Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
 Post subject: Buffalo @ Miami
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:28 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Tough loss, gutsy performance and time to move on to the next game.

In my opinion this is a playoff game for Miami. They have to win if they want a shot at the playoffs this year. Its probably going to take 10 wins, and Miami already has games in Denver and New England coming up. They cannot afford a home loss to the Bills.

As of today Miami is favored by 4 to win. That actually surprised me given Buffalo's improved play and their defense is a nightmare for Miami.

Buffalo comes to Miami with that defense which ranks 7th against the pass and 8th against the run. We all saw the fits they gave Tannehill and his protection in Week 2. Now subtract Brandon Albert...yikes. Leodis McKelvin fired the first shot by saying Buffalo will come in and beat Miami's derrieres. We shall see. The Bills sacked Alex Smith 6 TIMES yesterday and had 8 TFLs. They can still bring it.

Buffalo's offense succeeded with a decent ground game and a couple of crushing big plays. Manuel took advantage of some bad coverage and the elite skills of Sammy Watkins. Orton will be much smarter with the football and has been better than expected for the Bills. I'm hoping he doesn't have an Alex Smith type peformance where he looks to his RBs and TEs to pound Miami's LBs. The good news is that Kyle Orton is not Matt Stafford, and Sammy Watkins is not Calvin Johnson. Miami's defense should have an easier time containing them. The bad news is that Finnegan might not play and Jamar Taylor is a liability.

It is impossible to know how Miami's o-line will perform without Albert. I'm guessing it will look like:
LT James, LG Garner, C Satele, RG Pouncey, RT Thomas. I'd like to see Billy Turner get prepped to play.

Lamar Miller's shoulder is clearly bad and his snaps could be limited again. Daniel Thomas's fumble killed what clearly could have been Miami's chance to pick up early momentum in the 2nd half. I really hope Damien Williams gets more snaps if Miller cannot go.

I know everyone is frustrated by Tannehill's inability to connect with Wallace deep. That was evident again yesterday. But I'm seeing a guy who is growing, and while his game has some limitations he is becoming a smarter QB. Yesterday he took what was given to him and moved the ball against the league's best defense. I think he'll look much better on Thursday night than in Week 2 but don't expect him to A. Find success running the ball and B. Have time in the pocket to pick apart the secondary. Buffalo's DEs are too good and will contain him. It will have to be a gutsy, ugly performance for him.

Miami has responded well to adversity this year. Its a short week and each team is coming off of a dogfight. I doubt many guys will be feeling 100%. I expect Miami to play hard knowing what is on the line.

Miami 20

Buffalo 14

Post subject: Re: Buffalo @ Miami
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:51 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
Tough loss, gutsy performance and time to move on to the next game.

In my opinion this is a playoff game for Miami. They have to win if they want a shot at the playoffs this year. Its probably going to take 10 wins, and Miami already has games in Denver and New England coming up. They cannot afford a home loss to the Bills.

As of today Miami is favored by 4 to win. That actually surprised me given Buffalo's improved play and their defense is a nightmare for Miami.

Buffalo comes to Miami with that defense which ranks 7th against the pass and 8th against the run. We all saw the fits they gave Tannehill and his protection in Week 2. Now subtract Brandon Albert...yikes. Leodis McKelvin fired the first shot by saying Buffalo will come in and beat Miami's derrieres. We shall see. The Bills sacked Alex Smith 6 TIMES yesterday and had 8 TFLs. They can still bring it.

Buffalo's offense succeeded with a decent ground game and a couple of crushing big plays. Manuel took advantage of some bad coverage and the elite skills of Sammy Watkins. Orton will be much smarter with the football and has been better than expected for the Bills. I'm hoping he doesn't have an Alex Smith type peformance where he looks to his RBs and TEs to pound Miami's LBs. The good news is that Kyle Orton is not Matt Stafford, and Sammy Watkins is not Calvin Johnson. Miami's defense should have an easier time containing them. The bad news is that Finnegan might not play and Jamar Taylor is a liability.

It is impossible to know how Miami's o-line will perform without Albert. I'm guessing it will look like:
LT James, LG Garner, C Satele, RG Pouncey, RT Thomas. I'd like to see Billy Turner get prepped to play.

Lamar Miller's shoulder is clearly bad and his snaps could be limited again. Daniel Thomas's fumble killed what clearly could have been Miami's chance to pick up early momentum in the 2nd half. I really hope Damien Williams gets more snaps if Miller cannot go.

I know everyone is frustrated by Tannehill's inability to connect with Wallace deep. That was evident again yesterday. But I'm seeing a guy who is growing, and while his game has some limitations he is becoming a smarter QB. Yesterday he took what was given to him and moved the ball against the league's best defense. I think he'll look much better on Thursday night than in Week 2 but don't expect him to A. Find success running the ball and B. Have time in the pocket to pick apart the secondary. Buffalo's DEs are too good and will contain him. It will have to be a gutsy, ugly performance for him.

Miami has responded well to adversity this year. Its a short week and each team is coming off of a dogfight. I doubt many guys will be feeling 100%. I expect Miami to play hard knowing what is on the line.

Miami 20

Buffalo 14

The Lions came out to win yesterday, and it was evident with the two fake-punts, early in the game. But, Dion Jordan really saved this game and it was the big momentum swing for us, and brought us back to life and put Detroit on its heals. We should be able to beat Buffalo at home, if we come out to play. This team needs to put a chip on its shoulder and come out fast and play with authority to win. Look what the Jets did to the Steelers.

d-1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:08 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

If we can get ahead two scores early that should end the game.

I know it'll be tough as their defense is legit, but we've shown we can do it before, so we must do it again.

Bills can't counter a 14 point deficit, they don't have enough fire power.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:07 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

IamPZ wrote:
If we can get ahead two scores early that should end the game.

I know it'll be tough as their defense is legit, but we've shown we can do it before, so we must do it again.

Bills can't counter a 14 point deficit, they don't have enough fire power.

Miami can do that against a weak pass rush or a horrendous QB, but the Bills have neither. Unless Tannehill unleashes a great 1st drive and the defense responds with a turnover TD I'd have a hard time thinking they can get a big lead early.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:09 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

If Miami can keep it tight and make Orton press in the 2nd half they can probably get the wheels to come off for him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:51 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:

I'd hate to sound pessimistic, but it is going to be tough. Don't expect to see any deep passes even attempted. We'll see a lot of quick passes as we saw against the Lions. Tannehill excels at this.

Here's how a couple of our Dolphins did after Branden Albert went out due to his ACL/MCL injury:

Quote:
### Pro Football Focus gave James by far Miami’s worst grade of any offensive player, which seemed harsh. PFF justified it by pointing out that James allowed five quarterback hurries and struggled in run blocking. But James was competent when he moved from right tackle to left tackle after Albert’s injury.

PFF gave Miami’s second-worst grade to right guard Mike Pouncey, who allowed two sacks and four hurries.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:50 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Couple of additional notes:

The Bills defense has 31 sacks and 12 interceptions in 9 games. Wow.

Kyle Orton seems to be spread the ball well but doesn't attack down field too much. Sammy Watkins is slowed by a groin injury. Miami will need to watch out for former teammate Chris Hogan who seems to be doing pretty well as a slot receiver.

Miami will not have to worry about CJ Spiller's big play ability. Fred Jackson is also still limited so they'll face a committee of RBs.

The Orton led Bills have scored 17, 22, 17, 43 and 13. The 43 came against the Jets with Geno Smith completing more passes to the Buffalo secondary than his own team. Buffalo's offense ranks 18th in passing and 20th in running.

Miami has some injury issues. Miller is still not completely healed and Tannehill has an injured throwing shoulder. Why is the latter significant? Remember the Jets game last year when he was slinging weakened passes due to knee and hand injuries? Like it or not, Tannehill still likes to squeeze some tight throws and lacking the extra mustard could lead to problems.

All that said there are still some factors that favor Miami. Its a home game, so they don't have to deal with all of that Buffalo emotion (Wilson, Kelly, new owner keeping team in Buffalo) and Buffalo won't have fully healthy Watkins, Jackson and Spiller (who is out).

The passing offense is better than in Week 2. Despite some hiccups and missed opportunities I think we've seen better performances. Now, Dallas Thomas vs Mario Williams will all but eliminate rolling out to the right so that could be a serious neutralizer. If Dion Sims can return to help out Thomas that will be a relief.

After reviewing it more I'm altering my prediction more in Miami's favor. Buffalo's weapons have been reduced and Orton will not mount any comebacks. LaMichael James could be a nice factor in the passing game for Tannehill, and I expect they will stick to short throws to move the chains.

Miami 24

Buffalo 13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:01 pm 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

This is going to be a low scoring affair. I'd bench anybody you got on these teams in fantasy.
I'm predicting a 17-14 loss for Miami. The wheels are going to come off of the fan base who put so much faith in this team this year (evident by the chat at the end of the game last Sunday).

Reality strikes us again. We're a mediocre team with a flash in the pan from time to time.

And this isn't being a downer either, just what I think is going to happen.
I'll be sitting on my couch, laptop open talking with you guys, praying we beat the brakes off them suckers 41-3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:46 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Miami opened the week as 4.5 point favorites. That had increased to 6 points and then settled at 5.

I'm a little surprised at the odds given the loss of Albert and the strength of Buffalo's defense. Leads me to think Vegas has little faith in Buffalo's offense beating Miami's defense.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:58 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Miami opened the week as 4.5 point favorites. That had increased to 6 points and then settled at 5.

I'm a little surprised at the odds given the loss of Albert and the strength of Buffalo's defense. Leads me to think Vegas has little faith in Buffalo's offense beating Miami's defense.

I dont know how anyone could feel good about the Bills offense vs the Dolphins defense...

Be lucky to get 50 yards from the RB's. Hoping they go hurry up, and run some roll outs etc and make the bills lineman run around in the sun...

If Philbin thinks he can beat this team conservatively it will be another long day...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:04 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

10acjed wrote:
Hoping they go hurry up, and run some roll outs etc and make the bills lineman run around in the sun...

Isn't it a night game?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:55 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Buffalo won in Miami with a sack, strip fumble to win in the 4th last year. It was a game where Miami should have ran the ball more. They are going to have to really connect on a few big plays to win. I actually like the fact that Orton is playing over a more mobile QB. I think that plays into Miami's DL and will help. These two teams are as close as it gets in talent. Whichever team comes to play will win. Coaching and STs will figure in just like last week.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:05 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Can't figure out why we're favored by 5 but it makes me feel better about this game. Vegas always knows.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:39 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:
Can't figure out why we're favored by 5 but it makes me feel better about this game. Vegas always knows.

:)

I hear that! I guess the experts aren't as worried about losing Albert as we are.

I sincerely hope that Lazor learned from facing the Bills D-line last time, & even Detroit's last week, & has a smarter plan to start.

I'm calling for 31-16 Dolphins victory!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:21 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

swerve13 wrote:

Look at the numbers. Orton has not produced versus a good defense. Miami's defense has held even the best QBs to limited performances. Rodgers was a lucky fumble bounce away from a loss.

The offense is better now than it was in Week 2, even if it is still not consistently reaching it's potential.

Buffalo doesn't have the benefit of a home crowd and some emotional boost. It also sounds like Fred Jackson is going to sit tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:01 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Considering the schedules and it's divisional game, this is a must win for both teams, particularly the the Phins who could fall literally fall 2 games behind the Bills and Chiefs with a loss. The Bills would be one game up & 2-0 against the Phins, the Chiefs could be 7-3 with a win over Seattle at home. Glass half full, the Phins are very much alive with a win...........a Chiefs' and Pats' loss would be very nice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:32 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
LT James, LG Garner, C Satele, RG Pouncey, RT Thomas.

I think Smith will be the LG. I am pretty sure Smith was in at LG in the Detroit game.

LT James, LG Smith, C Satele, RG Pouncey RT Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:23 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Bryce Brown is a known fumbler and he's starting tonite. Lets rip that ball out boys!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:35 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:37 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:38 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:39 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:40 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:42 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:43 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:45 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

NASCAR King - Richard Petty - A Dolphins Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:46 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:47 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:48 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:49 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:50 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:51 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:08 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:16 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Thanks for the pics d-1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:32 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Cool to learn that the King is a phin fan.
Thanks d-1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:14 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

NP - riding on cloud 9...!

d-1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:19 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

D1...you must have a field pass to get photos like that