Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:14 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... n-contract

Well, it is tough to compete with colleges and their deep pockets. Also, it is easier on the coach. We'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:19 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

From what I have read, he has been extremely adamant about staying in the NFL. I'd be surprised to see him go back to the NCAA.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:20 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

NFLJunkie wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000445264/article/michigan-offers-jim-harbaugh-sixyear-48-million-contract

Well, it is tough to compete with colleges and their deep pockets. Also, it is easier on the coach. We'll see what happens.

Lots of talk about Ross engineering this whole thing and Harbaugh using Michigan as leverage.

Forget who put it in an article but they basically said this move by Michigan is to stop SF from trading Harbaugh and giving him power to choose. If Ross can get Michigan to start the bidding too high then he gets Harbaugh without much NFL competition.

I keep saying it - if Ross gives Harbaugh control (probably meaning bring Gamble on board), pays him more than anyone and Harbaugh views Tannehill as a top 10 QB then he just might be Miami's next coach.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:26 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Wonder how opinions of him will sway if he decides he wants someone else under center.

Quote:
Quite frankly, at the time he was benched, Smith was one of the best quarterbacks in football. Period. His numbers were spectacular midway through the 2012 season:

153 of 218, 70.2%, 1,737 yards, 8.0 YPA, 13 TD, 5 INT, 104.1 rating
Only 21 quarterbacks have posted a passer rating of 104.0 or better (and they did it a combined 31 times); 15 of those 21 quarterbacks ended up in the Hall of Fame (or will someday soon).

Smith ended up on the sideline holding a clipboard.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:32 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000445264/article/michigan-offers-jim-harbaugh-sixyear-48-million-contract

Lots of talk about Ross engineering this whole thing and Harbaugh using Michigan as leverage.

Forget who put it in an article but they basically said this move by Michigan is to stop SF from trading Harbaugh and giving him power to choose. If Ross can get Michigan to start the bidding too high then he gets Harbaugh without much NFL competition.

I keep saying it - if Ross gives Harbaugh control (probably meaning bring Gamble on board), pays him more than anyone and Harbaugh views Tannehill as a top 10 QB then he just might be Miami's next coach.

Gamble would be an instant upgrade over Hickey. Not that Hockey is a bad GM but you let Gamble bring in his own scouts and we are in business

Last edited by TommyNoleFin on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:21 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

10acjed wrote:
Wonder how opinions of him will sway if he decides he wants someone else under center.

That is probably a hindsight thing. I bet a lot of people would just accept his decisions at first. But if Tannehill goes elsewhere and finds success while Harbaugh's guy does not...well his reputation in Miami will not be stellar.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:07 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Gary, all a bargaining tool if he chooses to stay in the NFL. Look for $9-$10 million per year to sniff his way from NFL suitors.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:01 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think he goes to the Raiders. He can hire his own GM, etc, there. He'd have full control, but they will have to pay him. I really don't think the Dolphins will have a chance to get him.

Personally, I'd like it if he went to Michigan. The 49ers are hoping to get a couple high draft picks for him even though they don't want him.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:12 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't believe Miami has a chance and I don't see him ending up in Michigan. I think Harbaugh wants that Super Bowl trophy for one. Also, I don't think Harbaugh wants to be in involved with recruiting and everything that college brings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:06 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
I don't believe Miami has a chance and I don't see him ending up in Michigan. I think Harbaugh wants that Super Bowl trophy for one

Well Tony, this says he won't go to the Raiders or Dolphins if he wants to go to a Super Bowl contending team. However, I am of the mindset that Northern California and the Raiders probably have the best crack at getting him. The only way I do see Miami getting into the picture is if Ross pays him some left field absurd amount of money and gives him the full control.

My gut tells me Miami will offer him a lot more money than Oakland will because they are typically stingier, but I think California rules in his family's heart. The Michigan job offer will just drive up the price of whomever ends up landing him is my take.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:30 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

My guess is it will be Miami or Oakland, unless a dark horse like Atlanta can come in and convince him that Matt Ryan has a better chance to get him a Super Bowl faster.

Go for the money and better roster in Miami or the comforts of home in Oakland.

This isn't like Nick Saban realizing he couldn't simply buy a QB and hope for the best. Harbaugh has tasted success and proven he can coach up talent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:13 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Comes here . wins a gazillion super bowls.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:33 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I don't think money will be an object with Ross. Compensation may be an issue, but I think Harbaugh goes where he wants to go and that would where he has more power. I'm still thinking Raiders or Michigan.

https://twitter.com/davehydesports/stat ... 2475514880

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:49 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He's not available yet. He's still under contract for another year at SF and they haven't fired him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:24 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I've heard stinky rumors that Michigan will interview Schiano!! UGH! Now my alma mater would have to play their former coach... that would suck.

Hopefully Harbaugh goes to michigan.... and all you Harbaugh nut suckers can get blue balled for the rest of the winter!

Harbaugh is not the answer. Will not be the answer. Locker-room cancer. Benches his better QB for no apparent reason other than a minor injury. Lost half of his veterans due to his college minded headbutting attitude. And he doesnt play nicely in a Front Office that is far more stable than Miami's.

We already have out Office cancer- its the black widow Dawn Aponte. We dont need another person wagging the big dong in front of everyone else to showboat.

Harbaugh = Saban. Glorified College coach that can not coach grown men. It might work in the short term, but the bomb will go off eventually. His players hate him, its been reported all season. I'd rather try and find a long term solution.

Rex Ryan for HC next season, thats where id want to go

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:55 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

SkyHigh314 wrote:

Harbaugh = Saban. Glorified College coach that can not coach grown men.

Yep.

Michigan is where he should go, whether he knows it or not.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:45 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Harbaugh = Saban. Glorified College coach that can not coach grown men. It might work in the short term, but the bomb will go off eventually. His players hate him, its been reported all season. I'd rather try and find a long term solution.

:haha

Too funny, but so true.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:07 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He has had 3 consecutive appearances in the NFC Championship game and gotten to a Super Bowl. If you want to say he can wear on a locker room, that is a valid point.

But before he got to San Fran, they were a mess.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:59 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

before he got to san fran the entire NFC West was a mess. Arizona dominated that division without having much of a good team after Warner the crap fell apart. The Rams were a mess, and only now does Fisher have something to build on (remember 3 seasons ago, The State of Missouri KC and STL had 3 or 4 total wins). Seattle and SF came on strong together, but that was all.....

Miami is actually in a MUCH STRONGER division than SF. Harbaugh wont have over night success based on a circumstantial past experience.

Alex Smith was a good QB- and was one of the best rated passers the first year under Harbaugh, then got benched
Frank Gore was a top 5 RB before Harbaugh got there.
Vernon Davis was a top 5 TE before Harbaugh got there.

Receivers were a lil shaky... but their line wasnt bad. Anchored by Anthony Davis out of my R-U! There defense was underachieving but had good players around.

the 6-10 49ers were not as bad as the 6-10 team Philbin inherited. At least they had a QB and RB... which we did not. Harbaugh will not be an overnight success. AFC Championship will not happen with him immediately, and he will lose the team by year 4 so have fun with that.

My statement before still holds true. Go back to college, not to Miami, We tried the drill sergeant thing with Saban.... It rubbed off real bad, and caused the sinking downward spiral to sink even further... Best years of JT's career, and the end of ZT's prime..... Culpepper over Brees.... lets not even rehash those memories

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]