Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:03 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
By James Walker | ESPN.com

Tannehill is 1-8 (11.1 winning percentage) in games in which he has 40 or more pass attempts. 16-11 with fewer than 40 attempts.

This is a telling statistic that proves less is more for Tannehill. It has rarely worked the past three seasons when the Dolphins put the game on Tannehill’s shoulders -- hence the 1-8 record. But when Tannehill is asked to manage the game and reduce the amount of risk involved, the Dolphins win nearly 60 percent of the time.

I’ve said during the preseason that Tannehill’s ceiling is closer to Alex Smith than it is an elite quarterback such as Aaron Rodgers. Tannehill has good athleticism and a solid arm, but there are too many holes in his game to expect him to become one of the dominant players in the league. But if Tannehill is coached properly, surrounded with quality talent and manages the game, you can win with his tools. ...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... -tannehill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:24 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Every QB is a manager to some degree. Rodgers cieling was never high as he was a product of a system. He had the gun and tools to become what he is today. Rodgers changed his throwing motion and got a lot better. RT can do it too. A. SMith doesn't have RTs arm.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:12 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Makchell wrote:
Every QB is a manager to some degree.

Throwing 40 times a game in a season amounts to 640 pass attempts.

Most QBs are not throwing this much.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:30 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm too lazy to look at the moment, but I'm curious what it's like with 30+ ....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:59 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I,ve been saying this since last season. Build a strong ground game and let Tannehill be more a manager like the way Wilson is in Seattle. Wilson takes a few shots downfield each game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:19 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:
I,ve been saying this since last season. Build a strong ground game and let Tannehill be more a manager like the way Wilson is in Seattle. Wilson takes a few shots downfield each game.

This dude knows what he is talking about. We need more like him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:08 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphinjim wrote:
This dude knows what he is talking about. We need more like him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:03 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I doubt any qb has a winning record throwing it 40x a game. The real stat needs to be plays run. If it 40 passes 7 run, then its obvious. If its 40 passes 30 run, then the offense is clicking.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:15 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
I'm too lazy to look at the moment, but I'm curious what it's like with 30+ ....

OK so getting back to this ..... he has a 7-19 record in games where he had more than 30 attempts. That's 26 games of his 36 appearances where he threw that much.

By comparison to Russell Wilson since he is often brought up, Wilson is 5-3 in games with more than 30 attempts.

It's been pretty clear to me for a while now that no matter what any of us think of Tannehill's future NFL career, he's not ready to be shouldering the offense.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:26 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
By comparison to Russell Wilson since he is often brought up, Wilson is 5-3 in games with more than 30 attempts.

A 5-3 record behind a team like Seattle has right now is not that impressive IMO, unfair comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:07 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
A 5-3 record behind a team like Seattle has right now is not that impressive IMO, unfair comparison.

I only put his stats up there because his name keeps getting brought up when it comes to how Tanny is playing.

Regardless, Wilson doesn't sh*t the game away when asked ..... but his team is smart enough to properly manage how often they ask it of him and his winning record when called upon reflects that.

This franchise decided to start a project from day 1 because we ported over his college offense and proceeded to rely too heavily on him 70% of the time. This has amounted to glaring examples of chuck and duck instead of this fast paced passing offense we were promised when Philbin arrived.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:44 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

I only put his stats up there because his name keeps getting brought up when it comes to how Tanny is playing.

Regardless, Wilson doesn't sh*t the game away when asked ..... but his team is smart enough to properly manage how often they ask it of him and his winning record when called upon reflects that.

This franchise decided to start a project from day 1 because we ported over his college offense and proceeded to rely too heavily on him 70% of the time. This has amounted to glaring examples of chuck and duck instead of this fast paced passing offense we were promised when Philbin arrived.

I completely agree, and hopefully the latter will progress soon. This team still has a long way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:58 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Russell Wilson has thrown 111 passes in 4 games.

Marshawn Lynch is his 3rd leading receiver and has caught 3 of his 8 TD passes.

Percy Harvin is his leading receiver and averages 7 yds per catch aka sideways passes.

Wilson has run the ball 29 times for over 200 yards.

Wilson is a smart, mobile game manager who keeps defenses tired and Seattle recognizes the ground game is their strength.

Explain to me why Philbin and Lazor can't use this same blueprint with Tannehill every week?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:31 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Explain to me why Philbin and Lazor can't use this same blueprint with Tannehill every week?

Great question but I think we all know the answer.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:45 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Makchell wrote:

Great question but I think we all know the answer.....

There are no more excuses. Miami has a pretty good o-line and a running game that is working. Whether or not Tannehill will have an Eli Manning-like breakthrough in his new offense is yet to be seen. The Raiders game hinted at it but consider the opponent.

There are 19 QBs with 90+ ratings. With the Seattle blueprint there is zero reason why Tannehill can't be among them and have Miami as a winning team. The next three games are against weak defenses. No excuses.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:59 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Some of what Wilson does is not how the play is drawn up. I don't think Tannehill can duplicate that. It seems as if the use of his athletic ability has been coached out of him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:14 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AQNOR wrote:
Some of what Wilson does is not how the play is drawn up. I don't think Tannehill can duplicate that. It seems as if the use of his athletic ability has been coached out of him.

True. Wilson definitely feels more comfortable improvising and sees the field better. He may actually leave the pocket a little too early at times.

Things are simplified for him, and that is what should be done for Tannehill. Wilson's top receivers aren't averaging a lot of yards per catch. To me that says Seattle runs a lot and creates short third downs for him to convert. Miami has the ability to do that for Tannehill and it will cut down on him having to throw the ball 30+ times per game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:38 pm 

AQNOR wrote:

Tannehill has been coached to hang tough in the pocket and go through his reads. But when you aren't getting good pass protection, you should be going through 1-2 reads and then getting out of the pocket.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:01 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Just to clear up any confusion when I said we all know the answer.... is coaching. I don't have faith in philbin.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:34 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
By James Walker | Tannehill is 1-8 (11.1 winning percentage) in games in which he has 40 or more pass attempts. 16-11 with fewer than 40 attempts.

A lot of offensive coordinators love to pull up a passing play rather than a running play. I don't mind them calling up 40 passing plays as long as they call up 40 running plays, too.

:haha

They key is always balance. You have to run the ball even if it isn't working to keep the defense honest. If a quarterbacks passes the ball 40 times it is easier for the defense as you are playing right into their hands by being one dimensional.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:45 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Makchell wrote:
Just to clear up any confusion when I said we all know the answer.... is coaching. I don't have faith in philbin.

I feel the same...

Quote:
By James Walker | Tannehill is 1-8 (11.1 winning percentage) in games in which he has 40 or more pass attempts. 16-11 with fewer than 40 attempts.

These stats paint no picture of what really happens in a game... Seems like they call the wrong plays but...

Whats the score? Are they having success running the football?

2013 had some pretty weak running stats... .. Mike Sherman sucked pretty bad, but he even saw that running the ball was pointless in some of those games...

If a team is averaging 3 YPC and down by 14, I'd say pass more as well... If the guy throwing the ball cant handle that, find one who can..

Look at the Pats game last year, up 17-3 at the half.. Life was good, "balanced attack" then Brady showed up, put us behind and RT started flinging the ball around to anyone who could catch it... Unfortunately a few of them were not Dolphins..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:50 pm 

10acjed wrote:
2013 had some pretty weak running stats... .. Mike Sherman sucked pretty bad, but he even saw that running the ball was pointless in some of those games...

2013 - We were 26th in total yards but 17th in yards per carry (4.1 ypc). If you're above 4.0 YPC, you're not doing too bad. We were 29th in rushing attempts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:53 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

jammer wrote:
Russell Wilson has thrown 111 passes in 4 games.

Marshawn Lynch is his 3rd leading receiver and has caught 3 of his 8 TD passes.

Percy Harvin is his leading receiver and averages 7 yds per catch aka sideways passes.

Wilson has run the ball 29 times for over 200 yards.

Wilson is a smart, mobile game manager who keeps defenses tired and Seattle recognizes the ground game is their strength.

Exactly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:41 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

It's so obvious and you just always wonder how the coaches can't see it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:55 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
10acjed wrote:

2013 - We were 26th in total yards but 17th in yards per carry (4.1 ypc). If you're above 4.0 YPC, you're not doing too bad. We were 29th in rushing attempts.

Also avg 6.7 per pass, along with 24 TD....

So passing the ball overall we avg 6.7 yards per catch with 24 TD's Running the ball was 4.1 per carry with 8 TD's...

That seems to tell me chances of us scoring were better passing the ball if we are looking at overall year stats...

Again, I think its a foolish stat to focus on, it doesnt take into account whats happening in the game..
17-3 at half vs NE, we lost that game and it had little to do with offensive play calling...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:56 am 

10acjed wrote:
Also avg 6.7 per pass, along with 24 TD....

And gave up 58 sacks and well over 100 pressures (i.e. hits on the QB).

Quote:
So passing the ball overall we avg 6.7 yards per catch with 24 TD's Running the ball was 4.1 per carry with 8 TD's...

You're usually going to average more over the air, but more things can go wrong when you go to the air more.

Quote:
That seems to tell me chances of us scoring were better passing the ball if we are looking at overall year stats...

Again, I think its a foolish stat to focus on, it doesnt take into account whats happening in the game..

The same could be said for the way you're looking at things.

Quote:
17-3 at half vs NE, we lost that game and it had little to do with offensive play calling...

We averaged 4.1 running and 4.0 passing in this game, but here was the playcalling coming out of halftime.

Drive 1
Pass
Run
Pass
Pass
End Around
Pass
Pass
Missed Field Goal

Drive 2
Run
Pass Sack Fumble

Drive 3
Run
Pass
Pass
Pass
Pass

Drive 4
Run
Pass
Pass

5 runs to 12 passes when you have the lead?

And because you decided to pass so much while knowing you have an offensive line that couldn't pass protect, you had a sack fumble that killed all your momentum.

You have to know the strengths of your team and when your team can average 4 yards a pop but has trouble protecting your QB, you shouldn't be throwing more than twice as much as running when you have a lead coming out of half time.

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]