Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
 Post subject: Ronnie Brown released
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:58 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Texans released RB Ronnie Brown.
Brown, 32, appeared in two games for the Texans, rushing six times for four yards and catching one pass for five yards. Houston will move forward with Alfred Blue and Jonathan Grimes behind Arian Foster. Former No. 2 overall pick Brown's career is very likely over. He's just a veteran presence at this stage.
Related: Texans
Source: John McClain on Twitter O

And to think we could have had Aaron Rodgers...Ronnie had a couple good years but over all he did not pan out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:08 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

And to think we could have had Aaron Rodgers...Ronnie had a couple good years but over all he did not pan out.

Add Matt Ryan and Drew brees to theh list too! :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:52 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:
Texans released RB Ronnie Brown.
Brown, 32, appeared in two games for the Texans, rushing six times for four yards and catching one pass for five yards. Houston will move forward with Alfred Blue and Jonathan Grimes behind Arian Foster. Former No. 2 overall pick Brown's career is very likely over. He's just a veteran presence at this stage.
Related: Texans
Source: John McClain on Twitter O

Yeah, but Aaron Rodgers supposedly had more "issues" coming out of college than Tannehill did. So he probably would not have survived in Miami. They would have started him from year one and by the middle of year two we'd be running him out of town.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:06 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Had one of the greatest performances in Dolphins history if you ask me.. Always was a class act here as well.. Wish him well...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:30 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
Had one of the greatest performances in Dolphins history if you ask me.. Always was a class act here as well.. Wish him well...

Yup. I still have my authentic 23 aqua jersey (20 bucks from China, haha) hanging up on my wall.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:59 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I always liked Ronnie, it's too bad about his unfortunate injuries while he was here, when healthy he was a good RB and a class act.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:17 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

10acjed wrote:

I second that! & raise you the highlight video - http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80afaa1c/WK-3-Ronnie-Brown-highlights

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:06 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

King of the wildcat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:50 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
Yeah, but Aaron Rodgers supposedly had more "issues" coming out of college than Tannehill did. So he probably would not have survived in Miami. They would have started him from year one and by the middle of year two we'd be running him out of town.

Yeap. Just as anyone that thinks, had Miami drafted Brees that they would have waited 3 yrs in Miami for him is fooling themselves.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:38 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Why, because he is too short to be a tight end?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:03 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

3 backs got drafted in the top 10 that year and none went on to become great. Thats strange considering runningbacks rarely go that high.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:43 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:
3 backs got drafted in the top 10 that year and none went on to become great. Thats strange considering runningbacks rarely go that high.

It was a really weak draft.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:40 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Ronnie Brown really was not a good running-back, especially when you throw in the fact he was drafted # 1 and the overall second player taken.

Cadillac Williams didn't fair well either.

d-1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:50 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Either did Benson, I believe there were 4 RBs taken in the top 10. I doubt that will ever happen again. RBs nowadays are plug and play. It's about QBs and lines.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:00 am 

dolphans1 wrote:
Ronnie Brown really was not a good running-back, especially when you throw in the fact he was drafted # 1 and the overall second player taken.

d-1

Ronnie Brown was a good running back. He could do it all, excellent pass protector, pass catcher and a good runner.

Was he worth the #2 overall pick? Not when you look at what I think is the best QB in the NFL playing in Green Bay.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:30 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I remember being on the sideline for one of the games and asked Ronnie to give the camera a smile, he did. I asked the same to Jesse Chapman and he ignored every fan there. Ronnie is a class act and I wish him well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:54 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Makchell wrote:
I remember being on the sideline for one of the games and asked Ronnie to give the camera a smile, he did. I asked the same to Jesse Chapman and he ignored every fan there. Ronnie is a class act and I wish him well.

Nice.

d-1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:21 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:

d-1

Ronnie Brown was a good running back. He could do it all, excellent pass protector, pass catcher and a good runner.

Was he worth the #2 overall pick? Not when you look at what I think is the best QB in the NFL playing in Green Bay.

I agree, imagine had we drafted Aaron Rogers, I believe he went low in that draft too, but I thought we would certainly go after Kyle Orton over Channing Crowder?

Crowder did have some memorable games, but lasted only 6 years or so?

d-1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:56 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Makchell wrote:
Either did Benson, I believe there were 4 RBs taken in the top 10. I doubt that will ever happen again. RBs nowadays are plug and play. It's about QBs and lines.

Three in the top 5.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:14 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

If Miami had gone with Drew Brees instead of Culpepper we'd be talking about Brown like we do csonka or maybe even ricky williams. Imagine McMichael, Brown, Chambers, Bookers, Welker with Drew Brees and the defense that Miami had in 05 and 06. We probably would have won a super bowl and 2007 before the acl tear brown was on fire but he was carrying that terrible team dismantled by cam cameron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:37 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Camoron.....The 1st year coach that should have been fired half way thru the season

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:59 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

And Alex Smith who appeared to be a sure fire bust is somewhat striving. Had we taken him at #2 if he were there I wonder how long until we gave up on him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:27 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

FINesse wrote:
And Alex Smith who appeared to be a sure fire bust is somewhat striving. Had we taken him at #2 if he were there I wonder how long until we gave up on him.

One and half yrs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:33 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

FINesse wrote:

LOL! This crowd would have run him out of town in less than 2 years.

No patience.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:04 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I would have run Alex Smith out of Miami. He sure didn't look like the SF franchise in his first 6 years. He never lasted a full season either.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:09 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I keep hearing about "running players out of town" but which QB have the Fins run out of town that was successful?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:50 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Makchell wrote:
I keep hearing about "running players out of town" but which QB have the Fins run out of town that was successful?

None. They all sucked.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:50 pm 

Makchell wrote:

We give up on QBs quickly around here. Guys like Brees that took years to develop would have been considered busts in Miami

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:13 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

We give up on QBs quickly around here. Guys like Brees that took years to develop would have been considered busts in Miami

True, but it seems like we are all right about it since no QBs moved on and did anything. We never had Brees so it's hypothetical. Who knows?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:02 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Brees was considered a bust in SD just before his breakout year....I don't think Miami gives up on qb's too quick...Who do you consider giving up on too fast?

We just haven't invested enough in the position.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:10 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
We just haven't invested enough in the position.

Agreed. IIRC, Miami has only spent 4 1st rounders on a QB in 50 years (Rick Norton in '66, Griese, Marino, and Tannehill). The front office really hasn't dedicated a lot of resources to the position, and a debate regarding the fans "giving up" on QBs who have played here the last 15 years is pointless. All of the players sucked, and sucked bad after signing new contracts elsewhere. If anything we gave them even more time here than their play warranted.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:34 am 

Makchell wrote:
True, but it seems like we are all right about it since no QBs moved on and did anything.

That's because we've had terrible player development.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:36 am 

Kev1321 wrote:
I don't think Miami gives up on qb's too quick...Who do you consider giving up on too fast?

Miami fans do. We ripped Fiedler for all those years and the guy has been the best QB we've had since Marino left. Henne also comes to mind and we're seeing it again with Tannehill.

And we've had a poor player development for a very long time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:48 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Ronnie is back with the Bolts. It is possible that we'll see him on November 2.

Quote:
The cavalcade of injuries in the Chargers backfield has led to a familiar name returning to San Diego. The Chargers announced Tuesday that they have signed running back Ronnie Brown.

With Donald Brown (concussion) and Ryan Mathews (knee) both injured, undrafted rookie Branden Oliver and journeyman Shaun Draughn are the only healthy runners on the roster.

Oliver has been a pleasant surprise this year, but Ronnie Brown offers knowledge of Mike McCoy's system and creditable play on passing downs. Brown spent 2012 and 2013 in San Diego before playing in three games for the Houston Texans this season.

"Any time you can bring in a veteran player with leadership and knowledge of the game is a plus," McCoy said Tuesday. "Ronnie is a team guy first, a great teammate and a true professional."

The news indicates that Donald Brown probably won't be back in the lineup this week. Perhaps the Chargers could break out Ronnie Brown in the Wildcat attack against his old buddy Tony Sparano, now the interim head coach for the Oakland Raiders.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... o-chargers

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:13 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Miami fans do. We ripped Fiedler for all those years and the guy has been the best QB we've had since Marino left. Henne also comes to mind and we're seeing it again with Tannehill.

And we've had a poor player development for a very long time

Henne has done nothing since "we ran him out of town". Fielder is another guy that was a journeyman QB that threw picks at the worse time. Correct about player development, but at the same time, every team does that too. Some players need a change while for the most part, they just fade away once released.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:18 am 

Makchell wrote:
Henne has done nothing since "we ran him out of town".

Well, he went to Jacksonville. Put a guy with his skillset on a team with good receivers and a coach that knows how to develop a QB.

Quote:
Fielder is another guy that was a journeyman QB that threw picks at the worse time.

He was a good game manager and had a ton of heart. The guy was a winner and the Dolphins never got him good receivers.

Quote:
Correct about player development, but at the same time, every team does that too. Some players need a change while for the most part, they just fade away once released.

Not every team does a poor job of developing players. The teams that are consistently competing for a play off spot do not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:49 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I always asked why Saban didn't roll with Goose Frerotte for one or two more years and let Rodgers learn on the bench. But lets be honest, Rodgers would not have developed and would be retired or the next Joey Harrington if Miami had taken him. He landed in the right spot to develop and blossom into a future HOF QB.

Brown was a good player but was drafted at the end of the RB Era in football. If he was a 3rd round pick we'd be doing back flips about his production.

Anyone have a time machine so we can go back, have Miami hire a QB guru coach, draft Rodgers 2nd overall and then trade into the bottom of the 1st round to get Frank Gore? Dynasty? Happiness in Fins Country? Sadness now setting in... :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:27 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Well, he went to Jacksonville. Put a guy with his skillset on a team with good receivers and a coach that knows how to develop a QB.

Well, we will find out of he gets a 3rd chance after this year or the next. Some can play, some can't, and Chad is one that can't. Slow feet, slow mind, equals picks and thrown games.

He was a good game manager and had a ton of heart. The guy was a winner and the Dolphins never got him good receivers

I can respect your opinion Rich, I just look at it from a different angle. He never moved on and did anything great, he was a journeyman.

Not every team does a poor job of developing players. The teams that are consistently competing for a play off spot do not

Yep, Seahawks are a perfect example. 5th 6th rd picks becoming probowl players. I believe our coaching staff doesn't get the best out of our players.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:33 am 

Makchell wrote:
Well, we will find out of he gets a 3rd chance after this year or the next. Some can play, some can't, and Chad is one that can't. Slow feet, slow mind, equals picks and thrown games.

Henne is done, his window closed. But I think with a QB guru and that rocket arm the guy could have been good.

Quote:
I can respect your opinion Rich, I just look at it from a different angle. He never moved on and did anything great, he was a journeyman.

Best QB since Marino. Hard to argue otherwise, especially when you look at the 10-6 and 11-5 seasons... you can throw Pennington in there but he only played one season with us.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:39 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Best QB since Marino

Agreed.

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next