Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pouncey to the rescue
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:29 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
Mike Pouncey (hip) returned to Dolphins practice on Tuesday.
It's Pouncey's first practice since he went down in OTAs. He'll likely be listed as "limited," but it's a huge step in the right direction. Pouncey is unlikely to suit up for Sunday's game against the Chiefs, but has been targeting a Week 4 return since August. If Pouncey isn't quite right next week, the Dolphins could elect to hold him out until after their Week 5 bye.
Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:25 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'd keep him out until the Packers game and give him that bye week to continue to heal.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:45 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
I'd keep him out until the Packers game and give him that bye week to continue to heal.

Yea, don't bring him back before he's ready.

This is why I was all for him making the roster, so he could gaet back to practice before game 6, even if he doesn't play until game six, at least he's practicing with the team.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:30 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Why do you say he is not ready?

Quote:
For the first time in nearly three months Mike Pouncey got into a football stance, snapped a football, and didn't feel any pain.

The Miami Dolphins Pro Bowl center returned to practice on Tuesday, working with his teammates for the first time since undergoing hip surgery in late June.

According to Pouncey he did "everything" his teammates were doing during Miami's first practice for Sunday's home game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

"Getting back in a groove," said Pouncey, who has started 46 games since the Dolphins selected him in the first round of the 2011 draft. "It felt good to be out there with my football team."

Pouncey openly admits he feels like he could play on Sunday, but then added "it is not my decision," and said he'll follow the medical plan the training staff have for him.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:34 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
The Miami Herald suggests Mike Pouncey (hip) could be moved to guard.
Pouncey practiced on a limited basis this week, but is listed as doubtful for Sunday's game. He's a candidate to move to right guard over Dallas Thomas when healthy, which would give Miami it's best offensive line combination. Pouncey is on track to return in Week 4.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:47 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He's a candidate to move to right guard over Dallas Thomas when healthy

Another bust.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:03 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Throw in some bad moves in free agency too. I think Hickey seems to have a better eye for talent, but only time will tell.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:54 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

If Satele is playing well at center, I slide Pouncey over to right guard.... his college position

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:47 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

'Mando is suggesting putting Pouncey at guard. I'd rather put Pouncey in at center and working Satele at guard during our bye week.

Quote:
Pouncey says he’d like to play in that game (Raiders, Week 4) and believes he can.

But more importantly, he says if the Dolphins need him to play guard as a solution to the team’s epic problems at the position, he would do that.

“I would do it if I have to,” Pouncey said when I asked about the possibility. “I would do whatever the team needs to help us win.”

Pouncey is not pushing to be a guard. He’s a Pro Bowl-caliber center and has been all his professional career — with the exception of time he spent years ago working at guard in practice.

But Pouncey played guard full-time a couple of seasons when he was at the University of Florida and, most importantly, he’s at least open to the switch. To me, the center sets the tone of the OL.

“I am a Pro Bowl center,” he said. “I’d be a Pro Bowl guard, too.”

So the Dolphins might not have the definitive answer to their guard issues. But they certainly have an option.

The team could keep Samson Satele as the starting center and put a willing Pouncey at right guard with Colledge continuing to man the left guard spot.

Suddenly, the Miami line that has been getting very good play from its offensive tackles but not so good from its guards would seem more stable.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:23 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Put your 5 best offensive linemen on the field, and if that means Pouncey at RG, Satele remaining at C, so be it. I'm not sure how Satele would work at RG, and I think that would fit into the phrase we all hear around here so much lately: "Square peg, round hole". Pouncey's college experience comes from playing, and excelling as a guard. From everything I have read, Satele has never been a guard at the NFL level outside a week of his rookie training camp in Miami 6 years ago.

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:45 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Put your 5 best offensive linemen on the field, and if that means Pouncey at RG, Satele remaining at C, so be it.

exactly. Get that line blocking wel, bring back Moreno in 3 weeks, run city.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]