All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:57 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I am surprisingly pleased with Philbin at the half way point. Before the season began I was afraid the wheels would have come off by now and that they would be in a death spiral. But his coaching staff has done a great job preparing game plans and has really made progress at making 2nd half adjustments. Philbin has been aggressive by going for it on 4th downs and using his challenge flag. The next 6 games will go a long way in determining Miami's playoff fate. But Philbin has done better than I expected he would half way through the season. The San Diego game was as complete a game as I have seen Miami play in the last 10 years. I give him a solid B+.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:15 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He's 5-3, that's my grade.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:57 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Any teachers here? Whats better than an A+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:26 pm 

B-

Shaky start early on but has shown improvement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:06 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I gave him a C+. Would have been a solid B, but I thought letting the Green Bay game get away was more coaching decisions at the end.

Looked bad in the Kansas City & Buffalo games. Overall though, happy with the team and hope they continue to improve. This can be a playoff team.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:13 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Not sure Philbin is the reason we're doing better, I'm thinking it's more Lazor, but I guess I have to give Philbin credit for hiring Lazor, even though it seems he was kind of forced to fire his buddy Sherman.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finster wrote:
Not sure Philbin is the reason we're doing better, I'm thinking it's more Lazor, but I guess I have to give Philbin credit for hiring Lazor, even though it seems he was kind of forced to fire his buddy Sherman.

Lazor openly said that Philbin was one of the biggest selling points in him taking the OC job here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:03 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Finster wrote:

This is exactly how i'm seeing it too. I see this as more of a coordinater run team. lazer is the big difference this year. And Hickey has made a huge difference for us too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:31 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Finster wrote:

This is exactly how i'm seeing it too. I see this as more of a coordinater run team. lazer is the big difference this year. And Hickey has made a huge difference for us too.

Yes, Hickey has made a impact as well, nearly forgot about him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:07 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I give him a C+ somewhere in there. The loss to the packers and chiefs is what kills his grade for me. The telling sign for me is if he can beat the bills who he we always have trouble with. Also the lions are another big game for me since they're built to beat us like the bills are. If we dont make the playoffs i'd can him. In all honesty even if we make the playoffs and we can get Harbaugh i'd can him. He's a mediocre coach who has a team with some good talent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:15 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Finster wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Finster wrote:

Yes, Hickey has made a impact as well, nearly forgot about him.

Have to give Hickey some serious credit, at least for short term results. He has two good tackles protecting the QB, found a nice slot option in Landry and did a great job bringing in Mitchell/Starks.

He made some good tweaks to get this team in position for a playoff push. He'll have some more flexibility next year when they shed the contracts of Wheeler, Ellerbe and possibly Hartline/Gibson.

As for Philbin, give the guy credit. His players are responding to him and he's letting his coordinators do their job now. I still get the sense he was interfering a bit up until the GB game.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:40 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'll give him a C right now. I'm with Finster in that Philben was forced to fire Sherman, but he did a nice hire in Lazor. Philben is also a very organized person as we can see with the team not missing a beat with him out. The team also pulled together for him this weekend.

Unfortunately if things continue he will be our head coach next year. I guess I can live with that as long as this team plays competitively every week.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:23 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Philbin is a man that EXPECTS RESPECT......
Problem is, I dont think he has done anything within the Building, or in his career that shows that he doesnt need to EARN IT.

The other thing is this... Yes, Philbin is very organized, he understands football, and has a great sense of what NEEDS TO BE DONE.....
Problem is, he is not the one executing his vision. His players are...

Which leads me to believe this: Philbin does not INSPIRE players. There is nothing about this guy that would make me follow him into battle.

BUT, BUT.

I Think he has finally established the long D*CK of the Law.... and he has finally earned the player's trust. And we are starting to see the repercussions of it.

1.) THEY RALLIED AROUND HIM TO WIN ONE FOR HIS FATHER- the motivation to play a full 60 mins was visible, and they took care of business... never seen a more complete game in the past decade
2.) The nonsense over benching Tannehill- The point was provide, the message was sent, improvement has been visible..... don't care how it got across, and the media exploded it more than necessary, but Philbin got under happy go lucky Tannehill's skin and he finally played angry
3.) The 30 yard run on 4th down vs the Bears- Way to go for the kill. Never once did i ever think that Philbin who has been aggressive enough to go for it on 4th down with any more muster than a "gee, well, if this goes well we could win the game" type attitude. That decision, was decisive, and a message was sent!
4.) OFF SCRIPT- When Philbin seems to veer away from the game plan, and game script, things tend to go his way.... Dion Jordan... His goal was to give him 20 snaps in the first game back..... Vernon had a lil injury and next thing you know Jordan played 42 snaps in a win. Like I said, when Philbin isn't so rigid on his snap counts, or stuck on his game plan as doctrine, and works with the feel of the game, success seems to follow.

I would say, at this point right now. If Philbin can steer this ship to a 10-6 record. He will get a contract extension.... that would, in event, put Philbin 2 games over .500 in his Head coaching career... and should be the correct step that we all said was needed for him to retain his job. The same facts still hold true 8 games into the season.

I think we all said that this team would be happy at 4-4 at the mid point of the season... and 3-5 was more realistic.... guess what? We are 5-3..... With 2 consecutive wins before the big Denver game, this Miami team could actually be a player in the divisional crown....

We may be the 9th seed at the moment... BUT
KC is playing Buffalo this week..... and Cleveland is playing Cincy.
If Miami wins, they will be no lower than 7th by default.

Beating Buffalo next week could technically drown that ship.... and make the East a 2 team race... which is exactly what needs to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:09 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Lions dominated the first quarter but from that point on it was a great game. If you are ahead by 3 and the other team has the ball you shouldn’t be calling timeouts unless the team has a goal to goal situation and you are sure you won’t be giving them extra plays. Philbin’s timeout probably prevented OT not sure what he was thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:48 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I give him a D-

Poor clock management all year
Game planning is horrid (half time adjustments won most games)
Media BS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:58 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

we are on our 3rd n 4th string backs, and he put the ball in their hands over the starting QB with the lead and less than 4 min to play...
:hithead:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:59 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
we are on our 3rd n 4th string backs, and he put the ball in their hands over the starting QB with the lead and less than 4 min to play...

That's pretty scary man.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:07 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

10acjed wrote:

I'm not sure that is completely accurate. Damien Williams had started showing signs of life and Tannehill was completing most of the short stuff on the previous drives.

If Williams can chug out 7 yards on two carries to set up the short pass then Miami is fine. They used the roll out on 3rd down but no one got open and the pressure got in too quickly.

Keep in mind Tannehill was pressured on 40% of his drop backs and he's lucky he only took 3 sacks. He had also taken several vicious hits on the previous drive. How long before Detroit can get a strip sack with those odds?

So again, I think Lazor and Philbin went with what had been successful. Asking Tannehill to sling it against a 4 man rush with limited time wasn't a recipe for success.

I don't fault the coaches for those play calls nor do I think it was a lack of faith in the QB. Their run blocking didn't execute when needed and they didn't have a power back to gain the extra yards. The DEs took away Tannehill's ability to run a read option.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:10 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

My mistake, Thomas did gain 5 yards on the first run. Williams was flattened on the 2nd run.

Had Williams even gained just 2 yards it would have set up Tannehill for a short throw or he could have dove for the first. Those extra couple yards make difference.

Again, I think the run blocking failed on 2nd down.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:12 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

jammer wrote:
Keep in mind Tannehill was pressured on 40% of his drop backs.

He was sacked 3 times and pressured 21 times. He had 41 drops backs. That means he was pressured on 59% of his drop backs, a deplorable number.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:14 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Did not work vs Green Bay, and did not work vs Detroit....

I am going to hope next time they just let RT connect some quick passes or roll him out...

If this is our QB, better show some faith in him....

Detroit is the best defense in the NFL, of course they got pressure. Thats why they are the best lol...

Last edited by 10acjed on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

He was sacked 3 times and pressured 21 times. He had 41 drops backs. That means he was pressured on 59% of his drop backs, a deplorable number.

Wow, worse than I thought.

Some of the beat writers were tweeting he was pressured on 40%.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:17 pm 

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

Wow, worse than I thought.

Some of the beat writers were tweeting he was pressured on 40%.

Yeah, that's generous.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:30 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

And I just remembered that the 2nd down run was off the right tackle...which would be Dallas Thomas aka the weakest link on the line at that point. Perhaps that wasn't the best play call.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:09 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Well, from the past two weeks, three things popped out for me:

1. San Diego really sucks at defense.
2. Bill Lazor won that game against San Diego last week, not Philbin. Philbin didn't even do game prep for that week due to unfortunate circumstances. If you ask me, Philbin had ZERO responsibility for that win.
3. When you let Philbin have complete control of the team, ESPECIALLY in end-of-half/game situations, this team loses or nearly loses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:06 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
This week, Philbin hadn't been to practice until Thursday but his coaching staff made sure it was business as usual for the Dolphins and their preparations for facing the Lions on Sunday at Ford Field.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports ... /18617745/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:06 pm 

https://screen.yahoo.com/nfl-now/rapoport-harbaugh-coach-oakland-161914059.html

This is great news. Ross finally realizes that we have an elite head coach. Harbaugh no longer being considered.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:06 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

To his credit, Philbin is following the Teddy Roosevelt philosophy of management.... hire good people then get out of their way and let them do their jobs. At this point, that means he is a complete figure head. Guys like this have won superbowls. Barry Switzer comes to mind.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:20 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

To his credit, Philbin is following the Teddy Roosevelt philosophy of management.... hire good people then get out of their way and let them do their jobs. At this point, that means he is a complete figure head. Guys like this have won superbowls. Barry Switzer comes to mind.

It's also his down fall, see Mike SHerman and gogo go crap.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:04 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Well,
Since the Go Go-Go talk and Philpin did not see a problem with it I wanted him gone. I thought that he was just too darn pig headed, I mean come on he kept the same cadence all year and almost got Tanny killed. I also think he plays the players that make the most i.e. our LB corps, I mean Jenkins did not all of sudden become a stud he was the better player and did not play. That RB Williams how come he is not playing more????? Then there were the time out calls for GB, did it again in Detroit.
However, winning can change minds.
What I think I neglected to do was give him credit for what he has done. He has fought back to a 500 coach (not bad considering), he did bring and help draft some good players, he is very organized (team not missing a beat when he left), half time adjustments have been great this year (horrible last year).
Basically I think he has been improving as a head coach and he will be a good coach. I think we should keep him.
Grade C (500 coach but he is improving)

If you take one rotten stinking minute total from the GB and Detroit games we would be 8-2. I know we are not but darn one minute.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:55 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

This team could easily be 8-2 but because of Philbin, we're 6-4. The Green Bay and Detroit losses are on him. Lazor is starting to piss off some players. I really don't see this team making the playoffs. And if that's the case, it's time to clean house.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:46 am 

Both the Green Bay & Detroit games we were in a position to win. That is what the coach & staff should be asked of. In the end the players have to execute. While you can say we should be 8-2 , there probably is a game or 2 we won that could have gone the other way as well. Coach needs to get credit for that. Anyway , im telling you guys .... get used to this guy. He will be here as head coach for awhile. And when he wins his rings , he will dictate his own circumstances.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:49 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

FINesse may well be right; unless we see a late season melt down like last year, I'd be surprised if we see a changing of the guard this year. Ross sticks with his guys, to a fault. I think it will take a 7 - 9 season for him to make a change, which is unlikely at this point. Maybe 8 - 8, but even that's iffy.

Not saying that's what should happen, just what I think will.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:53 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Lazor is starting to piss off some players

Yeah, I can see why players are pissed at him we are averaging well over 20 points a game......

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]