All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:47 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

We just lost to the Green Bay Packers by only 3 points, & with only 3 seconds left.

Do you understand how close this game truly was?

If Moreno punches it in from 4th & goal or if a FG is made the entire game changes.

Even on GB's last drive Rodgers has to convert a 4th & 10 and Jordy has to get out of bounds to stop the clock. Do you realize how improbable that is after converting 8 of 17 3rd downs previously? & almost every one of them were due to Rodgers elite ability to keep the play alive where 30 other QBs would have failed. Theres hardly a way for a defense to scheme against that! If one of those plays doesn't work the game could've been won.

The previous play Rodgers was sacked for the 3rd time (RT sacked once fyi) & then fumbles. If that ball bounces away from the Packers then the game is over.

It was that close.

Sure there could've been decisions that were made differently, or even a ball that could've bounced or tipped another way. But the fact is the Dolphins lost to a great team, with a defense that played way over their heads imo. & they lost by the narrowest of margins.

I don't believe anyone should be benched or fired because of this game

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:50 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Steve Zissou wrote:
We just lost to the Green Bay Packers by only 3 points, & with only 3 seconds left.

Do you understand how close this game truly was?

If Moreno punches it in from 4th & goal or if a FG is made the entire game changes.

Even on GB's last drive Rodgers has to convert a 4th & 10 and Jordy has to get out of bounds to stop the clock. Do you realize how improbable that is after converting 8 of 17 3rd downs previously? & almost every one of them were due to Rodgers elite ability to keep the play alive where 30 other QBs would have failed. Theres hardly a way for a defense to scheme against that! If one of those plays doesn't work the game could've been won.

The previous play Rodgers was sacked for the 3rd time (RT sacked once fyi) & then fumbles. If that ball bounces away from the Packers then the game is over.

It was that close.

Sure there could've been decisions that were made differently, or even a ball that could've bounced or tipped another way. But the fact is the Dolphins lost to a great team, with a defense that played way over their heads imo. & they lost by the narrowest of margins.

I don't believe anyone should be benched or fired because of this game

That's because you have logic and intelligence. We need many more like you!

have a great day!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:13 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Heartbreaker yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:20 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I'm not sure its pitchforks so much as people having a hard time accepting what Miami truly is - a mediocre team that flashes but struggles to close.

The QB isn't elite, the receivers drop key passes, the defense misses opportunities and the head coach doesn't play to his teams' strengths.

Miami will probably pound Chicago next week and people will swing the other way.

Just have to accept this is a 9-7 team at best. They are going to frustrate all of us a few more times this year. But they have several winnable games going forward.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:50 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Nelson dropped passes in the game. Greenbay defense gave up 3 touchdowns in the in the 2nd half.
When it came to crunch time Greenbay D got a stop and the O delivered.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:11 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AQNOR wrote:
Nelson dropped passes in the game. Greenbay defense gave up 3 touchdowns in the in the 2nd half.

I've read this from a few different sources: if Philbin was intent on passing the ball on that final drive why not design a quick screen or quick slant on that 2nd down? Gain some yards and keep the clock moving.

On defense, why is Wheeler - the worst cover LB - being set up to defend a situation where its unlikely he succeed?

They had time to plan both of those situations.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:23 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I disagree. If it weren't the same old issues...I might agree. So our OL which has been tremendous without Pouncey looked average against a piss poor run defense yesterday... That alone speaks volumes. Maybe the coaching staff should quit protecting these veterans and make them out play their replacements to get their jobs back? Mayby in the 4th when you need to run the ball...you do it. Instaed of pass happy Lazor acting like he has A. Rodgers at the helm. Maybe instead of playing Wheeler you put in someone who can play OLB? Jenkins? Or, the other kid who was tearing it up during his absence? Sorry, this is coaching. Tannehill sucks in the first half and suddenly "catches fire" in the 2nd half? That couldn't be play calling could it? I've seen yesterdays story so many times against so many teams. The excuse that it was a good team just doesn't fly. Most good teams treat the Dolphins like a bye week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:23 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:

:awe: :yay:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:26 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
On defense, why is Wheeler - the worst cover LB - being set up to defend a situation where its unlikely he succeed?

Because Coyle is a village idiot. Wheeler shouldn't even be in the NFL. The guy is an embarassment. He can't tackle, he can't cover and his back ups play better..... does it take a freakin' rocket scientist to know this? I said it last year...and I'll say it again. Miami will go nowhere with Coyle as the DC. He's got top teir talent and gets mid-grade results. He sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:34 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

NFLJunkie wrote:
I disagree. If it weren't the same old issues...I might agree.

This is true. Let's say the Dolphins defense fell on the Rodgers' fumble and they win. The same issues - questionable coaching, QB consistency, WR hands, secondary, etc. - are still there next week and the following week.

I have no idea how they are going to fix this. I'm still kind of shocked that they struggled to run the ball early on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:55 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

Because Coyle is a village idiot. Wheeler shouldn't even be in the NFL. The guy is an embarassment. He can't tackle, he can't cover and his back ups play better..... does it take a freakin' rocket scientist to know this? I said it last year...and I'll say it again. Miami will go nowhere with Coyle as the DC. He's got top teir talent and gets mid-grade results. He sucks.

Yes! I finally agree with you on something!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:57 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
I disagree. If it weren't the same old issues...I might agree.

This is true. Let's say the Dolphins defense fell on the Rodgers' fumble and they win. The same issues - questionable coaching, QB consistency, WR hands, secondary, etc. - are still there next week and the following week.

I have no idea how they are going to fix this. I'm still kind of shocked that they struggled to run the ball early on.

Even if they fall on the fumble...this "team" would've found a way to lose. It is what they do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:58 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You are what your record says you are.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:00 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

NFLJunkie wrote:
Even if they fall on the fumble...this "team" would've found a way to lose. It is what they do.

Probably. Just trying to back up you're point that this team is flawed from the top down. I'm not sure a win over Green Bay is a turning point for them based on what we're seeing every week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:07 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well it is sad that we're here in week 5 talking about a rebuild but that is exactly what this team is looking at. 2-3 at the 5 game point isn't good. Trounced by Buffalo and a wounded KC team, pound a hapless raiders team and beat NE in Miami, then lose a heartbreaker. This team is as bad as last year's pretender....or worse.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:12 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

NFLJunkie wrote:
This team is as bad as last year's pretender....or worse.

That is probably an accurate statement which is why I'm not sure stealing a win yesterday would be a turning point.

Miami needs a few convincing wins in a row plus more consistency in execution. Next two games are probably must wins.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:18 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

The thing that absolutely kills me about this play was that they called a time out before it happened

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:27 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
This team is as bad as last year's pretender....or worse.

That is probably an accurate statement which is why I'm not sure stealing a win yesterday would be a turning point.

Miami needs a few convincing wins in a row plus more consistency in execution. Next two games are probably must wins.

Thats true. Maybe it would be a different game had the 4th & goal in the first been converted, since it would've been 10-10 going into half. Hard to say . . . Maybe the defensive scheme could've been better from there.

I believe that consistency & execution has been lacking from this team the past few years, like you say jammer. There are some very talented players in position to make plays but somehow, repeatedly aren't. Thats why i think its rash to blame Coyle wholly.

I also believe that both of Green Bay's offense & defense had to do everything right to win that game. Thats a credit to them but also to Miami because it took every bit for the Packers to over come.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:36 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
I also believe that both of Green Bay's offense & defense had to do everything right to win that game. Thats a credit to them but also to Miami because it took every bit for the Packers to over come.

For the last 20 years the other team has had to do everything right to "overcome" Miami... for the last 20 years Miami has had to do everything wrong to lose.... yet it happens. Last year it was the two straight losses against pathetic teams to miss the playoffs. Another year of this, is another year of the same old Dolphins. They pulled a fake spike on this team yesterday... you don't think the Packer's thought about that play in practice last week? Miami remiains an embarassment. So glad I'm not wasting money on this team right now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:49 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

For the last 20 years the other team has had to do everything right to "overcome" Miami... for the last 20 years Miami has had to do everything wrong to lose.... yet it happens. Last year it was the two straight losses against pathetic teams to miss the playoffs. Another year of this, is another year of the same old Dolphins. They pulled a fake spike on this team yesterday... you don't think the Packer's thought about that play in practice last week? Miami remiains an embarassment. So glad I'm not wasting money on this team right now.

I feel you. Its maddening to feel so close to taking a step forward only to find a way to fail again. Even worse to feel like the same mistakes reoccur game after game, year after year.

I'll say its a whole lot easier on a fan to look at this team in a vacuum of one game though :haha If you can't do that then maybe try cutting 20 years into 3

I'll be honest, I cringe every time i heard someone bring up the fake spike today. I need some time for that wound to heal bro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:35 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
You are what your record says you are.

Amen. One of those wins came to a hapless Raiders team as well, but the Raiders did show signs of life this week against a very good Chargers squad.

I just don't see the Phins as anything better than a mediocre 8-8 squad. Chicago and the Jags are must wins. I am penciling in a loss to the Chargers. That puts the team at 4-4 at the midway point of the season. Right on pace for mediocrity and crappy draft position.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:18 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Had Moreno punched it in or had we kicked a FG on that drive the circumstances for GB would have also changed for GB and who knows how the game would have turned out.
But I agree with the premise of this thread. We can play with any team in this league and this team should be a team that opponents should never take lightly. Still very capable of double digit wins.
WE will look back at this game as a learning experience when we are still plating in late January.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:49 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

FINesse wrote:
Had Moreno punched it in or had we kicked a FG on that drive the circumstances for GB would have also changed for GB and who knows how the game would have turned out.
But I agree with the premise of this thread. We can play with any team in this league and this team should be a team that opponents should never take lightly. Still very capable of double digit wins.
WE will look back at this game as a learning experience when we are still plating in late January.

At least now we know why Moreno couldn't punch it in.

Tough to do on one leg.

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]