further disaster.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:21 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Seattle was sandwiched with the Denver game coming up this week. They didn't roll out the most aggressive gameplan and not to mention played in some blistering heat for what SD is used to.
Maybe, but the fact remains they lost to a lesser team on the road and had help from the refs in doing so.

Rock Sexton wrote:
That being said, I don't care what other teams are doing. I only care about what the Dolphins are.

Seems very few pay attention to the rest of the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:38 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Maybe, but the fact remains they lost to a lesser team on the road and had help from the refs in doing so.

A little perspective here. Remind me again which team has built up some equity when it comes to not over-reacting to a loss ..... is it the Dolphins or the Seahawks?

Quote:
Seems very few pay attention to the rest of the NFL.

Why do I have to pay attention to other teams in order to deflect attention away from a regime that hasn't changed its stripes yet?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:35 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
A little perspective here. Remind me again which team has built up some equity when it comes to not over-reacting to a loss ..... is it the Dolphins or the Seahawks?
I do not know. both are 1-1. Both beat a good team at home and one lost to a lesser team on the road and the other one did not.

Rock Sexton wrote:
Why do I have to pay attention to other teams in order to deflect attention away from a regime that hasn't changed its stripes yet?

To see that the rest of the league is not just a bunch of ESPN Highlights every play. Watched Luck / Noles miss throws last night. Miss wide open Wr 40 Yd downfield. Throw behind a Wr. Watched their Wr go up and make a play on the ball and that passes were not always in the perfect spot. Watched Luck throw a game costing Int. One can find out a ton if they watch other NFL teams & see what is common.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:48 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

This isnt even a talking point if miami storms bavk like they did against new englanda nd they mightve if not for the wind being taken out of the sails with a kick return from buffalo. The armchair coaches need to relax. Imagine if miami had gone hurry up, tannehill gets sacked, fields comes on to punt and shanks it and buffalo gets a fg right before half. The same people calling for philbens head now would be saying "hes an idiot! The offense sucked all half why put yourself in harms way with the punter being so bad?! Just go to half to regroup! Dumb cornfarmer"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:08 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Imagine if miami had gone hurry up, tannehill gets sacked, fields comes on to punt and shanks it and buffalo gets a fg right before half

You can't play scared.

Watched Luck / Noles miss throws last night. Miss wide open Wr 40 Yd downfield.

I saw that, and you're right.

Watched Luck throw a game costing Int

They were in field goal range and that would have put them up 2 scores, game over. Why were they throwing the ball? It was nice to see the NFL's golden boy lose that game by throwing a pick.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:35 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well, on this one, I happened to agree with Philbin's logic to just get out of the half.

Guys, they were DISMAL and Buffalo was manhandling them. They started inside the 12 yard line and with the way Buffalo's front four was owning us, Philbin was realistic to just get them into the locker room and make the necessary adjustments at the half and you know what he did and it worked. Miami owned the 3rd quarter, it is just too bad they went from playing night and day ball and just couldn't capitalize enough.

Then it reverted back to Buffalo taking back over. You can argue Philbin's decision all day long, but the way the Dolphins were playing at that point before the half, I am sorry aggressive or not they were NOT going to march down on the Bills and I sensed something bad would have happened.

My hope is that they put this game behind them and take it to KC on Sunday and change this thing back around.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:12 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Finhead34 wrote:
Well, on this one, I happened to agree with Philbin's logic to just get out of the half.

Guys, they were DISMAL and Buffalo was manhandling them. They started inside the 12 yard line and with the way Buffalo's front four was owning us, Philbin was realistic to just get them into the locker room and make the necessary adjustments at the half and you know what he did and it worked. Miami owned the 3rd quarter, it is just too bad they went from playing night and day ball and just couldn't capitalize enough.

Then it reverted back to Buffalo taking back over. You can argue Philbin's decision all day long, but the way the Dolphins were playing at that point before the half, I am sorry aggressive or not they were NOT going to march down on the Bills and I sensed something bad would have happened.

My hope is that they put this game behind them and take it to KC on Sunday and change this thing back around.

Greg Cote had a good write up on this matter. He said what I agree with: this season is about finding out if Tannehill is the answer. No more training wheels, no more Sherman style coddling...let the guy loose. If he wilts under pressure consistently then move on, give the ball to Matt Moore and start doing your draft research on QBs. The guy led 4th Qtr comebacks and two minute drives last year. It shouldn't be hard for Lazor to design a two minute offense that is different from what wasn't working. Let your YAC WRs catch short quick passes and move up the field.

That decision right there, at least to me, is what separates Philbin from good coaches. Your players won't have self confidence if they see none from their coach. And Lazor was ready for that drive according to his comments.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:40 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
It shouldn't be hard for Lazor to design a two minute offense that is different from what wasn't working. Let your YAC WRs catch short quick passes and move up the field.

That decision right there, at least to me, is what separates Philbin from good coaches. Your players won't have self confidence if they see none from their coach. And Lazor was ready for that drive according to his comments.

If the momentum of that Buffalo game was a little more even keel I would tend to definitely agree with you, but the wheels were falling off all half and they needed to get off the field and make adjustments.

I understand the fans arguments on both sides, but if that game was flowing better I guarantee you Lazor would have threw down field. It just wasn't there and that was very evident to see.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:59 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Finhead34 wrote:
I understand the fans arguments on both sides, but if that game was flowing better I guarantee you Lazor would have threw down field. It just wasn't there and that was very evident to see.

It wasn't Lazor's call, he was planning to go for it until Philbin ordered him to run out the clock.

Its early in the season, its time to see what you have. What if Tannehill hits Landry on a slant, he slips a tackle and has the ball in Buffalo territory with two timeouts remaining? Won't know that unless you try. How was the drive design to start the 2nd half that much different from what they could have done with 2 minutes remaining and a faster pace?

Philbin played this one not lose and as though this game was determining a playoff birth. Can't just test your guys when things are rosy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:01 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
I do not know. both are 1-1. Both beat a good team at home and one lost to a lesser team on the road and the other one did not.

One should never over-react. Over react means you are allowing emotion to rule your thinking.

You know what I was asking. Seattle has built up equity for people to not make too much of a loss at San Diego. We are not even on the level of that franchise. In case you missed it we got blown out in Buffalo last year as well.

As for our Pats game, Brady and Co. are 6-7 playing us in Miami. Our success against them here at home has never translated into anything.

Quote:
To see that the rest of the league is not just a bunch of ESPN Highlights every play. Watched Luck / Noles miss throws last night. Miss wide open Wr 40 Yd downfield. Throw behind a Wr. Watched their Wr go up and make a play on the ball and that passes were not always in the perfect spot. Watched Luck throw a game costing Int. One can find out a ton if they watch other NFL teams & see what is common.

False argument. Nobody, not even myself is assuming games should function like ESPN highlights. Only thing you get from looking around the league is more reason to make excuses. You don't watch every single play of all those other games to make that broad argument relevant enough.

Dolphin fans, trying to find ways to feel good about their mediocrity, that's all I'm getting from you with these excuses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:35 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Makchell you said you cant play scared then turn around and question why luck was throwing it in fg range lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:43 pm 

Rock Sexton wrote:
You don't watch every single play of all those other games to make that broad argument relevant enough.

There are two sides to that coin.

How many times have I heard someone on these forums or another forum talk about franchise QBs not making those mistakes or this guy would never do this or that after Tannehill does it.

They aren't watching every game either to make those determinations.

At least in this case, here is a person who did see another game and saw other quarterbacks making the same mistakes.

Just goes to prove that the "every QB makes those mistakes" argument is valid.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:59 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

We played against Buffalo the way New England played against us. Our special teams drove the nail in the head. Our D, while they did hold to field goals, couldn't keep us in the game at the end. Offensively in the 2nd half, we were movin the ball. More drops which are back breakers, but our D really let us down late. It was 16-10 before the Watkins TD, which should have been a touchback, I agree with Rich. Then we couldn't stop the outside run or Watkins. Then the Landry muff.

Stupid mistakes, and IMO mistakes that we won't make every week. That doesn't clear Tannehill of any of his mistakes, I'm not making excuses here, the outcome we got was relevant to the performance we gave. But as bad as we were, we weren't out of it till late.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:43 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
You don't watch every single play of all those other games to make that broad argument relevant enough.

There are two sides to that coin.

How many times have I heard someone on these forums or another forum talk about franchise QBs not making those mistakes or this guy would never do this or that after Tannehill does it.

They aren't watching every game either to make those determinations.

At least in this case, here is a person who did see another game and saw other quarterbacks making the same mistakes.

Just goes to prove that the "every QB makes those mistakes" argument is valid.

This is the reason that I feel like more of a realistic Fins fan than so many here. Because I don't hold Tannehill to a hall of fame standard, and I do watch alot of other games and I see Andrew Luck make bonehead throws all the time, and I see RG3 stinkin up the universe. Tony Romo and Eli Manning throwing picks at an alarming rate. So many teams are far worse than us.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:47 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

You guys are all over the place with on this topic! I was one of the fans who was pissed about not taking any shots on that last drive but I understood why. I think there was too much time to play safe....more than 2 min, you gotta play to score. Then for us to come out and walk down the field at the beginning of the 2nd half, I thought well the regrouping worked, we got our mojo and our confidence back. But we cant play scared when we are behind. We have to have the confidence and mentality that every time we step on the field we can score

FYI...the INT by Luck, wasnt his fault or a bad pass, his WR got pulled down. Should have easily been interference.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:04 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:

You know what I was asking. Seattle has built up equity for people to not make too much of a loss at San Diego. We are not even on the level of that franchise. In case you missed it we got blown out in Buffalo last year as well.
In Buffalo. Miami has generally always struggled to play well in Buffalo and IMO NY against the Jets.

Rock Sexton wrote:
As for our Pats game, Brady and Co. are 6-7 playing us in Miami. Our success against them here at home has never translated into anything.
So are you saying that for some odd reason the Pats have been they have struggled with Miami in Miami?

Rock Sexton wrote:
False argument. Nobody, not even myself is assuming games should function like ESPN highlights.
We disagree. Just read this board.

Rock Sexton wrote:
Only thing you get from looking around the league is more reason to make excuses.
I guess you are correct. Watching other players play does not provide a scale on which to make rational evaluations. Its much better to be a chicken little at every bad play.

Rock Sexton wrote:
Apparently I watch enough to see games are not ESPN highlights.

Rock Sexton wrote:
Dolphin fans, trying to find ways to feel good about their mediocrity, that's all I'm getting from you with these excuses.
Not once can you find where I said Tanny did not need to improve. Do not blame me for your lack of comprehension. I'm just not 14 yrs old anymore who holds his breath and gets upset when Miami has a poor game. I understand there is sometimes an emotional let down after highly emotional games. I understand sometimes Miami struggles against a certain team. I understand that not every pass is going to be perfect. I understand not every decision will be the best. I understand that it easier to call it from my TV, when I'm not dodging the other team. I understand Miami is still trying to improve and not a finished product.

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next