View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Rich: Leadership 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Rich: Leadership
Quote:
Leadership
by Rich

That was the theme of the Miami Dolphins 2010 draft. Yes it was heavy on the defensive side. But there are a few reasons for that. The first reason of course is the fact that the Miami Dolphins defense was porous last season. There were needs in the front seven and deep secondary. Those were addressed, over and over and over again.

But leadership was another reason. On offense, you have emerging leaders in Chad Henne and Jake Long. But on defense, your leaders went out the door when Porter and Taylor left and when Ferguson was suspended for half the season.

So how did the Dolphins address that?

7 of their 8 draft picks were team captains.

The approach was also to do what the Dolphins always do. They needed defensive and offensive line help in 2008. They drafted two defensive linemen and two offensive linemen. They needed safety help in 2009. They drafted two cornerbacks. This year, linebacker was a major need.

They drafted four. Two outside linebackers and two inside linebackers. Some fans may get frustrated at the approach and it is understandable. You still need a tight end and perhaps a running back for the future. But the philosophy of the Trifecta is to basically go for too much rather than not enough.

This was also another meat and potatoes draft, as the Dolphins were front seven intensive. They intend to do everything possible to stop the run and pressure the quarterback. And that's what many of the moves made this offseason, from Dansby to Odrick to Misi, do.

Odrick will probably be lining up a lot at defensive side with Randy Starks reportedly moving to the middle at nose tackle. Misi will fit in at outside linebacker. And on the offensive side, Parcells has always liked monstrous offensive linemen, so he drafted John Jerry, a 6'5 328 lbs mountain of a man from Ole Miss.

Lastly, this draft was special teams intensive as well. You can expect Nolan Carroll to be a gunner on special teams and you can expect a couple of the linebackers to make the team as special teams guys.

But my favorite pick was Reshad Jones in the 5th round. This guy may turn out to be a steal. He has ball skills, hitting ability and great size at 6'1 214 lbs. I believe he will have a future in the Dolphins deep secondary.

All in all, not a sexy draft. But several needs were addressed. Let's see how these moves play out.

http://www.phinfever.com/newsite/index. ... 4&Itemid=1

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:08 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Rich: Leadership
Good read thanks.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:21 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Re: Rich: Leadership
I completely agree with Rich and his perspective.

IMO our offense only needs one position addressed and it only cost a 2nd Round Pick(Brandon Marshall). We're still a run first, opponents better stack 8 in the box and if/when we fall into 2nd & long and 3rd & long the field can be stretched. (I do not believe the Trifecta has not given up on Fasano, he got rocked early last season and suffered fumbilitis.)

Now on to the Leadership aspect of our draft picks I see as a great positive. These guys were leaders, the rest of their college team looked to for motivation and to be their teacher on the field. These guys find ways to make NFL team and if they're restricted as athletes their high motors and smarts will turn them into impact players on Special Team at the very least.

I love our draft strategy (BPA and multiple picks @ same positon. They're abuilding a team how it should be built, from scratch and the needs addressed a season at a time. If and when the Jets faulter and/if the Vikings fail as well it should show the rest of the NFL signing big names in FA does not work. These teams are this decade's Raiders / Redskins.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:49 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Just another note on Jones..he did 24 reps at the combine which was tied for second among safeties!!

looks to be a pretty strong dude hopefully he can lay the smack down too!!..

Hope your right here Rich and we DID actually steal ourselves a safety..

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:27 am
Phinfever FFL Commish
Phinfever FFL Commish

Nice write-up. Great research on the "team captains" aspect of our draft. Can't wait till pre-season!

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:33 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

nice read, didn't know all those guys were team captains.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:36 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Good job, Rich.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:41 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

good write-up Rich.......I truly believe the Fins needed to bring in some guys with leadership qualities......hopefully there is a good mix of vocal/silent leaders........that is usually a big help on and off the field.

Go Phins!

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:25 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Jones can hit. No worries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXbnf_M84S8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kP5nmyNSgk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R1Ryqw3 ... re=related He looks like Reed with his picks in this video.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:15 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

hypocritex wrote:
He looks like Reed with his picks in this video.

Funny you say that, I had the exact same thought after watching his highlights, but am very wary about comparing an unproven rookie to someone the likes of Ed Reed.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:33 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

joeschmoe wrote:
hypocritex wrote:

Funny you say that, I had the exact same thought after watching his highlights, but am very wary about comparing an unproven rookie to someone the likes of Ed Reed.

He only looks that way because he was drafted by the Dolphins. Samson Satele was gonna be the starting center for the next 10 years, John Beck an elite quarterback, and Lorenzo Booker the next Brian Westbrook.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:11 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
hypocritex wrote:

He only looks that way because he was drafted by the Dolphins. Samson Satele was gonna be the starting center for the next 10 years, John Beck an elite quarterback, and Lorenzo Booker the next Brian Westbrook.

No, it's because highlight reels show just that, highlights. They emphasize the positive while leaving out any and all negatives. Nearly every NFL player can show a flash of greatness, but consistency is what truly makes you great.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:16 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

joeschmoe wrote:
No, it's because highlight reels show just that, highlights. They emphasize the positive while leaving out any and all negatives. Nearly every NFL player can show a flash of greatness, but consistency is what truly makes you great.

Exactly. Not to beat a dead horse, but this is why I was so critical of people wanting CJ Spiller just because of a couple of highlight videos.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:23 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

joeschmoe wrote:
hypocritex wrote:

No no no. I'm not comparing him to Ed Reed at all. I am saying he looks like Ed Reed in the way he makes some of those picks. Two different things all together.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:16 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

hypocritex wrote:
No no no. I'm not comparing him to Ed Reed at all. I am saying he looks like Ed Reed in the way he makes some of those picks. Two different things all together.

Lost me there.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
hypocritex wrote:

Lost me there.

Don't know how I lost you. I am not comparing a rookie Safety who hasn't seen an NFL game yet to the legend of Ed Reed. I am saying how they look alike in some of those interceptions. I am in no way saying this guy is going to be Ed Reed or anywhere or anything like him. Just saying.. Ed Reed is whom he looked like when making those picks in that video. The way he came out of nowhere to snatch the ball.. Which Reed has a penchant for doing.

But, I am in no way endorsing this guy as the next Reed. Or saying he is anything like him. Just that in the interceptions shown in the video... That's who it looks like.

And as far as I know.. It's fair to say that.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:26 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

Exactly. Not to beat a dead horse, but this is why I was so critical of people wanting CJ Spiller just because of a couple of highlight videos.

You could say that about any of the guys you wanted drafted as well........

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Good stuff Rich, really liked the read.
I guess if we're going to send our veterans packing, and we are lacking leadership, then you can try to draft leadership??? I've never heard of anyone drafting leadership. Hopefully we didn't pass on more talented players to take guys with leadership experience. I personally like all of the picks because I have a small understanding of how they probably will fit into the new defense. But, I really hope these guys were rated on top of our draft boards because of their skills/potential and not just because they were team captains.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]