Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:12 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

The Good

Ryan Tannehill - I'm putting him in the good because he overcame a lot of things to be able to lead the Dolphins to a victory. But his game certainly had some blemishes. Let's talk about what he did well first. Obviously, Tannehill cleaned his game up in the second half, throwing 2 TDs against a defense that has consistently rattled him for two years. He completed a lot of passes, getting rid of the ball quickly and accurately enough to allow his receivers to gain yards after the catch. Despite being sacked 5 times and hit a lot more, he showed resiliency, keeping his composure to come out and compete well in the second half. His stat line is solid, completing 76% of his passes and throwing 2 TDs and no interceptions.

But his pocket awareness was especially bad in this game after showing improvement the past few weeks. Some of the sacks were the fault of the offensive line’s poor pass protection, but some were on Tannehill for not recognizing where pressure was coming. The last Mario Williams sack sticks out as Tannehill had enough room to climb the pocket but didn’t. It was actually good protection by Dallas Thomas, but he gave up the sack because Tannehill didn’t step up. He also had the fumble while running the ball and another curious play on 3rd and 2 where he had plenty of room to run for a first down and instead chucked it deep to Brandon Gibson, who had pushed off the DB and was called for offensive pass interference.

But again, despite these blemishes, Tannehill showed toughness. He’s been a durable player and anyone who can sit there and take 58 sacks and over 100 hits in a season should never have their toughness questioned. The fact that Tannehill had these blemishes in his game and yet was still able to put up the numbers he did speaks to his improvement. That being said, there is still a lot of work for him to do to continue getting better.

Jarvis Landry – Yes, he fumbled on the punt return, but he made up for it with that touchdown. Landry has been a consistent playmaker for the Dolphins, making people miss with the ball in his hands and providing a nice safety blanket for Tannehill.

Lamar Miller – Gained 5.7 yards per carry, which begs the question – why isn’t he being used more? Despite a shoulder injury, Miller ran tough and kept the defense honest.

Brian Hartline – He’s had a quiet season and his days as a Dolphin may be numbered given his productivity versus his contract, but Hartline made some big plays to set up scores in this game, catching two short crossing patterns and turning them into big gains. Hartline has been asked to run a lot of vertical routes this season and has struggled getting open, but the Dolphins may have something here using him running across the field rather than up the field.

Brent Grimes – He held Sammy Watkins to 3 catches for 32 yards. If you recall, Watkins killed the Dolphins in their last match up against the Bills, doing most of his damage against Will Davis. Grimes neutralized that and outside of Chris Hogan, the Bills had no one else who could threaten the Dolphins in the passing game.

Defense – The Miami defense struggled a bit early, giving up too many yards on first down plays and failing to stop the Bills on 6 of 8 third downs in the first half. But they tightened up in the second half and held the Bills to 0-7 on third downs. They also made life miserable for Kyle Orton, who was accurate and decisive early on, but fell apart in the second half thanks to the consistent pressure the Dolphins were able to bring. When it was all said and done, the defense allowed 237 total yards, 54 yards on the ground, allowed 6 of 15 third down conversions, and most importantly, held the Bills to 9 points for the game.

Brandon Fields – He’s had a terrible season, but he put two of his three punts inside the 20 and one of them contributed to the intentional grounding call on Kyle Orton for a safety. It is not about average or net average; it is about placing the ball inside the 20 and forcing the other team to drive the field. Fields contributed to eliminating those hidden yard for the Bills.

The Bad

My biggest complaint is how ugly the game was, especially in the first half. I expected a low scoring affair, but for a while it looked like we’d have a baseball score. The Dolphins continue to start slow. They are doing a disservice to the fan base by worsening all of our blood pressure.

The Ugly

Offensive Line – Pass protection was awful. There is no other way to put up. Aside from 5 sacks allowed, they also allowed 16 pressures. That means Tannehill was sacked or pressured on 54% of his drop backs. By my count, he was sacked or pressured on 59% of his drop backs against the Lions. Again, these are deplorable protection numbers in back to back games. Granted, it is against two of the best defensive lines in the league and the injury to Brandon Albert hurts. Conversely, the offensive line did a good enough job of run blocking against a stout front that the Dolphins were able to rush for more than 5 yards per carry. This is a difficult situation for the offensive line. There has been so much shuffling it is hard to keep up. So given the circumstances, I am hopeful things will get better, but they need to get better quickly.

Overall

Huge win! The Dolphins were finally able to overcome a Bills defense that has given the offense fits. 19 points in the second half is promising, they just need to figure out the first half. It was ugly but they got the job done. Hopefully getting this monkey off their backs catapults them to bigger things.

That being said, the Dolphins fly to Denver to face an elite team next Sunday. This will probably be their most difficult game of the year. The Broncos defense is legit and we do not need to talk about their offense. Let’s hope the Dolphins defense can make it tough for Peyton Manning and the offense can do enough to win.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:23 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Nice job Rich.

For Miami to beat a team like Denver 3 plays from Tannehill need to be corrected:

The fumble in the red zone

Not running for an easy 1st down to get in FG range

Missing the TD throw to Wallace (not the deep pass, the late 4th Qtr throw that was poorly placed)

Those three plays cost Miami at least 13 points. We're talking 32 - 9 instead of 22 (play 3 still resulted in a FG). The good news is that all three are very correctable.

Unless Manning has a bad throwing day next week I can't see Miami's defense keeping to Denver to less than 24 points. The offense has little room for error.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:01 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

28 is the magic number vs the Broncos. We have to score 28. The defense is great, but Manning is ridiculous. I think 24-28 is the realistic range we can hold them to.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:00 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Why does Manning always look so befuddled against the Pats? Whatever BB is doing, we need to study it and duplicate it.

That said, I believe the key is interior pass rush. Starks and Odrick need to have a big day IMO, and Grimes needs to erase his half of the field.

On offense, ride Lamar Miller. Score first and don't settle for field goals.

Right now, I don't see us winning this game unless we can rattle Peyton. If it's a shootout, we lose.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:18 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Very nice work, Rich, as usual.

k-dash wrote:
Why does Manning always look so befuddled against the Pats?

Heck, maybe someone can sneak into Manning's hotel room and hypnotize him into seeing the Patriots jersies every time he looks at us on the field.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:54 pm 

k-dash wrote:
Why does Manning always look so befuddled against the Pats? Whatever BB is doing, we need to study it and duplicate it.

That said, I believe the key is interior pass rush. Starks and Odrick need to have a big day IMO, and Grimes needs to erase his half of the field.

On offense, ride Lamar Miller. Score first and don't settle for field goals.

Right now, I don't see us winning this game unless we can rattle Peyton. If it's a shootout, we lose.

They did a film study on this. It's actually very simple. The Patriots disguise their defense until there are about 8-10 seconds left on the play clock. Manning does a lot of analysis prior to the snap and defenses tend to give things away. The Patriots defense doesn't show until its time to go and while Manning may still decipher you, it increases the probability that he will guess wrong.

The Dolphins do a lot of pre snap disguising as well. They should make it a point to hide the scheme until late in the game play clock.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:04 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I hope we don't have to hear In-com-plete all game. I didn't like how Hogan was so open in the slot last night. I don't even want to begin the nightmare of imagining Demarious Thomas or Emmanuel Sanders that open.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:48 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Peyton Manning has a (5-7) record versus Miami..

Only 3 teams have a winning record vs Manning.... New England, Seattle and Miami.

Other than New England, that is obviously in his head.... Its Miami that screws with him too..... Seattle is 2-1 against him.

Just throwing it out there.... Manning isnt very good vs Miami either.

And Miami has done very well in Denver historically. Miami is 11-5-1 against Denver....

Miami is 4-4-1 against Denver AT DENVER....

And if you take the bracket of the 1998 to present.... which is the last 9 games... since it looks like Miami didnt play Denver at all between 1985-1998 Weird?

Miami has gone 6-3 in the last 9 games.... going 2-3 @ Denver (all three of the losses in that stretch- one being a playoff game)

Just saying.... No matter how big the Denver Juggernaut is... Historically, Miami matches up well against both Peyton, and the Broncos.

This COULD be a winnable game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:07 pm 

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Peyton Manning has a (5-7) record versus Miami..

Only 3 teams have a winning record vs Manning.... New England, Seattle and Miami.

Other than New England, that is obviously in his head.... Its Miami that screws with him too..... Seattle is 2-1 against him.

Just throwing it out there.... Manning isnt very good vs Miami either.

And Miami has done very well in Denver historically. Miami is 11-5-1 against Denver....

Miami is 4-4-1 against Denver AT DENVER....

And if you take the bracket of the 1998 to present.... which is the last 9 games... since it looks like Miami didnt play Denver at all between 1985-1998 Weird?

Miami has gone 6-3 in the last 9 games.... going 2-3 @ Denver (all three of the losses in that stretch- one being a playoff game)

Just saying.... No matter how big the Denver Juggernaut is... Historically, Miami matches up well against both Peyton, and the Broncos.

This COULD be a winnable game.

Honestly, most of those stats are irrelevant.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The one thing that you HAVE to do is get pressure in Peyton FACE. Just like Miami got pressure on Brady and disrupted him, if they get pressure on Peyton, the same can be done.

Miami must score TD in the game against the Broncos and Ryan MUST finally start hitting the big ball to Mike Wallace. If plays are there to be made, they HAVE to be made in this game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:40 pm 

phinsfansc wrote:
The one thing that you HAVE to do is get pressure in Peyton FACE.

I agree.

k-dash wrote:
I believe the key is interior pass rush. Starks and Odrick need to have a big day IMO

They have such undeniable weapons, but the key is clearly Manning. Get in his head, and we can win this game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:46 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:
The one thing that you HAVE to do is get pressure in Peyton FACE.

When the Colts were part of the AFC East, we had success against Peyton by putting pressure on him and having our corners jam his receivers at the LOS.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:52 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
Obviously, Tannehill cleaned his game up in the second half, throwing 2 TDs against a defense that has consistently rattled him for two years. He completed a lot of passes, getting rid of the ball quickly and accurately enough to allow his receivers to gain yards after the catch.

This is Tannehill's fourth game where he posted 100+ passer rating ... this year. That blows my mind. With Lamar Miller running well, Miami's OL run blocking well, and our defense that kept an oppontent out of the end zone for the second time in 3 weeks, this could be a surprise team down the stretch. I have my fingers crossed. I'd love a sweep of the Patriots.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:01 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

k-dash wrote:
Why does Manning always look so befuddled against the Pats?

The Pats have cameras and microphones installed all through Denver and Indy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:30 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Good write up. Tannehill also annoys me with taking a sack when he can throw the ball away. On one pass he had a back standing 10ft from where he was sacked. He simply had to spike it at his feet. You mentioned not climbing the pocket on another. Well the 3rd one was the batted pass back to him. He should've launched it OB to the original target...the back in hte flat. Instead he looked for a soft landing.

Defense - They're still not getting good coverage on the outlet WR...usually a TE. The LB is way too late to react to the guy coming out off the LOS>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:31 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Miami has historically played Denver tough. Let's hope that holds true. If they can get to Peyton...he'll get happy feet and start getting inaccurate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:18 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

NFLJunkie wrote:
Well the 3rd one was the batted pass back to him. He should've launched it OB to the original target...the back in hte flat. Instead he looked for a soft landing.

If I read this correctly, you are saying after he caught the batted ball he should have thrown it again. Its a flag if he throws it forward again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:19 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He should have batted it down, but it happened so fast.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:27 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Nice job Rich.

Rich's blog articles always gets 1500+ direct hits.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:41 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

It will be nice when players and units have games where they don't fit under the good and bad categories, just the former.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]