All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:18 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

AQNOR, what is the point of posting those articles?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:18 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Information.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:52 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
I have a negative opinion about cops because of how I have seen them act towards me and other law abiding citizens the majority of the time, not because of any stereotypes or stories. I never said ALL cops are bad, so I would appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth or make assumptions about how I formalized my opinions. You haven't been in my shoes so it isn't your place to tell me why I think the way I think. That's absolutely ridiculous on your part.

You did state the "majority of cops are" so you might as well have. No i haven't been in your shoes but i've seen plenty of good cops injured trying to help others just to be treated like crap. So it bothers me when i hear people constantly bash law enforcement. But you're right i worded that poorly. So i'll apologize if i offended you.

Quote:
The majority of cops dont get in the paper because there doing there job well and fairly.

This is a huge assumption on your part.

Cops don't get in the paper for treating people like crap during traffic stops or for taking red lights because they have lights on their cars, so there's a big hole in your argument.[/quote]

Why would they for that? People treat people like crap in all kinds of jobs. How many times have you been to a store and had a rude employee try to help you. I've never been treated with attitude by law enforcement personally.

As for the whole red light thing yea it happens but being a volunteer firefighter myself sometimes it looks way worse than it is. Every now and than i'll be at a redlight get a call from dispatch and than a few seconds later it gets cancelled. Which makes it look like you just blew the light when in reality your call just got cancelled. Obviously that's not always the case but I'm just trying to throw that out there because i've only see a cop blow a light like that once in my life. And i've had the above situation happen to me more times than i can count.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:32 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

NFLJunkie wrote:
This cop asks the guy for his license and registration then when the guy leans into the truck to get it the cop freaks out and starts shooting. Needless to say the cop went to jail but the dude got shot... for a freaking traffic violation, was in a very public place and appeared compliant.
Everyone just needs to remember that the next time they drive to South Carolina that they take their seat belt law seriously.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:34 am 

AQNOR wrote:
Information.

I think we are all aware that there are good cops. No one is disputing that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:39 am 

dolfan91 wrote:
You did state the "majority of cops are" so you might as well have.

Again putting words in my mouth. I said 95% of the cops I have come across. I also said in another post that it could be a regional thing. I live in a big city and Miami cops aren't the cream of the crop. In fact, a report came out last night that the city has arrest and traffic stop quotas for cops and the Miami PD admitted it. Basically, each cop has to have a certain number of arrests and traffic stops a month to keep their job. Doesn't this put officers in the position of committing false imprisonment or false charges?

Quote:
Why would they for that? People treat people like crap in all kinds of jobs.

Ok, but that goes back to my point of 95% of the cops I have come across being butthole

Quote:
As for the whole red light thing yea it happens but being a volunteer firefighter myself sometimes it looks way worse than it is. Every now and than i'll be at a redlight get a call from dispatch and than a few seconds later it gets cancelled. Which makes it look like you just blew the light when in reality your call just got cancelled. Obviously that's not always the case but I'm just trying to throw that out there because i've only see a cop blow a light like that once in my life. And i've had the above situation happen to me more times than i can count.

I see it happen on a weekly basis. I doubt they had a call and had it cancelled that many times.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:40 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
I think we are all aware that there are good cops. No one is disputing that.

One thing people need to remember is that cops deal with 5% of the population 95% of the time & 95% of the population 5% of the time.

Yes, there are bad cops out there & yes racial profiling happens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:07 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
Basically, each cop has to have a certain number of arrests and traffic stops a month to keep their job. Doesn't this put officers in the position of committing false imprisonment or false charges?

That is one way of looking at it. But the quotas are in place so that cops are actually forced to do their jobs and not look the other way (easy way out, laziness) and to make people realize there are consequences for their actions, even if it is something as minor as speeding.

This isn't directed at you Rich, but what are we all trying to prove here? My only point in this conversation was not to paint with a broad brush. Everyone understands there are good and bad in every walk of life - region, profession, race, religion, etc. I think the best comment made was that we are shaped by our experiences.

Maybe Shelby is guilty, maybe he isn't. Maybe the cops roughed him up, maybe they didn't. There could be truths and falsities in each version of the story.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:42 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
But the quotas are in place so that cops are actually forced to do their jobs and not look the other way (easy way out, laziness) and to make people realize there are consequences for their actions, even if it is something as minor as speeding.

Seriously, from what I've seen it shouldn't be hard to make quotas. People seem to be doing the wrong thing all the time ... especially speeding.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:44 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:
But the quotas are in place so that cops are actually forced to do their jobs and not look the other way (easy way out, laziness) and to make people realize there are consequences for their actions, even if it is something as minor as speeding.

Seriously, from what I've seen it shouldn't be hard to make quotas. People seem to be doing the wrong thing all the time ... especially speeding.

A sobbing mother, a guy acting like a buddy, a good looking flirt trying to get off...trust me, there are plenty of instances for police officers to play on sympathies and emotions. Or the always, "do you know who I am" or "Do you know who my (insert family member name) is?"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:45 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:
Basically, each cop has to have a certain number of arrests and traffic stops a month to keep their job. Doesn't this put officers in the position of committing false imprisonment or false charges?

That is one way of looking at it. But the quotas are in place so that cops are actually forced to do their jobs and not look the other way (easy way out, laziness) and to make people realize there are consequences for their actions, even if it is something as minor as speeding.

This isn't directed at you Rich, but what are we all trying to prove here? My only point in this conversation was not to paint with a broad brush. Everyone understands there are good and bad in every walk of life - region, profession, race, religion, etc. I think the best comment made was that we are shaped by our experiences.

Maybe Shelby is guilty, maybe he isn't. Maybe the cops roughed him up, maybe they didn't. There could be truths and falsities in each version of the story.

Quotas are for money, the police are money gatherers now, they don't really want to hear peoples problems, they just want to ticket them, city cops are the only cops that have to deal with real crime, and many city cops are on the take one way or another.

Money makes the world go around.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:02 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Finster wrote:
jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

Quotas are for money, the police are money gatherers now, they don't really want to hear peoples problems, they just want to ticket them, city cops are the only cops that have to deal with real crime, and many city cops are on the take one way or another.

Money makes the world go around.

I agree, its nothing more than making money, in Australia, they would have just driven Shelby home.

I support Shelby and this charge will be dropped.

It's a joke we waste tax dollars on crap like this.

d-1

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2