Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:57 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Quote:
The first occurred on rookie Sammy Watkins' first career touchdown in Buffalo. Watkins caught a pass from EJ Manuel while streaking across the middle, then turned the corner and reached the football out for the pylon.

But did he actually get the ball there? Watkins appeared to bobble the football around the two, then lost it entirely just as he was awarded the touchdown.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/14/percy- ... touchdowns

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:01 am 

I believe the score was 16-10 at this point. If the play is properly reviewed, the Dolphins get the ball back at their own 20 with a chance to take the lead. At that point, the offense had begun having success moving the ball and this play had a huge chance of moving the momentum one way or the other.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:20 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I agree completely Rich. I was amazed that they were lined up for the extra point so quick. No guarantee they wouldn't have scored anyway, but it took all the wind out of the Fins sails.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:24 am 

ytnewton wrote:
No guarantee they wouldn't have scored anyway, but it took all the wind out of the Fins sails.

They wouldn't have scored. It was a fumble out of the back of the endzone, which means the Dolphins get the ball at the 20. That's what makes this lack of a proper review so egregious.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:55 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I thought all scores are reviewed now?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:59 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

So, the argument was that they could not tell on the tapes whether the ball fell out before he crossed the line or not, but they had to defer to the call on the field.

It was a very quick call and they did not do their diligence in calling this play.

To me, what was just as bad was our defense allowing the Bills to march down the field when our offense was clicking. This drive and the terrible call put a knife in our hearts.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:08 am 

Makchell wrote:

They are and some are reviewed quickly, but this one by Watkins certainly needed MUCH closer consideration.

He began bobbling at the 2 and had no control of it once it hit the piling... to me that is a clear fumble into the back of the endzone.

We were down 16-10 when this call happened and it certainly had a huge impact on the outcome of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:13 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

We were down 16-10 when this call happened and it certainly had a huge impact on the outcome of the game.

For sure, huge mometum swing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:18 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:

They are and some are reviewed quickly, but this one by Watkins certainly needed MUCH closer consideration.

He began bobbling at the 2 and had no control of it once it hit the piling... to me that is a clear fumble into the back of the endzone.

I was also wondering if it was going to be a TB, but it was really hard to tell, the actual fumble may have come after he broke the plane, because the plane was clearly broken prior to hitting the pilon, he had clearly fumbled prior to hitting the pilon, but did he break the plane first.

Very tough to tell.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:38 am 

A fumble starts when the player begins losing control of the ball. He started losing control at the 2.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:41 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I thought the same thing myself, ball game out and he did not maintain possession of ball going into the plain of goal line.

d-1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:44 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
A fumble starts when the player begins losing control of the ball. He started losing control at the 2.

He clearly regained possession though, then lost it again reaching for the pilon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:47 am 

Finster wrote:
Rich wrote:

He clearly regained possession though, then lost it again reaching for the pilon.

He did not clearly regain possession. It was bobbling the entire time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:51 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:
Rich wrote:

He did not clearly regain possession. It was bobbling the entire time.

Not from what I saw.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:29 am 

Go look at the highlight on NFL.com and you will see he never re-established control of the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:13 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

It was the theme of the day for the NFL, as they failed to review an even more obvious TD. Sad thing is a ref was looking right at it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:21 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

We jumped on that 4th and 3. Also not called. Bad calls and non calls the whole game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:38 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Perhaps that Watkins call should have been reviewed closer, but what is more concerning is how that rookie just owned our secondary. The way we were playing off of him, we deserved the wrath of his big plays. Maybe next game Miami will actually cover the oppositions best receiver.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:46 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

You are 100% right Rich. I saw it clearly on the replays. The ball was coming out of his hands, when it the pylon he wasn't even touching it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:28 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
ytnewton wrote:
No guarantee they wouldn't have scored anyway, but it took all the wind out of the Fins sails.

They wouldn't have scored. It was a fumble out of the back of the endzone, which means the Dolphins get the ball at the 20. That's what makes this lack of a proper review so egregious.

Yes of course, I need to read what I write before posting it :hithead:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:39 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Perhaps that Watkins call should have been reviewed closer, but what is more concerning is how that rookie just owned our secondary. The way we were playing off of him, we deserved the wrath of his big plays. Maybe next game Miami will actually cover the oppositions best receiver.

Yes, they had an interesting attack on the defense. They kept their TE into block most of the game. They used a back to chip on every long pass on the opposite side...and then they let a couple of guys cross the middle (If you noticed almost every pass was on the opposite side of where the WR took off). Coyle's soft zones require guys to "hand off" coverage once they leave the zone. On many of those patterns you'd see the guy quit covering, ball would get thrown before the other guy could catch up. ... it was a good plan and you can rest assured KC was watching. Miami did very little blitzing last week...which was wierd.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]