Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:58 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Is Denver's offensive line really this bad, or is this just a convenient narrative to nitpick?

"It's worse than bad — it's horrendous," said Mark Schlereth, the ESPN analyst and ex-Broncos Pro Bowl offensive lineman. "I watch every game of every team every week. It's bad technique-wise, athleticism-wise, toughness-wise. If I was grading, giving an F would be kind."

I caught up with him while co-hosting Nate Kreckman's 102.3 ESPN show, and seldom have I ever heard a sports person more candid about anything. At one point, John Elway's old teammate said, "I know I'm going to get a bunch of texts and calls for this, but I'm sick. I just broke down three (Denver) game films and it's sickening.

"The Broncos won't beat anybody come playoff time, nobody, unless we're healthy at the receiver position, running circles around people, and No. 18 is just shredding people. If there's a we-have-to-run-it situation, if there's a third-and-2, we might as well punt, because we're going to get shoved in the backfield."

"I just watched (division rival) Kansas City, basically lay it on Seattle, and their O-line is fun to watch. And then I just watch (the Broncos) stuff, and I just want to throw up. ...

"We can sit here and dance around the subject, but they need to fire them all and start over."

It's too late to do that. It'll be fascinating to see how Denver's maddening matadors respond in these next two games, including one against fellow first-place foe Kansas City.

http://www.denverpost.com/portal/lunchs ... loopback=1

We ready...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:06 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Hes speaking as a fan and former player rather than an analyst its by far not the worst line or as bad as he makes it. If you read thes tuff here as if some guys were analysts then miami is the worst team with a joke at qb and hc and dc. Deenver has some troubles yes but if they were as bad as schlereth says they wouldn't be as good as they are.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:32 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Manhattan wrote:
Hes speaking as a fan and former player rather than an analyst its by far not the worst line or as bad as he makes it. If you read thes tuff here as if some guys were analysts then miami is the worst team with a joke at qb and hc and dc. Deenver has some troubles yes but if they were as bad as schlereth says they wouldn't be as good as they are.

They got dominated in the trenches by the Rams this past Sunday. They were not looking at Incognito for nothing.

They will play better being in Denver, but they do have issues.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:20 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Well the rams are pretty goodon the dline so getting dominated by them isnt the end of the world. Schlereth says they should all be fired lol i jist think hes being a fan and overreacting. Oakland, jacksonville, new orleans, and a few others have worse olines than denver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:41 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

phinsfansc wrote:
Manhattan wrote:

They got dominated in the trenches by the Rams this past Sunday. They were not looking at Incognito for nothing.

They will play better being in Denver, but they do have issues.

Denver's offensive line is rated 2nd in pass blocking efficiency by PFF. They have allowed 8 sacks and 70 pressures all season long.

I'm sure some of that has to do with Manning getting rid of the ball quickly.

Individually, Orlando Franklin, Chris Clark and Louis Vazquez all get positive pass blocking grades. Manuel Ramirez and Ryan Clady, not so much.

Their run blocking is not very good, though.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]