Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:46 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Quote:
“Well, I’ll have to go back, but when we met as a staff, all the coordinators – we know the type of quarterback that we’re playing against – we decided," Philbin said. "I told Bill [Lazor] that we were going to do whatever we have to do to get a first down, whatever the call. I told them to be aggressive. Kevin [Coyle] knew that, Bill knew that, Darren [Rizzi] knew, everyone in the department knew that and that’s what we decided to do."

And so on second-and-nine from the 36, the Dolphins called a pass out of the shotgun formation.

Quote:
And Philbin blames the offensive line, which was outnumbered, for the failure.

"I didn’t think we protected the quarterback very well on those plays," he said. "We have to do a much better job. But that was decided before. We knew – you have to do whatever you have to do to gain a first down. Dom [Capers] was playing coverage zero, there were eleven guys down, you executed. Again, you have to give them enough credit. They executed better."

Quote:
Anyway, the idea of doing whatever must be done to gain a first down apparently didn't carry over to third down. Miller took a handoff and ran left for one yard.

So, you have this idea of moving heaven and earth to gain a first down by passing on second down but on third you go into a shell to play the clock? That does not make sense to me. Either the strategy exists or it does not.
Half-measures are for losers, folks.

If the Dolphins had not gone with the riskier strategy and siumply would have run the football three times and punted they would have worked the clock more in their favor. By my calculations, they would have given the Packers the ball back with 1:50 left to play instead of 2:04.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]