View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:18 pm



Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Rich: Leadership 
Author Message
Online
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8741
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Rich: Leadership
Quote:
Leadership
by Rich

That was the theme of the Miami Dolphins 2010 draft. Yes it was heavy on the defensive side. But there are a few reasons for that. The first reason of course is the fact that the Miami Dolphins defense was porous last season. There were needs in the front seven and deep secondary. Those were addressed, over and over and over again.

But leadership was another reason. On offense, you have emerging leaders in Chad Henne and Jake Long. But on defense, your leaders went out the door when Porter and Taylor left and when Ferguson was suspended for half the season.

So how did the Dolphins address that?

7 of their 8 draft picks were team captains.

The approach was also to do what the Dolphins always do. They needed defensive and offensive line help in 2008. They drafted two defensive linemen and two offensive linemen. They needed safety help in 2009. They drafted two cornerbacks. This year, linebacker was a major need.

They drafted four. Two outside linebackers and two inside linebackers. Some fans may get frustrated at the approach and it is understandable. You still need a tight end and perhaps a running back for the future. But the philosophy of the Trifecta is to basically go for too much rather than not enough.

This was also another meat and potatoes draft, as the Dolphins were front seven intensive. They intend to do everything possible to stop the run and pressure the quarterback. And that's what many of the moves made this offseason, from Dansby to Odrick to Misi, do.

Odrick will probably be lining up a lot at defensive side with Randy Starks reportedly moving to the middle at nose tackle. Misi will fit in at outside linebacker. And on the offensive side, Parcells has always liked monstrous offensive linemen, so he drafted John Jerry, a 6'5 328 lbs mountain of a man from Ole Miss.

Lastly, this draft was special teams intensive as well. You can expect Nolan Carroll to be a gunner on special teams and you can expect a couple of the linebackers to make the team as special teams guys.

But my favorite pick was Reshad Jones in the 5th round. This guy may turn out to be a steal. He has ball skills, hitting ability and great size at 6'1 214 lbs. I believe he will have a future in the Dolphins deep secondary.

All in all, not a sexy draft. But several needs were addressed. Let's see how these moves play out.


http://www.phinfever.com/newsite/index. ... 4&Itemid=1

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:08 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3443
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
Good read thanks.


Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:21 am
Profile
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 80
Location: South Miami Heights
 Re: Rich: Leadership
I completely agree with Rich and his perspective.

IMO our offense only needs one position addressed and it only cost a 2nd Round Pick(Brandon Marshall). We're still a run first, opponents better stack 8 in the box and if/when we fall into 2nd & long and 3rd & long the field can be stretched. (I do not believe the Trifecta has not given up on Fasano, he got rocked early last season and suffered fumbilitis.)

Now on to the Leadership aspect of our draft picks I see as a great positive. These guys were leaders, the rest of their college team looked to for motivation and to be their teacher on the field. These guys find ways to make NFL team and if they're restricted as athletes their high motors and smarts will turn them into impact players on Special Team at the very least.

I love our draft strategy (BPA and multiple picks @ same positon. They're abuilding a team how it should be built, from scratch and the needs addressed a season at a time. If and when the Jets faulter and/if the Vikings fail as well it should show the rest of the NFL signing big names in FA does not work. These teams are this decade's Raiders / Redskins.

_________________
"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
Twitter: @ToneOzMIA


Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:49 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:19 am
Posts: 257
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
Just another note on Jones..he did 24 reps at the combine which was tied for second among safeties!!

looks to be a pretty strong dude hopefully he can lay the smack down too!!..

Hope your right here Rich and we DID actually steal ourselves a safety..


Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:27 am
Profile
Phinfever FFL Commish
Phinfever FFL Commish
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:46 pm
Posts: 220
Location: Oak Ridge, TN
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
Nice write-up. Great research on the "team captains" aspect of our draft. Can't wait till pre-season!

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:33 am
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 pm
Posts: 1022
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
nice read, didn't know all those guys were team captains.

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:36 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 887
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
Good job, Rich.


Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:41 am
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 253
Location: Tampa, FL
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
good write-up Rich.......I truly believe the Fins needed to bring in some guys with leadership qualities......hopefully there is a good mix of vocal/silent leaders........that is usually a big help on and off the field.

Go Phins!


Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:25 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
Jones can hit. No worries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXbnf_M84S8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kP5nmyNSgk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R1Ryqw3 ... re=related He looks like Reed with his picks in this video.

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:15 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
hypocritex wrote:
He looks like Reed with his picks in this video.


Funny you say that, I had the exact same thought after watching his highlights, but am very wary about comparing an unproven rookie to someone the likes of Ed Reed.

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:33 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
joeschmoe wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
He looks like Reed with his picks in this video.


Funny you say that, I had the exact same thought after watching his highlights, but am very wary about comparing an unproven rookie to someone the likes of Ed Reed.


He only looks that way because he was drafted by the Dolphins. Samson Satele was gonna be the starting center for the next 10 years, John Beck an elite quarterback, and Lorenzo Booker the next Brian Westbrook.

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:11 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
Iowafin wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
He looks like Reed with his picks in this video.


Funny you say that, I had the exact same thought after watching his highlights, but am very wary about comparing an unproven rookie to someone the likes of Ed Reed.


He only looks that way because he was drafted by the Dolphins. Samson Satele was gonna be the starting center for the next 10 years, John Beck an elite quarterback, and Lorenzo Booker the next Brian Westbrook.


No, it's because highlight reels show just that, highlights. They emphasize the positive while leaving out any and all negatives. Nearly every NFL player can show a flash of greatness, but consistency is what truly makes you great.

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:16 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
joeschmoe wrote:
No, it's because highlight reels show just that, highlights. They emphasize the positive while leaving out any and all negatives. Nearly every NFL player can show a flash of greatness, but consistency is what truly makes you great.


Exactly. Not to beat a dead horse, but this is why I was so critical of people wanting CJ Spiller just because of a couple of highlight videos.


Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:23 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
joeschmoe wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
He looks like Reed with his picks in this video.


Funny you say that, I had the exact same thought after watching his highlights, but am very wary about comparing an unproven rookie to someone the likes of Ed Reed.


No no no. I'm not comparing him to Ed Reed at all. I am saying he looks like Ed Reed in the way he makes some of those picks. Two different things all together.

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:16 pm
Profile
Online
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8741
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
hypocritex wrote:
No no no. I'm not comparing him to Ed Reed at all. I am saying he looks like Ed Reed in the way he makes some of those picks. Two different things all together.


Lost me there.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
Big Dave wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
No no no. I'm not comparing him to Ed Reed at all. I am saying he looks like Ed Reed in the way he makes some of those picks. Two different things all together.


Lost me there.


Don't know how I lost you. I am not comparing a rookie Safety who hasn't seen an NFL game yet to the legend of Ed Reed. I am saying how they look alike in some of those interceptions. I am in no way saying this guy is going to be Ed Reed or anywhere or anything like him. Just saying.. Ed Reed is whom he looked like when making those picks in that video. The way he came out of nowhere to snatch the ball.. Which Reed has a penchant for doing.

But, I am in no way endorsing this guy as the next Reed. Or saying he is anything like him. Just that in the interceptions shown in the video... That's who it looks like.

And as far as I know.. It's fair to say that.

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:26 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21123
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
Phins Rock wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
No, it's because highlight reels show just that, highlights. They emphasize the positive while leaving out any and all negatives. Nearly every NFL player can show a flash of greatness, but consistency is what truly makes you great.


Exactly. Not to beat a dead horse, but this is why I was so critical of people wanting CJ Spiller just because of a couple of highlight videos.


You could say that about any of the guys you wanted drafted as well........

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:43 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: Rich: Leadership
Good stuff Rich, really liked the read.
I guess if we're going to send our veterans packing, and we are lacking leadership, then you can try to draft leadership??? I've never heard of anyone drafting leadership. Hopefully we didn't pass on more talented players to take guys with leadership experience. I personally like all of the picks because I have a small understanding of how they probably will fit into the new defense. But, I really hope these guys were rated on top of our draft boards because of their skills/potential and not just because they were team captains.


Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:32 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Dave, dolfan91, FrustratedFinFan, Google [Bot], rhoads30, swerve13, TommyNoleFin and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.