Run Grade - 2.3 - ranked 7th
Pass Block - -3.3 - ranked 17th
Run Block - -4.7 - ranked 14th

Dolphins Defense

Overall - 47.2 - ranked 2nd
Run Defense - 19.9 - ranked 8th
Pass Rush - 15.5 - ranked 3rd
Pass Coverage - 5.4 - ranked 4th

The strategy should be simple here, folks.

On defense, stay away from the soft zones. Aaron Rodgers will pick them apart. Cover his receivers at the line of scrimmage and make them re-route so he has to hold onto the ball a little bit longer. We have to get to him with a 4 man rush. If you're blitzing, you're losing.

The Packers pass protect well, but the Dolphins have the advantage in the middle with Starks, Odrick and Mitchell versus Packers center Corey Linsley. Bring that pressure up the middle and loop your ends so that Rodgers cannot get outside of the pocket. All three of Miami's primary defensive tackles grade out in the top 15. This is where we should attack.

You have to pick your poison with Rodgers so it is best to rush with four, contain him in the pocket, bring pressure up the middle and keep their receivers in front of you. You're not going to 3 and out the Packers offense too often.

On offense, the strategy should be extremely simple. They can't stop the run. We can run it. If we go to the passing game too often, the Packers rush the quarterback well and cover well. We'll be setting ourselves up for sacks and turnovers. Sam Shields and Tramon Williams are pretty good on the outside. Julius Peppers and Clay Matthews are a nightmare bringing pressure.

Run right at these guys. Don't get cute and set up the offense with 3rd and manageable situations. The Packers have 13 sacks and 84 pressures in 5 games. They can bring the rush. Don't make the same mistake we made against the Chiefs, where we played to their defense's strengths.

The best defense against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers offense is an effective running game. Our running game is effective. Let's use it.

Eventually, the South Florida heat will wear them down if that defense stays on the field. So even if we are down 10-14 points, we cannot afford to abandon the run.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:45 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Email this to Joe Philbin and just say its from Lazor and Coyle. Miami might actually win.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:18 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

They have a good power run game and average 4 yds/per carry. It is a big factor in there offense and if we don't stop it. It will be a long day.

I don't think we can just go in and say we are gonna run the ball and it's that easy. You will need points on the board to do that.

I don't think a low scoring grind it out game plan will work if Rodgers hits on a couple big plays.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:13 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Are the Phins running when they want too or when it is advantageous because of the defensive formation they are facing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:15 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm still not sold that we have one of the better running back committees in the league after last season. I know a lot was due to Sherman's offensive mentality (or lack of one), but Moreno and Miller need to put up several more solid games for me to trust them every time they suit up for us. We sucked last year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:58 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

AQNOR wrote:
Are the Phins running when they want too or when it is advantageous because of the defensive formation they are facing.

I've seen several successful runs against 8 in the box this season. Because it doesn't matter if they put 8 in the box, if you're getting a good push you're getting 3-5 yards.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:59 am 

Kev1321 wrote:
They have a good power run game and average 4 yds/per carry. It is a big factor in there offense and if we don't stop it. It will be a long day.

I don't think we can just go in and say we are gonna run the ball and it's that easy. You will need points on the board to do that.

I don't think a low scoring grind it out game plan will work if Rodgers hits on a couple big plays.

You need the running game to keep the offense in manageable third downs.

You don't play to the other team's strengths and have Tannehill drop back 40+ times against Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:40 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I know Miami has enough talent to win this game. But, I'm afraid that Coyle will refuse to play press coverage, and too many times when the running game is working someone decides to focus on passing. If I were the owner, I'd be watching this game very closely. Should Miami lose a close, tough game, fine. If they lose because the coaches call the exact opposite of what a situation calls for, then heads will roll.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:50 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well, the stats are deceiving this time....Moreno is a shadow of himself today and Lamar Miller is running backwards (no, really!). The Raiders game kind of skewed the stats. I don't want the ball in Tannehill's hands the second half, but without a runnin game it seems likely they will lean on him.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]