All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:41 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6486
Quote:
...

His version is that the initial accusation was false, and had racial undertones (since the accuser was white). He then denied doing anything wrong to the policeman trying to throw him out of the club, and that the cops were aggressive throwing him out. When he pulled out his phone to begin filming the incident, the cops “became infuriated,” which might explain the way Shelby ended up looking in the mug shot.

Shelby could have avoided the whole thing by getting in a car and leaving. But there are also two sides to every story, and until his trial, it’s unclear which will be heard most clearly, especially at a time of increased sensitivity to football players and off-field violence.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... of-arrest/


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:17 am 
Offline
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:14 am
Posts: 356
Location: Scranton, PA
Of course he does and his story seems a lot more plausible than the cops who needed corroborating paperwork to try to make their case.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:25 am 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:21 pm
Posts: 95
why does his story seem more plausible? we dont know the facts. I'm sure hes a model citizen and this white girl just had it out for him specifically without him doing anything. And im sure he was complying completely and the cops went bat :crap on him. anything is possible but most people would tell a story making themselves look better and the officers look bad when they do something so stupid.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26284
Location: Miami, FL
Hazard wrote:
anything is possible but most people would tell a story making themselves look better and the officers look bad when they do something so stupid.


But cops never cross the line when it comes to exercising their "authority" on the citizenry...

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:28 am 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8989
His version is that the initial accusation was false, and had racial undertones

Of course it's racial.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:33 am 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:21 pm
Posts: 95
of course they do, and it has been proven many times via video or 3rd party accounts that they do. but at the same time there are plenty of times where people take advantage of these cases and make false accusations against the officers; or their friends or people who feel a certain affinity to someone makes up bogus eye witness reports and people eat it up. i.e. the Ferguson Missouri thing.

Plenty of bad cops out there that make it difficult to believe the truth when a good cop does his job right. but there are still plenty of good cops too.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26284
Location: Miami, FL
Hazard wrote:
of course they do, and it has been proven many times via video or 3rd party accounts that they do. but at the same time there are plenty of times where people take advantage of these cases and make false accusations against the officers; or their friends or people who feel a certain affinity to someone makes up bogus eye witness reports and people eat it up. i.e. the Ferguson Missouri thing.

Plenty of bad cops out there that make it difficult to believe the truth when a good cop does his job right. but there are still plenty of good cops too.


Well on the face of it, there are discrepancies here. He was tazed three times and has a black eye and a fat lip, but there was no fight according to the cops and he was only resisting without violence?

Why is a guy who was resisting WITHOUT violence tazed THREE times and has injuries on his face?

It doesn't add up.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:01 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:21 pm
Posts: 95
its absolutely suspect. Could it be possible he did resist and his celebrity status, especially in the town he plays for, got him off a bit easier? unfortunately we shall never know unless cold facts come out.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:02 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:21 pm
Posts: 95
I mean, with all the crap that goes on these days and everything getting filmed on cameras left and right you would think police officers wouldn't taze and beat a man for no reason. but then again the level of stupidity in some news stories hits me almost every day so who knows.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26284
Location: Miami, FL
Well we just had cops taze and drag a man out of the passenger seat of his car, with his kids in the back seat, because the family's grandmother was dying in the hospital and they were rushing to be by her side and the dude didn't have his license.

Police are becoming more belligerent and militarized.

What about the guy that got stopped at a gas station, was asked to get out of his car and he did, then the cop asked him for his license so the guy turned around to grab his license out of his car and the cop shot him. It seems like everyday there is a new story about cops crossing the line on the citizenry.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 15699
Location: Raleigh, NC
America is becoming the place where the media puts their spin on morality and pressures a judgement of guilty before the evidence is produced. Isn't he supposed to be innocent until proven guilty? Why did the Dolphins suspend him?

_________________
Follow me on Facebook - Phinfever - Miami Dolphins Fan Site @BigDavePhinfever

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever


Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:46 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:22 am
Posts: 13
Big Dave wrote:
America is becoming the place where the media puts their spin on morality and pressures a judgement of guilty before the evidence is produced. Isn't he supposed to be innocent until proven guilty? Why did the Dolphins suspend him?


BC of media pressure on the "violent culture" of the NFL.. Overlord Goddell would have suspended him anyway without facts.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:50 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8989
Funny thing about the media is that they pick and choose. They wait for facts before they call a terrosist attack what it is but in this case, everyone gets suspended before facts come out.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:40 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10489
Location: MA
Rich wrote:
Police are becoming more belligerent and militarized.


Need to be careful with a comment like this. The internet and social media just make instances of knuckleheads on power trips more available to the rest of us. Unless there is documented evidence of a spike in police brutality cases over the last 5 years that I am unaware of I'm willing to bet some bad situations are the norm.

I have very close friendships with a lot of state troopers. An immediate family member spent a 7 years in tactical operations for them. The crap they deal with and the comments spit at them on almost a daily basis are insane. While its not a career they were forced into we should still recognize that they deal with more crap in one month than most of us will in a lifetime.

Don't want to say we can't be critical but I just caution against using a broad brush.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5852
Location: Wellington, FL
OJ had his side of the story too....

:haha


Ive met plenty of nice friendly helpful police officers... I have also met plenty of power tripping a-holes in uniform...
I dont base my overall judgement on a group of people based on a few of them...
Many cops are just trying to help.. I have been here for many years, spent my early 20's in the bars and clubs of Ft Laud.. If your cool and respectful, they leave you be 95% of the time...

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 4:56 pm
Posts: 6865
I was reading this thread when this story came on the news :haha
Quote:
By EMERY P. DALESIO
The Associated Press
FUQUAY-VARINA, N.C. — Police mistook a black teenager for a burglar and pepper-sprayed him inside the home of his white foster parents.
It was Monday afternoon when 18-year-old DeShawn Currie came home from school and went up to his room. Unknown to him, a neighbor thought they saw something amiss in a neighborhood of mostly modest brick ranch homes that's had a run of crimes lately. Police were called. A possible burglary in progress.
The three officers dispatched to investigate found the side door ajar and walked in, guns drawn.
Barefoot and dressed in a tank-top and shorts, Currie came downstairs and met them in the dining room.
Not knowing if Currie was a burglar, whether he was armed or who else was in the house, an officer barked orders. Currie tried to explain this was his home. They told him to shut up.
"I did everything that they asked," said Currie, who is about 5-foot-8 and 200-pounds. "I was calm and being compliant with them until something happened."
One of the officers noted the faces of three small white children in the family photos on the mantel. Currie is black.



http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/nationa ... ng-/nhfjc/


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:17 am 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:21 pm
Posts: 95
Again with the story about the cops thinking the resident broke in.. it reminds me of the Oakland firefighter trying to get a cop fired for racial profiling but his body camera told a completely different story. This may be the same. Well never know til all the facts r on the table. And we hear about only the bad offices when hundreds of thousands of officets do the right thing every day and there's never stories about them because they won't sell

Its definitely a tricky subject and an interesting argument on both sides


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26284
Location: Miami, FL
jammer wrote:
The internet and social media just make instances of knuckleheads on power trips more available to the rest of us.


I don't get my news from social media unless its Dolphins beat writers. I hardly use Twitter and have never tweeted.

All we need to do is look at how cops are being equipped today and to see how many cases of family's lives being turned upside down due to an erroneous and illegal search and seizure to know this is true.

State troopers are on a different rung anyway. And yes, there are good cops and yes they are in a dangerous line of work.

But a citizen going to Internal Affairs to report a cop abusing his power is an exercise in futility.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26284
Location: Miami, FL
10acjed wrote:
Ive met plenty of nice friendly helpful police officers...


Oh, you're the one.

Quote:
I have also met plenty of power tripping a-holes in uniform...


95% of the cops I have met or seen fit under this description.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 15699
Location: Raleigh, NC
Thank you, Barry Jackson. I'm plenty pissed about his suspension and it isn't because we could use him during the game. I think the media and fans just cannot get over Rice knocking his wife out and then dragging her out of the elevator. These are two different incidences, and we've always seen there is another story that comes out about it.

Barry Jackson wrote:
### Whereas the Vikings are paying Adrian Peterson (facing felony child abuse charges) while on suspension, the Dolphins aren’t paying Derrick Shelby, who was charged with resisting arrest (a misdemeanor), while he serves his team-imposed suspension, a decision which seems rather punitive and arbitrary considering the case hasn't been adjudicated.

One teammate questioned that, adding it’s easy to banish a role player and that the team needs a set policy on arrests to remove any perception about key players being treated differently from others. Joe Philbin said the Dolphins have no arrest policy and that he instead prefers to take it case by case.


Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

_________________
Follow me on Facebook - Phinfever - Miami Dolphins Fan Site @BigDavePhinfever

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever


Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 15699
Location: Raleigh, NC
Rich wrote:
10acjed wrote:
Ive met plenty of nice friendly helpful police officers...


Oh, you're the one.

Quote:
I have also met plenty of power tripping a-holes in uniform...


95% of the cops I have met or seen fit under this description.


I stand behind the police, but there is no way that they cannot help but get a certain attitude when it comes to arresting people for the same crimes. It is human, and they have to get frustrated with the same old, same old. They are out risking their lives and they have to deal with attitudes on a daily basis. I'm not sure how they can stay "fair" .

_________________
Follow me on Facebook - Phinfever - Miami Dolphins Fan Site @BigDavePhinfever

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever


Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26284
Location: Miami, FL
How does that explain them being dicks during a traffic stop? Why do so many cops get to a red light, turn on their lights, cross the intersection and then turn the lights off once they cross? Why do they feel the need to block an entire lane and cause traffic while pulling someone over for a rolling stop at an intersection that had no other traffic? Why do they pull people over for no reason and then when the person asks why they are being pulled over they say they don't have to tell you why?

I mean, I get them going into a rough neighborhood with gangs and drugs and needing to have a certain disposition, but they don't just reserve it for those situations.

I'll give you a personal example that has absolutely nothing with me doing something illegal... the other day I was picking up someone from the airport and I stopped in what I thought was a section where you can park and wait. There were no signs indicating one way or the other and there were other cars stopped. This cop walks over to my car first, even though I am the last one in line and tells me I can't stop there. So I responded "Oh ok, I didn't know" and he responds "well you should have known".

Maybe it is a Miami thing or a big city thing, but almost every experience I have with a cop, they act like arrogant butthole.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:10 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 7869
Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Truer words were never spoken. When a cop pulls you over and you don't have video rolling or a witness...it is your word against theirs and theirs wins in court every time. I support the police but have actually had a cop make me put my hands out the window in the air all because I ran a red light. It was one of those double lights where they were about 50ft apart... I ran the 2nd one. I just remember how humiliating that was. I've also been told to get out of my car while the police let a dog inside my newly cleaned car to "sniff"... dog was all over the seats.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:21 am 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:25 pm
Posts: 130
Quote:
I have also met plenty of power tripping a-holes in uniform...


Quote:
95% of the cops I have met or seen fit under this description.


Maybe its your attitude and the way you interact with them.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26284
Location: Miami, FL
dolfan91 wrote:
Maybe its your attitude and the way you interact with them.


Or maybe most of them are just butthole.

Most of these incidents have not involved me interacting with the cops. I gave detailed examples of things I have seen which were completely unwarranted. I can give a whole bunch more.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:51 am 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 2904
I've seen some of that also, but I've also been close friends with some great guys that were cops. I agree with this:

jammer wrote:
Don't want to say we can't be critical but I just caution against using a broad brush.


In my experience there is a huge difference between how cops do their jobs from one region to another; city vs. rural, north vs. south. Culture plays a part. My 2 cents, if it's worth that.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26284
Location: Miami, FL
k-dash wrote:
In my experience there is a huge difference between how cops do their jobs from one region to another; city vs. rural, north vs. south. Culture plays a part. My 2 cents, if it's worth that.


Right, that's why I said in my case maybe it is a Miami thing or a big city thing.

I'm sure if I lived in Podunk, Arkansas and my neighbor was a cop I'd have a different impression of law enforcement.

I live in Miami, where cops have been accused of running underaged prostitution rings, murder and drug trafficking to summarize a long list, not to mention the butthole things I see cops doing on a daily basis, which I mentioned in a previous post.

The only friend I have that was a cop quit because he couldn't handle the lack of integrity he saw while working in Internal Affairs.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:07 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:25 pm
Posts: 114
Location: Middleboro, MA
I generally support our law enforcement officers and believe that the vast majority are decent and do a good job. There are however cops that are butt holes and abuse their power. To me it does not matter how tough the job is and how much crap they see, I do not give them a pass for overstepping their bounds when it comes to law abiding citizens. They carry a badge and a gun and with that goes a huge responsibility. One mistake on their part significantly affects the life of another person. There is zero margin for error in my opinion.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26284
Location: Miami, FL
I believe this happened on the same night Shelby was arrested and at the same location. A guy gets arrested for using his own credit card and loses $1000 trying to bail out of jail when he should have never even been arrested.

Yeah, sorry I don't give cops the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Don Marcani and his friend Marko went to Cyn last week and said they used their credit cards to pay for drinks at the bar. The duo then decided to go into the VIP section.

“At the VIP section, she took my credit card, too my ID, brought the bottle service out and after a while, she came back out and she told me, ‘Your credit card is declined,’ and I said, ‘that’s impossible,’” said Marcani.

Cyn’s official business name is still “Off the Hookah,” and Marcani’s credit card bill showed his Wells Fargo card paid $80 for drinks earlier in the evening, but when it came to the $600 VIP, the company declined the charge.

Marcani said he then tried a Capital One card he used earlier in the evening, but it too was declined. Marko then tried multiple times on the card he had used earlier in the club, but none of them went through either.

“The club manager called my bank and gave me the phone to talk to the bank and that’s when the cop interfered and I think he said, ‘I’m tired of this *expletive*,” Marcani said. “We even told them, walk us, escort us to the ATM machine.”

According to Marcani, the officer arrived at 3:49 a.m. and he was taken into custody a few minutes later on a charge of grand theft. Marcani was handcuffed and taken to the Broward County Jail.

“I should not have been arrested,” Marcani said. “There’s no reason why this happened to me.”

Marcani said that at 3:57 a.m., just a few minutes after the officer was on scene and arrested him, Capital One was emailing him asking him to authorize the $600 charge. But, Marcani said there was no way he could see the email because police had confiscated his smart phone.

While the credit card wasn’t usable at the nightclub, when the Broward County Jail ran a charge for more than $1,000 for bond the next morning, the charge was approved and Marcani was sprung from the lockup.

“It wasn’t accepted at the nightclub, but I used that credit card to get out of jail,” Marcani said.

Fort Lauderdale Police told NBC 6’s Willard Shepard that they couldn’t respond to the allegations and the State Attorney’s Office said they don’t talk about pending cases. Marcani’s lawyer, David Edelstein, said this was a wake-up call for everyone.

“I think we are all used to getting those emails from credit card companies saying, ‘Hey, did you authorize this charge?” Edelstein said. “Now, we have to worry about getting arrested for using our own credit card.”


http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Cred ... 08271.html

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:26 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 7869
Rich wrote:
dolfan91 wrote:
Maybe its your attitude and the way you interact with them.


Or maybe most of them are just butthole

Most of these incidents have not involved me interacting with the cops. I gave detailed examples of things I have seen which were completely unwarranted. I can give a whole bunch more.


Or maybe they're human and are having a bad day... but I get it. That's why I think all cops need to where cameras. I think it makes them accountable and also protects them as well.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:29 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 7869
k-dash wrote:
I've seen some of that also, but I've also been close friends with some great guys that were cops. I agree with this:

jammer wrote:
Don't want to say we can't be critical but I just caution against using a broad brush.


In my experience there is a huge difference between how cops do their jobs from one region to another; city vs. rural, north vs. south. Culture plays a part. My 2 cents, if it's worth that.


No first hand experience but when I grew up in the rural South if you mouthed off... you'd have a nightstick upside the head and Rin Tin Tin chewing on your shin :haha


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:37 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:25 pm
Posts: 130
Rich wrote:
dolfan91 wrote:
Maybe its your attitude and the way you interact with them.


Or maybe most of them are just butthole

Most of these incidents have not involved me interacting with the cops. I gave detailed examples of things I have seen which were completely unwarranted. I can give a whole bunch more.


Maybe most of them are like that because there tired of people treating them like trash when they get pulled over for breaking the law. You obviously have your negative position on cops which is within your rights. I just feel you just use the negative cop stereotype and the negative stories that are produced to justify you reason about all cops which isn't accurate. The fact is you have posted all these articles about bad cops, you can find negative articles about employees abusing there power in any profession. Do you think all teachers have sex with there students because theres a whole bunch of articles on that I could pull up. The majority of cops dont get in the paper because there doing there job well and fairly.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:37 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 7869
This cop asks the guy for his license and registration then when the guy leans into the truck to get it the cop freaks out and starts shooting. Needless to say the cop went to jail but the dude got shot... for a freaking traffic violation, was in a very public place and appeared compliant.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:42 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 7869
Quote:
Maybe most of them are like that because there tired of people treating them like trash when they get pulled over for breaking the law. You obviously have your negative position on cops which is within your rights. I just feel you just use the negative cop stereotype and the negative stories that are produced to justify you reason about all cops which isn't accurate. The fact is you have posted all these articles about bad cops, you can find negative articles about employees abusing there power in any profession. Do you think all teachers have sex with there students because theres a whole bunch of articles on that I could pull up. The majority of cops dont get in the paper because there doing there job well and fairly.


We are the sum of our experiences whether we like it or not. I have police officers in the family and respect what they do. In most traffic stops I've been treated matter of factly which is the norm. But due to the way I look, I have been asked to leave the car or put my hands out the window, or in one case at a road side check point simply had my rights violated by having a dog go through my car... all for no reason. These types of things stay with you.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:45 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8989
Dang, I feel bad for that dude.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26284
Location: Miami, FL
dolfan91 wrote:
You obviously have your negative position on cops which is within your rights. I just feel you just use the negative cop stereotype and the negative stories that are produced to justify you reason about all cops which isn't accurate.


I have a negative opinion about cops because of how I have seen them act towards me and other law abiding citizens the majority of the time, not because of any stereotypes or stories. I never said ALL cops are bad, so I would appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth or make assumptions about how I formalized my opinions. You haven't been in my shoes so it isn't your place to tell me why I think the way I think. That's absolutely ridiculous on your part.

Quote:
The majority of cops dont get in the paper because there doing there job well and fairly.


This is a huge assumption on your part.

Cops don't get in the paper for treating people like crap during traffic stops or for taking red lights because they have lights on their cars, so there's a big hole in your argument.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26284
Location: Miami, FL
To throw some statistics out there, according to National Police Misconduct Statistics and Reporting Project, 1 in every 4.7 officers, or 21%, will be implicated in an act of misconduct at some point in their career.

That doesn't mean all 21% are guilty of the accusation, but that also doesn't mean that 100% of those cops engaging in misconduct are implicated at some point in their career.

The 21% implicated in an act of misconduct do not include officers that are unnecessarily rude to citizens because this is not misconduct. It's just being a dick to someone for no reason other than "hey, I am a cop so I can be a dick to someone". Obviously, there is no empirical way to identify the percentage of police officers that are unnecessarily rude to the citizens. But the fact that we have a starting point of roughly 21% engaging in an act of misconduct should be pretty revealing.

Types of misconduct include false confession, false arrest, falsified evidence, false imprisonment, intimidation, police brutality, police corruption, racial profiling, surveillance abuse, and off-duty misconduct. Others include:

Noble cause corruption, where the officer believes the good outcomes justify bad behavior
Selective enforcement (knowledge and allowances of violations by friends, family and/or acquaintances unreported)
Abuses of power (using badge or other ID to gain entry into concerts, to get discounts, etc.)
Police perjury (blatant lying under oath and/or to other authorities to cover wrongdoing)
Influence of drugs and/or alcohol while on duty
Violations by officers of police procedural policies

I wonder how many incidents of police misconduct never go reported. I would be willing to guess it is more than the 21% that do get reported.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6486
Quote:
A police officer in Calhoun County is getting some well-deserved praise today for what happened after he pulled over a woman.

Her five-year-old daughter wasn't riding in a car seat. She told the policeman that she'd fallen on hard times and couldn't afford one. So instead of writing a ticket, Officer Ben Hall told her to meet him at the Walmart nearby. And that's when he brought the woman a new booster seat.

"A ticket doesn't solve the situation," Officer Hall said. " What solves it, is the child being in a booster seat like she should be. Easiest $50 I've ever spent."

The woman said this changed her life, ans that she is going to pay it forward when she gets back on her feet.


http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/Poli ... 63691.html


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6486
Quote:
Deputy Sheriff Mike Naylor was shot and killed as he and other deputies served a warrant on a child sexual predator at a home on the 3800 block of North County Road 1247.

Read more: http://www.odmp.org/#ixzz3Fmasq9OC


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6486
Quote:
There are more than 900,000 sworn law enforcement officers now serving in the United States, which is the highest figure ever. About 12 percent of those are female.

According to the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports, an estimated 1.2 million violent crimes occurred nationwide in 2011, a four percent decrease from 2010.

Crime fighting has taken its toll. Since the first recorded police death in 1791, there have been over 20,000 law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty. Currently, there are 20,267 names engraved on the walls of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial.

A total of 1,501 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty during the past 10 years, an average of one death every 58 hours or 150 per year. There were 100 law enforcement officers killed in 2013.

On average, over the last decade, there have been 58,261 assaults against law enforcement each year, resulting in 15,658 injuries.


http://www.nleomf.org/facts/enforcement/


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 33 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r