All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:03 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

It is hard to say. I didn't mind the defense resetting if they felt they were going to get burned.

Dave Hyde wrote:
5. Did the Dolphins two time-outs on the Packers final drive help Green Bay (which was out of time-outs)? I had no problem with them. The first came before the fourth-and-10 play. The second came before the touchdown when the Dolphins wanted to get a look at the Packers formation (which they did - so they had plenty of time to question Wheeler on Quarless and decided to stay with it.

Here was Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy's response on that situation: “I think that, really, the advantage is to the offense. I actually think those were smart timeouts. When you feel like you’re on your heels a little bit defensively to call timeout, let them reset, and get ready. The defense calling timeout did not give us an advantage…in my opinion.”

Said Rodgers:“I think it’s more of a help to the defense. We were kind of rolling there, after we got the first down on fourth down we got a couple good plays and another first down. I think that kind of settled them down a little bit potentially. We like to play in those situations as quickly as possible and we feel like it’s hard for the defense to get a call in if we’re at the line of scrimmage.”

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... tml#page=1

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:29 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The 4th and 10 was a bad call. The goal line a good one. Rodgers and Greenbays offense had to be feeling pressure on 4th and 10 and had time to settle down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:37 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

NFLJunkie wrote:
The 4th and 10 was a bad call. The goal line a good one. Rodgers and Greenbays offense had to be feeling pressure on 4th and 10 and had time to settle down.

Agree. But there was another time out we're not talking about. Giving Green Bay the ball with 2:04 gave them a hidden time out and the ability to run it up the middle on 1st down while our defense was in a pass formation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:22 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The play calling on the final Dolphins drive was terrible.

I would have rather run the ball 3 straight times, burned as much time as possible and then play defense.

Lazor has already shown he gets too pass-happy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:27 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I didn't like them because it's Aaron Rodgers, if it's Geno Smith thats a different story, but giving AR that extra time can get you killed, as we saw.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:30 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphinjim wrote:
The play calling on the final Dolphins drive was terrible.

I would have rather run the ball 3 straight times, burned as much time as possible and then play defense.

Lazor has already shown he gets too pass-happy.

...So RT could've checked to a run and you said I was wrong for calling him out on it.... are you now saying he should've checked to a run?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:43 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Agree. But there was another time out we're not talking about. Giving Green Bay the ball with 2:04 gave them a hidden time out and the ability to run it up the middle on 1st down while our defense was in a pass formation.

Yea thats spooky bad game management. GB never should've been given the ball before the 2 minute warning. Insanity.

One more run play by us proved to be the difference in the end.

I didn't like the 4th & 10 time out call either. Consider this; even if Miami gets burned by a deep pass & GB scores, it give the Dolphins about a minute to get a kick return & get into FG range. Its not prudent but conversely, giving a GB offense a chance to regroup is a low percentage strategy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:55 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

GB's players and coaches aren't going to admit it, but let me ask you all this:

If GB somehow had a timeout on that final drive, when would they have used it?

AFTER THE SACK!

That's how you know it was a terrible call by Philben

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:33 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here's Coyle's thoughts on it.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Coyle said the timeouts “were good decisions because it gave us a chance to anticipate formations. It also gave our rush guys a chance to catch a little bit of a blow, to be able to crank it up full speed, to make sure that everybody was on the same page. Sometimes, in the chaos of an on the ball drive at the end of a game, you’re worried about the communication and things like that, so you take the time to ensure that everybody is on the same page and we could get things communicated well.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]