Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:56 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
By Armando Salguero
ssalguero@MiamiHerald.com

The Miami coach’s biggest concern, indeed, the Dolphins’ biggest long-term problem might be that one player was consistent Sunday.

One player delivered more or less the same performance this Sunday as last Sunday. And last year.

Tannehill, the team’s most important player, is so far this season showing frustrating consistency in that he has delivered one performance that wasn’t good enough followed by another performance that wasn’t good enough.

And that kind of consistency is bad news for this franchise ...

But if you watched, there were multiple passes thrown behind receivers. There was too much indecision in the pocket at times. And, of course, there was the deep-ball accuracy thing.

And when you consider Tannehill’s quarterback rating of 73.6 was lower than the 81.7 rating he posted last year, and last year was nothing to be thrilled about, you understand there are issues here.

The exasperating thing is that in some respects Tannehill played better against the Bills than he did against the Patriots. He completed a higher percentage of passes and threw for more yards and missed only one deep pass to an open Mike Wallace instead of three last week.

(Tannehill also slightly underthrew Brian Hartline, who ran a square-in and go route and was behind the defense. The play fell incomplete when the throw did not lead Hartline enough and was broken up by a Bills defender.)

The point that Tannehill played in some respects better than a week ago needs perspective. Last week, Bill Lazor was asked about Tannehill’s performance — after a victory, mind you — and the offensive coordinator said, “We better get better fast.”

Well, not fast enough.

And definitely not good enough.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/09/15/4 ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:07 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I agree with most of the article. We have been preaching upside and looking at RT with a different perspective, being objective and giving reasons/excuses for his inconsistancy. Like Lazor said, we better get better fast.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:30 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I wonder if the pressure starts to crack Tanne, at this point is he starting to doubt his ability, I don't know, but he is human, are the players starting to doubt his ability, again I don't know, but like Tanne they are human.

If he starts to lose the team things will go south quickly, the pressure is really on for this game, he REALLY needs to play much better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:40 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Finster wrote:
I wonder if the pressure starts to crack Tanne, at this point is he starting to doubt his ability, I don't know, but he is human, are the players starting to doubt his ability, again I don't know, but like Tanne they are human.

If he starts to lose the team things will go south quickly, the pressure is really on for this game, he REALLY needs to play much better.

Its more than this game. He needs a solid 4-5 game stretch with a few home runs in that mix. I'll grant him a hiccup (Pats like performance) against GB as I think Miami will be playing catch up, but the other four teams are quite beatable.

A stretch like that would build team confidence.

I still can't get over the Philbin decision to run out the clock and his explanation in the press conference today. Even Lazor and Tannehill seemed to say they were not pleased. That right there will create doubt within the offense.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:44 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Finster wrote:

Its more than this game. He needs a solid 4-5 game stretch with a few home runs in that mix. I'll grant him a hiccup (Pats like performance) against GB as I think Miami will be playing catch up, but the other four teams are quite beatable.

A stretch like that would build team confidence.

I still can't get over the Philbin decision to run out the clock and his explanation in the press conference today. Even Lazor and Tannehill seemed to say they were not pleased. That right there will create doubt within the offense.

You're 100% right, but I'm just thinking 1 game at a time right now, but you're right about that.

Also agree with the halftime thing, I wonder if Philfin is losing the team as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:53 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Finster wrote:
You're 100% right, but I'm just thinking 1 game at a time right now, but you're right about that.

Also agree with the halftime thing, I wonder if Philfin is losing the team as well.

Yeah, its impossible to predict 4-5 games out with injuries, personnel changes, etc. Beating KC at home in convincing fashion is a must.

I think its too early to be losing anyone, but those types of decisions add up. Great coaches play to the strengths of their team and show confidence in their guys. Despite the pedestrian play so far I don't think any of us can deny that Tannehill was at his best last year in a lot of hurry up/2 min drives. Something like that could be the necessary spark.

As much as he is the "playmaker" I think a big boost would be to stop scheming it to Wallace. Call plays that allow Tannehill to make quicker throws to other guys and let him relax. Then use a crossing route with Wallace to change it up.

And I fully agree with Mak. Just stop with the deep pass to Wallace for now. Throw it up to Hartline/Matthews/Landry/Gibson maybe once or twice per game. Too much pressure with that play to Wallace for now because its wasting downs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:19 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Finster wrote:

Yeah, its impossible to predict 4-5 games out with injuries, personnel changes, etc. Beating KC at home in convincing fashion is a must.

I think its too early to be losing anyone, but those types of decisions add up. Great coaches play to the strengths of their team and show confidence in their guys. Despite the pedestrian play so far I don't think any of us can deny that Tannehill was at his best last year in a lot of hurry up/2 min drives. Something like that could be the necessary spark.

As much as he is the "playmaker" I think a big boost would be to stop scheming it to Wallace. Call plays that allow Tannehill to make quicker throws to other guys and let him relax. Then use a crossing route with Wallace to change it up.

And I fully agree with Mak. Just stop with the deep pass to Wallace for now. Throw it up to Hartline/Matthews/Landry/Gibson maybe once or twice per game. Too much pressure with that play to Wallace for now because its wasting downs.

Landry looked good on a couple short crossing/slant routes, maybe we should concentrate on that type of thing, a la Pennington, high % passes, dink it downfield if you have to, but Tanne was missing on some of those as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:42 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I feel like the short pass is the way of the NFL anyways. I'm looking at a guy like Brees who attempted something like 37 passes and had less than 300 yards. Get the ball in the hands of your play makers and let them do the work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:49 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finster wrote:

I was surprised to see that we are 5 pt favorites at home going into this game against Kansas City. I know I'm not touching that line this week, that's for sure. Not betting against Miami outright, but I also don't think the possibility of this team beating KC by 5+ pts is that great.

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:50 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Finster wrote:

Can you say David Carr?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:38 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Finster wrote:
I wonder if the pressure starts to crack Tanne, at this point is he starting to doubt his ability, I don't know, but he is human, /quote] I'm do not believe that is a concern with him. My belief he is taking a sack instead of chucking it and maybe turning it over.

Finster wrote:
are the players starting to doubt his ability, again I don't know, but like Tanne they are human.
Why indication are you seeing to even come up with this question?

Finster wrote:

Not a doubt in my mind he is no where close to losing this team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:44 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Armando Salguero wrote:
(Tannehill also slightly underthrew Brian Hartline, who ran a square-in and go route and was behind the defense. The play fell incomplete when the throw did not lead Hartline enough and was broken up by a Bills defender.)
:crap We are talking 40+ yds down field and the ball was almost perfect. You cannot find me one Qb that can put the ball in the perfect spot that far down the field. They throw it up and the Wr adjust to make the play.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:17 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

That play was not broken up, it was dropped. Armando is smoking the good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:40 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Finster wrote:
I wonder if the pressure starts to crack Tanne, at this point is he starting to doubt his ability, I don't know, but he is human, /quote] I'm do not believe that is a concern with him. My belief he is taking a sack instead of chucking it and maybe turning it over.

Finster wrote:
are the players starting to doubt his ability, again I don't know, but like Tanne they are human.
Why indication are you seeing to even come up with this question?

Finster wrote:

Not a doubt in my mind he is no where close to losing this team.

As I said, I don't know, but his placement is bad, it has been bad since college, it's just human nature to question a guy who's not getting it done.

I'm glad you have confidence, but there is no way of knowing this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:54 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Finster wrote:
As I said, I don't know, but his placement is bad, it has been bad since college, it's just human nature to question a guy who's not getting it done..

I would think most NFL players can see there is room for improvement, but understand its not as simple as fan/media want to make it out to be.

Finster wrote:

Right there is no way. I do give NFL players credit for not knee jerking things and understanding that NFL players are not perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:20 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Good enough for what? If its winning then he was good enough last werk but since the article says he easnt last week either than im confused. Is russell wilson not good enough either? Or eli manning? Whats the measuring stick? If its dan marino hen ever won a super bowl but trent dilfner did. So i ask good enough for what?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:22 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It is a darn shame that this is a Henne discussion part 2 Deja Vu.......the mere fact that Dolphin fans have to debate whether or not RT is the franchise QB stinks....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:27 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
That play was not broken up, it was dropped. Armando is smoking the good stuff.

Something is killing the brain cells.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:40 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The time for excuses is winding down. This is year 3. Passer ratings in the low 70's will most likely not give this team a playoff berth. A lot is riding on Tannehill's performance this year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:16 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Finster wrote:
As I said, I don't know, but his placement is bad, it has been bad since college, it's just human nature to question a guy who's not getting it done..

I would think most NFL players can see there is room for improvement, but understand its not as simple as fan/media want to make it out to be.

Finster wrote:

Right there is no way. I do give NFL players credit for not knee jerking things and understanding that NFL players are not perfect.

In year three, it's no longer knee jerk reactions, if he was still a rookie I would agree with you, but this is year three, Tanne is showing a pattern, the same problems, different year, same problems.

No one is asking him to be perfect, but he is really far from perfect, so that doesn't need to enter the conversation, he needs to improve to be average, he is a below average QB.

Remember that the players watch a lot of film, they are seeing in games, and on tape, that he is leaving a lot of plays on the field, plays that could possibly get them more money when their contracts are up, the NFL is a business.

Mike Wallace has received a lot of bad press, it doesn't take a huge leap to say that he holds Tanne at the very least partially responsible, he is known for deep routes, he doesn't catch many in Miami, but the QB has a lot of trouble hitting him, and it's the truth.

How many players are wondering how much money they're going to get in their next contract with Tanne throwing to them?

Like I was saying earlier, it's only human nature.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:39 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
It is a darn shame that this is a Henne discussion part 2 Deja Vu.......the mere fact that Dolphin fans have to debate whether or not RT is the franchise QB stinks....

I'm tired of it and the whole thing speaks for itself. If you're always having to explain, you're losing ....... and that's all most Dolphins fans do when it comes to this subject matter. Just nonstop reason after reason after reason to deflect from the game's most pivotal position.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:43 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Finster wrote:
In year three, it's no longer knee jerk reactions, if he was still a rookie I would agree with you, but this is year three, Tanne is showing a pattern, the same problems, different year, same problems..
The start of Yr. 3. I just want to say I was not an advocate of drafting the guy, especially where he was selected. Things like this is why. We did not have enough tape on him to get a good read on his ability.

Finster wrote:
No one is asking him to be perfect, but he is really far from perfect, so that doesn't need to enter the conversation, he needs to improve to be average, he is a below average QB.
I've read to many comments on him to not think most are expecting perfection on every throw. He plays a great game & I will read how he threw a Int in the 1st Qtr. or how he missed a WR on a throw.

Finster wrote:
Remember that the players watch a lot of film, they are seeing in games, and on tape, that he is leaving a lot of plays on the field, plays that could possibly get them more money when their contracts are up, the NFL is a business.

There is not one player out there playing a perfect game and not leaving many plays on the field.

Finster wrote:
Mike Wallace has received a lot of bad press, it doesn't take a huge leap to say that he holds Tanne at the very least partially responsible, he is known for deep routes, he doesn't catch many in Miami, but the QB has a lot of trouble hitting him, and it's the truth
He also holds responsibility on that also.

Finster wrote:
How many players are wondering how much money they're going to get in their next contract with Tanne throwing to them?
If that is what they are concerned about, then its no wonder they are no improving.

Finster wrote:
Like I was saying earlier, it's only human nature.
Maybe I just do not think that way.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:19 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Too me, one of the most telling stats is the TD/INT ratio. Don't tell me about the garbage pick at the end, a pick is a pick and RT shouldn't be in that position at the end of the game. I think his is 3/2 this season, we will never win if it's close. Look at the journey man QBs out there, most of their TD/INT are almost even and they lose. IE: Josh Mccown, Henne, ETC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:27 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
I'm tired of it and the whole thing speaks for itself. If you're always having to explain you're losing ....... and that's all most Dolphins fans do when it comes to this subject matter. Just nonstop reason after reason after reason to deflect from the game's most pivotal position.

Yep, my thoughts as well Rock. Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:40 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Finster wrote:

I don't think so. he has never really been very tgood at any level. he was 0-6 in college against the only tough teams he played with 6td 6int.

I think he just is what he is. At times Lazor will be able to mask it, but on the whole he just is not very good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:02 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:
I'm tired of it and the whole thing speaks for itself. If you're always having to explain you're losing ....... and that's all most Dolphins fans do when it comes to this subject matter. Just nonstop reason after reason after reason to deflect from the game's most pivotal position.

Yep, my thoughts as well Rock. Ridiculous.

I think most fans want to let the season play out before dumping on the guy. Its easy to just blame the QB when he's not elite. Why not give it half a season before you've made up your mind on Tannehill.

I recall a lot of people on here, even the most pessimistic, springing big hard ons for him after that three game stretch where he had two 4th quarter wins and 9 TD passes. And right as we crowned him the next two games were duds. So why can't the reverse happen?

If he strings 4 great games in a row are we suddenly back on the bandwagon?

I have serious reservations right now. He hasn't looked that good. I even discussed in a few PMs how I thought maybe Miami should target either Derek Carr or Jimmy Garrapolo in the draft. But now that he's the guy this year I'm giving Tannehill at least half a season before I start throwing in the towel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:10 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I think most fans want to let the season play out before dumping on the guy. Its easy to just blame the QB when he's not elite. Why not give it half a season before you've made up your mind on Tannehill.

I recall a lot of people on here, even the most pessimistic, springing big hard ons for him after that three game stretch where he had two 4th quarter wins and 9 TD passes. And right as we crowned him the next two games were duds. So why can't the reverse happen?

If he strings 4 great games in a row are we suddenly back on the bandwagon?

I have serious reservations right now. He hasn't looked that good. I even discussed in a few PMs how I thought maybe Miami should target either Derek Carr or Jimmy Garrapolo in the draft. But now that he's the guy this year I'm giving Tannehill at least half a season before I start throwing in the towel.

I'm waiting 6-8 games ..... but the overall trajectory isn't changing so far and at this point I'm not holding out that he'll flip the switch because there are things he simply doesn't do well, it's not who he is as a QB.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:18 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rock Sexton wrote:
I'm waiting 6-8 games

I think by that point we'll know if it is nerves, early bumps in a new offense or some serious flaws.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:22 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I think by that point we'll know if it is nerves, early bumps in a new offense or some serious flaws.

I'd prefer to switch QB's out at the bye week if he really struggles against KC and Oakland. But I'm trying to be reasonable when it comes to playing under new offense.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:30 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

I'd prefer to switch QB's out at the bye week if he really struggles against KC and Oakland. But I'm trying to be reasonable when it comes to playing under new offense.

If he looks really bad against KC and Oakland then I'm with you on considering a switch. Those defenses are not as good as what he's seen so far.

As I said earlier, I want 4-5 solid outings. Nothing spectacular, just tighten up the decision making and accuracy. Make the easy throws. Build from there. Show that you're currently a top 15 QB trending toward top 10 status.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:44 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

ROFLMAO!!!

This site is great for comedy!!

You want MOORE???

The guy who couldn't beat one single team with a winning record when he started???? And had 6 TOs in his last 3 games???

Stop watching football some of you, including a certain blog writer, it's way too hard for you to understand. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:27 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

dolphinjim wrote:
ROFLMAO!!!

You want MOORE???

The guy who couldn't beat one single team with a winning record when he started???? And had 6 TOs in his last 3 games???

Stop watching football some of you, including a certain blog writer, it's way too hard for you to understand. :)

I do not think Moore is as talented as Tannehill. I don't think either has proven much in their careers.

But look at this question from the HC's point of view. It is week 6 and Tannehill has looked mediocre to bad. The team is 1-3 and staring at a tough stretch of games. The offense isn't responding to Tannehill. Joe Philbin knows his job is on the line and is desperate. Knowing Matt Moore has a fiery attitude and some big play ability he rolls the dice. What is the problem with that? If Miami loses the next few games with Moore then we know Miami never had the correct QB to begin with.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:52 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I do not think Moore is as talented as Tannehill. I don't think either has proven much in their careers.

But look at this question from the HC's point of view. It is week 6 and Tannehill has looked mediocre to bad. The team is 1-3 and staring at a tough stretch of games. The offense isn't responding to Tannehill. Joe Philbin knows his job is on the line and is desperate. Knowing Matt Moore has a fiery attitude and some big play ability he rolls the dice. What is the problem with that? If Miami loses the next few games with Moore then we know Miami never had the correct QB to begin with.

No, nope, you're a hater Jammer with an agenda.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:39 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphinjim wrote:
ROFLMAO!!!

You want MOORE???

Oh yea, we were world beaters before he took over, tell me, how many games against losing teams did we win before he took over, cue the Jeopardy music, do do do do, do do do, do do do do, do, do do do do do...

I'm sorry, the correct answer is... zero.

Ultra convenient to leave that part out of your point...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:33 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

The common problem is the EGO of certain posters who's identity is tied to Tannehill being successful. It seems like it's more important than trying something new which could possibly jump start the team.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:08 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

The common problem is the EGO of certain posters who's identity is tied to Tannehill being successful. It seems like it's more important than trying something new which could possibly jump start the team.

LOL Rock!! Do you really think starting Moore will be an upgrade???? :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:26 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

But look at this question from the HC's point of view. It is week 6 and Tannehill has looked mediocre to bad. The team is 1-3 and staring at a tough stretch of games. The offense isn't responding to Tannehill. Joe Philbin knows his job is on the linke and is desperate. Knowing Matt Moore has a fiery attitude and some big play ability he rolls the dice. What is the problem with that? If Miami loses the next few games with Moore then we know Miami never had the correct QB to begin with.

I think Moore always got a bad rap. Minimal reps with the starters in preseason, thrown in to the starter's role with the same lack of reps and he still delivers. Great touch on deep balls, fiery competitor and seems to be poised. The job is Tannehill's to win or lose this year, but I don't think Moore ever got a fair shot at winning the starting job in Miami....and if we draft another QB next year he probably still won't get a fair look.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:18 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

People always love the backup qb. Matt moore is great for a backup, but thats just it. Hes a backup and always will be. I wouldnt blink at paying him 3-4 mill a year to be our backup until he retires. Qb being the most important position i wouldnt let a great backup go and pretend like the number 2 role is jist a roster spot. That said, he is a backup amd for those that think tannehill is inconsistent, go back and watch matt moores career. Its why hen ever tested free agency cuz even he knows hes ot it made as a backup

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:23 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphinjim wrote:
LOL Rock!! Do you really think starting Moore will be an upgrade???? :)

ImageHeard the same sh*t when Henne was here, especially from you since you made love to a Henne blow up doll every night. The irony is I also scoffed at the Dolphins when they signed Moore. I wanted them to come to agreement with Orton so a real QB battle could take place.

Then it happened. Took a couple games for Moore to get acclimated to the 1's as Sparano stubbornly refused to allow him the chance once he signed in August in order to quell a potential QB controversial.

But the offense responded to him like I haven't see any of our offenses in the last 10 years, not necessarily just from a statistical standpoint, but also on a motivational level. It was like night and day watching how intense Moore was out there compared to RoboHenne. I haven't seen a leader like that at QB for the Dolphins since Marino. Hence why the players love him and they elected him team MVP.

There was no question his teammates responded to him and that's why I commonly talk about the QB's attitude permating through the rest of the offense. Anyone with eyeballs and their Henne doll not blocking the screen could see it.

I mean it's crazy, Knowshon comes in here and changes the tone of his teammates for nearly 6 quarters, then he goes down and it's like they lost their soul out there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:17 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

IT ALL STARTS WITH THE QB!

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next