Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:50 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Miami Dolphins Head Coach Joe Philbin (transcribed by Michelle Stone)

(On why the team didn’t run the ball more on their final possession.) – “Well, I’ll have to go back, but when we met as a staff, all the coordinators – we know the type of quarterback that we’re playing against – we decided. I told Bill [Lazor, offensive coordinator] that we were going to do whatever we have to do to get a first down, whatever the call. I told them to be aggressive. Kevin [Coyle, defensive coordinator] knew that, Bill knew that, Darren [Rizzi, special teams coordinator] knew, everyone in the department knew that and that’s what we decided to do. I didn’t think we protected the quarterback very well on those plays. We have to do a much better job. But that was decided before. We knew – you have to do whatever you have to do to gain a first down. Dom [Capers, Green Bay defensive coordinator] was playing coverage zero, there were eleven guys down, you executed. Again, you have to give them enough credit. They executed better.” ...

(On referring to this game earlier in the week as a measuring stick and what the measure is.) – “Two-and-three. We’re two-and-three and we didn’t play well enough to win the game. We’ve got to go back and play better. I think we had, I guess the last bit of the game a turnover, probably. We had three turnovers. I don’t believe they had any. It’s hard, it’s tough to beat the Green Bay Packers. Minus three is a terrible ratio. It’s hard to do and it was brutal today.” ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... rss#page=2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:19 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

You have to know your enemy to beat your enemy. You have to know Dom Capers is going to blitz late in the game. Dom Capers has been around this league for a very long time and he has always believed in bringing tons of pressure especially late in the game. If you decided you weren't going to run the ball, you should have called a screen. Screen plays were productive all day against this defense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:50 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Overall, I think the game was coached pretty well. When you get beat by a last second TD, there's a hundred "woulda couldas" that would have changed the game..........Clay needed to stay inbounds on that first down catch on the Phins' last possesion, the D should have stopped the Pack when it was 4th & 9, etc. Give credit where credit is do, Rodgers is freaking incredible. The Pack maybe the best team in football now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:55 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I think the team played a great game in spite of the coaches. I know you game plan but you have to ADJUST as the game goes. It baffles me on the last drive you pass, pass, then run, freaking stupid. Even if you do not gain a first down you make them use their time outs and run time off the clock. Then to call not one but 2 time outs for the other team. I guess the punter does not have the option to throw to the ball to the UNCOVERED receiver on the right side of the last punt. I am over this jack a$$ for a coach, should i remind yall of last year him not having a problem with go and go go and continue to use it the rest of the year. He is a jackass and that is all there is to it.
But yes we played a great game against a great team and I had a blast being there, the stadium was rocking and i do not believe we (Phin Fans) were outnumbered but them are some really vocal and loud cheese heads.

I did like the decision to go for the TD on fourth and one from the one, just did not like the play call.

The punt on the last drive of the first half was the right thing to do but I wish we had gone for it.

P.S. I did not want to keep Philpin in the off season, this game was the last straw, he is just a stubborn butthole.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:40 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
Overall, I think the game was coached pretty well. When you get beat by a last second TD, there's a hundred "woulda couldas" that would have changed the game..........Clay needed to stay inbounds on that first down catch on the Phins' last possesion, the D should have stopped the Pack when it was 4th & 9, etc. Give credit where credit is do, Rodgers is freaking incredible. The Pack maybe the best team in football now.

Well coached players don't make a lot of mistakes that beat themselves. Miami is still a team that beats themselves and it is the same type of mistakes, over and over again. Philbins mantra of blame the players... he's done. He will not be coaching thist team next year. 8-8 finish will be his end. Let me see if I can write the script now.

Miami will need a victory against ViQueens or the Jets to enter post-season... loses to both.

BTW.... they're just now entering the teeth of their schedule.... They will be underdogs in 6 of the next 9 games. 2-3 now... 5-9 in 9 more games if all goes to plan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:39 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I'm good with passing the ball on 2nd in that last possession. Execution was terrible, not sure if Tanny had an option of calling out of that play.......but a first down there, seals the win (or very close to it).

Not trying to stand up for Philbin, but the offense was moving and he didn't want to turn the ball over to Rodgers. In hindsight, Tanny should have taken the sack, instead of stopping the clock with an incomplete.........easy to say when you don't have 5 guys barreling down on you.

A lot of folks were upset last year when Philbin called 3 straight runs and took the last minute field goal against the Steelers to go up by 6. Not the same situation, Rodgers is clearly capable of threatening to score a touchdown with anything more than 90 secs on the clock. Point is.......if you thought he should have put it in the air last year, you shouldn't be upset because he decided to do it this year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:45 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

shularino wrote:
I'm good with passing the ball on 2nd in that last possession. Execution was terrible, not sure if Tanny had an option of calling out of that play.......but a first down there, seals the win (or very close to it).

Not trying to stand up for Philbin, but the offense was moving and he didn't want to turn the ball over to Rodgers. In hindsight, Tanny should have taken the sack, instead of stopping the clock with an incomplete.........easy to say when you don't have 5 guys barreling down on you.

A lot of folks were upset last year when Philbin called 3 straight runs and took the last minute field goal against the Steelers to go up by 6. Not the same situation, Rodgers is clearly capable of threatening to score a touchdown with anything more than 90 secs on the clock. Point is.......if you thought he should have put it in the air last year, you shouldn't be upset because he decided to do it this year.

I think its the play design over the call. Quick passes or screens rather than something that allows the defense a chance to pressure the QB. The objective is a 1st down, not a big yardage play.

Then they run on 3rd down with the box stacked. Tannehill even said Philbin made the call on 3rd to run it. Philbin at his press conference today said he got queasy in that moment...yikes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
The Pack maybe the best team in football now.

Eh, I would hesitate to even put them in the top 5. They got blown out by Seattle, beat the 1-5 Jests, lost to an unimpressive Lions team, beat the struggling bears, Vikings, and Dolphins. I would say that's far from crowning them the best team in the league. Hell, even Dallas has been far more impressive than Green Bay.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:39 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
shularino wrote:
The Pack maybe the best team in football now.

Eh, I would hesitate to even put them in the top 5. They got blown out by Seattle, beat the 1-5 Jests, lost to an unimpressive Lions team, beat the struggling bears, Vikings, and Dolphins. I would say that's far from crowning them the best team in the league. Hell, even Dallas has been far more impressive than Green Bay.

Detroit has a good defense this year, but injuries on offense are hurting them now. I think Green Bay is solid, top ten. However, Sunday was Rodgers first win in Florida.....of course, the Dolphins are the victims. I am so tired of seeing reels of great games that end in a Phins loss. You can bet the last game will be shown over and over by the NFL channel.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]