Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:22 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -to-texans

Quote:
Teams that selected players who have outperformed their draft position so far:

Dolphins: I'm including OT Ja'Wuan James (1-19) here because of all the criticism Miami took for reaching. He definitely belonged in the first round.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:54 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I was looking back at the past few drafts, and was shocked by the number of undrafted free agents that are stars, starters or have decent roles on a team. Just to name a few of the more well known names, in 2009 Dannell Ellerbe, Arian Foster, Brian Hoyer. 2010 Junior Galette, Chris Ivory, Victor Cruz. 2011 Larry Donnell, Doug Baldwin. 2012 Vontaze Burfict, Duke Ihenacho.

Hard to say for 2013 since they are all still really young, but they have guys like Khiry Robinson on the list, Tim Wright (Guy who Tampa traded for Logan Mankins), Joseph Fauria, Paul Worrilow. But even back to 07 Matt Moore was an undrafted FA, so was Pierre Thomas, James Ihedigbo. Brent Grimes in 06. 05 obviously Cam Wake, John Denney, Brandon Browner, Josh Cribbs.

Crazy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:00 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

We're either being criticized for reaching and the criticism turns out to be justified or we're drafting a guy where he was supposed to be drafted and he doesn't pan out.

Good to see things swing the other way for once. James has his issues to work on, but he's been a capable player and should get better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:05 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000403481/article/2014-nfl-draft-doover-blake-bortles-goes-no-1-to-texans

Quote:
Teams that selected players who have outperformed their draft position so far:

Dolphins: I'm including OT Ja'Wuan James (1-19) here because of all the criticism Miami took for reaching. He definitely belonged in the first round.

This pick hasn't gotten the credit it deserves. James has been a plug and play T from day one. He was even able to switch over to LT after Albert's injury and did great.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:13 pm 

He hasn't done great at LT. He's given up 9 pressures in the past two games. He hadn't given up more than 2 pressures in any game at RT. Obviously there is an adjustment period.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:17 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

James was a great pick. and with the Landry pick, the 2014 class is looking like the best draft of the decade so far for a Miami team.

My biggest concern for James is how he handles himself over the last 6 games. And that is not to say the whole what have you done for me lately perception.

BUT- 2 of the biggest concerns with plug and play college players is how do they handle the pressure, and wear of a 16 game schedule..... coming from 10 games in HS, and 12 games in college. Durability will be a key factor in this pick being gold or not... How he handles games AFTER thanksgiving.

Secondly, James was a U of Tennesee pick. SEC schools are great..... but I want to see how he does when the weather gets cold... Buffalo just got a massive blizzard, at least we dodge that bullet... But Denver on Sunday should be a chilly affair.... followed by a road trip here to NYC where I will be of the thousands attending..... Its cold as a witch's nipple out right now, and colder at night.... I am expecting a game around 35 degrees. Dont forget there is a road game in New England coming up too..

Of the final 6 games- all 3 road games are all potentially very cold. Lets see how this kid performs in those conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:40 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I'm glad James is working out for us.

Its a novel idea to redraft but not every good player would necessarily produce with another team. I doubt Mosely would be as good in Jacksonville's system as he is in Baltimore's. Also, I believe Kelvin Benjamin has been working harder than expected because he has chemistry with Newton, & probably wouldn't have that with Stafford.

Why is everyone obsessed with the Rams getting WRs? If anything they should've drafted Derek Carr, not Brandon Cooks. & Tavon Austin was a dumb move the previous year.

Since St Louis continues to make the same mistakes over & over by putting hope in Bradford, I'm glad Miami never got Jeff Fisher. He appears a loser to me now because the team has the same problems as when he started. Without Philbin/Sherman we never would've gotten Tannehill. & with Fisher we wouldn't of gotten Coyle or Lazor, who seem to be figuring things out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:02 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I think thats a harsh statement about Fisher...

Bradford signed a 6 year contract in 2010...
$50 million guaranteed (Signing Bonus + 2010-2013 base)
Incentives (NLTBE): $8 million
2010 Roster Bonus: $2.88 million
2011 Roster Bonus: $8.42 million
2011 Signing Bonus: $17.975 million
2012 Roster Bonus: $6 million

Fisher signed on as coach in 2012. He inherited the Bradford contract, and couldnt do anything about jettisoning him prior to 2015. The cap hit for getting rid of Bradford this season PRIOR to injury would have been $17 million..... in 2015 they will only have a $3.5 million dead money penalty for the rest of his signing bonus if they were to get rid of him now.

Either way, Fisher could not do a darn thing other than deal with what he inherited.... and He couldnt go out and spend money on a FA QB.... since Bradford is bringing in a whopping $17 million this season.. so the only option was to be to draft a QB.... and groom one behind Bradford.... and then he got hurt!

Can't blame Fisher for that... you really cant.

Still glad we didnt get Fisher, but even so... you can't blame Fisher for their QB issue.. and seeing that the Rams just beat Denver.. and have been stuck in one of the hardest divisions in football these past 2 seasons... and held their own to some standard... can you really say he's done a bad job??

It'd be like inheriting the Jets after Mark Sanchez got his extension.... playing in a division with New England... and Miami/Buffalo both on the rise. Cant blame the coach for the past regime's financial problems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:18 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

But he chose the Rams because he thought he had somthing in Bradford. That and a bunch of picks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:32 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Kev1321 wrote:
But he chose the Rams because he thought he had somthing in Bradford. That and a bunch of picks.

Plus he had more "GM" powers than he was going to get here.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:55 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

He chose the rams because it was a job..... He spent a year out of Football. He was the longest tenured coach in the NFL at 16 seasons before he took the Rams job. Fisher is 56 years old, sooooo yea.... he was the head coach of the titans in his late 30's.

Spent 1 year out of football, and when the head coaching carousel started spinning, he was one of the top available. He was going to get a job, but think about his options... I mean come on, The perception was that Miami was a jaded franchise, he wasnt going to come here. The Rams looked the most attractive of all the jobs available... probably because of Bradford.

But as I mentioned earlier.... He was stuck with Bradford from the beginning.. I doubt he picked the Rams for reasons other than the level of competition in the West at the time in 2012, the salary which i believe was a very nice contract, proximity to home (gotta assume that he established some roots in Tennessee and St Louis is at least a drivable distance on long weekends), and the perception of a better roster

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]